treeduck

Just read that Andrew Watt tested positive for covid-19. He's only 29 and had to get emergency treatment. Recently produced Ozzy's "Ordinary Man" and was reportedly working with him on a follow-up. :(

Ozzy better stay indoors.

• Like 3

Just read that Andrew Watt tested positive for covid-19. He's only 29 and had to get emergency treatment. Recently produced Ozzy's "Ordinary Man" and was reportedly working with him on a follow-up. :(

Yeah, I'd guess Ozzy's immune system, not to mention his liver and kidneys, is pretty well punch drunk by now.

• Like 1

Apparently people with Type A blood are 63% more likely to be infected or die from COVID-19 than people with Type O, according to a study of 2000 patients with the virus in a hospital in Hubei, China.

People with Type A blood are MORE likely to catch coronavirus than those with Type O, study claims

Scientists studied the breakdown of coronavirus patients by their blood type

Found the normal distribution of blood types altered in infected populations

People with type A blood were significantly more likely to contract virus

In the general population Type O blood (34%) is more common than A (32%)

But in the infected this was reversed with Type O just 26% while Type A was 38%

Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

A person's blood type may make them more susceptible to catching the novel coronavirus spreading around the world, a new study claims.

The research states an individual with type A blood is significantly more likely to catch the virus than someone with type O blood.

It also appears people with type A blood are more likely to die from COVID-19.

More than one in four (41 per cent) of the coronavirus deaths in the study were people with type A blood. In the normal and uninfected population, just 34 per cent of people have type A blood.

People with type O blood made up a quarter (25 per cent) of deaths in the research. Normally, type O people make up 32 per cent of people in Wuhan.

The controversial correlation has yet to be scrutinised by other academics in peer review and the researchers are unable to explain why infection varies by blood type.

Researchers in China assessed 2,173 people who had been diagnosed with the coronavirus, including 206 people who died after contracting the virus, from three hospitals in Hubei.

Academics compared the data of the infected Wuhan patients with 3,694 non-infected people in the same region.

Of the 206 patients in the study who died, 85 had type A blood, equivalent to 41 per cent of all deaths.

In the healthy Wuhan population, a city of 11 million people, 34 per cent of people are type A.

In the study cohort, 52 of the people who died were type O, making up a quarter of all deaths. Under normal conditions just 32 per cent of people are type O.

The figures for all infections, not just deaths, are 26 per cent and 38 per cent for type O and type A, respectively.

The researchers point out that a larger study group would make the figures more reliable.

The coronavirus pandemic has infected almost 200,000 people and killed more than 7,800 worldwide. More than 3,000 deaths were in China, the disease's ground-zero.

The researchers write: 'Blood group O was associated with a lower risk of death compared with non-O groups.

'To the contrary, blood group A was associated with a higher risk of death compared with non-A groups.'

The researchers believe this correlation may reveal type O people are less susceptible to the SARS-COV-2 virus.

'People of blood group A might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection,' wrote the researchers in their paper, which has not yet been peer-reviewed but has been published online on medrxiv.

'Sars-CoV-2-infected patients with blood group A might need to receive more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment. '

The researchers add: 'It might be helpful to introduce ABO blood typing in both patients and medical personnel as a routine part of the management of Sars-CoV-2 and other coronavirus infections, to help define the management options and assess risk exposure levels of people'.

Then I’ve got another ‘check’ on the Those At Risk list:

1) Type A blood

2) used to have asthma

3) cancer survivor

4) used to smoke (though the last time was in 2011 there’s no denying I was a daily smoker for nearly 10 years)

Up to last Thursday I was going to work via train...and trains here still have plenty of commuters. Since Friday I’ve actually been sick (no fever or temperature) and at home. I’m mostly ok now but will see the doc again tomorrow and will likely return to work on Monday.

• Like 1

Since they've survived everything else, maybe Ozzy and Keith Richards have immunity and we should all get some of their blood.

• Like 2

Since they've survived everything else, maybe Ozzy and Keith Richards have immunity and we should all get some of their blood.

f**k that. That’d be like taking a jug of water from the Mekong Delta and chugging the entire container

• Like 3

Long ago, Keith Richards claimed that he never got sick while he was doing heroin. "I owe it all to the poppy", he said.

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Overreacting is putting it mildly...

That's the mindset that will get people killed. The time to react is a month ago. We should have been hunkering down then. If we all did, then this thing would have had a fair chance of dying out by now. Instead we are at least one order of magnitude worse off (amount of spread) than we were. It will keep spreading unchecked unless we limit humans contact with each other.

I cannot conceive of people's inability to understand these simple concepts.

Let's come back to this post in a month. We'll see who's right.

I have played incredibly close attention to our media for the past 5 years. Enjoy the hype...

2 days ago Italy was registering 1 death every 4 minutes from COVID19. Stop and think about that peeps. That's not hype.

The thing is about to hit critical mass in the US. See you in a month. I hope.

We can discuss numbers and exponential growth then.

As long as it's in context I'll be happy to...

Apparently people with Type A blood are 63% more likely to be infected or die from COVID-19 than people with Type O, according to a study of 2000 patients with the virus in a hospital in Hubei, China.

People with Type A blood are MORE likely to catch coronavirus than those with Type O, study claims

Scientists studied the breakdown of coronavirus patients by their blood type

Found the normal distribution of blood types altered in infected populations

People with type A blood were significantly more likely to contract virus

In the general population Type O blood (34%) is more common than A (32%)

But in the infected this was reversed with Type O just 26% while Type A was 38%

Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

A person's blood type may make them more susceptible to catching the novel coronavirus spreading around the world, a new study claims.

The research states an individual with type A blood is significantly more likely to catch the virus than someone with type O blood.

It also appears people with type A blood are more likely to die from COVID-19.

More than one in four (41 per cent) of the coronavirus deaths in the study were people with type A blood. In the normal and uninfected population, just 34 per cent of people have type A blood.

People with type O blood made up a quarter (25 per cent) of deaths in the research. Normally, type O people make up 32 per cent of people in Wuhan.

The controversial correlation has yet to be scrutinised by other academics in peer review and the researchers are unable to explain why infection varies by blood type.

Researchers in China assessed 2,173 people who had been diagnosed with the coronavirus, including 206 people who died after contracting the virus, from three hospitals in Hubei.

Academics compared the data of the infected Wuhan patients with 3,694 non-infected people in the same region.

Of the 206 patients in the study who died, 85 had type A blood, equivalent to 41 per cent of all deaths.

In the healthy Wuhan population, a city of 11 million people, 34 per cent of people are type A.

In the study cohort, 52 of the people who died were type O, making up a quarter of all deaths. Under normal conditions just 32 per cent of people are type O.

The figures for all infections, not just deaths, are 26 per cent and 38 per cent for type O and type A, respectively.

The researchers point out that a larger study group would make the figures more reliable.

The coronavirus pandemic has infected almost 200,000 people and killed more than 7,800 worldwide. More than 3,000 deaths were in China, the disease's ground-zero.

The researchers write: 'Blood group O was associated with a lower risk of death compared with non-O groups.

'To the contrary, blood group A was associated with a higher risk of death compared with non-A groups.'

The researchers believe this correlation may reveal type O people are less susceptible to the SARS-COV-2 virus.

'People of blood group A might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection,' wrote the researchers in their paper, which has not yet been peer-reviewed but has been published online on medrxiv.

'Sars-CoV-2-infected patients with blood group A might need to receive more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment. '

The researchers add: 'It might be helpful to introduce ABO blood typing in both patients and medical personnel as a routine part of the management of Sars-CoV-2 and other coronavirus infections, to help define the management options and assess risk exposure levels of people'.

Then I’ve got another ‘check’ on the Those At Risk list:

1) Type A blood

2) used to have asthma

3) cancer survivor

4) used to smoke (though the last time was in 2011 there’s no denying I was a daily smoker for nearly 10 years)

Up to last Thursday I was going to work via train...and trains here still have plenty of commuters. Since Friday I’ve actually been sick (no fever or temperature) and at home. I’m mostly ok now but will see the doc again tomorrow and will likely return to work on Monday.

For me it's:

1) O Blood

2) No asthma

3) No cancer

4) No smoking

Which means I'll get it next week and be gone by June!

Yeah, I'd guess Ozzy's immune system, not to mention his liver and kidneys, is pretty well punch drunk by now.

Also he's had a string of illnesses and injuries over the past year or so.

I keep thinking back to the days of no internet (and when out-of-town phone calls cost a fortune) to imagine how much worse this type of shut-in COULD be! At least we can all still easily communicate. :)

I think us still being able to communicate like this is what will help get us through. We're still in contact with people in some way. So maybe the need to get out for a lot of people won't be so bad as long as we are able to text and facetime with our loved ones.

I still have to go into work though. My job requires doing things on site that can't be done at home. Fortunately, I only live two and a half miles away. So, I just hop in my truck and I'm there in no time. If work, home and the grocery store is all I can do for the next month or two it might get a little boring but given the circumstances I can easily accept it.

• Like 3

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and every other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Every year, tens of thousands die from influenza in this country.

Why haven't we had quarantines, shutdowns and hoarding all these past years?? WHY NOT??!!

Why haven't we had 24/7 coverage of the influenza pandemic every year??!! WHY NOT??!!

We've gotten used to the flu and brush it off as nothing. That's why.

• Like 2

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and every other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Why haven't we had quarantines, shutdowns and hoarding all these past years?? WHY NOT??!!

Why haven't we had 24/7 coverage of the influenza pandemic every year??!! WHY NOT??!!

Precisely! :ebert: The influenza viruses are old news. Who cares about all the people dying from them every year? We have to obsess over the New Bug in Town.

• Like 1

Probably DPR or RnB will get it in an ironic twist.

I figure I pretty much deserve to get it based on my skepticism. :LOL:

Me too. Haven't changed a thing and won't. Hell I'm isolated all day anyway :LOL:
  • Like 1

Can you hear all the televisions turning off if our media tried to push the flu in this kind of way? Smh
  • Like 2

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Most of us do not have to worry but the elderly and sick people do. We have to quarantine ourselves so it does not keep spreading and infecting them. When people first started dying in Seattle they said 24 people had died but 18 of them were from the same Nursing home.
  • Like 3

Long ago, Keith Richards claimed that he never got sick while he was doing heroin. "I owe it all to the poppy", he said.

Isn't that a Limp Bizkit song? :bump:

• Like 1

Me too. Haven't changed a thing and won't. Hell I'm isolated all day anyway :LOL:

Same here. I go to work every day, go to the store if I need to and do whatever else I usually do. The only exception will be this coming Friday and every Friday after that until the governor decides restaurants can open again, because my wife and I generally go out to eat every Friday but that is on hold. Frankly, I don't care too much, although I do enjoy going places with my wife, but I feel bad for all the many workers who will not have income except maybe unemployment, during this time.

• Like 1

Same here. I go to work every day, go to the store if I need to and do whatever else I usually do. The only exception will be this coming Friday and every Friday after that until the governor decides restaurants can open again, because my wife and I generally go out to eat every Friday but that is on hold. Frankly, I don't care too much, although I do enjoy going places with my wife, but I feel bad for all the many workers who will not have income except maybe unemployment, during this time.

This^^^. The financial hit many will take through zero fault of their own bugs me the most. I was listening to some talk radio today and a single mother of 3 called in and said she hadn't been feeling great but still needed to work to feed her kids. The host shamed her from top to bottom. Easy for him to say...smh
  • Like 2

Most of us do not have to worry but the elderly and sick people do. We have to quarantine ourselves so it does not keep spreading and infecting them. When people first started dying in Seattle they said 24 people had died but 18 of them were from the same Nursing home.

Exactly.
  • Like 1

This^^^. The financial hit many will take through zero fault of their own bugs me the most. I was listening to some talk radio today and a single mother of 3 called in and said she hadn't been feeling great but still needed to work to feed her kids. The host shamed her from top to bottom. Easy for him to say...smh

A talk radio host slagging a single mother who's stuck in that position...sounds like just another loudmouth prick lucky enough to have a program to broadcast.

I often hear people say that they don't wish any ill will on others. First, I don't believe many of those people. It's just a nice thing to say but in my opinion, not their real thoughts. Second, I sometimes do. And that radio host sounds like someone who I wouldn't mind having the same troubles TENFOLD that that poor caller faces. Of all the things he could've said (or not said at all!) he shames her?! All he had to do is say, "I'm sorry to hear you're going through this." or "I'm sorry I don't have any good words for you."

• Like 4

That is what people don't get, anyone can be a carrier without symptoms and then they spread it around to others. The flattening the curve effect is to keep the numbers down so our hospitals won't be overrun. That's why we needed our government to pay attention and not blow if off like it was nothing. We are fighting against a wave that started weeks ago but we just didn't know it because of the lack of testing capability. This isn't something we can just ignore, we are all in it together. This is uncharted territory and we need to work together or we sink together.

As for the comment that Ebola wasn't as bad, that is completely wrong. It killed 50 percent of the people who got it. We also had a Pandemic Task Force that went to West Africa to help fight the disease there.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the West African country of Guinea. Additional cases have since been reported in the countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as Nigeria and Senegal. To date, there have been more than 22,500 reported Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,900 deaths. At home, U.S. medical teams have treated 12 Ebola patients — all but two recovered.

Since the start of the outbreak, the United States has sent more than 3,000 DOD, CDC, USAID, and other U.S. health officials to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea to assist with response efforts, as part of a 10,000-person U.S.-backed civilian response. With their help, the U.S. government has:

• Constructed 15 Ebola treatment units in the region
  • Provided more than 400 metric tons of personal protective equipment and other medical and relief supplies
  • Operated more than 190 burial teams in the region
  • Conducted aggressive contact tracing to identify chains of transmission
  • Trained health care workers and conducted community outreach
  • Worked with international partners to identify travelers who may have Ebola before they leave the region

Thanks to their efforts, and the work of countless others from around the world, the number of people who are contracting Ebola has declined sharply from peak levels.

So what have we done this time? Pretend it doesn't exist, wish it away despite the evidence of massive deaths. Let large numbers of Chinese come to the U.S. BEFORE we closed our borders. By then it was too late. Maybe our Pandemic Task Force could have helped go to China to see what was going on and help but oh yeah someone canned the whole group in 2018. We have been put at risk by bungling and fumbling from the get go. Test kits made here in U.S.were defective, we could have had free tests given to us by the WHO but no we couldn't do that. So they try to get test kits to Americans but it is 3 weeks since they promised 1 Million would be made available. People are dying because of this inept response. People are scared because they can't trust the government to do its job professionally and in a timely manner. So it has been left to the local Mayors, Governors and their health departments to fix it but it is too big for them to do alone. This is why some people are panicking and buying everything in sight, it gives them some sense of control but of course it doesn't really help. People who really need food can't get it because the crazies have bought it all up.

Yes, I am upset and I am doing all I can to be careful and look out for those I can but I don't understand all the denial that this is no big deal, it has the potential to cause millions of deaths. I just hope that is wrong but better to err on the side of caution.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 7

That is what people don't get, anyone can be a carrier without symptoms and then they spread it around to others. The flattening the curve effect is to keep the numbers down so our hospitals won't be overrun. That's why we needed our government to pay attention and not blow if off like it was nothing. We are fighting against a wave that started weeks ago but we just didn't know it because of the lack of testing capability. This isn't something we can just ignore, we are all in it together. This is uncharted territory and we need to work together or we sink together.

As for the comment that Ebola wasn't as bad, that is completely wrong. It killed 50 percent of the people who got it. We also had a Pandemic Task Force that went to West Africa to help fight the disease there.

In March 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported an outbreak of Ebola virus disease in the West African country of Guinea. Additional cases have since been reported in the countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as Nigeria and Senegal. To date, there have been more than 22,500 reported Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,900 deaths. At home, U.S. medical teams have treated 12 Ebola patients — all but two recovered.

Since the start of the outbreak, the United States has sent more than 3,000 DOD, CDC, USAID, and other U.S. health officials to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea to assist with response efforts, as part of a 10,000-person U.S.-backed civilian response. With their help, the U.S. government has:

• Provided more than 400 metric tons of personal protective equipment and other medical and relief supplies
  • Worked with international partners to identify travelers who may have Ebola before they leave the region

Thanks to their efforts, and the work of countless others from around the world, the number of people who are contracting Ebola has declined sharply from peak levels.

So what have we done this time? Pretend it doesn't exist, wish it away despite the evidence of massive deaths. Let large numbers of Chinese come to the U.S. BEFORE we closed our borders. By then it was too late. Maybe our Pandemic Task Force could have helped go to China to see what was going on and help but oh yeah someone canned the whole group in 2018. We have been put at risk by bungling and fumbling from the get go. Test kits made here in U.S.were defective, we could have had free tests given to us by the WHO but no we couldn't do that. So they try to get test kits to Americans but it is 3 weeks since they promised 1 Million would be made available. People are dying because of this inept response. People are scared because they can't trust the government to do its job professionally and in a timely manner. So it has been left to the local Mayors, Governors and their health departments to fix it but it is too big for them to do alone. This is why some people are panicking and buying everything in sight, it gives them some sense of control but of course it doesn't really help. People who really need food can't get it because the crazies have bought it all up.

Yes, I am upset and I am doing all I can to be careful and look out for those I can but I don't understand all the denial that this is no big deal, it has the potential to cause millions of deaths. I just hope that is wrong but better to err on the side of caution.

:goodone:

Thanks for that post, very informative.

Also, most people think that they are not in any danger because they are not that old and in pretty good health. That is true for most people because they seem to be hit with very mild symptoms, but even if you are healthy and get hit with this virus in it's most potent form, your life will be in danger. There are healthy middle aged people dying from this also.

• Like 3

Boy it's obvious where you get your "news" from and worse yet believe it. Enjoy...