treeduck

I have a friend who has two friends with it. One is only 58 and was in good health, and now he’s on a ventilator. The other one is early 60s and was in the hospital for a couple of days and has just been sent home. I think the problem is nobody really knows how it’s going to affect every single person. You know how some people just get pneumonia or bronchitis at the drop of a hat? They’re not necessarily old, but people like that, if they get this it could be a real problem. And as already mentioned in this thread, all of the healthcare facilities are just overloaded, which is why we’re all social distancing in order to let them treat who they’ve got before we start sending even more and more people into the hospitals.

Just because you’re young and healthy doesn’t mean you’re not gonna transmit it to someone who is neither of those things and I think that’s what a lot of people are not understanding.

• Like 5

I have a coworker under quarantine because he had a temp of 98.7. Dumbass. Awaiting his test result today. He's been out a week.

Dumbass for getting exposed, or for doing the right thing and self quarantining? My dad is 90 with several health problems. I don't want anybody running a fever near him.

In Pennsylvania they are still reserving tests for those with fever of 100 or higher, or who have traveled to Iran, China or Italy. I'm glad your co worker could get a test and get an answer, anyway.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I have a coworker under quarantine because he had a temp of 98.7. Dumbass. Awaiting his test result today. He's been out a week.

Dumbass for getting exposed, or for doing the right thing and self quarantining? My dad is 90 with several health problems. I don't want anybody running a fever near him.

In Pennsylvania they are still reserving tests for those with fever of 100 or higher, or who have traveled to Iran, China or Italy. I'm glad your co worker could get a test and get an answer, anyway.

Dumb a** because 98.7 is well within the average fluctuation of body temperature over the course of a day

• Like 1

I have a friend who has two friends with it. One is only 58 and was in good health, and now he’s on a ventilator. The other one is early 60s and was in the hospital for a couple of days and has just been sent home. I think the problem is nobody really knows how it’s going to affect every single person. You know how some people just get pneumonia or bronchitis at the drop of a hat? They’re not necessarily old, but people like that, if they get this it could be a real problem. And as already mentioned in this thread, all of the healthcare facilities are just overloaded, which is why we’re all social distancing in order to let them treat who they’ve got before we start sending even more and more people into the hospitals.

Just because you’re young and healthy doesn’t mean you’re not gonna transmit it to someone who is neither of those things and I think that’s what a lot of people are not understanding.

plus americans (and our "president") of course laughed this off.

but that's not surprising.

so try not to panic but hunker down.

Mick

• Like 6

bad karma to wish or speculate about this.

hope for the best prepare for the worst.

that sums it up really.

Mick

yeah

i gave my post a edit while you were quoting but the sentiment remains the same.

stay safe bro! its a good time to lay low and crank up some steely dan.

• Like 2

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

China has handled this much better than the US has. We're just starting to do the things they did early on because our government initially said it was no big deal.

You mean where it started and spread? Where the government hid it from the outside world? You know, you can hit "More Reply Options," and review your post to make sure you're not saying something like that publicly.

Damn those Chinese! First the opioid crisis (we all know they started it with their opium dens :smoke: ). And now they've caused worldwide panic, all because someone in Wuhan just had to have bats on the menu!

*I'm totally being tongue in cheek here, before someone gets all offended. Also, wouldn't "Bats On The Menu" be a good band name?

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

China has handled this much better than the US has. We're just starting to do the things they did early on because our government initially said it was no big deal.

You mean where it started and spread? Where the government hid it from the outside world? You know, you can hit "More Reply Options," and review your post to make sure you're not saying something like that publicly.

Damn those Chinese! First the opioid crisis (we all know they started it with their opium dens :smoke: ). And now they've caused worldwide panic, all because someone in Wuhan just had to have bats on the menu!

*I'm totally being tongue in cheek here, before someone gets all offended. Also, wouldn't "Bats On The Menu" be a good band name?

"I'll take a pound of ferret sliced thin, please."

"The boa is a little to gamey for me, do you have any fresh python?"

• Like 2

bad karma to jokingly speculate about this. i hope no one here gets it

So you're saying...what exactly?

wash your hands like you just cut some habanero peppers and now have to piss.......

• Like 1

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and every other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

Every year, tens of thousands die from influenza in this country.

Why haven't we had quarantines, shutdowns and hoarding all these past years?? WHY NOT??!!

Why haven't we had 24/7 coverage of the influenza pandemic every year??!! WHY NOT??!!

• Like 2

bad karma to jokingly speculate about this. i hope no one here gets it

So you're saying...what exactly?

wash your hands like you just cut some habanero peppers and now have to piss.......

Like the whole thing is now my fault all of a sudden instead of some scientists in China, just because I started this thread... :LOL:

I understand the scepticism because of the over-reaction that many people have had, but to dismiss this as nothing is ridiculous. The USA is way behind other countries in reacting. It is not just in China that it is BAD. Many western countries are seriously hit right now. Also the mortality rate is higher than the flu - that is a fact. 1% is wrong. It is spreading very quickly and it is exactly the attitude that this is nothing that is speeding it up. We are facing serious business shut downs in Canada right now. I am sending everyone home that can work from home. The implications are far reaching. I hope that no one here gets it. Most likely you will come through it ok with nor real issues, but for certain segements of the population, it is VERY serious. That is why it is important that everyone observes the proper practices that are being put out there. It may not be an issue for you but you may give it to someone who could die as a result. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I was a sceptic at first, but it is irresponsible to say this is nothing.
  • Like 9

I understand the scepticism because of the over-reaction that many people have had, but to dismiss this as nothing is ridiculous. The USA is way behind other countries in reacting. It is not just in China that it is BAD. Many western countries are seriously hit right now. Also the mortality rate is higher than the flu - that is a fact. 1% is wrong. It is spreading very quickly and it is exactly the attitude that this is nothing that is speeding it up. We are facing serious business shut downs in Canada right now. I am sending everyone home that can work from home. The implications are far reaching. I hope that no one here gets it. Most likely you will come through it ok with nor real issues, but for certain segements of the population, it is VERY serious. That is why it is important that everyone observes the proper practices that are being put out there. It may not be an issue for you but you may give it to someone who could die as a result. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I was a sceptic at first, but it is irresponsible to say this is nothing.

our reaction is embarrasing really.

Mick

• Like 2

I keep thinking back to the days of no internet (and when out-of-town phone calls cost a fortune) to imagine how much worse this type of shut-in COULD be! At least we can all still easily communicate. :)
  • Like 5

i was touching my face and nose piercings like an idiot up until about 4 or 5 days ago, ive also been in public outside of work because i needed stuff at the store. and ive been feeling crappy (swollen lymph nodes in my neck and chin, tight chest, low fever, shortness of breath, severe headaches) but i haven't been feeling super ill. whatever i have, i hope it blows over with the help of antibiotics. i went to urgent care the other day because i was showing some signs of strep but thankfully i tested negative, although the doctor there made me feel like i was being paranoid and wasting my time :boo hiss:
  • Like 2

The US hospital system runs close to capacity at any given time and doesn't have enough ICU units or even ventilators if every region/state would get sick all at once like happened in the Seattle area. If the health system can gain a little time to figure out best responses and have it spread more slowly it is not such an overload for hospitals is what they are saying here.

This is the thing to remember amidst all this madness. We still have to have room in our hospitals for the victims of automobile accidents, gunshots, heart attacks, strokes, infections and other viruses that will not politely pause while we wait for coronavirus to pass. I just wonder though how will we know when we've made enough progress to start normal life again and will this type of overreaction (whether it truly is one or not) become the new normal when the next mystery plague comes down the pike (scary thought).

• Like 2

It looks like Canada is going to grind to a halt for the next 4-6 weeks. The financial losses and hardship will be staggering even if the death toll is relatively low. We were already in a recession phase.
  • Like 4

Dumb a** because 98.7 is well within the average fluctuation of body temperature over the course of a day

I'm sorry, Ed, I was reading the temp as 99.7 for some reason. :banghead: That IS a dumb move, 98.7 is a normal temperature! My daughter's runs 98.8 as normal.

Edited by blueschica

Apparently people with Type A blood are 63% more likely to be infected or die from COVID-19 than people with Type O, according to a study of 2000 patients with the virus in a hospital in Hubei, China.

People with Type A blood are MORE likely to catch coronavirus than those with Type O, study claims

Scientists studied the breakdown of coronavirus patients by their blood type

Found the normal distribution of blood types altered in infected populations

People with type A blood were significantly more likely to contract virus

In the general population Type O blood (34%) is more common than A (32%)

But in the infected this was reversed with Type O just 26% while Type A was 38%

Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

A person's blood type may make them more susceptible to catching the novel coronavirus spreading around the world, a new study claims.

The research states an individual with type A blood is significantly more likely to catch the virus than someone with type O blood.

It also appears people with type A blood are more likely to die from COVID-19.

More than one in four (41 per cent) of the coronavirus deaths in the study were people with type A blood. In the normal and uninfected population, just 34 per cent of people have type A blood.

People with type O blood made up a quarter (25 per cent) of deaths in the research. Normally, type O people make up 32 per cent of people in Wuhan.

The controversial correlation has yet to be scrutinised by other academics in peer review and the researchers are unable to explain why infection varies by blood type.

Researchers in China assessed 2,173 people who had been diagnosed with the coronavirus, including 206 people who died after contracting the virus, from three hospitals in Hubei.

Academics compared the data of the infected Wuhan patients with 3,694 non-infected people in the same region.

Of the 206 patients in the study who died, 85 had type A blood, equivalent to 41 per cent of all deaths.

In the healthy Wuhan population, a city of 11 million people, 34 per cent of people are type A.

In the study cohort, 52 of the people who died were type O, making up a quarter of all deaths. Under normal conditions just 32 per cent of people are type O.

The figures for all infections, not just deaths, are 26 per cent and 38 per cent for type O and type A, respectively.

The researchers point out that a larger study group would make the figures more reliable.

The coronavirus pandemic has infected almost 200,000 people and killed more than 7,800 worldwide. More than 3,000 deaths were in China, the disease's ground-zero.

The researchers write: 'Blood group O was associated with a lower risk of death compared with non-O groups.

'To the contrary, blood group A was associated with a higher risk of death compared with non-A groups.'

The researchers believe this correlation may reveal type O people are less susceptible to the SARS-COV-2 virus.

'People of blood group A might need particularly strengthened personal protection to reduce the chance of infection,' wrote the researchers in their paper, which has not yet been peer-reviewed but has been published online on medrxiv.

'Sars-CoV-2-infected patients with blood group A might need to receive more vigilant surveillance and aggressive treatment. '

The researchers add: 'It might be helpful to introduce ABO blood typing in both patients and medical personnel as a routine part of the management of Sars-CoV-2 and other coronavirus infections, to help define the management options and assess risk exposure levels of people'.

Just read that Andrew Watt tested positive for covid-19. He's only 29 and had to get emergency treatment. Recently produced Ozzy's "Ordinary Man" and was reportedly working with him on a follow-up. :( Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1