treeduck

If it's in US, we won't know . . . still very little testing!

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

• Like 1

There's over 4000 confirmed cases in 49 states. It's definitely here and certainly should be a concern but it's not time for a full on panic yet. They're taking the proper measures I believe in the limitations they've made in my state when it comes to big get togethers. It's gonna be different for a while but we'll get back to some normalcy soon enough.

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

• Like 3

Probably me due to the high congestion of people. Mainland Asia tourists are gone and schools aren’t in session but trains are still crowded enough. Not packed like before but enough to where there’s a line on the platforms and I usually can’t get a seat. Also, I notice too many gross pricks who don’t wash their hands after using the restroom. They either just get them wet and f**k off right away or don’t even bother at all. Oh, open mouth coughing seems to be a hobby for many Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I think people are overreacting over here actually. At least it doesn't make total sense why everything's shutting down indefinitely for this one, but Swine Flu and Bird Flu and Sars and Ebola and ever other major health scare of the past 20 years didn't have half this effect. But oh well, people overreacting is probably what will keep the US from winding up like China in this mess...

cEqjFJ5l.jpg

EP, how are you doing in these shutdowns? Did you have to come home from school ? (sorry,I should know, I have been busy with stuff . . .). :codger: We used to live for spring break in college. It must stink to have it turn into this shutdown. My sister lives in Florida and a lot of beaches are even shut down with the National Guard helping. The governor of PA shut down a ton of stuff starting tomorrow and they just did a huge news story about the lines out the door at the state store and beer distributors! Will you be having distance learning for this semester?

I think a lot of what the reaction is about is the "flattening the curve" thing. I guess if there were no closures C-19 would have to potential to spread really quickly. The US hospital system runs close to capacity at any given time and doesn't have enough ICU units or even ventilators if every region/state would get sick all at once like happened in the Seattle area. If the health system can gain a little time to figure out best responses and have it spread more slowly it is not such an overload for hospitals is what they are saying here.

That doesn't explain the overreaction about the groceries and toilet paper though! That's so weird. I hope you get to have some kind of spring break, maybe extra listening?

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

China has handled this much better than the US has. We're just starting to do the things they did early on because our government initially said it was no big deal.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 4

Social media is bigger than ever today. Everyone can go on Twitter now and flip out about what's going on. Making it sound like a much bigger deal than it might actually be. But at the same time it's also a good thing people are doing that since it helps the world to be updated constantly about the spread of the disease. Is the US taking it to the extreme with all the restrictions right now? Maybe. But it's short term measures to ensure long term safety.

• Like 1

"Test For Echo"

I thought I had the virus back on February 9th. But I don't. I am still getting over a Super Flu. SUCKS.

My immunity system is compromised. If I get the Coronavirus I could die.

Some of you will be happy.

• Like 1

"Test For Echo"

I thought I had the virus back on February 9th. But I don't. I am still getting over a Super Flu. SUCKS.

My immunity system is compromised. If I get the Coronavirus I could die.

Some of you will be happy.

You need to eat healthier, no more burgers and fries all the time!

Pat!!!

I thought you knew me better than that!

I’m in great shape.

When was the last time you tested your BMI?

I walk many miles a day

Lift weights at home

Play drums

Drumming is the best workout

I weight 187

I’m 6 foot 2 inches.

My BMI is between 150-195.

I’m fine.

Fast food and drinking soda is the Devil’s Work.

Don’t touch it Pat.

Do you?????

• Like 3

Overreacting is putting it mildly...
  • Like 3

We will all be dead before we know whether we have it.

Only like 1% of those that get it die.

Only like 15-20% of the people who get it have severe symptoms that need hospitalization, intubation, etc.

There aren't enough hospital and ICU beds in the US to handle this thing.

Pretty soon, in the US, it will be like Italy and the UK where hospital staff will have to triage who lives and dies. So that those with a better chance get care.

The other 80% that get it? This disease is a m*********** - it can damage the lungs, kidneys, liver - long term. Even possibility of long term cognitive problems. We don't know yet how bad it will be,

• Like 3

That's the mindset that will get people killed. The time to react is a month ago. We should have been hunkering down then. If we all did, then this thing would have had a fair chance of dying out by now. Instead we are at least one order of magnitude worse off (amount of spread) than we were. It will keep spreading unchecked unless we limit humans contact with each other.

I cannot conceive of people's inability to understand these simple concepts.

Let's come back to this post in a month. We'll see who's right.

Edited by grep
  • Like 5

That's the mindset that will get people killed. The time to react is a month ago. We should have been hunkering down then. If we all did, then this thing would have had a fair chance of dying out by now. Instead we are at least one order of magnitude worse off (amount of spread) than we were. It will keep spreading unchecked unless we limit humans contact with each other.

I have played incredibly close attention to our media for the past 5 years. Enjoy the hype...
  • Like 1

I have played incredibly close attention to our media for the past 5 years. Enjoy the hype...

2 days ago Italy was registering 1 death every 4 minutes from COVID19. Stop and think about that peeps. That's not hype.

The thing is about to hit critical mass in the US. See you in a month. I hope.

We can discuss numbers and exponential growth then.

Edited by grep
  • Like 4

China has handled this much better than the US has. We're just starting to do the things they did early on because our government initially said it was no big deal.

Disagree. When this thing first hit international news in late January, I got scared and looked up as much as I could about it. China hadn’t started doing a thing to prevent it until it was already wildly rampant and spreading too fast for anyone to control. They covered it up and ignored it until it left their borders and hit the world stage. We may not have reacted fast enough, but we haven’t done that.

cEqjFJ5l.jpg

EP, how are you doing in these shutdowns? Did you have to come home from school ? (sorry,I should know, I have been busy with stuff . . .). :codger: We used to live for spring break in college. It must stink to have it turn into this shutdown. My sister lives in Florida and a lot of beaches are even shut down with the National Guard helping. The governor of PA shut down a ton of stuff starting tomorrow and they just did a huge news story about the lines out the door at the state store and beer distributors! Will you be having distance learning for this semester?

I think a lot of what the reaction is about is the "flattening the curve" thing. I guess if there were no closures C-19 would have to potential to spread really quickly. The US hospital system runs close to capacity at any given time and doesn't have enough ICU units or even ventilators if every region/state would get sick all at once like happened in the Seattle area. If the health system can gain a little time to figure out best responses and have it spread more slowly it is not such an overload for hospitals is what they are saying here.

That doesn't explain the overreaction about the groceries and toilet paper though! That's so weird. I hope you get to have some kind of spring break, maybe extra listening?

I’m home till Easter, at best, e-learning starting next week. My school called off in the middle of spring break with no prior warning, so it’s been pretty tough on us trying to figure out what to do all of the sudden. There’s been a lot of progress, but a lot of regrettable cancellations too. I was a lead actor in a friend’s play, which she’s had to cancel because we don’t have rehearsal time anymore. I’m also in jazz band and concert band, both of which were going to go on small tours in neighboring states. Concert band cancelled, and while jazz hasn’t said anything, the tour was scheduled during the time we’re stuck at home, so seems like that’s finished too. Being an architecture major, studio is more or less my most important class, and it’s essentially to have design studio in person to learn the best. We’re gonna try to do it digitally now, and I think my prof is gonna have us all work in ArchiCAD rather than draw (which I don’t prefer at all). This all sucks, but it would suck much more if I were graduating or studying abroad this year.

• Like 1

You mean where it started and spread? Where the government hid it from the outside world? You know, you can hit "More Reply Options," and review your post to make sure you're not saying something like that publicly.