I'm sure Neil would have had some tremendous insight into the COVID-19 pandemic

zappafrank

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong.

Can you give up some examples of this high and mighty Neil you speak of that would justify your wager?

I'd say smug is a better way of putting it. That definitely comes across in his writing. He's been living the good life for decades, it's easy to lose touch. Though I generally agree with a lot of what he says, it's sometimes jarring to read a travel book when he goes over the history of one place, only to jump into a diatribe about how the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

I still do enjoy his books though because I like his take on travel. He has wonderful descriptions for places near to my heart and places I long to visit. Far & Wide had some of the same silly off stops/historical markers I would make an expedition to in the midst of a long road trip.

Yeah anyone that's successful is out of touch right??? In all reality, it's quite the opposite.

Continuing to do things that don't work is the exact definition of insanity... Sorry but Neil isn't entirely wrong here... His money, success and fame is separate from objective truth.

Even if the poor were to vote for the candidate that offers them the most support they're still voting against their best interest by accepting that position as well as putting their well-being in the hands of an external party.

It would be nice to get an exact quote from the book with some surrounding paragraphs thrown in for context because saying the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests is a lot different than saying segments of the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

I'm interested in seeing the context as well but to actually see the thought in heavy detail. To me voting against themselves is quite an open-ended idea and would be limited if one was to interpret that as strictly political.

Voting against oneself could be the decision to turn away from risk and by proxy, to walk away from reward. Another example would be to devalue one's time by choosing to accept a welfare cheque vs trading labour, products or services for monetary reward.

Of course, the statement I mentioned prior as well fits just as well. Vote against yourself by putting your best interest, needs and wants in the hands of another person or group. A person or group that you have only accosted. If you can't contribute to that person or group then you cannot leverage value.

"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more"

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong.

Can you give up some examples of this high and mighty Neil you speak of that would justify your wager?

I'd say smug is a better way of putting it. That definitely comes across in his writing. He's been living the good life for decades, it's easy to lose touch. Though I generally agree with a lot of what he says, it's sometimes jarring to read a travel book when he goes over the history of one place, only to jump into a diatribe about how the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

I still do enjoy his books though because I like his take on travel. He has wonderful descriptions for places near to my heart and places I long to visit. Far & Wide had some of the same silly off stops/historical markers I would make an expedition to in the midst of a long road trip.

Yeah anyone that's successful is out of touch right??? In all reality, it's quite the opposite.

Continuing to do things that don't work is the exact definition of insanity... Sorry but Neil isn't entirely wrong here... His money, success and fame is separate from objective truth.

Even if the poor were to vote for the candidate that offers them the most support they're still voting against their best interest by accepting that position as well as putting their well-being in the hands of an external party.

It would be nice to get an exact quote from the book with some surrounding paragraphs thrown in for context because saying the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests is a lot different than saying segments of the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

If you'd like the context, the moment I thought of takes place between pages 141 and 145 in Far & Wide. He talks about driving back roads in Indiana and Ohio and how the temperature of faith rises with poverty. He sees an anti Obama bumper sticker that says "does this ass make my truck look big?" to which her replies "no, but it makes your brain look small". Then goes on about how oil companies convince people to rally against alternative energy.

It's a small section, and I don't even disagree with it. But he definitely comes across as self assured sometimes, especially when religion comes up. It's a very minor complaint about his writing, I still enjoy reading his books.

• Like 1

Okay thanks for the reference. Self assured? Sounds then like he would have been right at home posting on TRF. lol. I don't mind thoughts like that. He's just being his own person giving his own opinion, PC police be damned. That sort of thing is becoming increasingly rare in Cancel Culture.

his writings would have been outstanding, as usual, I'd wager.

:LOL:

I've read and purchased a lot of Neil Peart's... "work", but 'intellectual', 'eloquent', and 'well-written' are not phrases I would use to describe it.

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong. Relatively few read his writings, especially the website stuff (like me!), so any grand essays from him would've surely been inconsequential as always. That being said, I miss hearing about his roadway travels. He threw down very serious mile counts for decades, and that inspired me much, much more than his remedial novelist abilities.

Tai Cough

Red Virus

WuHan Dreams

Maybe take the current pandemic situation reimagined as a steampunk adventure?

LOL! I knew this would happen. Hope the fun of this game spreads fast......

"2020: The Priests Of Virus"

"Test For Coronavirus"

"I Think I'm Going To The Hospital"

"Caress Of A Q-Tip On My Throat"

"The Enemy Within" lol

"Red Viruses" GUP

"Grace Under Pandemic"

"Permanent Waving" Social distancing.

"Coronavirus With Limelight"

"Coronavirus with Lime Stand Still"

"Virusality"

"Stick Your Tongue Out"

"Cold Viral"

"FreeChills"

"A Farewell To Things"

"Fly By Fright"

"No Work Man"

"It's The End"

"Natural Science"

"Between The Meals"

"Current Proactive Warning"

"Red Sector Stay Home"

"Something For Nothing"

"Fears"

"Available Tonight"

"The Pass"

"Secret: Don't Touch Me"

"Force Zen"

"Prime Couch Potato"

"New World Ban"

"Sub-Provisions"

"The Hollywood Stars Look Down"

"Watch Out For The Way The Wind Blows"

"Faithful"

"Bars" are closed

"Pesto" not in stores

"Sars Ain't"

"Dead End Flight"

"The Empty Garden"

"The Virus Wreckers"

"Gland Over Risk"

"Alien Shore"

"Cut To The Waste"

"Ghost Of A Dance" LOL

"Face Down"

"The Big Deal"

"The Big Monkey Stew"

"Grand Designs"

"Mythic Realities"

"Closed Territories"

"Best I Can't"

"RiverHell"

"The Camera Spy"

"Can't Find My Subway"

"What You're Doing... Nothing"

"Here Again Gone Tomorrow"

"Take A Friend...But Not By The Hand"

"In The Food"

"Before And After The Pandemic"

"Beneath, Between & Behind A Vaccine"

"Penicillin Day"

"The Fountain Of Shortness of Breath"

"Losing It"

"Countdown" Of Destruction. Megadeth?

"The Larger Bowl Of Cereal"

"The Main Monkey Business"

"Hope"

"The Whole World"

"Time And No New Motion Pictures"

"Resist"

"Carve Away The Coronavirus"

"Ceiling Limited"

"UnPeaceable Kingdom"

"How It Is"

"Out Of The Ladle" "Soup Is Good Food".... Dead Kennedys

"You Bet Your Life"

"Where's My Thing? It's In My Pants! No Dating For Me!"

"Middletown Screams"

"Don't Show Tell"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Beneath, Between and in Your Behind

Time and Lotion

Free Pills

Red Corona

Cigna X-1: The Denial of Coverage

Anthem BlueCross

You Can't Fight It

Need Some Drugs

Ask Your Doctor About Xanadu

I Think I'm Screwed

Nobody's Here...Oh

Half the World Dies

Hopeless

Surgical Gloves

The Larger Bed Pan

• Like 1

If you'd like the context, the moment I thought of takes place between pages 141 and 145 in Far & Wide. He talks about driving back roads in Indiana and Ohio and how the temperature of faith rises with poverty. He sees an anti Obama bumper sticker that says "does this ass make my truck look big?" to which her replies "no, but it makes your brain look small". Then goes on about how oil companies convince people to rally against alternative energy.

It's a small section, and I don't even disagree with it. But he definitely comes across as self assured sometimes, especially when religion comes up. It's a very minor complaint about his writing, I still enjoy reading his books.

Both religious and non-religious people can often be self-assured, self-righteous and confident that their ways are best. It is a human flaw that we all share.

Beneath, Between and in Your Behind

Time and Lotion

Free Pills

Red Corona

Cigna X-1: The Denial of Coverage

Anthem BlueCross

You Can't Fight It

Need Some Drugs

Ask Your Doctor About Xanadu

I Think I'm Screwed

Nobody's Here...Oh

Half the World Dies

Hopeless

Surgical Gloves

The Larger Bed Pan

Btw, I should mention that I got the Ask Your Doctor About Xanadu line from a comment someone made on YouTube. Good joke. Unfortunately, not mine.

I mean he has every right to be self assured here. Just a few years later look at what Ohio's responsible for in the last election...

I hate almost all politicians and political parties and while everyone has a bias I have done my best to remove any biases I may have or have had. I will say Obama is probably the most intelligent world leader of the 21st century. He was blocked with great resistance because he was a threat. The only thing Trump is a threat to is a nursing home.

I will say it's easy for blind eyes to come to a conclusion that "someone is out of touch". I've never seen an insane person come out and say "I'm the problem" it's always everyone else right? I'm years younger than Neil... I don't typically agree with the political opinions of people his age as the majority are sheep. Neil wasn't in the herd.

I mean he has every right to be self assured here. Just a few years later look at what Ohio's responsible for in the last election...

I hate almost all politicians and political parties and while everyone has a bias I have done my best to remove any biases I may have or have had. I will say Obama is probably the most intelligent world leader of the 21st century. He was blocked with great resistance because he was a threat. The only thing Trump is a threat to is a nursing home.

I will say it's easy for blind eyes to come to a conclusion that "someone is out of touch". I've never seen an insane person come out and say "I'm the problem" it's always everyone else right? I'm years younger than Neil... I don't typically agree with the political opinions of people his age as the majority are sheep. Neil wasn't in the herd.

I dunno. I'm a little insane myself, in a wacky, zany, fun kind of way.

Anecdotal but....I am a recovering alcoholic who deviates somewhat from the typical addicts' trait of blaming everyone but myself. In the depths of my anguish and despair, my prevailing thought was "how did I get so f*cked up?"

Neither am I convinced that the heterodoxy I subscribe to is any more valid than anyone else's; there is no sound scientific or logical basis to back that up. Neil's writings indicate that he was fairly certain his religious beliefs or lack thereof were in some way superior to others'.

Edited by Mara

I've read and purchased a lot of Neil Peart's... "work", but 'intellectual', 'eloquent', and 'well-written' are not phrases I would use to describe it.

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong. Relatively few read his writings, especially the website stuff (like me!), so any grand essays from him would've surely been inconsequential as always. That being said, I miss hearing about his roadway travels. He threw down very serious mile counts for decades, and that inspired me much, much more than his remedial novelist abilities.

Tai Cough

Red Virus

WuHan Dreams

Maybe take the current pandemic situation reimagined as a steampunk adventure?

LOL! I knew this would happen. Hope the fun of this game spreads fast......

"2020: The Priests Of Virus"

"Test For Coronavirus"

"I Think I'm Going To The Hospital"

"Caress Of A Q-Tip On My Throat"

"The Enemy Within" lol

"Red Viruses" GUP

"Grace Under Pandemic"

"Permanent Waving" Social distancing.

"Coronavirus With Limelight"

"Coronavirus with Lime Stand Still"

"Virusality"

"Stick Your Tongue Out"

"Cold Viral"

"FreeChills"

"A Farewell To Things"

"Fly By Fright"

"No Work Man"

"It's The End"

"Natural Science"

"Between The Meals"

"Current Proactive Warning"

"Red Sector Stay Home"

"Something For Nothing"

"Fears"

"Available Tonight"

"The Pass"

"Secret: Don't Touch Me"

"Force Zen"

"Prime Couch Potato"

"New World Ban"

"Sub-Provisions"

"The Hollywood Stars Look Down"

"Watch Out For The Way The Wind Blows"

"Faithful"

"Bars" are closed

"Pesto" not in stores

"Sars Ain't"

"Dead End Flight"

"The Empty Garden"

"The Virus Wreckers"

"Gland Over Risk"

"Alien Shore"

"Cut To The Waste"

"Ghost Of A Dance" LOL

"Face Down"

"The Big Deal"

"The Big Monkey Stew"

"Grand Designs"

"Mythic Realities"

"Closed Territories"

"Best I Can't"

"RiverHell"

"The Camera Spy"

"Can't Find My Subway"

"What You're Doing... Nothing"

"Here Again Gone Tomorrow"

"Take A Friend...But Not By The Hand"

"In The Food"

"Before And After The Pandemic"

"Beneath, Between & Behind A Vaccine"

"Penicillin Day"

"The Fountain Of Shortness of Breath"

"Losing It"

"Countdown" Of Destruction. Megadeth?

"The Larger Bowl Of Cereal"

"The Main Monkey Business"

"Hope"

"The Whole World"

"Time And No New Motion Pictures"

"Resist"

"Carve Away The Coronavirus"

"Ceiling Limited"

"UnPeaceable Kingdom"

"How It Is"

"Out Of The Ladle" "Soup Is Good Food".... Dead Kennedys

"You Bet Your Life"

"Where's My Thing? It's In My Pants! No Dating For Me!"

"Middletown Screams"

"Don't Show Tell"

You should get out more! On no hang on, don't do that!!

I dunno. I'm a little insane myself, in a wacky, zany, fun kind of way.

Anecdotal but....I am a recovering alcoholic who deviates somewhat from the typical addicts' trait of blaming everyone but myself. In the depths of my anguish and despair, my prevailing thought was "how did I get so f*cked up?"

Neither am I convinced that the heterodoxy I subscribe to is any more valid than anyone else's; there is no sound scientific or logical basis to back that up. Neil's writings indicate that he was fairly certain his religious beliefs or lack thereof were in some way superior to others'.

You're speaking to a Nihilist so any debate on religion is irrelevant to me. Religion essentially is organized mythology that's crowd funded. Science and the mystery around a lot of scientific events and situations we cannot explain or understand could be considered as "God". So I would say someone that is able to understand it at this level would be superior to a drone that accepts everything and questions nothing. Superior in regards to intellect solely. If you question nothing then what you know and understand matches the exact amount you've questioned.

But as I mention I am a Nihilist. Even if I'm limited in what I can know but I am later proven to be wrong it still would not matter. Even if someone later can prove God exists as written in historical and religious scriptures I'm still the antagonist that refuses to serve him.

Edited by Snowdog92

Even if someone later can prove God exists as written in historical and religious scriptures I'm still the antagonist that refuses to serve him.

I would be miserable in Heaven. I have bad knees, so kneeling and genuflecting for all of Eternity would be.....well, you know.....like Hell!! ;)

Edited by Principled Man

Even if someone later can prove God exists as written in historical and religious scriptures I'm still the antagonist that refuses to serve him.

I would be miserable in Heaven. I have bad knees, so kneeling and genuflecting for all of Eternity would be.....well, you know.....like Hell!! ;)

No need for kneeling and genuflecting! The voice of God is government!!! Both have aggressive accounts receivable clerks!

So... my address actually was recently taken off the Jehovah's Witness visit list. I answered the door one morning in my boxers and entertained them for an hour. One of the guy's was starting to question his faith after and told the other guy that they had to leave immediately. I've been practicing for years, my cousin was one and she also decided to distance from me because she was beginning to question her faith.

My major question is if there are really only 144,000 spots in heaven what makes you feel entitled to one? I mean a lot of better people have died before you. Do you really think you're top priority???

No need for kneeling and genuflecting! The voice of God is government!!! Both have aggressive accounts receivable clerks!

So... my address actually was recently taken off the Jehovah's Witness visit list. I answered the door one morning in my boxers and entertained them for an hour. One of the guy's was starting to question his faith after and told the other guy that they had to leave immediately. I've been practicing for years, my cousin was one and she also decided to distance from me because she was beginning to question her faith.

My major question is if there are really only 144,000 spots in heaven what makes you feel entitled to one? I mean a lot of better people have died before you. Do you really think you're top priority???

I kind of am looking forward to the next time the Witnesses come door-knocking. I plan to fling the door wide open and ask if they're here for the orgy.

ETA: I asked something similar of a Witness who, Watchtower mag in hand, accosted me as I was leaving a convenience store one day. I said, "Let me ask you something. If there are only 144,000 spots in Heaven, how come you guys are out recruiting more competition for those spots? I'd be keeping that information quiet if I were you."

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

I kind of am looking forward to the next time the Witnesses come door-knocking. I plan to fling the door wide open and ask if they're here for the orgy.

ETA: I asked something similar of a Witness who, Watchtower mag in hand, accosted me as I was leaving a convenience store one day. I said, "Let me ask you something. If there are only 144,000 spots in Heaven, how come you guys are out recruiting more competition for those spots? I'd be keeping that information quiet if I were you."

hahaha omfg the orgy one is good. I'm moving away from the ungodly house to a new place which means I may have some more great moments with the witnesses.

I'm thinking this time I pull the Charlie Sheen "I don't mean to be rude but I'm tired of talking to you" and just fling the door shut in their faces lmao

Greg Graffin from Bad Religion always said the three scariest words someone part of a religion can say to you is "come join us". As for anyone that may be religious here, it's not that I hate anyone part of a religion or hate the religions themselves but I'm more against followers. If you have decided for whatever reason that this is what you believe or you have accepted these traditions I can make peace with that decision. I think it's a personal thing though it shouldn't extend to recruiting nor should you be recruited.

:facepalm:

Whatever your thoughts about his literature his grasp of philosophy in “Ghost Rider” is far in advance of what you appear capable of. You need to be careful of conflating boring with worthless.

Ghost Rider wasn't boring in my opinion because he kept on talking about the emotional battle that he was going through in his head. I found it very touching.
  • Like 2

Neil would have gotten through any Covid 19 related life complications just fine, I think.

If he were enjoying a nice ride on the BMW, and some official stopped him for violating the "stay at home" mandate, he might become disagreeable.

Neil would have gotten through any Covid 19 related life complications just fine, I think.

If he were enjoying a nice ride on the BMW, and some official stopped him for violating the "stay at home" mandate, he might become disagreeable.

Especially if they were overweight.

• Like 2

Especially if they were overweight.

....and were hounding him for an autograph.