I'm sure Neil would have had some tremendous insight into the COVID-19 pandemic

zappafrank

his writings would have been outstanding, as usual, I'd wager.

:LOL:

I've read and purchased a lot of Neil Peart's... "work", but 'intellectual', 'eloquent', and 'well-written' are not phrases I would use to describe it.

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong. Relatively few read his writings, especially the website stuff (like me!), so any grand essays from him would've surely been inconsequential as always. That being said, I miss hearing about his roadway travels. He threw down very serious mile counts for decades, and that inspired me much, much more than his remedial novelist abilities.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 10

Sanitize me

Sterilize me

Immunize me

It won't phase me

Separate me

Segregate me

Denigrate me

Aggravate me

• Like 11

I've read and purchased a lot of Neil Peart's... "work", but 'intellectual', 'eloquent', and 'well-written' are not phrases I would use to describe it.

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong. Relatively few read his writings, especially the website stuff (like me!), so any grand essays from him would've surely been inconsequential as always. That being said, I miss hearing about his roadway travels. He threw down very serious mile counts for decades, and that inspired me much, much more than his remedial novelist abilities.

:facepalm:

Whatever your thoughts about his literature his grasp of philosophy in “Ghost Rider” is far in advance of what you appear capable of. You need to be careful of conflating boring with worthless.

• Like 6

Whatever your thoughts about his literature his grasp of philosophy in “Ghost Rider” is far in advance of what you appear capable of. You need to be careful of conflating boring with worthless.

Interesting you've made a judgment about what I'm philosophically capable of, given your absolute zero exposure to that side of me. Asinine, for certain.

I never said the words boring nor worthless, until I said "Tony, your post above is worthless" just this second. I highly enjoyed Ghost Rider, even with its faults.

I'd suggest perhaps you are the individual who could look further into the word 'careful'.

Interesting you've made a judgment about what I'm philosophically capable of, given your absolute zero exposure to that side of me. Asinine, for certain.

I never said the words boring nor worthless, until I said "Tony, your post above is worthless" just this second. I highly enjoyed Ghost Rider, even with its faults.

I'd suggest perhaps you are the individual who could look further into the word 'careful'.

Quite. But my issue was with you denying his intellect and mocking his body of literature (“work”).

I’m perfectly able to deduce what you are “philosophically capable off” simply by reading the post I quoted.

It seems that it had become trendy on here to deny Peart’s intellect and skill as a writer.

Don’t get me wrong, his collaboration with Anderson on the Clockwork Angels novels does him no favours but my major gripe with his own body of work is his almost OCD obsession with description.

• Like 1

Tai Cough

Red Virus

WuHan Dreams

Maybe take the current pandemic situation reimagined as a steampunk adventure?

• Like 1

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong.

Can you give up some examples of this high and mighty Neil you speak of that would justify your wager?

I'd say smug is a better way of putting it. That definitely comes across in his writing. He's been living the good life for decades, it's easy to lose touch. Though I generally agree with a lot of what he says, it's sometimes jarring to read a travel book when he goes over the history of one place, only to jump into a diatribe about how the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

I still do enjoy his books though because I like his take on travel. He has wonderful descriptions for places near to my heart and places I long to visit. Far & Wide had some of the same silly off stops/historical markers I would make an expedition to in the midst of a long road trip.

• Like 2

I'd wager that Neil would've gotten high-and-mighty over this, and told us what society is doing wrong.

Can you give up some examples of this high and mighty Neil you speak of that would justify your wager?

I'd say smug is a better way of putting it. That definitely comes across in his writing. He's been living the good life for decades, it's easy to lose touch. Though I generally agree with a lot of what he says, it's sometimes jarring to read a travel book when he goes over the history of one place, only to jump into a diatribe about how the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.

I still do enjoy his books though because I like his take on travel. He has wonderful descriptions for places near to my heart and places I long to visit. Far & Wide had some of the same silly off stops/historical markers I would make an expedition to in the midst of a long road trip.

Okay fair enough. I've never read any of his books but in the interviews I've seen and read he mostly comes off as erudite and reasonable in his opinions. Of course famous people usually put forth their politest, least controversial selves in interviews.

Yeah anyone that's successful is out of touch right??? In all reality, it's quite the opposite.

Continuing to do things that don't work is the exact definition of insanity... Sorry but Neil isn't entirely wrong here... His money, success and fame is separate from objective truth.

Even if the poor were to vote for the candidate that offers them the most support they're still voting against their best interest by accepting that position as well as putting their well-being in the hands of an external party.

I wonder is Rush will get back together to perform a concert, just like SARS?

That's obviously not going to happen. But I'm sure you already know that, right?

Perhaps something like this could eventually lead to ged and alex playing again for charity?

• Like 1

That's obviously not going to happen. But I'm sure you already know that, right?

Perhaps something like this could eventually lead to ged and alex playing again for charity?

I think there's a decent chance that Geddy and/or Alex get involved in some way to show support but I think it's highly improbable it will be something to do with playing or making music. I just don't see it happening this close to Neil's death. They've already gone this long without touring as well.

As time goes on the probability doesn't really get much higher with Alex having arthritis. You may see a few one off acoustic shows locally, maybe Massey Hall or something?

Maybe a Lee/Lifeson acoustic album or something? It's going to be in the future though, not 2020.

• Like 1

I think there's a decent chance that Geddy and/or Alex get involved in some way to show support but I think it's highly improbable it will be something to do with playing or making music. I just don't see it happening this close to Neil's death. They've already gone this long without touring as well.

As time goes on the probability doesn't really get much higher with Alex having arthritis. You may see a few one off acoustic shows locally, maybe Massey Hall or something?

Maybe a Lee/Lifeson acoustic album or something? It's going to be in the future though, not 2020.

Quantex mentioned Rush by name, which is why my response was kind of snarky. Alex and Geddy doing something with other musicians, maybe a one-off benefit show, maybe that's not out of the question.

• Like 1

Quantex mentioned Rush by name, which is why my response was kind of snarky. Alex and Geddy doing something with other musicians, maybe a one-off benefit show, maybe that's not out of the question.

I think them jumping in on a song with a group of musicians is probably the most probable of all.

You had good reason to be kind of snarky.

Rush is kaput. The band is done. They were done five years ago. And, sadly, Neil is dead.

Today, when certain people speak of Rush as if they could still get together again, I see red flags.

• Like 2

Yeah anyone that's successful is out of touch right??? In all reality, it's quite the opposite.

Continuing to do things that don't work is the exact definition of insanity... Sorry but Neil isn't entirely wrong here... His money, success and fame is separate from objective truth.

Even if the poor were to vote for the candidate that offers them the most support they're still voting against their best interest by accepting that position as well as putting their well-being in the hands of an external party.

It would be nice to get an exact quote from the book with some surrounding paragraphs thrown in for context because saying the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests is a lot different than saying segments of the poor are ignorant and vote against their best interests.