Chicago vs. Genesis

pick one  

23 members have voted

1. 1. band

2. 2. definitive 70s album

• Chicago II
    • Selling England By The Pound
  3. 3. definitive 80s album

Two bands who were on the cutting edge of rock music in the wee early 70s, had some lineup changes later that decade, and wound up commanding the pop charts by the mid-late 80s. Which do you choose?

Two bands who were on the cutting edge of rock music in the wee early 70s, had some lineup changes later that decade, and wound up commanding the pop charts by the mid-late 80s. Which do you choose?

before i answer EP. i just want to say. keep these going.

i enjoy them. and it's ridiculous the over the top negative reaction you got. i'll answer all these even if everyone stops, lol

This is a tougher poll. As a whole I prefer Genesis because just the Phil years alone Beat Chicago. but just by a hair mind you.

However I prefer Chicago II to Selling far and away.

And Invisible touch wins. not a fan of pop Chicago. Genesis did Pop far better, IMO.

So really this is a split poll for me, lol

Mick

• Like 3

i enjoy them. and it's ridiculous the over the top negative reaction you got. i'll answer all these even if everyone stops, lol

This is a tougher poll. As a whole I prefer Genesis because just the Phil years alone Beat Chicago. but just by a hair mind you.

And Invisible touch wins. not a fan of pop Chicago. Genesis did Pop far better, IMO.

Mick

Why thank you! I always enjoy trying to think up match ups that people don't usually think of. I knew you'd vote Chicago II, but I wasn't sure which band would outweigh the other for you overall, interesting to see the results!

I actually can't answer my own poll here, I've never listened to Chicago 17, lol.

• Like 1

All Genesis all day and night my friend.

It's all pretty great, except the debut, that one's just okay.

Mick

Why thank you! I always enjoy trying to think up match ups that people don't usually think of. I knew you'd vote Chicago II, but I wasn't sure which band would outweigh the other for you overall, interesting to see the results!

I actually can't answer my own poll here, I've never listened to Chicago 17, lol.

it's well written pop but bland.

my opinion is that Genesis did better at pop because they had phil The man could put over a pop song.

cetera always sounded robotic to me in the pop years. funnily enough i've always felt his voice had far more character in the pre-pop years.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

my opinion is that Genesis did better at pop because they had phil The man could put over a pop song.

cetera always sounded robotic to me in the pop years. funnily enough i've always felt his voice had far more character in the pre-pop years.

Mick

Yeah, Cetera doesn't sound as soulful on the pop stuff I've heard as he did in the 70s. Stuff like Dialogue from Chicago V works so well very much because Cetera's got real emotion in his voice (and so does Kath!)

• Like 2

This is tough.........I'm growing to really love aspects of both......................
  • Like 2

Mick

Mick

Yeah, Cetera doesn't sound as soulful on the pop stuff I've heard as he did in the 70s. Stuff like Dialogue from Chicago V works so well very much because Cetera's got real emotion in his voice (and so does Kath!)

if you listen to the pop stuff. his voice is drenched in reverb. he straight tones everything meaning no vibrato. none of the soulful rasp he'd sometimes use. it's all sung straight on the nose with no spice ya know?

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

if you listen to the pop stuff. his voice is drenched in reverb. he straight tones everything meaning no vibrato. none of the soulful rasp he'd sometimes use. it's all sung straight on the nose with no spice ya know?

Mick

True! One of funny things about this is Phil Collins actually got better at putting soul and inflection in his voice the longer he sang for Genesis. It's night and day between something like Your Own Special Way and something later like Anything She Does. And they added more reverb and effects into the mix as they went on. Interesting that it helped Phil and hindered Cetera.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

True! One of funny things about this is Phil Collins actually got better at putting soul and inflection in his voice the longer he sang for Genesis. It's night and day between something like Your Own Special Way and something later like Anything She Does. And they added more reverb and effects into the mix as they went on. Interesting that it helped Phil and hindered Cetera.

i know your kinda mixed on Duke....but it was on that that recored the "Phil voice" aswe know it was born. he fuses in his clear R N B love into his voice. and a rasp n there too. i love it.

And good point. phil would reverb his voice to the max. BUT it became part of his voice almost. whereas it sucked peter's voice dry.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

i know your kinda mixed on Duke....but it was on that that recored the "Phil voice" aswe know it was born. he fuses in his clear R N B love into his voice. and a rasp n there too. i love it.

And good point. phil would reverb his voice to the max. BUT it became part of his voice almost. whereas it sucked peter's voice dry.

Mick

For me Duke has some of Genesis' all time best and some lovely, er, filler, in between. Being a Genesis album, I do love it, but it drags on a couple of times and becomes a little sappier than I prefer. I'll agree there's a noticeable change in Phil's voice and a slightly more subtle change to the overall production, but I don't think they really became 80s Genesis until Abacab. By the time No Reply At All comes on it's obvious this is not the same band that did Supper's Ready all those years ago, or indeed even Wind And Wuthering.

• Like 1

The connection with both Chicago and Genesis is that both bands featured a horn section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3HZvGN0qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpA3HBCgY0M

When '25 or 6 to 4' begins, for some reason 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' (at around the 2:20 mark) from Led Zeppelin comes to mind with a similar descending chord progression of Am, G, F#, F, E.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

The connection with both Chicago and Genesis is that both bands featured a horn section.

When '25 or 6 to 4' begins, for some reason 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' (at around the 2:20 mark) from Led Zeppelin comes to mind with a similar descending chord progression of Am, G, F#, F, E.

Same descending chord progression in While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Green Day's Brain Stew.

or the connection was they both kicked ass. the doc i watched recently totally upped my appreciation of chicago

from what i recall genesis borrowed the horn players from earth wind and fire?

i think that was pre collins / bailey collaboration. not sure.

it was hard voting for invisible touch but i went genesis straight ticket here...........

• Like 2

Genesis ! I love Phil ! But Chicago is so good tho.....I saw both in concert......♪♪♪♪

of all the matchups EP has done. this one had me thinking hard before i chose.

adore both.

Mick

• Like 3

Chicago stops for me after Terry Kath died. After that they were retreads. The same could be said once Genesis became the Phil Collins backup band. But Genesis had more quality years than Chicago.

Chicago for me although I have never heard a full album by either one. It's just a comfort level and familiarity thing for me I guess. Hard to explain...
  • Like 1

I have to say, Chicago 17 or Invisible as the "definitive 80s album" makes me lol.

And it's Genesis over Chicago for me.

yeah, I don't really get how some of these polls are worded... maybe they define everything wrong with the 80s?