Bands you've moved on from?

Nova Carmina

The definition of "move on" in this case is my issue with the question at hand. If move on means no longer purchasing new music by them then I moved on from every band I loved around 1980. I gave Rush a bit more rope and gave them to 1984...
  • Like 3

The definition of "move on" in this case is my issue with the question at hand. If move on means no longer purchasing new music by them then I moved on from every band I loved around 1980. I gave Rush a bit more rope and gave them to 1984...

I'm fortunate that pretty much all the bands I loved in my teens I still love now.

But meeeeh it won't always be the case

I'm fortunate that pretty much all the bands I loved in my teens I still love now.

But meeeeh it won't always be the case

I would put it a bit differently. The music I loved I still do and the bands just happened to have composed and played it. Rush and Yes just happened to put out more of it during that time period I suppose...
  • Like 1

Kansas and ELP were huge influences of mine in high school (before Rush). Now I find Kansas only moderately entertaining and ELP just self-indulgent noodling. Also, I find that I've probably listened to enough Zeppelin for one lifetime.

Kansas and ELP were huge influences of mine in high school (before Rush). Now I find Kansas only moderately entertaining and ELP just self-indulgent noodling. Also, I find that I've probably listened to enough Zeppelin for one lifetime.

Interesting, it's worked the other way around for me. The more I listen to Kansas the more awesome they are, and more I listen to ELP the less purely self indulgent they seem.

• Like 3

Interesting, it's worked the other way around for me. The more I listen to Kansas the more awesome they are, and more I listen to ELP the less purely self indulgent they seem.

Part of the reason I moved on from them was that I was classically trained for many years up through high school...piano, viola, played in orchestras, etc. I left the classical stuff, or anything resembling classical, far far away once I got into college. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

i only like about 1 ELP album. i think they are one of the most woefully overrated bands among old school rock/prog fans. they are just over praised beyond belief, lol

Mick

• Like 1

For me, it would be a lot of the bands in the 90's that I listened to and saw in concert. WTF !!!

Some of these bands I saw on the second stage at OZZFEST.

STATIC-X

DEFTONES

FEAR FACTORY

DOWNSET.

Nova, I saw the Pixies a little over a year ago in concert. It didn't do much for me.

(And had I known my recorder was going to die halfway through a set, I would have taped Weezer instead. It was my plan to get both bands that night, but alas...)

• Like 1

The Moody Blues

Whenever I either hear and/or listen to anything from their core seven albums or Blue Jays, it is like remembering a very, very, very dear old friend who has long since departed from this vale of tears.

They served their purpose at one time a very long time ago.

• Like 1

Pearl Jam.

I liked their first three or four albums. Then I just started to discover newer music and left them behind. They didn't do anything wrong for me to turn away, I just got into other bands that I ended up liking more.

• Like 2

The Moody Blues

Whenever I either hear and/or listen to anything from their core seven albums or Blue Jays, it is like remembering a very, very, very dear old friend who has long since departed from this vale of tears.

They served their purpose at one time a very long time ago.

Lorraine you're back in thrall!

• Like 1

For me, it would be a lot of the bands in the 90's that I listened to and saw in concert. WTF !!!

Some of these bands I saw on the second stage at OZZFEST.

STATIC-X

DEFTONES

FEAR FACTORY

DOWNSET.

Fear Factory is a band I like on and off. I was really into them from Demanufacture through Digimortal then I didn't pay attention to them for a while. I came back around 2010 but then stopped again for whatever reason and haven't paid attention since. It's strange how that works with some bands.

Pearl Jam.

I liked their first three or four albums. Then I just started to discover newer music and left them behind. They didn't do anything wrong for me to turn away, I just got into other bands that I ended up liking more.

I stopped listening for a brief time. I didn’t get back into their newer albums until avocado and stopped after Yield. I was more into older 80s alternative, dark and new wave in 99 and early 00s when rock stations got infected with broflakey Durst and Kid Rock crap.

• Like 1

I can honestly say I never moved on from a band, I just haven't listened to them in a long time. U2, for instance, I don't like the post-Achtung Baby era at all. But, from time to time, I listen to the first five albums and enjoy them. And, at one point, I didn't listen to Rush for about 15 years.

I think I'm in the same boat. 99.99% of Kiss material that I enjoy is from their classic 1970s era. And probably from the mid-90s to 2015, I didn't listen at all. But then about 5 years back I went and revisited some of those old 70s albums. I don't listen THAT often but Destroyer and Hotter than Hell do get a spin once a season or so.

Hall and Oates might be the closest thing to "moving on". But I occasionally catch myself doing a youtube search for them every so often. Daryl Hall is likely the best vocalist who I don't own any recordings of.

I think many times it's the band moving on from what they did well that loses our attention. Incubus is a good example, although many of the late 90s rap/alt/new metal bands didn't translate beyond that period. Really loved their early stuff, but they morphed into chick-flik movie soundtrack music.

A lot of metal. I've just grown beyond it. The super fast angry stuff..meh. Hair metal, I can only take in small doses.

For me, metal these days is:

Metallica

Priest

Maiden

Anthrax

maybe some Megadeth - only because I like Dave's lyrics.

Have really grown into blues rock. Black Stone Cherry, Joe Bonamassa, etc.

Still dig prog, heavy rock. Asia, Yes, Rush, Floyd, Triumph, Zebra, Zep, ACDC - as a few examples.

The f***ing Who. Perl Jam, Phish.

Love GVF. Yeah, I do.

YYNOT is in constant rotation.

But yeah, leaving metal behind as I get older. Never thought it would happen, but there it is.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Even Rush. Still love the music and listen to it often but it's been 5 years since I saw them live and I don't think I'll go again.

I mean, it’s certain you won’t see them again. Not in this world. :(

• Like 1

Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Emo before emo. Got into them in 1990 Loved the first 3 records. Some great moody songs, introspective and depressing lyrics.

These days? I find them unlistenable. Just maudlin, slow with no pocket, no groove, no ability to really rock. MOR.