Choose one: Robert Fripp or Steve Hackett

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose  

16 members have voted

1. 1. One

• Robert Fripp
    • Steve Hackett

Pick one, whoever you think is better, whoever you prefer personally, whoever makes a tastier BLT, however you choose, do choose!

I love both, but Genesis didn’t become my 4th favorite band in spite of Hackett. Just his weeping licks at the end of Supper’s Ready are enough to win me over. Add in all of The Musical Box, Return Of The Giant Hogweed, and Firth Of Fifth and I’m sold.
  • Like 1

I love both, but Genesis didn’t become my 4th favorite band in spite of Hackett. Just his weeping licks at the end of Supper’s Ready are enough to win me over. Add in all of The Musical Box, Return Of The Giant Hogweed, and Firth Of Fifth and I’m sold.

I disagree, but I always enjoy how you present your opinion.

• Like 1

"Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind And Wuthering" are it for me. Hackett Rules.

I love Crimson. Seen them a few times. Fripp is a Legend, his style isn't my cup of tea. He just sits there in a chair.

I saw Fripp open for Porcupine Tree. He just sat there making whale orgasm sound with this guitar. I was bored shitless.

I knew his cousin from Walnut Creek. She was very nice. Told me many weird stories about Robert. Not a fan but he is a genius.

• Like 1

fripp is almost objectively "better," and crimson are one of my all-time favorite bands. hackett also got a lot of his style from the earlier crimson stuff. fripp pretty much wins in the creativity realm - he created his own type of tuning, and back when crimson weren't just a touring act, he pretty much reinvented his playing with every record. he can achieve the heaviest tone in prog and one of the heaviest in all of music

but while on one level I do prefer fripp, hackett has a knack for melody that seems strictly off limits in robert fripp's music, if that makes any sense. he's also a much more emotional and expressive player than fripp. robert fripp's work is so cerebral and seemingly intentionally alienating. genesis were just better at crafting songs, and hackett was a vital part of that, possibly even the "soul" of the band musically. I enjoy a lot of 80s genesis material, but when you put it up against stuff like "more fool me," "i know what i like," "counting out time," "squonk" (which are all shorter, poppier tracks), it just doesn't sound as human

and then you've got his solo career, with stuff like "star of sirius," "spectral mornings," shadow of the hierophant," - all super emotional, blissful playing. you wouldn't even think it was "prog rock" unless someone told you

• Like 3

I love Crimson. Seen them a few times. Fripp is a Legend, his style isn't my cup of tea. He just sits there in a chair.

I saw Fripp open for Porcupine Tree. He just sat there making whale orgasm sound with this guitar. I was bored shitless.

I knew his cousin from Walnut Creek. She was very nice. Told me many weird stories about Robert. Not a fan but he is a genius.

I admire how staunchly anti-convention fripp is, as far as the stool thing, making his band wear tuxedos and shit. but I'll admit, the vibe at crimson shows is like church or something. you feel impolite just for air drumming because most of their fanbase is like frasier crane

• Like 2

I admire how staunchly anti-convention fripp is, as far as the stool thing, making his band wear tuxedos and shit. but I'll admit, the vibe at crimson shows is like church or something. you feel impolite just for air drumming because most of their fanbase is like frasier crane

Well stated.

• Like 1

fripp is almost objectively "better," and crimson are one of my all-time favorite bands. hackett also got a lot of his style from the earlier crimson stuff. fripp pretty much wins in the creativity realm - he created his own type of tuning, and back when crimson weren't just a touring act, he pretty much reinvented his playing with every record. he can achieve the heaviest tone in prog and one of the heaviest in all of music

but while on one level I do prefer fripp, hackett has a knack for melody that seems strictly off limits in robert fripp's music, if that makes any sense. he's also a much more emotional and expressive player than fripp. robert fripp's work is so cerebral and seemingly intentionally alienating. genesis were just better at crafting songs, and hackett was a vital part of that, possibly even the "soul" of the band musically. I enjoy a lot of 80s genesis material, but when you put it up against stuff like "more fool me," "i know what i like," "counting out time," "squonk" (which are all shorter, poppier tracks), it just doesn't sound as human

and then you've got his solo career, with stuff like "star of sirius," "spectral mornings," shadow of the hierophant," - all super emotional, blissful playing. you wouldn't even think it was "prog rock" unless someone told you

Um, yes. All of this totally! I very much agree! :)

Grazie Mille! :)

• Like 1

I prefer King Crimson to Genesis but I prefer Hackett as a guitarist over Fripp.

You drive me fuckingg nuts. Probably why I love you so much.

This thread made me put on "Trick Of The Tail" and "Wind And Wuthering" tonight. Two masterpieces.

I do enjoy some Genesis after Steve left, but for me, once Steve left it was all downhill from there.

Ironically I think "Calling All Stations" is a masterpiece gem.

Glad I'm fukking weird too. Hey, we love what we love. I will never change for a woman or some guy telling me to listen to BLACK METAL! LOL!!!! FUCKK THAT!

• Like 2