The 2020 NFL thread...14 teams in the playoffs? A 17 game regular season? wtf???

laughedatbytime

A 17 game regular season and 14 team playoff is likely to be in the next CBA, expected to be signed in the next 48 hours, based on ESPN reports.

Hate the 17 game reg season and especially the 14 teams in the playoffs. Good things include only 3 exhibition games (though 0 would have been better) and the fact that there's labor peace for a while longer.

• Like 2

I like extending the season, but I hate the idea of adding more playoff teams.

I feel like the playoff extension is a way to prevent Instead, what they should do is require division winners to earn their seed with a winning record. If they don't achieve at least 9-8 (assuming 17 games, ties aside), the seed goes to a third wildcard team.

With 14 teams in the playoffs, we would've had at least one 8-8 team in the playoffs last year. We don't need that.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Reeks of a money grab, indeed! It's nothing but. The players get their share of the earnings bumped up 1.5% (which is. like millions of dollars) but who knows if they'll live long enough to spend it. Oh well, if they invest carefully, their grandkids will be able to go to college someplace nice. If.

The owners, meanwhile, get to buy another summer home in the south of France. The whole thing is unseemly.

• Like 3

14 in the playoffs is a joke. Eventually we'll get a 7-10 Super Bowl champion who finished 3rd in their division.

I wanted that to happen when Seattle went to the playoffs as a 7-9 team.

This makes the XFL even more appealing.

More teams in the playoffs does not equal better. NFL risks turning into the NBA.

Fun fact: At one point, the NHL had 21 teams and 16 playoff spots.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 3

I remember that! ^^^

It at least partially explains why the Blues made the playoffs for 25 straight seasons, even during the dire Purina years.

More mediocre teams in the playoffs, more wear and tear, an uneven mix of home and away games (unless they can make every team play a "neutral site" game in London, Mexico City, or Kathmandu). This whole idea blows.

Except the fewer games in the preseason; that one's cool.

• Like 1

I like the format I've heard about on sports radio.

Don't shorten the four game preseason crap because the kids are still trying hard to make it.

But what I want to see is a 17 game season.

With two bye weeks.

You all know what this means right?

It means that Super Bowl Sunday will be played the day before President's Day! So all of the millions of useless humans who call in sick and f**k up work productivity can take Monday off!

It's a genius move. JMO

Don't shorten the four game preseason crap because the kids are still trying hard to make it.

With two bye weeks.

Two guaranteed weeks without a Raiders loss?
  • Like 3

With two bye weeks.

Two guaranteed weeks without a Raiders loss?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You kill my soul.

In such a fun loving way.

• Like 1

Eventually we'll get a 7-10 Super Bowl champion who finished 3rd in their division.

The chances of it happening are very slim. However, if it does happen, then the blame will sit fully on the shoulders of the top seeded teams for not playing better.

I don't like the scenario either, but it would certainly give the top teams some additional incentive: Avoiding the embarrassment of losing to a crappy team.

• Like 1

Eventually we'll get a 7-10 Super Bowl champion who finished 3rd in their division.

The chances of it happening are very slim. However, if it does happen, then the blame will sit fully on the shoulders of the top seeded teams for not playing better.

I don't like the scenario either, but it would certainly give the top teams some additional incentive: Avoiding the embarrassment of losing to a crappy team.

A lot of teams build a strong season record on multiple very narrow wins, so record can be deceiving. In the scenario, my concern isn't that an undeserving team makes the playoffs, but rather the toll that extra games take on athletes.
  • Like 1

Vontaze Burfict Jr. is on the loose again. Did he learn anything, yet?

5.3 million in lost salary, and fines.

What team should take a chance on the free falling agent?

I think it could be a left coast team like Seattle or the Rams, and wouldn't be surprised if he sits until week 8.

What say yous?

Do the NFL owners have the players over a barrel or a bong maybe? CBD? Open Secrets like the NBA... turn a blind eye? The deal seems to stink IMO. Shorter careers and/or life threatening injuries? Load Management? Ten game injury lists? Sweetning the pot? Tough decisions for a tough sport. How much money is enough? Manana!

A lot of teams build a strong season record on multiple very narrow wins, so record can be deceiving. In the scenario, my concern isn't that an undeserving team makes the playoffs, but rather the toll that extra games take on athletes.

Especially those wild card games. Jeez!

The Badgers' Jonathan Taylor ran a 4.41, 4.42 and 4.39 at the Combine. :haz:

I will love watching both him and JK Dobbins in the pros!

Interesting too, the changes in the proposed CBA re: drug testing and consequences of violation:

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-nfl-cba-would-eliminate-suspensions-for-positive-drug-tests-including-marijuana-215756378.html

Nothing has changed with respect to PEDs, but the league is getting softer on pretty much everything else, including opioids.