Choose one: Iommi or Hendrix

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose  

26 members have voted

1. 1. One

Choose however you like. Which one you think is better, more influential, your personal favorite, your desert island disk candidate, however. And please do argue your opinion if you care to!
  • Like 1

I’m gonna not vote for now. The discussion in the Purple thread has me in a particular mindset that doesn’t necessarily reflect my actual opinion.

Both are great, there is no doubt about that, but the music of Black Sabbath is implemented in my genes.

Iommi it is!

• Like 4

Oh and an interesting side note. It was mentioned in the other thread that Ozzy himself prefers Hendrix. While that may be true, Hendrix himself mentioned Terry Kath as being better than him. Terry’s incredible, but how much better is he than Iommi? To me this just shows that using artist’s own preferences is just gonna get you spun around in circles. I prefer to do my own choosing.
  • Like 1

Oh and an interesting side note. It was mentioned in the other thread that Ozzy himself prefers Hendrix. While that may be true, Hendrix himself mentioned Terry Kath as being better than him. Terry’s incredible, but how much better is he than Iommi? To me this just shows that using artist’s own preferences is just gonna get you spun around in circles. I prefer to do my own choosing.

that is reassuring

• Like 3

Hendrix and Iommi utilized drop-tuned guitars and are 'southpaws'.

What's interesting is that Iommi played Fender guitars at the beginning and then switched to Gibson.

Hendrix played Fender guitars primarily and used a Gibson on rare occasions.

Lemmy Kilmister was Hendrix's roadie and was also a long time friend of Iommi.

• Like 3

Holy shred. I think he embodied every last character on that album cover just with different sections of his solo.

• Like 1

I would take Mitch Mitchell over Bill Ward any day.

Yes!

Mitch Mitchell was a big influence on me when I started playing the drums. He had a lot of swinging sensibility, which I don’t think a lot of people think about when it comes to the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

• Like 3

I would take Mitch Mitchell over Bill Ward any day.

Yes!

Mitch Mitchell was a big influence on me when I started playing the drums. He had a lot of swinging sensibility, which I don’t think a lot of people think about when it comes to the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

• Like 1

Bit of an unfair comparison in a way since Jimi only had 27 years to grow and show the world his artistry and Tony's now into his 70s.

As for who influenced more players after him, you probably have to give it to Jimi since he came first.

But Tony's my favorite guitarist overall. Not only for the music he created, but also for how ingeniously he adapted after an accident that would've ended 99% of other guitarists' ambitions. Funny to think that if his mother hadn't made him go back to the factory on the day he planned to quit, there would've been no lost fingertips, thus no need for him to completely invent a new style of playing, thus the evolution of heavy metal would've turned out completely different.

• Like 3