I Am So Excited! PRIMUS TO PLAY "A FAREWELL TO KINGS" All The Way Through! The Greek! Berkeley Ca July 17,2020!!

RUSHHEAD666

Amazing. I love Rush and Blondie, but together? Hmmmmmmm

So I am friends with all the Y&T guys. They told me many stories about opening up for RUSH on the East Coast in 1984.

Meniketti would go out on stage and verbally bash new wave bands like Blondie, Talking Heads, Flock Of Seagulls, Modern English, Frankie Goes To Hollywood on and on and on every night.

One night after Y&T was done with their set, Geddy went up to Dave and told him to never do that shit again on stage.

Dave respected Geddy's wishes.

That's cool. Rush dug the New Wave bands.

Thanks bud! Yes they did! Look what happened to Y&T after 1984! "In Rock We Trust" almost went gold, but then Dave and Co went downhill. "Down The Tubes" Tour as Neil would say about "Caress."

After "In Rock We Trust" they put out "Open Fire." A great live album, but A&M put "Summertime Girls" on it. Yeah, a big MTV commercial hit, but to my young ears it was PURE SHITE.

From there Y&T put out "Down For The Count." A terrible album and art too. JMO

Then A&M dropped Y&T and Geffen signed them. They fired Haze and hired the young and good looking Jimmy DeGrasso. Good timekeeper on the kit, but no Leonard.

Meniketti actually told me when they were in the Geffen lobby waiting to work out the new contract, guess who else was next to them in the lobby?

Yep! GUNS N ROSES!

So then Y&T did "Contagious." "Ten" then were dropped again. They did "Musically Incorrect" and "Endangered Species." I liked some of those albums but it was nothing like the first six records.

"Yesterday & Today"

"Struck Down"

"Earthshaker"

"Black Tiger"

"Mean Streak"

"In Rock We Trust"

All masterpieces to me.

Then ten years ago Y&T resurfaced with their last studio album. "Facemelter." It was the last record to feature most of the writing and bass chops by the late great Phil Kennemore.

He was a great guy and his wife was sweet too. They are both gone now.

Anyway, probably too much history about Y&T but my top two bands back in the Eighties were always

RUSH

Y&T

I was always surprised why Y&T opened for RUSH on the East Coast, when they are a Bay Area band.

I would have shit myself if I was able to see Y&T open for RUSH at the Cow Palace back in 1984. But that was not the case.

Another quick story that John Nymann told me about Y&T and Journey.

So not sure if you have heard of Herbie Herbert. But he was the manager back then of both Y&T and Journey.

One band was going to get signed by CBS EPIC. The other was going to get A&M.

So Herbie flipped a coin. I believe Neal Schon called it. It was heads I believe. So Journey was awarded the CBS contract.

Y&T got stuck and fukked with the A&M label. So not sure if that had anything to do with Y&T's demise.

If I were Dave Meniketti, I would have taken the Ozzy Osbourne job after Randy passed away.

Ozzy and Sharon flew to the Bay Area to ask Dave to join. Ozzy actually got on his hands and knees and begged Dave to join.

Dave politely passed and stayed with Y&T.

Did you know that Yesterday & Today was Leonard Haze's band? Haze hired Meniketti.

But today it's Dave's band. He was able to buy up everyone's 25% cut.

Crazy music business man.

Hell, I'm in the wrong business! LOL! Too bad the music biz sucks ass today. That's life!!

"LIFE LIFE LIFE!"

Love,

Y&T

LOL!!

It does suck now. I'm so glad I grew up when I did. What happened in popular music between 1965 - 1995 was a rare phenomena. Music was, as you say, LIFE! Now so many great artists are leaving us. The end of an era. But thankfully we have the music. It lives on. If only Beethoven had been able to make albums and DVDs...

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Amazing. I love Rush and Blondie, but together? Hmmmmmmm

So I am friends with all the Y&T guys. They told me many stories about opening up for RUSH on the East Coast in 1984.

Meniketti would go out on stage and verbally bash new wave bands like Blondie, Talking Heads, Flock Of Seagulls, Modern English, Frankie Goes To Hollywood on and on and on every night.

One night after Y&T was done with their set, Geddy went up to Dave and told him to never do that shit again on stage.

Dave respected Geddy's wishes.

That's cool. Rush dug the New Wave bands.

Thanks bud! Yes they did! Look what happened to Y&T after 1984! "In Rock We Trust" almost went gold, but then Dave and Co went downhill. "Down The Tubes" Tour as Neil would say about "Caress."

After "In Rock We Trust" they put out "Open Fire." A great live album, but A&M put "Summertime Girls" on it. Yeah, a big MTV commercial hit, but to my young ears it was PURE SHITE.

From there Y&T put out "Down For The Count." A terrible album and art too. JMO

Then A&M dropped Y&T and Geffen signed them. They fired Haze and hired the young and good looking Jimmy DeGrasso. Good timekeeper on the kit, but no Leonard.

Meniketti actually told me when they were in the Geffen lobby waiting to work out the new contract, guess who else was next to them in the lobby?

Yep! GUNS N ROSES!

So then Y&T did "Contagious." "Ten" then were dropped again. They did "Musically Incorrect" and "Endangered Species." I liked some of those albums but it was nothing like the first six records.

"Yesterday & Today"

"Struck Down"

"Earthshaker"

"Black Tiger"

"Mean Streak"

"In Rock We Trust"

All masterpieces to me.

Then ten years ago Y&T resurfaced with their last studio album. "Facemelter." It was the last record to feature most of the writing and bass chops by the late great Phil Kennemore.

He was a great guy and his wife was sweet too. They are both gone now.

Anyway, probably too much history about Y&T but my top two bands back in the Eighties were always

RUSH

Y&T

I was always surprised why Y&T opened for RUSH on the East Coast, when they are a Bay Area band.

I would have shit myself if I was able to see Y&T open for RUSH at the Cow Palace back in 1984. But that was not the case.

Another quick story that John Nymann told me about Y&T and Journey.

So not sure if you have heard of Herbie Herbert. But he was the manager back then of both Y&T and Journey.

One band was going to get signed by CBS EPIC. The other was going to get A&M.

So Herbie flipped a coin. I believe Neal Schon called it. It was heads I believe. So Journey was awarded the CBS contract.

Y&T got stuck and fukked with the A&M label. So not sure if that had anything to do with Y&T's demise.

If I were Dave Meniketti, I would have taken the Ozzy Osbourne job after Randy passed away.

Ozzy and Sharon flew to the Bay Area to ask Dave to join. Ozzy actually got on his hands and knees and begged Dave to join.

Dave politely passed and stayed with Y&T.

Did you know that Yesterday & Today was Leonard Haze's band? Haze hired Meniketti.

But today it's Dave's band. He was able to buy up everyone's 25% cut.

Crazy music business man.

Hell, I'm in the wrong business! LOL! Too bad the music biz sucks ass today. That's life!!

"LIFE LIFE LIFE!"

Love,

Y&T

LOL!!

It does suck now. I'm so glad I grew up when I did. What happened in popular music between 1965 - 1995 was a rare phenomena. Music was, as you say, LIFE! Now so many great artists are leaving us. The end of an era. But thankfully we have the music. It lives on. If only Beethoven had been able to make albums and DVDs...

Amazing my friend. Great post! I agree 2112%!!

Beethoven's Ninth is my favorite classical piece. I saw it performed live in San Francisco for a college graduation present. Funny, it was in 1995. Incredible.

We have our music still. I will NEVER part with my physical cd and vinyl collection. I love that the masses in this country are dumping all of their prized collection on eBay or at local used record stores.

I'm the guy that will hunt and search every week in my local record stores and find out of print gems. Stuff that Crapple Music I'm Spottingafly and downshitloads don't have.

I was married for 19 years. It was a great run.

Been married to my music since 1979.

I will never part with Her.

Music will never cheat on me.

Music will never get sick and die on me.

Music will never want to fight with me.

Music will never get jealous.

Music will never tell me what I can and cannot do.

Music is the Universal Language.

Music is my Religion.

Music is my LIFE!!!!

I hope to find true love again with a mortal woman,

Yet I am not sure about ever having another WIFE!!!

Cheers!!!

RUSH ON FOREVER!

NEIL RULES!!!

• Like 1

I wanted to share another story on here about Primus and their friendship with RUSH.

So I was in San Francisco for another NYE Concert. Not sure of the year. 1992? 1993?

It was Mr. Bungle opening and PRIMUS headlining.

I've told this story before on here but who knows where it is today.

So Mr. Bungle hits the stage. They were all wearing animal masks. The band was shitfaced.

Mike Patten removes his mask and starts ranting and raving to the audience.

He then dared to take off his Converse shoe, whip out his cock, urinate into his shoe and then drink it.

So the moshers in the pit were going crazy. My friends and I with our girlfriends at the time were yelling "GO FOR IT!"

So Mike took off his shoe, pissed inside it and drank his urine on stage. It was pretty fuckking wild.

I love the first Mr. Bungle record. It's a masterpiece. Remember, the opening track on the record is called "TRAVOLTA." Will John sued the band to have them remove his name off the album and TRAVOLTA won. Scientologist Dick! lol

Anyway so now here comes PRIMUS!

They were kicking ass as usual, but I noticed something different about this show. They had new lights and a killer ceiling effect going on as they played.

Then it dawned on my Rushhead Brain that they were using a projection system of bits and clips of interesting and very familiar video footage.

Well guess what Rush Forum??

It was video clips all cut up and spliced and diced and thrown onto the ceil of PRESTO VIDEO!! A lot of the animation video used on the "Presto" Rush Tour was given to Les and the boys and they used it in their show!!

I was tripping out guys.

I was watching the ceiling more than the band!! "Presto" back screen video footage was going on all night long during the gig.

I was a great show.

large_The_Philadelphia_Inquirer_-_1979-01-141_465_976_int.jpg

While looking that up found....this^^^^

This is incredible!! What was the date of this show????

You might kill me. I was into Blondie before RUSH.

I am serious.

Crazy!

I believe this was ‘79, Hemispheres tour!

Might have been ‘80, I’m not certain.

I had a look and on 1/21/79 Blondie opened for Rush at the Spectrum

https://www.rush.com/tour/hemispheres/

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1979/spectrum-philadelphia-pa-23d900c7.html

Was this the show where Rush fans booed Blondie off the stage? I read that story somewhere...

I read something similar but don’t know which show it was

Not yet but I’m sure Adolph Newsom will see to it unfortunately.

You are killing me soul. I'm hoping for July 3 2020 to be back to somewhat normal day. Grewsom Newsom is a "Smooth Criminal." Even praising Trump. Newsom has been groomed for President since day one. He reminds me of Sam Neil in OMEN 3.

large_The_Philadelphia_Inquirer_-_1979-01-141_465_976_int.jpg

While looking that up found....this^^^^

This is incredible!! What was the date of this show????

You might kill me. I was into Blondie before RUSH.

I am serious.

Crazy!

I believe this was ‘79, Hemispheres tour!

Might have been ‘80, I’m not certain.

I had a look and on 1/21/79 Blondie opened for Rush at the Spectrum

https://www.rush.com/tour/hemispheres/

https://www.setlist....a-23d900c7.html

Was this the show where Rush fans booed Blondie off the stage? I read that story somewhere...

I read something similar but don’t know which show it was

There was a podcast I heard recently where Clem Burke discusses opening for Genesis. He claims the roadies sabotaged Blondie's gear, and nothing would work! And he was pissed because he was a fan of Phil's.

• Like 1

primus canceling these gigs now it seems

Everything is postponed or cancelled until next summer. A vaccine must be made before there will ever be concerts or sporting events with fans.

NFL will play, but with no fans too.

• Like 1

Everything is postponed or cancelled until next summer. A vaccine must be made before there will ever be concerts or sporting events with fans.

Holy John The Fisherman!

This thread has been dead for over a year and for just cause.

Guess it's cool I wrote this thread in the Neil Section. Makes sense after I just saw Primus play their gig at The Greek in Berkeley!

Been waiting a long time for this show. It finally happened.

I was so excited today as my old title header says actually.

However I was left with mixed emotions.

It was awesome to hear Les talk about Neil and Rush music before going into "Closer To The Heart."

Don't worry, I won't give you any spoilers. You all know they play A Farewell To Kings all the way through.

It was a valiant effort. Musically stunning. Vocally challenged. (well duh) but seriously, I was a bit shocked.

I was very upset with the lighting. It was terrible. You couldn't see Les, Ler and Herb at all. The lighting was better during some Rush covers but overall it sucked.

The set list had a few amazing moments, yet they seemed to more of a stoner jam band last night. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not into smoking weed. It puts me to sleep.

There was more weed there than a fuckking pot farm in Humboldt County.

I have a front row ticket to tonight in Paso Robles and a meet and greet. I am selling my ticket and not going.

Not worth it for me to go back to back.

Damn, I guess I am changing. But for me, it's for the best. I would rather hang out with my woman. Taking her out to dinner. Then we are going to watch a movie. Cuddle in bed and make love.

Yes! This may make some of you puke.

But for me?

BLISS!

Love is fuckking real if you can find it through all the smoke and mirrors of life and social media mediocre madness.

Playing "Frizzle Fry" on vinyl right now. An Epic Masterpiece.

Primus.

Another band I am proud to say I fell in love with from the start.

Sadly, they weren't "Closer To The Heart" tonight.

It was fun air drumming to "Xanadu."

Some dude tapped me on the shoulder after and said...... "Damn dude you f***in;; hit everything perfectly. Were you just waiting for Primus to get through the first set?"

I said...

"No dude, I've been into Primus since "Suck On This" was released. Seen them over 30 times. Just a Neil Peart guy. Been drumming since 1980 thanks to him!"

The guy said....

"That's so cool man, I've been drumming since 2007 thanks to Neil."

I told him to keep drumming everyday. He agreed.

I guess at the end of this post, it's safe to say that I'm glad this thread is in the Neil Peart Section.

Great now I'm getting emotionally as I type this.

Les said that he wished Neil was still alive to see the shows.

Les also told everyone that it was just a fact that he was the greatest drummer ever. Also an incredible lyricist. Duh!

Amazing.

You can always say that Buddy Rich was the best ever. Keith Moon. Both were Neil's Idols and Influences.

Humans can pick any drummer they want to be their number one. Their BEST!

I'm 53.

Neil Peart is the greatest fuckking drummer who ever lived. No one can touch him.

Simon Phillips.

Your poser poster boy Portnoy.

Bozzio.

Copeland.

Weckl.

Gadd.

Bellson.

My guy Simon Phillips.

Gavin.

Phil Collins.

All amazing.

NEIL PEART IS THE ONE!

My opinion. My Love.

Neil.

Forever.

I can play "Hemispheres." I can do it. My favorite.

Neil's Spirit will always be.

RUSH ON!

• Like 3

Holy John The Fisherman!

Guess it's cool I wrote this thread in the Neil Section. Makes sense after I just saw Primus play their gig at The Greek in Berkeley!

It was awesome to hear Les talk about Neil and Rush music before going into "Closer To The Heart."

Don't worry, I won't give you any spoilers. You all know they play A Farewell To Kings all the way through.

It was a valiant effort. Musically stunning. Vocally challenged. (well duh) but seriously, I was a bit shocked.

I was very upset with the lighting. It was terrible. You couldn't see Les, Ler and Herb at all. The lighting was better during some Rush covers but overall it sucked.

The set list had a few amazing moments, yet they seemed to more of a stoner jam band last night. Nothing wrong with that but I'm not into smoking weed. It puts me to sleep.

I have a front row ticket to tonight in Paso Robles and a meet and greet. I am selling my ticket and not going.

Damn, I guess I am changing. But for me, it's for the best. I would rather hang out with my woman. Taking her out to dinner. Then we are going to watch a movie. Cuddle in bed and make love.

But for me?

BLISS!

Love is fuckking real if you can find it through all the smoke and mirrors of life and social media mediocre madness.

Primus.

Some dude tapped me on the shoulder after and said...... "Damn dude you f***in;; hit everything perfectly. Were you just waiting for Primus to get through the first set?"

I said...

"No dude, I've been into Primus since "Suck On This" was released. Seen them over 30 times. Just a Neil Peart guy. Been drumming since 1980 thanks to him!"

The guy said....

I guess at the end of this post, it's safe to say that I'm glad this thread is in the Neil Peart Section.

Les also told everyone that it was just a fact that he was the greatest drummer ever. Also an incredible lyricist. Duh!

Amazing.

You can always say that Buddy Rich was the best ever. Keith Moon. Both were Neil's Idols and Influences.

I'm 53.

Neil Peart is the greatest fuckking drummer who ever lived. No one can touch him.

Simon Phillips.

Bozzio.

Copeland.

Weckl.

Gadd.

Bellson.

My guy Simon Phillips.

Gavin.

Phil Collins.

All amazing.

NEIL PEART IS THE ONE!

My opinion. My Love.

Neil.

Forever.

RUSH ON!

That's nice dear ;)

• Like 2

There's something low key funny about seeing Fridge's name associated with a thread titled "I'm so EXCITED...". as it shows up currently.

Too bad this post ruins that visual...

• Like 3

There's something low key funny about seeing Fridge's name associated with a thread titled "I'm so EXCITED...". as it shows up currently.

Too bad this post ruins that visual...

And here's a post to remedy that ;)

• Like 4

Holy John The Fisherman!

But for me?

BLISS!

Primus.

I said...

The guy said....

Amazing.

I'm 53.

Simon Phillips.

Bozzio.

Copeland.

Weckl.

Gadd.

Bellson.

My guy Simon Phillips.

Gavin.

Phil Collins.

All amazing.

NEIL PEART IS THE ONE!

My opinion. My Love.

Neil.

Forever.

RUSH ON!

That's nice dear ;)

Why thank you darling.

• Like 2

Earl, I am glad you had a good time. The shows in my neck of the woods are currently postponed.

Thank you! Sorry they postponed the shows around you!

Last night was a mixed bag but overall it was a fun show.

A Little Ain't Enough Earl.

• Like 1

Earl, I am glad you had a good time. The shows in my neck of the woods are currently postponed.

A Little Ain't Enough Earl.

Hahahaha! Ain't that the truth!

• Like 1

my buddy posted some footage of Closer to The Heart at the Greek Theater in LA. OOF

I would rather see Seas of Cheese in its entirety.

I enjoyed the show in Richmond, VA.

Pretty sure I would have not gone had their not been the AFtK set.

Had seen Primus 3 times previously. Twice opening for Rush and once headlining (Halloween 93 in Radford, VA).

Leaving the venue, I ran into the keyboard player for one of the local bands I go see quite often and chatted with him. He was not pleased at all with the performance. He said that Primus was his favorite band and that they gave little/no effort that night. I was just happy to get some live Rush so it was all good to me.

• Like 1

I'm seeing them tonight in San Diego, I saw them in 2018 and loved it. I'm very excited to hear them play my favorite Rush album in it's entirety.
  • Like 2