I Am So Excited! PRIMUS TO PLAY "A FAREWELL TO KINGS" All The Way Through! The Greek! Berkeley Ca July 17,2020!!

RUSHHEAD666

I love that this is my thread!! I LOVE hijacking and talking about whatever comes to mind!!

GET THE NEW DANKO JONES RECORD!! "A ROCK SUPREME!" Come on man, they are a three piece from TORONTO!

The RUSH Torch has been passed. Time for a thread boys and girls!!!

ROCK LIVES!

THREE PIECE BANDS RULE!

See? I can stay on topic.

RUSH

PRIMUS

THE POLICE

STEVIE RAY AND DOUBLE TROUBLE

ZZ TOP

TRIUMPH

DANKO JONES

ERIC JOHNSON

NIRVANA

So many more.......

What?! No King’s X?!

Ouch!

Great call! "FAITH HOPE LOVE!"

Seen them twice. Great band!!

Pat Travers Band

ZEBRA

• Like 1

large_The_Philadelphia_Inquirer_-_1979-01-141_465_976_int.jpg

While looking that up found....this^^^^

This is incredible!! What was the date of this show????

You might kill me. I was into Blondie before RUSH.

I am serious.

Crazy!

I believe this was ‘79, Hemispheres tour!

Might have been ‘80, I’m not certain.

• Like 1

I am serious.

Crazy!

I had a look and on 1/21/79 Blondie opened for Rush at the Spectrum

https://www.rush.com/tour/hemispheres/

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1979/spectrum-philadelphia-pa-23d900c7.html

• Like 1

I will be at Asbury park

same here. I’m bringing my son along and we will do the meet/greet—We’re both Primus fans. I saw them w/Mastodon a couple of summers ago and attended the q&a and met Les. Cool guys. The topic of my first Primus show came up because it was around 1990 with 24/7 spyz at another venue in town and they talked about the sound guy screwing up the vocals. My buddy and I happen to know the guy they were talking about and assured them he probably deserved the punch that got Primus’ sound guy thrown out.

• Like 2

I will be at Asbury park

same here. I’m bringing my son along and we will do the meet/greet—We’re both Primus fans. I saw them w/Mastodon a couple of summers ago and attended the q&a and met Les. Cool guys. The topic of my first Primus show came up because it was around 1990 with 24/7 spyz at another venue in town and they talked about the sound guy screwing up the vocals. My buddy and I happen to know the guy they were talking about and assured them he probably deserved the punch that got Primus’ sound guy thrown out.

Nice! I dig 24/7 Spyz! Did you say punch? "Tales From The Punch Bowl?" lol I prefer a can of pork soda!!!

1582862120[/url'>' post='4733624']
1582829034' post='4733467']
1582079748[/url]' post='4730036']

I will be at Asbury park

Nice! I dig 24/7 Spyz! Did you say punch? "Tales From The Punch Bowl?" lol I prefer a can of pork soda!!!

Primus’ sound guy punched the house sound guy from the Fastlane for refusing to put any of Les’ vocals thru the PA and got tossed during Primus set. It was fun talking about it with them, because we were at the show and knew Jim Boone, the annoying sound guy in question. Phil Anselmo even mocked him onstage at Convention Hall years after a run in with him on their first big tour, and when he did his imitation of him, my brother and I looked at each other and yelled in unison “Boone!” There can be only one. “If it’s good enough for Red Hot Chili Peppers, it’s good enough fer yooooouuuuu!” We were dying.

Anyway my biggest regret was not asking the Primus guys at the time how it felt to move up one spot automatically on the list of great live rock trios after Rush had pretty much officially retired at the time. Now it would be kinda a bummer to bring up in light of Neil’s passing.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

I will be at Asbury park

Primus’ sound guy punched the house sound guy from the Fastlane for refusing to put any of Les’ vocals thru the PA and got tossed during Primus set. It was fun talking about it with them, because we were at the show and knew Jim Boone, the annoying sound guy in question. Phil Anselmo even mocked him onstage at Convention Hall years after a run in with him on their first big tour, and when he did his imitation of him, my brother and I looked at each other and yelled in unison “Boone!” There can be only one. “If it’s good enough for Red Hot Chili Peppers, it’s good enough fer yooooouuuuu!” We were dying.

Anyway my biggest regret was not asking the Primus guys at the time how it felt to move up one spot automatically on the list of great live rock trios after Rush had pretty much officially retired at the time. Now it would be kinda a bummer to bring up in light of Neil’s passing.

Awesome post man! Thanks for sharing!! Awesome stories. That would be a great question to ask them but yeah not now. I am doing a meet and greet at Paso Robles. Not sure what to ask them. As a drummer who fell in love with Neil in the seventh grade I will probably ask Herb when he listened to Neil for the first time.

Are the hardcore Primus fans going to be upset about Rush fans making the tickets that much more unavailable w/ increased demand? Just a thought.

Hahaha! I don't care at all! I'm a diehard Rush and Primus Freak!! I was RUSH and PRIMUS together four times on the "Roll The Bones" Tour. EPIC!!!!!

1991-12-03.jpg

we had Vinnie Moore....

29 years later and still not thrilled about that. Primus would have been so much better.

• Like 1

Are the hardcore Primus fans going to be upset about Rush fans making the tickets that much more unavailable w/ increased demand? Just a thought.

Hahaha! I don't care at all! I'm a diehard Rush and Primus Freak!! I was RUSH and PRIMUS together four times on the "Roll The Bones" Tour. EPIC!!!!!

1991-12-03.jpg

we had Vinnie Moore....

29 years later and still not thrilled about that. Primus would have been so much better.

This wasn't the only tour we got the short end of the stick...

• Like 1

I am serious.

Crazy!

I had a look and on 1/21/79 Blondie opened for Rush at the Spectrum

https://www.rush.com/tour/hemispheres/

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1979/spectrum-philadelphia-pa-23d900c7.html

Was this the show where Rush fans booed Blondie off the stage? I read that story somewhere...

Amazing. I love Rush and Blondie, but together? Hmmmmmmm

So I am friends with all the Y&T guys. They told me many stories about opening up for RUSH on the East Coast in 1984.

Meniketti would go out on stage and verbally bash new wave bands like Blondie, Talking Heads, Flock Of Seagulls, Modern English, Frankie Goes To Hollywood on and on and on every night.

One night after Y&T was done with their set, Geddy went up to Dave and told him to never do that shit again on stage.

Dave respected Geddy's wishes.

• Like 1

So I am friends with all the Y&T guys. They told me many stories about opening up for RUSH on the East Coast in 1984.

Meniketti would go out on stage and verbally bash new wave bands like Blondie, Talking Heads, Flock Of Seagulls, Modern English, Frankie Goes To Hollywood on and on and on every night.

One night after Y&T was done with their set, Geddy went up to Dave and told him to never do that shit again on stage.

That's cool. Rush dug the New Wave bands.

• Like 1

That's cool. Rush dug the New Wave bands.

Thanks bud! Yes they did! Look what happened to Y&T after 1984! "In Rock We Trust" almost went gold, but then Dave and Co went downhill. "Down The Tubes" Tour as Neil would say about "Caress."

After "In Rock We Trust" they put out "Open Fire." A great live album, but A&M put "Summertime Girls" on it. Yeah, a big MTV commercial hit, but to my young ears it was PURE SHITE.

From there Y&T put out "Down For The Count." A terrible album and art too. JMO

Then A&M dropped Y&T and Geffen signed them. They fired Haze and hired the young and good looking Jimmy DeGrasso. Good timekeeper on the kit, but no Leonard.

Meniketti actually told me when they were in the Geffen lobby waiting to work out the new contract, guess who else was next to them in the lobby?

Yep! GUNS N ROSES!

So then Y&T did "Contagious." "Ten" then were dropped again. They did "Musically Incorrect" and "Endangered Species." I liked some of those albums but it was nothing like the first six records.

"Yesterday & Today"

"Struck Down"

"Earthshaker"

"Black Tiger"

"Mean Streak"

"In Rock We Trust"

All masterpieces to me.

Then ten years ago Y&T resurfaced with their last studio album. "Facemelter." It was the last record to feature most of the writing and bass chops by the late great Phil Kennemore.

He was a great guy and his wife was sweet too. They are both gone now.

Anyway, probably too much history about Y&T but my top two bands back in the Eighties were always

RUSH

Y&T

I was always surprised why Y&T opened for RUSH on the East Coast, when they are a Bay Area band.

I would have shit myself if I was able to see Y&T open for RUSH at the Cow Palace back in 1984. But that was not the case.

Another quick story that John Nymann told me about Y&T and Journey.

So not sure if you have heard of Herbie Herbert. But he was the manager back then of both Y&T and Journey.

One band was going to get signed by CBS EPIC. The other was going to get A&M.

So Herbie flipped a coin. I believe Neal Schon called it. It was heads I believe. So Journey was awarded the CBS contract.

Y&T got stuck and fukked with the A&M label. So not sure if that had anything to do with Y&T's demise.

If I were Dave Meniketti, I would have taken the Ozzy Osbourne job after Randy passed away.

Ozzy and Sharon flew to the Bay Area to ask Dave to join. Ozzy actually got on his hands and knees and begged Dave to join.

Dave politely passed and stayed with Y&T.

Did you know that Yesterday & Today was Leonard Haze's band? Haze hired Meniketti.

But today it's Dave's band. He was able to buy up everyone's 25% cut.

Crazy music business man.

Hell, I'm in the wrong business! LOL! Too bad the music biz sucks ass today. That's life!!

"LIFE LIFE LIFE!"

Love,

Y&T

LOL!!

• Like 1