POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

Texas King

POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: PURPLE HAZE or PURPLE RAIN?

• Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
    • Prince - Purple Rain

'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!

I think even Prince would be inclined to agree with the poll results, though maybe not the blowout factor, lol.

• Like 4

Eric Clapton has covered both a Hendrix song ('Little Wing') and a Prince song ('Purple Rain'). It shows the respect he has for both musicians.

Miles Davis also revered Hendrix and Prince as well.

I like both so I can't choose one over the other.

I read the story of both songs in these NPR interviews below.

The Story Behind 'Purple Haze'

All Possibilities: The 'Purple Rain' Story

Both Hendrix and Prince were tired of the expectations of having to be known for their hit songs. They wanted to expand musically.

Hendrix's magnum opus is Electric Ladyland and for Prince it is Sign o' the Times. Both double albums.

If I had to choose a song that's a musical transition of after Hendrix and before Prince, it would be 'Maggot Brain' featuring Eddie Hazel on guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1NW57lk5fY

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

• Like 1

Purple Rain. I don't care if it's not "right" but i've never been a fan of Hendrix. respect the hell out of him. but not a fan.

Mick

Same.

I know and appreciate the impact he had on rock guitar but I have never heard a song from Hendrix that I particularly cared for.

little miss strange has been ran over by crosstown traffic in a purple haze on route to castles made of sand!

• Like 3

Mick

Same.

little miss strange has been ran over by crosstown traffic in a purple haze on route to castles made of sand!

What?

'Scuse me while I vote for Prince.

Lol. two great tunes. I went for jimi and America sang about purple rain long before prince in ventura highway......

Jimi's biggest hit was cover. Hack.

:P

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

Really? That surprises me.

Mick

Same.

...where the wind cries Mary...

• Like 2

Mick

Same.

Why does it surprise you?

• Like 1

Mick

Same.

...where the wind cries Mary...

Nice!
  • Like 2

Mick

Same.

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

Seems weird for a guy of your tastes

• Like 3

Mick

Same.

Not one song among the classics like Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, All Along The Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Purple Haze...

Seems weird for a guy of your tastes

They’re all classics. Just three albums and every last track is essential listening.

• Like 2