2020 NASCAR Season thread

blueschica

Either way, it was sad it was there for so long before anyone noticed. Glad the crews gave a show of support, that was a powerful picture.

If that knot turns out to be nothing at all, then that picture will lose almost all of its credibility.

We'll probably never find out who made the knot. He will most probably refrain from coming forward. If he does, he will probably be fired, be crucified by the media and social media, and even be harassed/assaulted at home.

Either way, it was sad it was there for so long before anyone noticed. Glad the crews gave a show of support, that was a powerful picture.

If that knot turns out to be nothing at all, then that picture will lose almost all of its credibility.

We'll probably never find out who made the knot. He will most probably refrain from coming forward. If he does, he will probably be fired, be crucified by the media and social media, and even be harassed/assaulted at home.

Time will tell but Nascar had just banned the Confederate Flag so these issues were going to be addressed one way or another. Yes the picture may have limited value but the seed is planted and we have to wait and see how it grows or if it is just a passing fad.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

Either way, it was sad it was there for so long before anyone noticed. Glad the crews gave a show of support, that was a powerful picture. Haven't watched racing since Rusty Wallace days but I hope this helps raise awareness of how pervasive this stuff is in our lives not just racing.

Well said :cheers:
  • Like 1

Some of the best NASCAR news I've seen in a while, big schedule changes in place for 2021. SIX road course races, a dirt race at Bristol. California being reconfigured into a short track- like a high banked martinsville. Sounds like they're going to stick with the single day event format for most races. I think covid may end up being a blessing in disguise for NASCAR. Getting rid of qualifying and practice for most race weekends is going to save the teams a lot of money, and we now know it doesn't hurt raceday at all- single day race weekends are good for everyone. It allows more variation in the schedule and it allows the track facilities to run more lean and efficiently.

Can't wait to see cup cars on dirt. Can't wait to see cup cars at Road America.

Is 2021 the year Brian Frances' legacy finally rinses away? They're walking back that awful high down-force package at a number of tracks, and reducing the number of cookie cutter ovals. There's more diversity between the tracks than ever, and costs are finally coming back down for owners. I'm more hopeful for NASCAR now than I have been in 20 years. Now if only they'd end the stage racing and fix the points system, we'd be in great shape.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Some of the best NASCAR news I've seen in a while, big schedule changes in place for 2021. SIX road course races, a dirt race at Bristol. California being reconfigured into a short track- like a high banked martinsville. Sounds like they're going to stick with the single day event format for most races. I think covid may end up being a blessing in disguise for NASCAR. Getting rid of qualifying and practice for most race weekends is going to save the teams a lot of money, and we now know it doesn't hurt raceday at all- single day race weekends are good for everyone. It allows more variation in the schedule and it allows the track facilities to run more lean and efficiently.

Is 2021 the year Brian Frances' legacy finally rinses away? They're walking back that awful high down-force package at a number of tracks, and reducing the number of cookie cutter ovals. There's more diversity between the tracks than ever, and costs are finally coming back down for owners. I'm more hopeful for NASCAR now than I have been in 20 years. Now if only they'd end the stage racing and fix the points system, we'd be in great shape.

Outstanding on all counts, KJ! Put 'em on the bullrings and let 'em bang. Now if they were to go back to every race meaning something, and if one driver is running away with it, tough, I wouldn't mind a bit.

The other auto racing situation I'm awaiting with bated breath is my other love NHRA, particularly Nitro Funny Cars. Imho the whole sports got a major wake up call when multiple championship driver John Force decided to opt out the entire John Force Racing team this season. Some said " it's smart business, John knows what's up", while others say "he just killed the sport". We'll see, but John's a smart old bird, I think he was right.

• Like 1

I love what you wrote. The only negative I have is that they tamed the horsepower on the cars years ago as you well know being knowledgeable in the sport. That change alone hurt racing by separating great teams from good and fair teams. The racing has been extremely sterile because the drivers are not as close to the edge of speed vs. control. Some of the changes that have happened (no practice) due to covid have recreated the unknown with the cars until the drivers get comfortable again. If they end stage racing, they just drive around for hundreds of laps with nothing unless a tire blows. It's frustrating to me as I FF every race when the gap between first and second is two seconds and the drivers can't seem to do anything to catch up besides pit strategy or caution.

As you wrote in another post the Roval in the pouring rai was fun! I watched as drivers were on the edge created by hydroplaning much like the horsepower of yesteryear would create. Maybe they race with sprinklers on the track more often? ;)