2020 NASCAR Season thread

blueschica

I'm incredibly glad to see Newman walk away from that crash. The safety crew and ER trauma doctors have done an amazing job.

Unfortunately, not all traumatic injuries end with such a positive outcome. The Red Cross is always in need of fresh blood and platelet donations to help the sick and injured.

Maybe we can turn a near-tragedy into something really positive and save some lives? It doesn't cost a dime, and doesn't hurt more than the tiniest bit. All it really takes is your time- consider donating blood or platelets!

https://www.redcross...html/find-drive

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

I'm incredibly glad to see Newman walk away from that crash. The safety crew and ER trauma doctors have done an amazing job.

Unfortunately, not all traumatic injuries end with such a positive outcome. The Red Cross is always in need of fresh blood and platelet donations to help the sick and injured.

Maybe we can turn a near-tragedy into something really positive and save some lives? It doesn't cost a dime, and doesn't hurt more than the tiniest bit. All it really takes is your time- consider donating blood or platelets!

Shouldn't I be able to sell my blood rather than donating it? I could get a premium during a natural disaster.

Shouldn't I be able to sell my blood rather than donating it? I could get a premium during a natural disaster.

Yes. You should. And in a disaster, that would almost certainly increase the supply for the needy.

I'll just donate though.

• Like 1

Why would someone want to donate blood to an organization when they don't know where it might end up? What if my blood goes to a woman who has some medical issues after an abortion? That's unconscionable.

No. What's unconscionable is subverting a suggestion that people try and do some good, in effort to make an ill-considered and hacky political point.

You need to do some real soul searching.

Oh lighten up Sally. We were just having some fun.

Oh, okay, heh heh. I totally didn't think that was real and prepare an outraged response, nope, I knew it all along . . . so . . . uh . . . good news he's out of the hospital, then!

No. What's unconscionable is subverting a suggestion that people try and do some good, in effort to make an ill-considered and hacky political point.

I've given many pints of blood and will continue to do so. I've searched for my soul and have yet to find it. :AlienSmiley:

Why would someone want to donate blood to an organization when they don't know where it might end up? What if my blood goes to a woman who has some medical issues after an abortion? That's unconscionable.

Oh lighten up Sally. We were just having some fun.

I've given many pints of blood and will continue to do so. I've searched for my soul and have yet to find it. :AlienSmiley:

In between blood donations (and during them even), could you please keep political content confined to SOCN? Thank you.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed quotes
  • Like 2

I am too. Best case scenario, but this may blunt any momentum toward real changes to plate racing.

My better 1/2 & I were at the Daytona 500 last weekend. Sunday sucked! Due to the pandering POTUS it took over 2hrs to get through the gate due to all the extra security. After all the "Pomp and Circumstance" the race was delayed well over an hour. Just when they were gonna start it rained for 3.5 + - minutes. It took over an hour the dry the track. When the race did start they got 20 laps in and it rained again. 2 1/2 hours of track drying, just when the track was 99.9% ready, it rained again... Hard enough for them to postpone the race till 4pm Monday. 4pm? Thanks NASCAR! then when my lady & I went to the info desk to ask for the fastest way to where the busses take you to lot 7 (free parking). The DIS staff sent us all the way to the opposite end of the grandstand, which is every bit of 3/4 of a mile long. We had to walk back a half mile to the place we walked right by (by their directions) in the rain to get to where the busses actually were! We were literally exhausted at this point! Way to tired to drive 128 miles back to Tampa. We found a hotel (only one available that was not a flea bag or $400 for 1 night) about 25 miles west of Daytona. So after crashing out for a few hours. At breakfast we're debating whether to return to Daytona or go home. I already was in like paying $45 a lap at this point. So we decide to call it a loss as we didn't want to endure what we had Sunday. Luckily I & the Mrs. had already took a vaca day for Presidents day. So on the way home (about 15 miles down I-4) I miss my exit! So I have to turn around!! I tell my lady it's a sign and we were heading back to Daytona lol. So Monday waay made up for Sunday. We got to see some great speedway racing and some great wrecks too! The thing I think is cool about attending a NASCAR race is you can bring a cooler with you own beverage (beer and booze) and food as long as the cooler is no larger than 14" x 14" soft sided, no glass and no dry ice. Other than that one can bring anything they want in with them. Also the Daytona International Speedway is the 1st venue I have bought tickets where the upper deck tickets are more expensive than the lower deck tickets! We were in Section 394 by turn one looking straight down pit road exit. Good times!!

Racing back at Darlington May 17th.

Maybe they should go back to the cars with more horsepower. You know, when the racing was actually fun to watch. They will have the largest tv audience in a long time for a short glimpse (if they play follow the leader again). Now is the sports chance. Increase the damn HP for the next race. Lets see which racers actually have the feel of the car.

...Then I woke up

• Like 1

I was so suprised by this-a sanctioning body announcing a return to racing-that I checked other bodies websites regarding starting up:

NHRA: Amalie Gatornationals, Gainesville Raceway, weekend of June 5-7.

Indy Car: Gensys 600, Texas Motor Speedway, June 6

F1: Nothing offical, speculation hints GP of Austria July 5.

Edited by pjbear05

What is NASCAR?

Another secret sub culture with many stories, gatherings, heroes and friendships similar to Rush fans! ;) ;)

Or you might remember "stock car racing" from growing up. It's the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (otherwise known as the France family, who seem to control 99% of it.)

Edited by blueschica

Fox reran the 1994 inaugural Brickyard race at the Indy Speedway last night. What a great finish at the end! Jeff Gordon held off both Rusty Wallace and Ernie Irvan as both of them traded places with him back and forth for 1st and 2nd.

With about 12 laps to go it was a real fight between Gordon and Irvan with both of them trading places many times on the turns. They were soooo close together and yet under control for about 8 laps; it was great clean racing and so fun to watch. With about 5 laps to go, Irvan blew a tire and no one else could catch up with Gordon. It was so much fun to watch.

What is NASCAR?

Another secret sub culture with many stories, gatherings, heroes and friendships similar to Rush fans! ;) ;)

Or you might remember "stock car racing" from growing up. It's the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (otherwise known as the France family, who seem to control 99% of it.)

Earl, I though you were serious! :LOL: :LOL: Did I tell you I lived in Belmont, CA for two years when my dad was transferred? All we did in phys ed was play volleyball so I thought maybe you were serious until I saw your posts in the other threads! Oh well, I try to be helpful.

• Like 2

What is NASCAR?

Earl, I though you were serious! :LOL: :LOL: Did I tell you I lived in Belmont, CA for two years when my dad was transferred? All we did in phys ed was play volleyball so I thought maybe you were serious until I saw your posts in the other threads! Oh well, I try to be helpful.

HAHAHAHA!!!

I got you Becky!!!!

I was bored one night so I wrote "What is...." on most sports threads!!!

Funny I am not a fan of NASCAR but I did like Jeff Gordon. He was a local boy but I know he was a total dick. Cheated on his wife? Scum.

• Like 2

There's going to be actual, live people driving cars, racing tomorrow at Darlington. None of the stupid video game crap.

Hope they all remember no resets tomorrow...
  • Like 1

Yeah, it looks similar to a noose, but it is not a real noose.

It has been there since last October, they say. Perhaps they will find out who tied that knot and get his reasoning for doing it.

NASCAR asked officials at every track to check their garages this week.

Out of 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, only 11 had a garage door pull-down rope tied in a knot, and the only one fashioned in a noose was the one discovered Sunday by a crew member in Wallace’s No. 43 stall.

Did someone tie the rope like that just as a dumb joke? Or was it done specifically to mock or threaten African Americans?

Or was it done for no reason at all? Did the knot-maker simply make it that way without even thinking about it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

NASCAR_TALLADEGA_NOOSE_59219983.JPG?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=1.5&w=964&fit=clip&h=318

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Either way, it was sad it was there for so long before anyone noticed. Glad the crews gave a show of support, that was a powerful picture. Haven't watched racing since Rusty Wallace days but I hope this helps raise awareness of how pervasive this stuff is in our lives not just racing.
  • Like 2