Don Dokken mentions Neil in an interview where he reveals his hands are now paralyzed.

treeduck

When I first heard of Dokken in 1982 via the Kerrang album review of Breaking the Chains I initially thought it was a girl led band because I mistakenly thought the lead singer was called Dawn Dokken. :eh:

Well, you weren't completely wrong about him being a girl. Just look at the lyrics to Alone Again lol.

Perhaps Gilbert O'Sullivan and Harry Nilsson had a love child and called him Donald ..... :o

I honestly have no clue who either of those people are and had to look them up. Still have no clue after looking lol. I've probably heard songs from them before but couldn't tell you unless I was listening to it.

Alone Again, Naturally - Gilbert O'Sullivan

All By Myself - Harry Nilsson

I suggest that you avoid listening to the songs.... :laughing guy:

Wasn't All By Myself (the famous one) Eric Carmen? I see Harry sung it too.

• Like 2

1581284564[/url'>' post='4727036']
1581281008' post='4727025']
1581280621[/url'>' post='4727018']
1581280190' post='4727012']
1581279592[/url'>' post='4727004']
1581276761' post='4726996']

When I first heard of Dokken in 1982 via the Kerrang album review of Breaking the Chains I initially thought it was a girl led band because I mistakenly thought the lead singer was called Dawn Dokken. :eh:

Well, you weren't completely wrong about him being a girl. Just look at the lyrics to Alone Again lol.

Perhaps Gilbert O'Sullivan and Harry Nilsson had a love child and called him Donald ..... :o

I honestly have no clue who either of those people are and had to look them up. Still have no clue after looking lol. I've probably heard songs from them before but couldn't tell you unless I was listening to it.

You are correct, sir! I was thinking of Nilsson’s “Without You”. :ebert:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Naturally!

• Like 1

You are correct, sir! I was thinking of Nilsson’s “Without You”. :ebert:

Thanks - now I'll have both stuck in my head. hahahahahaaaa

Those songs are fine.

Sorry, after my recent Rush binge, my musical snobbery is at a pretty high level still lol.

I first read that as Eric Cartman....

I really like that one. Lynch is a beast on that. :guitar:

I've got nothing against George's playing on it. The lyrics are just wussy pop garbage.

I hardly consider lyrics in music. Lyrics are just like the sprinkles on the cake for me, not even the icing or the cream never mind the cake. I hear lyrics but I don't hear them. It's probably why death metal vocals never bothered me, vocals are just another instrument to my ears, an effect. Lyrics are just a necessary tool. I mean you have to sing something don't you?

As for Mr Neil Peart and his lyrics, I prefer to think of him as the man who came up with the themes and concepts for all the albums, the album titles, the song titles, the lyrics were just the nuts and bolts in that whole machine. The themes, concepts, ideas, even the titles are more important to me than the actual lyrics.

I've got nothing against George's playing on it. The lyrics are just wussy pop garbage.

I hardly consider lyrics in music. Lyrics are just like the sprinkles on the cake for me, not even the icing or the cream never mind the cake. I hear lyrics but I don't hear them. It's probably why death metal vocals never bothered me, vocals are just another instrument to my ears, an effect. Lyrics are just a necessary tool. I mean you have to sing something don't you?

As for Mr Neil Peart and his lyrics, I prefer to think of him as the man who came up with the themes and concepts for all the albums, the album titles, the song titles, the lyrics were just the nuts and bolts in that whole machine. The themes, concepts, ideas, even the titles are more important to me than the actual lyrics.

Lyrics carry a lot of weight with me. Cheese is still cheese no matter how inspiring the music behind it.

I mean, take one of the worst songs ever (imo), the horrendous 1982 "I've Never Been To Me". The only way that song would ever be good enough to listen to would be if Warren Zevon or Frank Zappa did a really ironic arrangement/vocal, and they're both dead so....

A more recent example: "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight". That is one of the dumbest, sappiest, most treacly songs ever. I know 10 year olds who could write better. Sure, it has hairy metal behind it, but that cannot conceal the fact that it's a steaming pile of yak poo.

• Like 3

Lyrics carry a lot of weight with me. Cheese is still cheese no matter how inspiring the music behind it.

I mean, take one of the worst songs ever (imo), the horrendous 1982 "I've Never Been To Me". The only way that song would ever be good enough to listen to would be if Warren Zevon or Frank Zappa did a really ironic arrangement/vocal, and they're both dead so....

A more recent example: "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight". That is one of the dumbest, sappiest, most treacly songs ever. I know 10 year olds who could write better. Sure, it has hairy metal behind it, but that cannot conceal the fact that it's a steaming pile of yak poo.

Well yeah some songs are beyond saving no matter what.

• Like 1

Yet both became hits. The latter was even deemed worthy of inclusion on the local "classic" rock station's rotation. Go figure.

Yet both became hits. The latter was even deemed worthy of inclusion on the local "classic" rock station's rotation. Go figure.

These days people seem to love crap more than ever, whether it's films, TV, music, books or whatever.

I agree that lyrics are very important and that really bad lyrics can sink a song quickly. But I will say that I think good music can redeem bad lyrics much more easily than good lyrics can redeem bad music.

• Like 1

I agree that lyrics are very important and that really bad lyrics can sink a song quickly. But I will say that I think good music can redeem bad lyrics much more easily than good lyrics can redeem bad music.

Looking at the main page just now, because of your avatar, I thought several people were posting in this thread one after the other super-fast... :o

No surprise he didn't "get" Neil's lyrics.

"Dokken! You sukken! Get off the stagen, you slobben; get a jobben, Dokken!"

Hahahahaha! Mara! You kill me! Are we related by wacky wit? LOL Sunken and jobben with DOKKEN!

I prefer ROKKEN WITH DOKKEN but I get it. Don should just shut up!

Signed,

UNDER "LOCK AND KEY" :)

Lynch Rules.

Pat, do you know Lynch Mob is opening for Dokken then George is going to come out and do the encore with Dokken.

• Like 1

Lynch Rules.

Pat, do you know Lynch Mob is opening for Dokken then George is going to come out and do the encore with Dokken.

Yeah but how can Don hold a microphone with is frozen hands? He said in that interview he can't even dress himself or feed himself, he said he can't even wipe his own ass! Maybe George will be chief ass-wiper on the tour??

Lynch Rules.

Yeah but how can Don hold a microphone with is frozen hands? He said in that interview he can't even dress himself or feed himself, he said he can't even wipe his own ass! Maybe George will be chief ass-wiper on the tour??

Jesus Pat, I didn't know that. Don should just hang it up. Honestly I don't know how Vince Neil and Mick Mars are going to get through this stadium tour.........

• Like 1

Lynch Rules.

Jesus Pat, I didn't know that. Don should just hang it up. Honestly I don't know how Vince Neil and Mick Mars are going to get through this stadium tour.........

The interview video got taken down so you can't hear it now but here's some of the info:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/don-dokken-says-his-recent-spine-surgery-left-him-unable-to-play-guitar/

He said (hear audio below): "It's been two and a half months since I had spine surgery, and my hands are dead. They don't move. It's very strange.

"It's an interesting way to live your life. You've gotta learn how to feed yourself, wipe your butt, brush your teeth, dress yourself. [it takes] 20 minutes to put socks on, 'cause one of my hands works a little bit, but not very much.

"I'm hoping — I'm trying to stay positive — that maybe some miracle will happen and slowly the nerves will reconnect and my hands will start working again," he continued. "Or you're gonna hear about me in the newspaper, 'cause I'm gonna go to the [surgeon's] office and I'm gonna go over to the desk and I'm gonna pummel his face. And I'm serious. That guy f***ed up. He was supposed to be the best of the best.

"After they put me under, I said two things: 'Don't kill me. 'Don't paralyze me.' That's what I said. I swear to God. And he's, like, 'That's why you came to me. I'm the best.' So I wake up in the hospital, and I'm, like, 'How come my hands don't move?' 'How come my fingers don't move?' 'How come my hands are on fire?' 'How come I can barely walk? I'm on a walker. What the f**k did you do, man?' And he goes, 'Well, it happens sometimes.' I love it when surgeons go, 'Well, shit happens. It only happens in one of a thousand surgeries.' So I'm Mr. One Thousand, apparently. So, I'm not happy about it."

At the time of the interview, Don said that he still needed to "figure out what to do" once he goes on tour with DOKKEN starting in March. "Obviously, I can't dress myself," he explained. "I can't get my clothes on. I can't feed myself — I really can't. So I'm trying to find someone to go on tour with me to basically babysit me. At least I can sing. My voice feels great. I just can't hold a microphone.'"

According to Don, he is doing "physical therapy four days a week — on a bike, and I'm pedaling my ass off, building up my leg strength, building up my arms… What's left of my arms — my arms are completely atrophied.

"I don't know what's gonna happen with my whole hands situation," he said. "They're still paralyzed. So I think my guitar-playing days are obviously over. But that's okay. I got 50 years to play guitar."

He went on to describe his health status as "very depressing." He explained: "I got these special forks and a special spoon that you slip a band over your wrist and it holds the fork in place. I'm eating like a three-year-old… [but] I'm hoping for the best. And that's why I pushed the tour back to March. That gives me four more months to get something going on. 'Cause I don't know what to do. I can't play guitar. That's off the plate — that's not gonna happen again, I don't think. They said I'll maybe get 30 percent back. But the thing is, what do you do when you're on the road? How do I put a seat belt on a plane? How do I dress myself? How do I put my shoes on? How do I put my shirt on? All that shit I can't do right now, and it really sucks. So I'm thinking maybe getting a personal assistant to go on the road and basically dress me and get me ready and stick the mic in my hand and I'll go on stage and do the best I can."

These days people seem to love crap more than ever, whether it's films, TV, music, books or whatever.

Crap, yes! But sometimes people love crap.

Hahahahaha! Mara! You kill me! Are we related by wacky wit? LOL Sunken and jobben with DOKKEN!

Signed,

I can't take credit for that quip, which is why it's in quotes. It was some random comedian in (I think) 1990; obviously the guy never hit the big time but his bit about attending a Dokken concert lives on.

"You love us so much....you wouldn't let us leave until we play another song! You wouldn't let us leave!"

"Yeah, yeah, shut up, loser, you wouldn't turn the goddamn lights back on."

• Like 1

Signed,

I can't take credit for that quip, which is why it's in quotes. It was some random comedian in (I think) 1990; obviously the guy never hit the big time but his bit about attending a Dokken concert lives on.

"You love us so much....you wouldn't let us leave until we play another song! You wouldn't let us leave!"

"Yeah, yeah, shut up, loser, you wouldn't turn the goddamn lights back on."

Hahaha! That is awesome!

What do you think about Ice Ice Baby lyrics hiding behind the tune of Limelight? :smoke:

What do you think about Ice Ice Baby lyrics hiding behind the tune of Limelight? :smoke:

It could be metal!