Permanent Waves Boxset to be released on March 27

bscsmkr

PS: I already know that MP40 is going to be not much better than MP30.

How could it be with this fracking mismanagement and misunderstanding of the audience.

I mean honetly, the Rush debacle starting with HEM40 is almost worse than Disney f***ing up the Star Wars sequels. But at least I can fly down to Florida and pretend to fly the Milllenium Falcon.

But we'll never hear an official release of a full MP or PeW Rush show.

I bet Ole bypasses ESL40 on purpose, on that point alone.

Edited by grep

With the track list posted, I will be getting some version of this. To me this is the minimum of what they could release that makes it acceptable.

Honestly, unless there's a download subscription thing in the works, I'm baffled as to why they wouldn't release a complete live set or even multiple shows. I had always hoped for all three nights at Massey Hall in 1976 to be released like Deep Purple did with the Japanese shows in 1972. Rush has as dedicated a fan base as any, to not release numerous multi-track recordings and soundboards is perplexing.

Edited by taurus
  • Like 3

This is NOT worth the money that they are charging. My god for similar money check out other bands boxsets and what they include. yes they could make it right by providing a site exclusively for downloads of live concerts and videos. But yes secure everything Rush has ever done. Reach out to Rush fans and collectors. Create a great archival department digging into every rumor and getting it out there for fans.What a disservice.
  • Like 1

1interesting to break this down a bit. The bonus disc (and bonus material released on the 2112 35th Anniversary set, as well as a "Guitar Hero" track) indicates that AT LEAST one show exists from each of the following:

- Manchester

- London

- St Louis (with "Jacob's Ladder" answering the long-standing question as to whether more exists beyond the commonly-bootlegged FM show)

….and from E...SL:

- Glasgow

This means that there are at least four, and possibly as many as 7 or 8 full 1980 shows in the archive. THAT would make an outstanding box set, along the lines of what Yes did with "Progeny" a few years ago, or what the Grateful Dead release a couple times a year.

I REALLY hope it happens, but I just don't see it, especially in the short term.

I'm actually OK with this release. I want every single McGee master on CD anyway and for the last three years I've been expecting 80 minutes of St.Louis.

Is it perfect? No. But I'm very cool with buying another 2 CD set. when the bonus disc is totally previously unreleased. Between St. Louis and the bonus disc you've got a pretty sweet performance of the Permanent Waves set. (Bummed about A Passage To Bangkok being a vinyl exclusive but I think that version is on the 2012 2112 Deluxe so at least I have that on CD too.

I'm almost (dare I say it) excited about this one. I think it's already the best of the four that have been released so far and I've not even heard it yet.

PS: I already know that MP40 is going to be not much better than MP30.

How could it be with this fracking mismanagement and misunderstanding of the audience.

I mean honetly, the Rush debacle starting with HEM40 is almost worse than Disney f***ing up the Star Wars sequels. But at least I can fly down to Florida and pretend to fly the Milllenium Falcon.

But we'll never hear an official release of a full MP or PeW Rush show.

I bet Ole bypasses ESL40 on purpose, on that point alone.

Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left will be combined.

This is NOT worth the money that they are charging. My god for similar money check out other bands boxsets and what they include. yes they could make it right by providing a site exclusively for downloads of live concerts and videos. But yes secure everything Rush has ever done. Reach out to Rush fans and collectors. Create a great archival department digging into every rumor and getting it out there for fans.What a disservice.

It's worth about $20 to me which is what I'll be paying for it.

I was at both nights of the Manchester gigs and Hemispheres was a train wreck in the ‘Armageddon’ section because Lifeson’s Roland Guitar Synth refused to behave.

The Spirit of Radio track that is currently available sounds great.

• Like 3

Listed on amazon

https://www.amazon.c...ush pwrm&sr=8-5

Changed the cover artwork

These releases by the shitty label that took over is doing nothing but a disservice to Rush fans

Shit they don’t even include the drum solo in honor of Neil

I can’t believe no full show when they obviously have it and multiple nights

This release was a true test to how they could make things right by releasing an amazingly huge boxset filled with stuff we’ve been clamoring for for decades

Geez

God that cover sucks.

That’s putting it mildly. Looks like it was a spur of the moment joke.

Is it really possible that a sound board recording of a complete show from PeW does not exist? That seems very hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible that no high-enough quality recording exists beyond the listed live tracks.

I was at both nights of the Manchester gigs and Hemispheres was a train wreck in the ‘Armageddon’ section because Lifeson’s Roland Guitar Synth refused to behave.

Is that what I hear on the bootlegs? Is he using the synth to harmonize? Or is it for the lighting and keyboard swells? I never could figure it out.

Is that what I hear on the bootlegs? Is he using the synth to harmonize? Or is it for the lighting and keyboard swells? I never could figure it out.

He was using it for the ‘battle’ sounds but it wasn’t playing ball. They were notoriously flakey.

I remember him looking frantically at his roadie.

• Like 2

Is it really possible that a sound board recording of a complete show from PeW does not exist? That seems very hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible that no high-enough quality recording exists beyond the listed live tracks.

According to recent comments by Terry Brown they only taped songs that hadn't been previously released on All The World's A Stage, hence why the start and end of the shows are missing.

• Like 1

1interesting to break this down a bit. The bonus disc (and bonus material released on the 2112 35th Anniversary set, as well as a "Guitar Hero" track) indicates that AT LEAST one show exists from each of the following:

- Manchester

- London

- St Louis (with "Jacob's Ladder" answering the long-standing question as to whether more exists beyond the commonly-bootlegged FM show)

….and from E...SL:

- Glasgow

This means that there are at least four, and possibly as many as 7 or 8 full 1980 shows in the archive. THAT would make an outstanding box set, along the lines of what Yes did with "Progeny" a few years ago, or what the Grateful Dead release a couple times a year.

I REALLY hope it happens, but I just don't see it, especially in the short term.

I'm actually OK with this release. I want every single McGee master on CD anyway and for the last three years I've been expecting 80 minutes of St.Louis.

Is it perfect? No. But I'm very cool with buying another 2 CD set. when the bonus disc is totally previously unreleased. Between St. Louis and the bonus disc you've got a pretty sweet performance of the Permanent Waves set. (Bummed about A Passage To Bangkok being a vinyl exclusive but I think that version is on the 2012 2112 Deluxe so at least I have that on CD too.

I'm almost (dare I say it) excited about this one. I think it's already the best of the four that have been released so far and I've not even heard it yet.

Count me in for the CD. $20 is better for this than the $70 for the vinyl.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to this, having assumed (wrongly) that they would just release the St. Louis radio show again.

Although it's only 80 minutes or so of new music, it will mean we can make up a couple of potentially very cool new compilations:

First, a full 1980 set in official release quality (all tracks from new PeW set except where shown)

1. 2112 - from St. Louis pre-FM

2. Freewill

3. By-Tor & The Snow Dog

4. Xanadu

5. The Spirit of Radio

6. Natural Science

7. A Passage to Bangkok

8. The Trees

9. Cygnus X-1

10. Hemispheres

11. Closer to the Heart

12. Beneath, Between & Behind

13. Jacob's Ladder

14. Archives Medley (Working Man/Finding My Way/Anthem/Bastille Day/Drum Solo) - from St. Louis pre-FM

15. La Villa Strangiato - from St. Louis pre-FM

Secondly, an expanded ESL, which should sound great (and isn't really cheating, as some of the existing ESL tracks are from the 1980 UK tour):

1. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx (Edmonton 1981 from 2112 40th anniversary)

2. Freewill (ESL)

3. Limelight (ESL DVD)

4. Jacob's Ladder (ESL)

5. A Passage to Bangkok (ESL)

6. YYZ (ESL)

7. Broon's Bane (ESL)

8. The Trees (ESL)

9. Xanadu (ESL)

10. The Spirit of Radio (ESL)

11. Red Barchetta (ESL)

12. Cygnus X-1 (PeW 40)

13. Hemispheres (PeW 40)

14. Closer to the Heart (ESL)

15. Beneath, Between & Behind (ESL)

16. Tom Sawyer (ESL)

17. Vital Signs (Live B-Side of New World Man)

18. Natural Science (PeW 40)

19. Medley: By-Tor & The Snow Dog/In The End/In The Mood/2112 Finale (ESL DVD)

20 La Villa Strangiato (ESL)

This set comes in at about 2 hours 15 minutes, and could well be the "full show" that ESL should have been if they'd had CDs back in 1981!

Edited by Tim Sawyer
  • Like 3

I think that’s an idea that most of us will do

Someone with special skills will most likely create something great

The only difficult part would be finding the right sources that are all relative and close in sound

Like the bonus tracks on the 2112 release or the St Louis boot don’t sound anything like the over polished ESL

Still will be nice though

And Terry Brown weighed in but not sure he understood because his answer definitely doesn’t answer

(Bummed about A Passage To Bangkok being a vinyl exclusive but I think that version is on the 2012 2112 Deluxe so at least I have that on CD too.

It's on Exit Stage Left too.

Same performance?

No idea. I'm not a completist though so one live version from that era is enough for me.

The decisions being made with these boxsets are truly bizarre. We know for a fact that there are plenty of soundboard recordings in the archive, why are they releasing handfuls of songs rather than complete shows? Just give me a whole show, unedited. That's all I want. Instead they're putting out these insane boxes which are mostly artwork and charging insane prices for them. It's the music that matters, give me THAT. I'm not paying $180 for someone's reimagining of PeW's cover art.

I'll likely buy the CD version of this, just so I have a digital version of Sean Magee's remaster. I don't feel the need to get anything beyond that.

• Like 1

The new PW 40 release may be delayed until June ??!!?? A friend in another group just got an email from Amazon.co.uk .

"Unfortunately the release date was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date. Rush "Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary (Super Deluxe) [VINYL] Estimated arrival date: June 02 2020."

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Edited by blueschica

The new PW 40 release may be delayed until June ??!!?? A friend in another group just got an email from Amazon.co.uk .

"Unfortunately the release date was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date. Rush "Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary (Super Deluxe) [VINYL] Estimated arrival date: June 02 2020."

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Amazon UK says 29th May. I`ll buy it of course, PW is ridiculously perfect, but I am baffled by that cover...
  • Like 2