Permanent Waves Boxset to be released on March 27

bscsmkr

Thi$ guy will be getting it anyway, haha.

I have not bought the AFTK or Hemispheres sets, so I figure I’m due.

Permanent Waves was the first ‘new’ Rush album, when I first became a fan...so yeah.

• Like 1

I think they are missing the mark horribly with these

They should have been like the Metallica box sets

They dropped the ball this entire time with all these

We know they have full PEW shows as songs have been released like 2112 and Passage on the 2112

So disappointing if true

• Like 2

I will not judge until more official information come forth but a rerelease of the St. Louis show without the missing material is unacceptable. I took a pass on the Hemispheres set for obvious reasons, bought the debut 40th, the 2112 40th (even the blue vinyl re-issue), the AFTK 40th. Got all the vinyl re-issues up to HYF but if I don't get a complete PeW show and then a complete MP show next year - I'm out.

Again -- "if true" is the word -- this seems . . . . underwhelming. I know the guys were perfectionists about the shows, but with so much stuff out there, why such reluctance? It's their legacy and their music, but why not fan service now? Who's it going to hurt? Sales on future releases? Of course not: depending on what they released (the full St. Louis, the Glasgow, etc.), it would _more_ likely encourage further fan binges.

Metallica, Pearl Jam, [insert jam band name here] all understand many fans like live shows, warts and all. Sure, we're not talking gold record sales here, but if people buy/download 50K copies of something they've already got, surely that makes some money for the band, the label, etc.?

I dunno. I'll wait and see, and probably buy it, and probably play it once or twice, and then it goes on the shelf.

Is it Ole that owns the catalog?

Regardless of who owns it, Rush the entity, don’t. They sold this portion of their licensing. If the band had unreleased tracks in their possession, then Ole would have to pay for them. Since

the deal is already done, it’s doubtful anything newly unearthed would come from the band itself.

Not the case with Genesis or say, Zeppelin, who still curate their box sets and archived releases.

In the case of 2112’s live takes from 1980, perhaps that was released before the Ole deal.

Edited by chemistry1973

In the case of 2112’s live takes from 1980, perhaps that was released before the Ole deal.

The Ole deal was signed in 2014.

2112 40th release was in 2016.

The 2112 Deluxe Edition was released in 2012– this was the first release to include those live cuts from 1980. Same tracks are on the separate 40th anniversary edition from 2016.

• Like 1

According to RIAB the live CD contains the following...

1. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live in Manchester) 

2. By-Tor & The Snow Dog (Live in London)

3. Xanadu (Live in London)

4. The Spirit Of Radio (Live in Manchester) 

5. Natural Science (Live in Manchester) 

6. The Trees (Live in Manchester)

7. Cygnus X-1 (Live in London) 

8. Cygnus X-1 Book II (Live in London)

9. Closer To The Heart (Live in Manchester)

10. Jacob's Ladder (Live in Missouri) 

11. Freewill (Live in London)

• Like 4

Definitely disappointed that the record company CHOSE NOT to release a full show from the 1980 PEW tour I guess the bright spot is that between this new release, the St. Louis boot, and 2112 special edition we will be able to make a complete and great concert
  • Like 1

Definitely disappointed that the record company CHOSE NOT to release a full show from the 1980 PEW tour I guess the bright spot is that between this new release, the St. Louis boot, and 2112 special edition we will be able to make a complete and great concert

That's all I require - this will be purchased and it will be mine

All I need for the MP set next year:

- TCE

- Prelude

- BB&B

- NS

- Working Man/Armageddon

• Like 1

I was viewing this 2002 special from MuchMusic Canada titled Rush - The Story So Far. 1968-2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TwUp-TP350

The nearly one hour special is comprised of an interview from May 2002 (when Vapor Trails was released).

As well, the recent interview is intertwined with interview footage from other periods in the band's career with Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

Besides film from Exit..Stage Left, A Show Of Hands, and band videos, there's also the following snippets of concert footage.

Hamilton, ON - 1979

Buffalo, NY - 1980

Toronto, ON - 1980

Halifax, NS - 1987

Detroit, MI - 1991

Then there's brief footage of a Neil Peart interview posted recently by CBC from 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3IBhYGohQ

One of the YouTube users made the following comment:

"I wish there was more of this interview! Sounds like it was prematurely cut off."

CBC replied with the comment: "The remainder of the archive is largely concert footage, which we don't have the rights to distribute, unfortunately."

Why can't RUSH's management and the record label acquire the rights from these television networks to utilize the above mentioned concert footage for these anniversary box sets?

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

>>Why can't RUSH's management and the record label acquire the rights from these television networks to utilize the above mentioned concert footage for these anniversary box sets?

My opinion: I think Ole, and the ban's philosophy in general over the years has been to maximize profit with minimal investment. I'm afraid we'll see more of these 'less than they could have been' because of that philosophy. " Just put something out there, whoever buys it buys it. "

• Like 3

>>Why can't RUSH's management and the record label acquire the rights from these television networks to utilize the above mentioned concert footage for these anniversary box sets?

My opinion: I think Ole, and the ban's philosophy in general over the years has been to maximize profit with minimal investment. I'm afraid we'll see more of these 'less than they could have been' because of that philosophy. " Just put something out there, whoever buys it buys it. "

Well Said!

Minimize risk of loss, and let the suckers pay for packaging.

Listed on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Waves-40th-Anniversary-Rush/dp/B084GXS8V4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=rush+permanent+waves+40th+anniversary&qid=1581485509&sprefix=rush+pwrm&sr=8-5

Changed the cover artwork

These releases by the shitty label that took over is doing nothing but a disservice to Rush fans

Shit they don’t even include the drum solo in honor of Neil

I can’t believe no full show when they obviously have it and multiple nights

This release was a true test to how they could make things right by releasing an amazingly huge boxset filled with stuff we’ve been clamoring for for decades

Geez

• Like 2