Wow. RIP, Kirk. I always enjoyed his films, especially Spartacus,and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Did you ever see The Vikings Becky? It also features Ernest Borgnine, Tony Curtis and Janet Lee. Also Gunfight at the OK Corrall is a classic which also features Burt Lancaster.

• Like 2

I still get choked up while watching the final scene of Spartacus. Varinia, with their newly-freed son, begging him to die so he wouldn't have to suffer so much.

Douglas and Jean Simmons were beyond brilliant.

spartacus.jpg?w=660&h=301

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

I remember going to the cinema to watch Tough Guys with Kirk and Burt Lancaster in 1986. They play a couple of old bank robbers who finally get released from jail and they decide to pull one last job. Kirk looked pretty old even then and If someone had told me that he would outlive Neil by 1 month I wouldn't have even entertained the idea.
  • Like 3

I remember going to the cinema to watch Tough Guys with Kirk and Burt Lancaster in 1986. They play a couple of old bank robbers who finally get released from jail and they decide to pull one last job. Kirk looked pretty old even then and If someone had told me that he would outlive Neil by 1 month I wouldn't have even entertained the idea.

He nearly outlived his son when he had surgery for throat cancer a decade ago.

• Like 1

Is Olivia Dr Haviland the last one left?

She's the last star of the Golden Era left alive yes. She'll be 104 in July.

Gene Hackman turned 90 last week. Such a pity his last movie will likely be Mooseport.

Yeah, I think he just lost interest and wasn't getting offered good enough roles by that point.

Clint will be 90 in a few months too.

Wow. RIP, Kirk. I always enjoyed his films, especially Spartacus,and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Did you ever see The Vikings Becky? It also features Ernest Borgnine, Tony Curtis and Janet Lee. Also Gunfight at the OK Corrall is a classic which also features Burt Lancaster.

I've never seen either of them! I'll have to look for them. My mom was a big fan of Lust for Life so we used to catch that on the afternoon movie a lot.

• Like 2

I've never seen either of them! I'll have to look for them. My mom was a big fan of Lust for Life so we used to catch that on the afternoon movie a lot.

Oh yeah you need to see those they're classics!

Also Lust For Life where he plays Vincent Van Gogh, Anthony Quinn is in that one too. There's another Kirk-Quinn one too Last Train From Gun Hill. Also you need to see The War Wagon which features John Wayne, Kirk had to wear lifts and do all sorts to measure up to the Duke physically. You also need to see Man Without a Star. A lot of these are westerns which he suited. You also need to see Lonely are the Brave, The Fury, Light at the Edge of the World (with Yul Brynner), Tough Guys, Seven Days in May, The Heroes of Telemark (with Richard Harris), Out of the Past (with Robert Mitchum), The Way West (with Mitchum and Richard Widmark), The Big Trees, Saturn 3 (with Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel), Cast a Giant Shadow with Yul Brynner and James Donald [who is also in The Vikings]), and There Was a Crooked Man (with Henry Fonda and Warren Oates).

• Like 3

Also Lust For Life where he plays Vincent Van Gogh, Anthony Quinn is in that one too. There's another Kirk-Quinn one too Last Train From Gun Hill. Also you need to see The War Wagon which features John Wayne, Kirk had to wear lifts and do all sorts to measure up to the Duke physically. You also need to see Man Without a Star. A lot of these are westerns which he suited. You also need to see Lonely are the Brave, The Fury, Light at the Edge of the World (with Yul Brynner), Tough Guys, Seven Days in May, The Heroes of Telemark (with Richard Harris), Out of the Past (with Robert Mitchum), The Way West (with Mitchum and Richard Widmark), The Big Trees, Saturn 3 (with Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel), Cast a Giant Shadow with Yul Brynner and James Donald [who is also in The Vikings]), and There Was a Crooked Man (with Henry Fonda and Warren Oates).

I love the suggestions- I'll be busy! :LOL:

• Like 1

I just saw There Was A Crooked Man again not too long ago. It was a fav from my childhood.
  • Like 2

There's even more, like Paths of Glory, which is another Stanley Kubrick directed one and The Bad and the Beautiful, Ulysses another one with Anthony Quinn and Detective Story which features Lee Grant. There's even a film Young Man with a Horn where the actress ended up dying mysteriously for real and Kirk had to talk to the police, that's not in the film!

• Like 2

There's even more, like Paths of Glory, which is another Stanley Kubrick directed one and The Bad and the Beautiful, Ulysses another one with Anthony Quinn and Detective Story which features Lee Grant. There's even a film Young Man with a Horn where the actress ended up dying mysteriously for real and Kirk had to talk to the police, that's not in the film!

Young Man With A Horn is one I have seen! It is based on the life of a real guy, Bix Beiderbecke. We used to live in Indiana, in this little town, Richmond. It had one of the U.S. first recording studios and Bix made some of his first records there. The record factory is abandoned and all falling apart now, sadly. They are trying to turn it into some kind of museum.

They even used to do Mercury pressings there in the 70's, including some of ATWAS! I keep meaning to buy one and then I forget, lol. I didn't know an actress died on that film; it sounds like a haunted movie.

• Like 2

Young Man With A Horn is one I have seen! It is based on the life of a real guy, Bix Beiderbecke. We used to live in Indiana, in this little town, Richmond. It had one of the U.S. first recording studios and Bix made some of his first records there. The record factory is abandoned and all falling apart now, sadly. They are trying to turn it into some kind of museum.

They even used to do Mercury pressings there in the 70's, including some of ATWAS! I keep meaning to buy one and then I forget, lol. I didn't know an actress died on that film; it sounds like a haunted movie.

Aye there's many stories in the life and career of Kirk!

I watched a TV show called The Beiderbecke Affair back in the 80's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts7OcKlI67Y

• Like 1

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6546006_f260.jpg

I saw this film with Ma and Pa in a drive-in theater, when I was a kid. It was the first of a double feature. We didn't know what it was about.

It was NOT for kids. It was a brutal film, featuring Douglas as Denton, a lighthouse keeper, who is attacked by wreckers (led by Yul Brynner). Denton's crew is slaughtered, and he barely escapes and goes into hiding. The sadistic pirates take over the lighthouse and wreck a ship. The leader, Kongre (Brynner) takes a survivor, Arabella (Samantha Eggar) as his sex slave.

All Hell breaks loose when Denton's plan to kill the pirates is discovered. Kongre gives Arabella to his men to be gang raped and killed, and after the final battle, Denton and Kongre are the only ones alive....in a standoff.

The film was a flop, and its brutal nature received much criticism. I've never forgotten this film, probably because it was the first "adult film" I ever saw.