A songwriter's Thought

vitalsigns318

As a songwriter- writing what I want to write can be difficult...however, writing what I am inspired to write is a walk in the park

There is a quote from Neil Young somewhere, I think when he was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters' Hall of Fame. He said his songs were always like wild rabbits- he had to kind of circle them and then sneak up quietly to catch 'em. I hope you get lots of inspiration if that process is easier for you! :)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

As a songwriter- writing what I want to write can be difficult...however, writing what I am inspired to write is a walk in the park

There is a quote from Neil Young somewhere, I think when he was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters' Hall of Fame. He said his songs were always like wild rabbits- he had to kind of circle them and then sneak up quietly to catch 'em. I hope you get lots of inspiration if that process is easier for you! :)

I get inspired at the most inconvenient times, for example, when I am about to fall asleep. I wrote a song about it, because it would not let me go. I know that Keith Richards woke up in the middle of the night and recorded the riff to Satisfaction on a home recorder. Where would the Stones be without that song? Inspiration comes from above and I am glad that it chooses me as a vessel.

• Like 3

I get inspired at the most inconvenient times, for example, when I am about to fall asleep. I wrote a song about it, because it would not let me go. I know that Keith Richards woke up in the middle of the night and recorded the riff to Satisfaction on a home recorder. Where would the Stones be without that song? Inspiration comes from above and I am glad that it chooses me as a vessel.

I’ve had that same experience, too, when you feel compelled to get up and quickly write something down or it’ll be lost forever.

It’s been a long time since I had that kind of inspiration. But I have had it.

• Like 1

Any time I can, I always write down a draft of what lyrics are forming in my head, even if it's just a couple words, so I can build off later. But I can relate very much to thinking of good lyrics at the most inconvenient times.
  • Like 1

Any time I can, I always write down a draft of what lyrics are forming in my head, even if it's just a couple words, so I can build off later. But I can relate very much to thinking of good lyrics at the most inconvenient times.

It happens with all creative people. My husband and I watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas" last night. It was about how Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol", he was driven mad by the characters in his book. At one point in the movie, Charles Dicken said, "I need to get some fresh air alone, after all I am the author." The Scrooge character replied, "Allegedly." Do we write the songs or are they divinely inspired?

• Like 1