Rush Limbaugh has cancer

chemistry1973

It's, I guess, somewhat ironic, since Rush has been tangentially connected to our favorite band for a few reasons.

I'm not a fan.

But I grew up with this dude on my radio, because my parents were, and are, big fans. Bravado was intro music on occasion. Sometimes the show was pretty damn funny, even for an anti-war, political cynic like myself.

So I find myself a little sad for the man.

Thoughts?

Not a Limbaugh fan, particularly, but he's been through a lot. He lost his hearing completely about 20 years ago. He got cochlear implants but those are a poor replacement - he has to have a computer translate calls for his show to closed-caption.

Love him or hate him, he did revolutionize talk radio. I hope he doesn't suffer too much.

• Like 2

If I am driving about and he is on I am listening. Whether you like him or not much like Howard Stern at least he's an original. They both did the hard work necessary to get to the top. I wish him the best...

Extreme political commentators, on both sides, have dumbed down debate for critical topics in this country. I have no use for people when you know what they will say before they say it. The less of them, the better.
  • Like 6

I will say not a fan and i'm sorry he's going through this. but he and A LOT of other people on both sides have helped DESTROY the discourse in this country.

he ain't the only one but he for sure was never a help.

But again.....cancer is awful so..

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

honestly yea. Rush is bad. but Change the name to someone like Sean Hannity and i can't even pretend to muster a little bit of sadness

actually i feel sorry for rush but i can't say sadness is in my heart.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

This is a man who has never harmed anyone. His only 'crime' is speaking his mind.

And the reaction is "He's lowered the quality of discourse, he deserves this." The irony is stunning.

I hope Rush can defy the odds and beat this thing- for the legions of fans he's entertained for decades, for the people his empire has employed, for the kids with cancer he's donated millions to over the years, for the military families he helps support, for the ideals he champions, and for the shallow haters he exposes. I hope he keeps at his mission for years to come.

• Like 5

This is a man who has never harmed anyone. His only 'crime' is speaking his mind.

And the reaction is "He's lowered the quality of discourse, he deserves this." The irony is stunning.

I hope Rush can defy the odds and beat this thing- for the legions of fans he's entertained for decades, for the people his empire has employed, for the kids with cancer he's donated millions to over the years, for the military families he helps support, for the ideals he champions, and for the shallow haters he exposes. I hope he keeps at his mission for years to come.

This^^^^ and I'll just leave it at that...
  • Like 3

I used to listen to him back in the early 90s. I can't recall the last time I did. Frankly, I preferred some of the guest hosts to his program.

That said, I suspect everyone knows someone who has battled cancer. It might win quickly, it might win slowly, and some (but not many) people do beat it. In all but the smallest number of cases, it nonetheless puts a person through hell. I like 99.99% of the people who post regularly on this site. I simply won't believe that there is ANYONE in that majority who truly thinks that ANYONE who isn't a murderer or the like deserves to be diagnosed with cancer.

I used to listen to him back in the early 90s. I can't recall the last time I did. Frankly, I preferred some of the guest hosts to his program.

That said, I suspect everyone knows someone who has battled cancer. It might win quickly, it might win slowly, and some (but not many) people do beat it. In all but the smallest number of cases, it nonetheless puts a person through hell. I like 99.99% of the people who post regularly on this site. I simply won't believe that there is ANYONE in that majority who truly thinks that ANYONE who isn't a murderer or the like deserves to be diagnosed with cancer.

Interesting I started listening from time to time just in the last few years. Honestly I can't stand the hyperpartisan on either side. Can't stand Hannity or Maddow for example. Listening to Mr Limbaugh from time to time I get the attraction millions have to him however...

In 2008 I was in Chicago visiting my sister for July 4th. We had a small party planned; when we learned that Sen. Jesse Helms had kicked the bucket that day, we incorporated his departure into the party theme. We even had a "Jesse Helms Deathday Cake" with his name, birth and death dates, and "Good Riddance" hastily scribbled in icing on top.

Petty, yes, but I still don't feel guilty about that. Helms was a hateful, odious carbon-based life form. Nothing Limbaugh has ever said or done even approaches the viciousness Helms espoused.

That said, I can't think offhand of anyone I'd wish death or even cancer on, even my boyfriend's ex-wife. She's irksome and certainly expended a lot of effort trying to make his life hell, but then again she's pathological and a junkie to boot, so nothing she did was entirely unexpected.

Interesting I started listening from time to time just in the last few years. Honestly I can't stand the hyperpartisan on either side. Can't stand Hannity or Maddow for example. Listening to Mr Limbaugh from time to time I get the attraction millions have to him however...

I have no use for syncophants. Hannity, Limbaugh, Maddow et al at least have an excuse - the extreme partisan stance they take on air keeps them lucratively employed. Much of it is schtick - they're entertainers, first and foremost.

The onus is on the listener to question and verify any source. But the average American is too lazy to bother.

• Like 2

In 2008 I was in Chicago visiting my sister for July 4th. We had a small party planned; when we learned that Sen. Jesse Helms had kicked the bucket that day, we incorporated his departure into the party theme. We even had a "Jesse Helms Deathday Cake" with his name, birth and death dates, and "Good Riddance" hastily scribbled in icing on top.

Petty, yes, but I still don't feel guilty about that. Helms was a hateful, odious carbon-based life form. Nothing Limbaugh has ever said or done even approaches the viciousness Helms espoused.

That said, I can't think offhand of anyone I'd wish death or even cancer on, even my boyfriend's ex-wife. She's irksome and certainly expended a lot of effort trying to make his life hell, but then again she's pathological and a junkie to boot, so nothing she did was entirely unexpected.

Your point about Helms makes mine though, I think. Subjectively, you distinguish between them. I'm sure others with a different political bent might think they're equally bad or good. That's why, for me, someone would have to actually do something truly horrifying to warrant saying something to the effect of, "I'm glad they got a disease that caused them to waste away." Not trying to be over-dramatic, but cancer's different for me than saying you're glad someone who pissed you off and took your parking spot tripped over a curb..

Your point about Helms makes mine though, I think. Subjectively, you distinguish between them. I'm sure others with a different political bent might think they're equally bad or good. That's why, for me, someone would have to actually do something truly horrifying to warrant saying something to the effect of, "I'm glad they got a disease that caused them to waste away." Not trying to be over-dramatic, but cancer's different for me than saying you're glad someone who pissed you off and took your parking spot tripped over a curb..

Helms had a meanness to him that I haven't ever noticed in Limbaugh. Sure, lots of people get butthurt over things he says, but that's on them because he does not get personal.

Case in point: Helms was on an elevator one day with Sen. Carol Moseley-Braun, who is of course black. He told her he was "going to sing Dixie until I make you cry". He was deliberately cruel and loved to cloak himself in flag and Bible. Obviously North Carolinians found him somewhat tolerable, due probably in no small part to his loyalty to the state's tobacco industry.

Helms never did anything to me and I am sure his family adored him. I don't have enough meanness in me that, had I ever encountered the man face-to-face, I'd have ever told him, "I hope you die soon and that it's slow and painful". Our "death cake" was mainly just an amusing little prop.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

It is sad for his family but I won't be shedding any tears. Odious is the one word I would use to describe him. Glad that Limbaugh has made donations to military families and other deserving charities, one would at least expect him to do that. I cannot forgive him for the nasty and vile things he has said about women over the years, he has wreaked a lot of havoc in his time. I won't call him by his first name, the group wanted nothing to do with him when he started using their music on his show years ago. I remember about 5 years ago I was wearing an R30 shirt while shopping and some guy says to me, I am a ditto head too :facepalm:. Not someone I want to be associated with. Don't think that is an easy disease to fight, I'm sure his doctors will do all they can.
  • Like 2

It is sad for his family but I won't be shedding any tears. Odious is the one word I would use to describe him. Glad that Limbaugh has made donations to military families and other deserving charities, one would at least expect him to do that. I cannot forgive him for the nasty and vile things he has said about women over the years, he has wreaked a lot of havoc in his time. I won't call him by his first name, the group wanted nothing to do with him when he started using their music on his show years ago. I remember about 5 years ago I was wearing an R30 shirt while shopping and some guy says to me, I am a ditto head too :facepalm:. Not someone I want to be associated with. Don't think that is an easy disease to fight, I'm sure his doctors will do all they can.

the bold is ONE reason i just can't feel sad. and i won't

if this reduces me in people's eyes. oh well.

but whenever someone gets cancer i DO think of their families.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Helms had a meanness to him that I haven't ever noticed in Limbaugh. Sure, lots of people get butthurt over things he says, but that's on them because he isn't deliberately cruel.

Case in point: Helms was on an elevator one day with a black Congresswoman (name escapes me). He told her he was "going to sing Dixie until I make you cry". He was deliberately cruel and loved to cloak himself in flag and Bible. Obviously North Carolinians found him somewhat tolerable, due probably in no small part to his loyalty to the state's tobacco industry.

Carol Moseley-Braun.

Robert Byrd was a Klansman, and used the "n word" in an interview given sometime within the last 20 years. Neither man would have been welcome in my home. But I guess my point is not liking a person or their politics is different in kind, not degree, from saying their being diagnosed with cancer is a good thing.

• Like 1

Helms had a meanness to him that I haven't ever noticed in Limbaugh. Sure, lots of people get butthurt over things he says, but that's on them because he isn't deliberately cruel.

Case in point: Helms was on an elevator one day with a black Congresswoman (name escapes me). He told her he was "going to sing Dixie until I make you cry". He was deliberately cruel and loved to cloak himself in flag and Bible. Obviously North Carolinians found him somewhat tolerable, due probably in no small part to his loyalty to the state's tobacco industry.

Carol Moseley-Braun.

Robert Byrd was a Klansman, and used the "n word" in an interview given sometime within the last 20 years. Neither man would have been welcome in my home. But I guess my point is not liking a person or their politics is different in kind, not degree, from saying their being diagnosed with cancer is a good thing.

Byrd is a (thankfully) distant relative of mine. When I found that out I said something to the effect of, "oh great, like it's not embarrassing enough to live in Georgia!"

• Like 1

I remember about 5 years ago I was wearing an R30 shirt while shopping and some guy says to me, I am a ditto head too :facepalm:.

That happens to me on occasion too. I just roll my eyes and keep doing what I'm doing.

My former (and now late, RIP) brother-in-law made that mistake with me when ex-DH and I first started dating. I quickly corrected him, same as when I mentioned I was a big follower of (Thoroughbred) racing. He thought I meant NASCAR. Sweet guy but we didn't have much to talk about!

• Like 1