My Own Personal Theory...

skullchrist

I have a theory, and my gut is telling me, that in the three and half years that he was fighting this insidious disease that they might have made some kind of music (Or he might have). Therapy music, acoustic music, drum circle music etc. I have no idea. I'm only saying this because as a musician myself I would feel compelled to make one last will and musical testament (And also as we all know music itself can be a type of therapy). It's just kind of hardwired into people that are compelled to make music and there is no logical or rational way to explain it. It's like salmon swimming up stream, they do it because the Universe made them that way.

That being said I also want to say that I have no expectation that this actually happened and/or if it did that it will ever be released. I really just wanted to share my own feelings on the matter during this most difficult time.

Cheers.

RIP Neil Peart

Fly on Astromancer, fly on.

Edited by skullchrist
  • Like 1

Man will I miss his work... 3 weeks later and I find myself still... off.

If I had to guess, I think the last time he picked up sticks was the last show. I don't think he was sick then, but had so many other things he wanted to do. In a tragic twist of fate, if he was diagnosed a a year later, I would bet he spent as much time as he could with his family and on his hobbies while he could. It's awful to think about. Honestly, after reading his last book, and knowing his broad interests, I'd say he didn't want to drum again. He had other mountains to climb. In every sense.

• Like 6

Neil already made his final musical testament with Clockwork Angels. There isn't a much better way to end things than with a song like The Garden. I do think it's possible Neil wrote about what he was going through. Not sure those words would ever see the light of day if they do exist.

The most we can hope for now from a musical standpoint is Geddy doing more solo material. Which I think we will eventually get.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 5

Neil's musical ability might have been impaired by his brain tumor. Given that he always wanted to do his best work, I suspect that he wouldn't have wanted to create music, for sharing with others, in an impaired condition. I think he was pretty realistic about these things, and a man of many interests who wasn't driven to exclusively do any one particular thing.

I doubt he wrote or played drums - what more would he want to say? In his last book, he bid a beautiful farewell, at least to drumming and the road.

I was a little surprised to hear nothing for years, and was thinking we'd hear about an adventure or a car or motorcycle or a new hobby.

Edited by upstateNYfan

That's an interesting theory. I'm of two minds: 1) as per your theory, Neil found his way back to drumming and music in some capacity and went all in, i.e., playing every day and maybe even recording the work or 2) he simply let go of that part of his life completely. I tend to subscribe to 2). I recall reading about another drummer (a notable drummer but I can't recall who exactly) who met Neil about two years ago and apparently Neil told him that he wasn't playing at all and didn't even have a drumset in his house (but had a kit to play on at the DW (Drum Workshop) head office, which was a ~30 minute drive from his residence in California). In any event, I'm at peace more so now because the body of work that Neil left behind was massive and truly exceptional. If he had one more studio album or live performance in him, I don't think that would have augmented his legacy because it was already established and as solid as anyone could build.

Let the man rest in peace. His last years must've been horrible for him. I'd never want to go that way.

He wanted out of Rush for decades. That he continued giving them his best is a tribute to his self-discipline and professionalism.

Rush could not have chosen a better song than The Garden to sign off on. The song says it all.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I don't think Neil wanted out of RUSH per se before the 21st century in the mid 90's.

Initially it was the touring part that he felt done with in the late 80's, but carried on regardless.

They've consider calling it quits a few other times as a whole (because of the heavy touring and reaching some musical crossroads), but again carried on.

It's been more personal circumstances that impacted them professionally, where the band nearly quit altogether.

I think all the guys did enjoy writing and recording songs and releasing albums.

Then it was recently that Neil wanted to be done with the entire scope of RUSH as both a recording and touring unit.

Neil's journey began with 'Fly By Night' (the song) and finished with 'The Garden'.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I understand the point that “music is in one’s blood” or the like but why is it so hard to believe that some artists truly quit forever? Many writers, musicians, actors, painters, etc. quit never again to produce another work.

Art may be in one's blood but the CHOICE to continue isn’t. Free will and all of that.

I would think he spent his days after the final tour with family and close friends. Not trying to be insensitive, but perhaps he realized a second chance with family and wasn’t going to split time between them and the limelight as before. “All those precious wasted years...”
  • Like 1

He possibly wrote something as in a final book that could be some kind of memoir or autobiography maybe but probably not any kind of music.

He wrote Far and Wide: Bring that Horizon to me the year after R40. That was his final book and he addressed a lot of his thoughts and feelings in it. I began reading it a week ago.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4