No Need For Another Down Neil Thread! Time To "Roll The Bones!" The Drum Intro On "Face Up" Is Euphoric! I LOVE YOU NEIL!

RUSHHEAD666

I have been feeling so much better lately after so many weeks of being sad, but man for some reason tonight I am struggling again.

I think it's because I am trying to get back to normal. I'm reading all everyone's posts and threads on here with no problem.

I'm watching videos on here and everything is cool.

But for some reason since Neil's death I really have embraced "Roll The Bones."

I know this album isn't a fan favorite but for some reason this album is really "talking" to me.

I know I'm a goofball on here but I can be serious.

The track "Roll The Bones" just came on my stereo. I I typed "Roll The Bones" the first time in this white rectangle Geddy said it perfectly while my fingers typed it.

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

Neil and I are so close just never on a social mortal level.

I'm a very loud lucid dreamer.

Yep, guess I am crazy.

I lucid dream every night. Mostly about the ocean. My Spirit Guide. My protector. My "Liquid Angel" so to speak.

But I do dream of RUSH occasionally.

Last night I had an incredible dream about Neil.

I was in my old elementary gym. Buena Vista in Walnut Creek Ca.

The place was packed. My parents where there. My oldest daughter Zoe was in the row behind me.

Neil was putting on a cooking show inside this gym cafeteria.

He had his own food truck inside the joint.

I looked at Neil and he smiled and waved at me.

I smiled and waved back. My daughter in the row behind me tapped on my shoulder. Zoe told me... "Wow daddy Neil remembers you from before!"

So a few years ago I had a lucid dream of RUSH playing in this same gym. I met Neil after the gig and we became friends.

So last night in my dream after Neil did a cooking presentation I met him after and we just talked about life. Even in my dream I was thinking like I was awake. "Wait I said to myself.... Neil has passed and here I am talking to him."

In my dream Neil's age was around the "Grace Under Pressure" Tour Time.

Neil was so nice to me.

We shook hands.

I remember at the end of the dream Neil looked like Clint Eastwood.

So bizzarre.

Then I woke up.

I woke up with a big smile on my face, like I had really hung out with Neil.

I know it's just a dream, but when people you love pass they visit you in your dreams.

I've had real stuff happen like that with both my grandparents on my mom's side and my dad's mom too when she passed.

I know you are all thinking I'm insane but it is what it is.

Just typing how I feel at the moment.

My dream last night with Neil was so real.

But anyway, my point of this thread is that I LOVE NEIL'S DRUMMING ON THE INTRO TO "FACE UP!"

It's just off the charts.

Literally!

My heart will heal. Yet a small crack will always remain.

Sounds like a Neil lyric eh?

He's my MAN!

• Like 4

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

I never mentioned it, but I had just sung those lines to myself when I first found out Neil passed away... seconds before, or seconds out you could say. It's not like I sing Rush all the time, or that when I sing Roll The Bones very often when I do sing Rush. That's just where my brain happened to be for the few moments I had left of not knowing Neil had passed. It may not be supernatural or anything crazy like that, but you know, life isn't always as coincidental as it seems, so you never know.

But you're right Earl. Face Up gets a lot of flack around here, but personally I'd take it over at least half of the rest of RTB, which is probably still my least favorite Rush album. The drums and the groove are so energetic and tight! The production is too springy I guess, but the song is good and the performance and lyrics are great. "If I could only reach that dial inside... and turn it up! Face up!"

• Like 1

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

I never mentioned it, but I had just sung those lines to myself when I first found out Neil passed away... seconds before, or seconds out you could say. It's not like I sing Rush all the time, or that when I sing Roll The Bones very often when I do sing Rush. That's just where my brain happened to be for the few moments I had left of not knowing Neil had passed. It may not be supernatural or anything crazy like that, but you know, life isn't always as coincidental as it seems, so you never know.

But you're right Earl. Face Up gets a lot of flack around here, but personally I'd take it over at least half of the rest of RTB, which is probably still my least favorite Rush album. The drums and the groove are so energetic and tight! The production is too springy I guess, but the song is good and the performance and lyrics are great. "If I could only reach that dial inside... and turn it up! Face up!"

You amaze me my friend.

Incredible post.

You truly never know.

But someday we will all know........

You are awesome!!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

You amaze me my friend.

Incredible post.

You truly never know.

You are awesome!!!

I already know, and I don't know anything.

I just ready my corny quote in parenthesis. More proof that Neil will always be my mentor and my drumming mortal mammoth musician.

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend because we are only immortal for a limited time." - Earl Peart

I know it's just brain waves and "Permanent Waves" but I believe you dream the way you live your life.

I dream of RUSH a lot. The ocean too.

To be really open on a public forum I still lucid dream of my ex wife and it's actually very positive and sexual.

I spent 21 years with her.

I've been a RUSH Freak since 1981.

I've always been in love with the ocean.

I always told my little girls that "the ocean is your friend, but you aways must respect it."

We all have consciousness embedded in our beautiful brains.

We all can dream of things that impact us in our realities.

You who read this can grasp it.

I have no regrets in life.

RUSH ON!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3

I’ve always been fond of Roll the Bones, even back when it was new! It has one clunker on it, but it’s a great nine-song album...

But anyway, I never really ‘got’ that lyric in the title track until I got older. “Why are we here? Because we’re here”, never made sense to me at age 18, even though I’d already had some experiences at that point that might have brought me to that point of view...but no, I just wasn’t getting it. Still dug the music. But now that I’m older, I understand it all too well. (Back then, the lyric that fit me the best, and which I still think is such a great line, is “I get so angry but I keep my mouth shut!”)

I love the piccolo snare that Neil was using at the time, and Alex has some really fine work on that whole record as well!

And I’ll say, I also have had that experience of being visited by departed loved ones in my dreams (and just an instance or two in waking consciousness, too)...happened with my brother, the first time was on the day of the first Rush show I ever attended, and he’d been dead for about three and a half years at that point- and I had a whole SERIES of dreams with my sister in them, in the first three or four months after she died- she was paying me some visits and then saying goodbye like we never got to in real life. It was chilling and freaky, but comforting at the same time.

Face up, or you can only back down!

Try to make every day count for something good.

• Like 2

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

You amaze me my friend.

Incredible post.

You truly never know.

You are awesome!!!

I just ready my corny quote in parenthesis. More proof that Neil will always be my mentor and my drumming mortal mammoth musician.

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend because we are only immortal for a limited time." - Earl Peart

I know it's just brain waves and "Permanent Waves" but I believe you dream the way you live your life.

To be really open on a public forum I still lucid dream of my ex wife and it's actually very positive and sexual.

I always told my little girls that "the ocean is your friend, but you aways must respect it."

RUSH ON!

No regrets in life! That is awesome. Even I can’t say that, for myself.

I do believe it’s possible to make it back to that, though.

• Like 1

I pointed out in another thread here recently that Face Up is one of those songs that could've been so much more with better production and recorded with different guitars. Imagine if it was held over to the Counterparts sessions and had a much beefier crunchier sound instead of the tinny gutless airy Rupert Hine version on RTB
  • Like 1

"Why are we here?"

"Why does it happen?"

You amaze me my friend.

Incredible post.

You truly never know.

You are awesome!!!

RUSH ON!

No regrets in life! That is awesome. Even I can’t say that, for myself.

I do believe it’s possible to make it back to that, though.

Thank you my friend!

Don't get me wrong, we have probably all hit rock bottom in life. But when I did, it woke me up and made me even stronger! I'm never going back to that darkness.

It's ok. It wasn't drugs or booze.

It was depression while going through my wicked divorce.

I am sooooo happy now. Five years later.

Glad I'm not "Five Years Dead."

Love,

Motley Crue

• Like 1

I pointed out in another thread here recently that Face Up is one of those songs that could've been so much more with better production and recorded with different guitars. Imagine if it was held over to the Counterparts sessions and had a much beefier crunchier sound instead of the tinny gutless airy Rupert Hine version on RTB

Excellent post. "Ahhh a yes to yes....."

Excellent post. "Ahhh a yes to yes....."

Then it wouldn’t have been Face Up. It would’ve been Facelift.

I’m not a big fan of Face Up so yeah I would’ve been good if it had some plastic surgery done with Peter Collins as the head surgeon and Kevin “the Caveman” assisting.

Signed,

It Ain’t Like That

• Like 1

Ah yes to yes JB and Syrinx.

Just saw Night Ranger play two albums back to back. EPIC!!!

ROCK AND ROLL WILL LIVE FOREVER!! JUST LIKE NEIL!

Cheers gentlemen!

Wondering if you got my reference in my last post.

Signed,

BleedtheFreakSeaofSorrowManintheBox

You are a genius, and I love you dude. I missed it.

• Like 1

Cheers gentlemen!

Signed,

For a very brief period right after Bones was released, I thought Alice in Chains (or Living Colour) was going to become my #1 band. Then, I went back and re-listened to some older Rush and tossed that idea out. :LOL:

Still, this is kick ass:

Face Up < Facelift (anything off this album really imho)

:blaze:

• Like 1

Cheers gentlemen!

Signed,

For a very brief period right after Bones was released, I thought Alice in Chains (or Living Colour) was going to become my #1 band. Then, I went back and re-listened to some older Rush and tossed that idea out. :LOL:

Still, this is kick ass:

Hey JB! Alice In Chains was great. I love "Facelift" and "Dirt." I saw them once. They opened for Ozzy on the "No More Tears" Tour. Layne had a broken leg and sang the entire show in a wheelchair. Badass shit.

I love Living Colour too. Seen them twice. "Vivid" is a masterpiece.

Cheers gentlemen!

Signed,

Still, this is kick ass:

Hey JB! Alice In Chains was great. I love "Facelift" and "Dirt." I saw them once. They opened for Ozzy on the "No More Tears" Tour. Layne had a broken leg and sang the entire show in a wheelchair. Badass shit.

Unfortunately I never got to see AIC.

I did see Living Colour though. Great performance with one of the best opening acts I’ve seen too: King’s X.

Oh, have you been listening to that Follow For Now album?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I have never had a problem with RTB. Like all eagerly awaited new releases from the Holy Trinity I didn't like it at first listen! But then me and my three Rushhead buddies applied our tried and tested "new Rush album listening technique":

1. Play it through several times and start to get the anticipation of " a good bit coming up".
  2. Play it through more times and start to get a sense of each song's structure.
  3. Now, time to listen through just listening to the drums - much air drumming required.
  4. Now, listen just to the bass, just to the guitar...
  5. By now we have an in-depth understanding of the songs, possibly find bits stuck in our heads (tough, as Rush were never big on melodies).

And from then on every listen is a totally immersive joy!

What other band makes you work so hard? Why did we do it? Because the care and craftsmanship that went into making the music deserved it, simple.

Me and those three buddies are white-haired and grandparents now, and rarely see each other, but we will forever share the bond that the Rush listening experience gave us and when the terrible news broke we were all over email to each other.

Perhaps I have just accidentally described why this band mean so much to their fans.

• Like 2

Cheers gentlemen!

Signed,

Still, this is kick ass:

Unfortunately I never got to see AIC.

I did see Living Colour though. Great performance with one of the best opening acts I’ve seen too: King’s X.

Oh, have you been listening to that Follow For Now album?

I've seen King's X too. They are great and I buy all of their albums, yet sometimes I get bored.

Follow For Now was a great call my friend.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with RTB. Like all eagerly awaited new releases from the Holy Trinity I didn't like it at first listen! But then me and my three Rushhead buddies applied our tried and tested "new Rush album listening technique":

1. Play it through several times and start to get the anticipation of " a good bit coming up".

2. Play it through more times and start to get a sense of each song's structure.

3. Now, time to listen through just listening to the drums - much air drumming required.

4. Now, listen just to the bass, just to the guitar...

5. By now we have an in-depth understanding of the songs, possibly find bits stuck in our heads (tough, as Rush were never big on melodies).

And from then on every listen is a totally immersive joy!

What other band makes you work so hard? Why did we do it? Because the care and craftsmanship that went into making the music deserved it, simple.

Me and those three buddies are white-haired and grandparents now, and rarely see each other, but we will forever share the bond that the Rush listening experience gave us and when the terrible news broke we were all over email to each other.

Perhaps I have just accidentally described why this band mean so much to their fans.

Geezus! I used to do the same thing! Every RUSH new release since "Power Windows" I believe my Rushhead buddies and I would drive down to Tower Records at midnight and get the new album!!

I have a great story for you that even goes further back than Power Windows. Well it's great to me. LOL!

Back then like Neil I was a cyclist. Always on my bike and it was fun because from Alamo to Concord there were exactly 7 record stores to hit. Usually I would just go to Walnut Creek and visit my five record stores daily.

Yep, even when I was 15 I was a rock and roll junkie. Motley Crue reference.

Anyway, I would pack a secret lunch for school and save my lunch money for cassettes. So that's how I was able to fill my addiction. LOL!

So one day I hopped on my bike and headed down to Walnut Creek. I heard about the new Y&T album "Mean Streak." So I had to grab exactly 8.51 USD and go buy it. Yep, I still remember the exact amount I needed after tax. Cassettes in 1983-84 were 7.99.

Anyway, I proceeded on my little "Mission" to get the new Y&T album. Now on my route there is a really hard ass hill to bike up to get back home. It burned man, but it was good.

So I walk in to Record Factory. Remember that store?

Back then we also had a Banana Records. Rainbow Records, Record Exchange (my favorite) and Music Town.

So I walk into Record Factory and I see the new releases rack with many different new albums and cassettes.

Sure enough I see "Mean Streak" but next to it was "GRACE UNDER PRESSURE" BY RUSH!!!!!

My brain exploded like a supernova! I didn't know about this album yet!!

It took me by surprise.

I instantly passed on "Mean Streak" and purchased the GUP cassette with my cash.

I biked my ass home and up that mini mountain from Hell.

I didn't care.

I was so excited!!

I got home and put on "Grace."

So this is why I am telling you this.

I listened to that cassette all the way through one time and instantly fell in love!!! My young mind was blown away!!! I know many Rush fans don't care about "Red Lenses" but as a young drummer back then I was floored. I had to learn it and I did! Even without electronics. But that's different story! I had the buzzers and "bells" to pull it off. LOL!

So after one listening I was so pumped. I mean "Grace" is my second favorite Rush record of all time of course right below "Hemispheres."

But then I had that Y&T itch inside my burning brain.

I had to get Mean Streak! So I found 8.51 in change, hopped back on my bike and went back down to Record Factory to buy it!!

I know I'm weird. But even then RUSH and Y&T were always my top two bands on the planet.

I love how the only time Y&T played with RUSH was on the east coast on the what? Yep! Of course!! THE GUP TOUR!!!!

I am friends with Y&T and they have told so many amazing stories about when they were on tour with RUSH!

Some stories I know about RUSH that I would never tell. LOL!!

RUSH ON!

NEIL IS THE GREATEST!!!!! I LOVE HIM!!!!

• Like 1