Anyone on here a psychologist?

Aikenrooster

I have had bad dreams for a long time, and I can handle it, but, lately, I'm having the same 3 recurring bad dreams. I understand one of them, but not the other two. Is there anyone on here who understands this stuff? And, is there anything that can be done to stop bad dreams?

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I know there are medications that can help with that. I'd start with your Primary Care doctor and go from there. If you're averse to meds, there are other methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy that may help too. If the dreams seem to be related to a specific event, there is a drug specifically for PTSD related nightmares called Prazosin.

Make sure you ask before whatever meds you might get. A lot of meds that psychologists give out make your pecker stop working.

aka The Freudian Drip

http://bp0.blogger.com/_DfNbIwPi3Y0/SEz-NSXxo6I/AAAAAAAABSI/EG5Y_2wOaUg/s400/MagrittePipe.jpg

I have had bad dreams for a long time, and I can handle it, but, lately, I'm having the same 3 recurring bad dreams. I understand one of them, but not the other two. Is there anyone on here who understands this stuff? And, is there anything that can be done to stop bad dreams?

I wouldn't take any medication for something like that.

It's easy for me to say, I know, but try and not dwell on the dreams too much. Distract yourself as much as possible before going to bed. Read a good book before going to bed.

Every time your mind starts to dwell on the dreams, direct your thoughts elsewhere. Refuse to think about it, no matter how many times you have to redirect your thoughts.

Sooner or later, the dreams will stop. Sounds like your subconscious is in a rut. It will eventually get of it.

P.S. I'm not a psychologist. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Whatever you do, do NOT start taking drugs. That won't solve the actual problem.

I would focus on understanding the meaning of the dreams (assuming that there is any meaning). If they have to do with certain people, then start there.

• Like 3

Are you on any medication at the moment?

There are quite a few drugs that will cause vivid or unsettling dreams as a side effect...

Yup. Chantix did for me (both times), and any SSRI. (SSRIs, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, may negatively impact bonerism but you won't care because they also banjax your sex drive),

I dream vividly anyway but the dreams from those two drugs were just beyond weird. It did settle down after a bit, though.

When you have these nightmares, are you aware you're dreaming? It's called lucid dreaming and supposedly you can train yourself to do it. The benefit of your dream self knowing that it's in a dream can let you somehow subconsciously take control of the dream.

Oh, also not a psychiatrist/psychologist, and it's been years since I stayed in a Holiday Inn even.

• Like 1

If you're taking meds, that might have something to do with it.

Get lots of exercise. Lots. (if you're obese, take your time here but get exercise.)

Change the diet - nothing but healthy stuff.

No drinking or smoking for awhile.

• Like 1

If you're taking meds, that might have something to do with it.

Get lots of exercise. Lots. (if you're obese, take your time here but get exercise.)

Change the diet - nothing but healthy stuff.

No drinking or smoking for awhile.

A good purge always helps! Empty the body of all nasty stuff. Reboot!! :ebert:

If I recall correctly, a psychologist can't actually prescribe meds, whereas a psychiatrist can. I could be way off though. One deals with helping you understand how you are the way you are, and the other deals directly with medically diagnosed conditions like depression or anxiety.
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly, a psychologist can't actually prescribe meds, whereas a psychiatrist can. I could be way off though. One deals with helping you understand how you are the way you are, and the other deals directly with medically diagnosed conditions like depression or anxiety.

Psychologists can prescribe meds depending on the state. And military psychologists can too.

Psychiatrists definitely can.

Getting back to the original post - Bottom line, if the dreams don’t hinder a full, healthy life, then I wouldn’t take any meds whatsoever. Meds would be my absolute last choice for something like dreams.

P.S. I’m not a psychologist but I was a counselor working with the mentally ill and impaired from about ‘96-‘01. My dealings at work with psychologists were mixed so getting them to interpret dreams or handling any situation and finding a resolution would likely vary.

When you have these nightmares, are you aware you're dreaming? It's called lucid dreaming and supposedly you can train yourself to do it. The benefit of your dream self knowing that it's in a dream can let you somehow subconsciously take control of the dream.

You can indeed learn to lucid dream. It's pretty simple... You just tell yourself as you fall asleep that as you dream you'll become aware, and that you'll remember your dreams. Along with training yourself along those lines, it's good practice to keep a dream journal by your bed. You'll learn to wake up and record your dream when it's fresh, so it's available for later analysis.

I've practiced it in the past and used to teach my students to do the same, with interesting results.

Psychologists can prescribe meds depending on the state. And military psychologists can too.

Getting back to the original post - Bottom line, if the dreams don’t hinder a full, healthy life, then I wouldn’t take any meds whatsoever. Meds would be my absolute last choice for something like dreams.

P.S. I’m not a psychologist but I was a counselor working with the mentally ill and impaired from about ‘96-‘01. My dealings at work with psychologists were mixed so getting them to interpret dreams or handling any situation and finding a resolution would likely vary.

I think what Aik's describing is manageable through self-care. Although he didn't share details, it doesn't sound like night terrors or anything like that.

I think what Aik's describing is manageable through self-care. Although he didn't share details, it doesn't sound like night terrors or anything like that.

I hear you.

Personally, I take as few meds as possible. I don’t even take aspirin anymore and haven’t for at least a decade.