Clockwork Destiny

Running Rebel

I had heard Kevin was doing a third Clockwork book (Clockwork Destiny) so I emailed him, offered condolences, and asked about it.

Hi Randy,

Neil and I were developing Clockwork Destiny and had a fair amount of work done, but now I’ll have to complete it by myself. I have no estimated timeline. It was always on the back burner. A lot to process…

best

KJA

Edited by Running Rebel
  • Like 5

I still think CA would have been much better if Neil had written it himself, or found an author capable of writing for audiences older than 8th grade.

The family of Frank Herbert should have done likewise when they decided to have another Dune novel written.

Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are by far the worst written novels I have ever read.

• Like 2

I still think CA would have been much better if Neil had written it himself, or found an author capable of writing for audiences older than 8th grade.

The family of Frank Herbert should have done likewise when they decided to have another Dune novel written.

Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune are by far the worst written novels I have ever read.

I'll never forgive him for what he did to the Dune series.....

• Like 1

But if you scrape away the gold paint, the ornate facade, or just the covering of dirt, everybody wants to be loved and respected. And neither is any good without the other. Love without respect can be as cold as pity; respect without love can be as grim as fear.—Clockwork Angels

But if you scrape away the gold paint, the ornate facade, or just the covering of dirt, everybody wants to be loved and respected. And neither is any good without the other. Love without respect can be as cold as pity; respect without love can be as grim as fear.—Clockwork Angels

You actually think that's a good piece of writing?

Bubba in his book review of The Lacuna

Love and respect, love and respect—I have been carrying those words around with me for two years, daring to consider that perhaps they convey the real meaning of life. Beyond basic survival needs, everybody wants to be loved and respected. And neither is any good without the other. Love without respect can be as cold as pity; respect without love can be as grim as fear.

• Like 1

It’s like an old memory seeing a straw man here, lol.

I get you probably don’t appreciate Neil’s concept about life which was also used in The Garden, but you don’t need to attack me.

It’s like an old memory seeing a straw man here, lol.

I get you probably don’t appreciate Neil’s concept about life which was also used in The Garden, but you don’t need to attack me.

That didn't make as much sense as you thought it did.

And if you think that was an attack then you have a thin skin indeed.

• Like 1

It happens that many like Rush because of the concepts portrayed in the lyrics. The morals. The last few weeks the forum has been filled with testimonials and declarations attesting to that fact. No one is forcing you to appreciate these concepts and attempting to belittle others that do, in a Rush Forum, seems a little bizarre.

Even if you don’t appreciate the literary skills of Kevin Anderson, the concepts are derived from Neil who in turn arrived at them through what most consider great authors and literature.

Do you want to belittle Neil’s song writing skills as well?

It seems pretty similar.

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect

So hard to earn, so easily burned

In the fullness of time

A garden to nurture and protect

Edited by Running Rebel

It happens that many like Rush because of the concepts portrayed in the lyrics. The morals. The last few weeks the forum has been filled with testimonials and declarations attesting to that fact. No one is forcing you to appreciate these concepts and attempting to belittle others that do, in a Rush Forum, seems a little bizarre.

Even if you don’t appreciate the literary skills of Kevin Anderson, the concepts are derived from Neil who in turn arrived at them through what most consider great authors and literature.

It seems pretty similar.

In the fullness of time

I was going to try and write a decent rebuttal to this, but then i remembered the pig-headed stupidity you continually display in SOCN.

I'll just content myself with calling you an idiot instead.

• Like 1

It seems pretty similar.

In the fullness of time

None of this has to do with the opinion of many of us that Kevin Anderson is a hack. I was eager to read Clockwork Angels but I was extremely disappointed in the shoehorned-in lyrics and the overall poor quality of the writing.

Neil read many fantastic books and shared his thoughts and recommendations with us. None of KJA's books hold a candle to any of them.

• Like 2

It seems pretty similar.

In the fullness of time

I was going to try and write a decent rebuttal to this, but then i remembered the pig-headed stupidity you continually display in SOCN.

Hey I get that many people on this forum turned on Neil and hated him and his politics and the lyrics and ranted against him endlessly. I also get that they attacked anyone who defended him in SOCN. I got suspended once for pointing out a poster's hypocrisy right here in Gen Pop. As much as he hates Neil, it made me gag a little to see him posting tributes. But to be honest I barely remember you and couldn't point to anything of value you ever added in the discussions there.

As to your strawman, show me where I wrote anything defending Kevin's literary ability. I mean you might not like Dog Years but that doesn't mean others can't, not to be condescending. And by the way, condescending is a word that means" talking down to people".

Me and many others can appreciate and enjoy the books for what they were and laughed to them as much as enjoyed many of the deeper points in Clockwork Angels, both the album and novel. It adds to the entire book of Neil's career and since this encompassed his last and in many way most important work, it seems odd to me that you would feel the need to attack fans that point to it.

It certainly seems odd that that specific passage triggered you. But whatever. No one is telling you to like it. If you hate the Garden or the moral concepts or whatever, that's your right.

Edited by Running Rebel

It seems pretty similar.

In the fullness of time

Hey I get that many people on this forum turned on Neil and hated him and his politics and the lyrics and ranted against him endlessly. I also get that they attacked anyone who defended him in SOCN. I got suspended once for pointing out a poster's hypocrisy right here in Gen Pop. As much as he hates Neil, it made me gag a little to see him posting tributes. But to be honest I barely remember you and couldn't point to anything of value you ever added in the discussions there.

As to your strawman, show me where I wrote anything defending Kevin's literary ability. I mean you might not like Dog Years but that doesn't mean others can't, not to be condescending. And by the way, condescending is a word that means" talking down to people".

Me and many others can appreciate and enjoy the books for what they were and laughed to them as much as enjoyed many of the deeper points in Clockwork Angels, both the album and novel. It adds to the entire book of Neil's career and since this encompassed his last and in many way most important work, it seems odd to me that you would feel the need to attack fans that point to it.

It certainly seems odd that that specific passage triggered you. But whatever. No one is telling you to like it. If you hate the Garden or the moral concepts or whatever, that's your right.

1. I couldn't give a monkeys chuff about Neil's politics or beliefs, and not really sure why you are even talking about this....you may barely remember me, but I remember YOU and still can't point to anything of value you added to the discussions.

2, I never said you defended KJA's writing ability and am not sure why you are saying I did.

3. Again, you seem to have completely misunderstood what I was "saying"......I (and many others) think KJA is an utter hack and his work almost unreadable....Neil isn't even in the equation apart from his poor choice in co-writers.

4. Triggered?.......what in the nine hells are you blithering on about?......The Garden isn't even on my radar, and to tell the truth I have listened to CA only once which was more than enough.

• Like 1

It seems pretty similar.

In the fullness of time

1. I couldn't give a monkeys chuff about Neil's politics or beliefs, and not really sure why you are even talking about this....you may barely remember me, but I remember YOU and still can't point to anything of value you added to the discussions.

2, I never said you defended KJA's writing ability and am not sure why you are saying I did.

3. Again, you seem to have completely misunderstood what I was "saying"......I (and many others) think KJA is an utter hack and his work almost unreadable....Neil isn't even in the equation apart from his poor choice in co-writers.

4. Triggered?.......what in the nine hells are you blithering on about?......The Garden isn't even on my radar, and to tell the truth I have listened to CA only once which was more than enough.

Two comments about the whole exchange between you two. After this, maybe you guys can just drop it.

Reb, you were probably taking Fridge's remarks a little too personally. Seems like he was aiming his disdain mainly at KJA.

Fridge, whatever Reb's past transgressions in SOCN, no need to bring them up out here. What happens in there, stays in there. It's in the rules.

It reminds me of the old saying, "The first rule of Rush Club is you don't talk about Rush". I get that many don't like KA's books or style but obviously given the ties to Rush, Neil's concepts and how we will look back on that I would think many would be interested in seeing what KA does with Clockwork Destiny if it happens. I certainly will. I actually treasure the signed books I have right now. And no one defends and talks about Neil's literary choices as much as me around here being the biggest Bubba's Book Club fan around. It's a shame the bigger picture gets lost by a few KA haters. If you don't like it, don't read it. #endrant Edited by Running Rebel