Donna Halper: Claims that Neil couldn't speak "are not accurate"

zappafrank

Sorry, but is this a subject we really want to be discussing? The OP was alerting us to a distasteful news story and that Donna Halper had the good grace to speak up against it. The thread has morphed into speculation about Neil's last moments on Earth, which seems as bad as the original story.

Just my two pennies worth.

I think members of this forum should be free to discuss this in any way they want to. It's valid to inquire about Peart's condition in his last days. I see nothing disrespectful about it.

I see nothing useful about it. Valid or invalid, call it what you will, it’s just idle gossip.

Just looking at the last few posts, it's opened up a conversation that isn't gossip at all. We're discussing what happens to people at the end of their lives, and members are adding their own experiences with cancer and other issues.

• Like 4

A dear friend of mine died of brain cancer seventeen years ago. I visited him the two days before he passed on and he was difficult to understand, he was talking fine, coherently, but difficult to understand. I firmly believe it was the medication that was effecting his speech. I would imagine that this may be the possible reason for these remarks. It's quite trivial. Neil will always e remembered for his wit, brilliance and thoughtful conversations.
  • Like 4

Sorry, but is this a subject we really want to be discussing? The OP was alerting us to a distasteful news story and that Donna Halper had the good grace to speak up against it. The thread has morphed into speculation about Neil's last moments on Earth, which seems as bad as the original story.

I think members of this forum should be free to discuss this in any way they want to. It's valid to inquire about Peart's condition in his last days. I see nothing disrespectful about it.

I see nothing useful about it.

There's nothing useful about much of what is discussed here at TRF. Luckily utility is not a requirement for discussion.

• Like 2

There's nothing useful about much of what is discussed here at TRF. Luckily utility is not a requirement for discussion.

TRF is in many ways the Cheers bar for Rush fans. And it NEVER gets old!

• Like 3

My daily goal is to be part of the 1% that does say something useful around here...... :LOL:

• Like 3

My mom died of colon cancer in December, and for the last few weeks of her life, he speech was definitely affected (getting to the point where you really couldn't understand a word she said), though I think in her case it was from the morphine that they had her on. I wouldn't be at all surprised that there came a time near the end of Neil's journey where he could no longer speak.

Sorry to hear that. I f***ing hate cancer.

JARG, I’m sorry to hear about this, too.

• Like 2

SOCN is proof of that, lol.

• Like 2

My mom died of colon cancer in December, and for the last few weeks of her life, he speech was definitely affected (getting to the point where you really couldn't understand a word she said), though I think in her case it was from the morphine that they had her on. I wouldn't be at all surprised that there came a time near the end of Neil's journey where he could no longer speak.

Sorry to hear that. I f***ing hate cancer.

She was 91; if it hadn't been cancer, it would've been something else soon enough. Hospice was able to keep her comfortable for the entire time she was in their care. Better dying through chemistry.

I'm glad to hear that. I have too many stories of people I have lost that were children and far far younger adults. And of course I wish for any when its time to just pass gently in their sleep.

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, is this the essence of what's in that Godsmack story/interview/quote? I keep seeing posts here about him not speaking and being in a wheelchair. I've done my best to avoid that story, but I have a feeling it's going to be impossible to avoid all the references to it around here. Hopefully he didn't go into more details than that ..

PS - Count me in the camp that thinks nobody should be talking publicly about what his last days/months/years were like. Seems like common decency and respect, especially to someone that was close enough to him to find this out.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, is this the essence of what's in that Godsmack story/interview/quote? I keep seeing posts here about him not speaking and being in a wheelchair. I've done my best to avoid that story, but I have a feeling it's going to be impossible to avoid all the references to it around here. Hopefully he didn't go into more details than that ..

PS - Count me in the camp that thinks nobody should be talking publicly about what his last days/months/years were like. Seems like common decency and respect, especially to someone that was close enough to him to find this out.

The whole wheelchair quote is entirely from the Godsmack guy. And almost every other interview from people who have actually spoken to Neil since R40 seem to contradict it.

• Like 3

Very sorry to hear about your mother, JARG.

• Like 1

Save your pennies for a rainy day.

We should.

It is.

And neither do I.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know what was the last thoughts, words of Neil to his family or closest friends in his last day, but to know that would mean that we were there or that someone there had the audacity to tell it to the outside world, which could be considered disrespectful for Neil's family or Neil wishes....

It would be interesting to know what was the last thoughts, words of Neil to his family or closest friends in his last day, but to know that would mean that we were there or that someone there had the audacity to tell it to the outside world, which could be considered disrespectful for Neil's family or Neil wishes....

If he was in hospice at the end there's a good chance his last thoughts were known only to himself. My grandfather decided on home hospice and on the day he died he was on a morphine patch for pain and didn't speak a word.

My dad was with my mom at the hospital when she passed. I'd seen her 2 days earlier and she was in and out of coherency. He stopped by, utterly delusional about her condition. At one point, she said "I can't breathe." And then she crashed. She was gone in minutes. Up to that point moment, he was still thinking she'd walk out of there and go on the trip he was planning the next month.

My dad was with my mom at the hospital when she passed. I'd seen her 2 days earlier and she was in and out of coherency. He stopped by, utterly delusional about her condition. At one point, she said "I can't breathe." And then she crashed. She was gone in minutes. Up to that point moment, he was still thinking she'd walk out of there and go on the trip he was planning the next month.

Wow. He must have been devastated.

Yes and no. Their relationship over the last 10 years had been pretty miserable. They were completely CO dependent on each other but they would not go to counseling or leave. We started making tentative plans from my dad to move to Florida a few months later because he has to be around people. Hes got whatever that extroverted personality trait is where he has to be part of a crowd. He can't be home alone or he'll just drink himself to death. My sister then set him up with a profile on a senior singles dating website, and he started getting attention. Lots of attention. For about 3 months he was f******* everything that moved. Then he switched to a Catholic website and met the woman in Bogota. They were married 11 months after my mom died. She still does not have a Visa so she has yet to come to America and I have not met her.

• Like 1

Yes and no. Their relationship over the last 10 years had been pretty miserable. They were completely CO dependent on each other but they would not go to counseling or leave. We started making tentative plans from my dad to move to Florida a few months later because he has to be around people. Hes got whatever that extroverted personality trait is where he has to be part of a crowd. He can't be home alone or he'll just drink himself to death. My sister then set him up with a profile on a senior singles dating website, and he started getting attention. Lots of attention. For about 3 months he was f******* everything that moved. Then he switched to a Catholic website and met the woman in Bogota. They were married 11 months after my mom died. She still does not have a Visa so she has yet to come to America and I have not met her.

I can imagine being so distraught and devastated that you'd want to just leave your current life and start a brand new one as soon as possible. Sorry for your loss man.

I can imagine being so distraught and devastated that you'd want to just leave your current life and start a brand new one as soon as possible. Sorry for your loss man.

I guess. My folks never, ever learned to communicate properly, so fights were just screaming matches. And nothing was ever resolved or forgotten. They'd bring up shit from 30 years ago when they were going at it.