Donna Halper: Claims that Neil couldn't speak "are not accurate"

zappafrank

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rushs-longtime-friend-says-claims-that-neil-peart-couldnt-speak-before-his-death-are-not-accurate/

Just in case the Sully Erna interview upset people even more during an already upsetting time.

On Saturday (January 18), Halper took to her Twitter to write: "Sad to say, there are some rumors about Neil Peart's final months circulating on social media. The vast majority are inaccurate. As for me, I choose to remember Neil as he was, and I want to respect his family's privacy during this difficult time."

She added in follow-up tweets: "Normally, I would remain silent and let people say what they want to say, but this is different. My friendship with RUSH is something I take very seriously, and I will defend the truth as much as I can. It's the least I can do.

"But it ended the way he wanted, surrounded by his family & best friends. (By the way, he was able to speak, almost till the very end, I am told.) Anyway, I'm just sorry there is no cure for the kind of cancer he had. May he rest in peace.

"That's the only reason I decided to say something. I hope folks understand. This is not about me. It's about respecting Neil's memory and letting him rest in peace.

"Yes, it is true that Neil fought his disease bravely. This kind of cancer has taken a number of wonderful people from us. But he never gave up, and he did not want folks to know how sick he was.

"I don't know whether he had the energy to keep a journal. But I do know that claims he couldn't speak are not accurate. I assume if he wrote anything, it will come out eventually. I don't think this is the right time for me to ask, however.

• Like 18

Knowing how Neil was, he very well didn't WANT to speak to some people. Maybe Sully should consider that as part of his observations.

Regardless, the disease is very debilitating..sadly...so his deterioration should not be a huge surprise. Whatever is spoken about him at this point doesn't change the fact that he is gone, so I don't put alot of stock into personal observations.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 4

I believe John McCain had the same or at least a variant of the same illness, and he fought it out in the limelight. He was lucid late in the disease's development.

Glioblastoma has about a 10% survival rate.

I don't care what the singer of Godsmack has to say, it doesn't change anything at this point.

I believe John McCain had the same or at least a variant of the same illness, and he fought it out in the limelight. He was lucid late in the disease's development.

I don't care what the singer of Godsmack has to say, it doesn't change anything at this point.

Yes, John McCain had the same type of cancer, as did Ted Kennedy. This is supposed to be a relatively rare cancer, with an incidence rate of about 1 case per 30,000 people per year, but anecdotal info makes it seem like it's becoming more common than that.

Because glioblastoma (GBM) is in the brain, the effects on a person depend on where in the brain it is and where it spreads to. Most people who have GBM have surgery to remove as much of the tumor as possible, but it's not possible to remove 100% surgically because the margins of the tumor are diffuse and care must be taken to not remove normal brain tissue.

If by 'survival' you mean cure, the cure rate for GBM is much less than 10%, and not much above 0%. Sometimes you'll see stats like 5-year survival rate reported, and people may get the impression that surviving to 5 years is the same as cure, but for many types of cancer (like GBM) people can pass away from them long after 5 years, sometimes as late as 20 years or more. Some data here: https://virtualtrials.com/pdf/long-termsurvivalofglioblastoma.pdf

Edited by 9/4

https://www.blabberm...e-not-accurate/

Just in case the Sully Erna interview upset people even more during an already upsetting time.

On Saturday (January 18), Halper took to her Twitter to write: "Sad to say, there are some rumors about Neil Peart's final months circulating on social media. The vast majority are inaccurate. As for me, I choose to remember Neil as he was, and I want to respect his family's privacy during this difficult time."

She added in follow-up tweets: "Normally, I would remain silent and let people say what they want to say, but this is different. My friendship with RUSH is something I take very seriously, and I will defend the truth as much as I can. It's the least I can do.

"But it ended the way he wanted, surrounded by his family & best friends. (By the way, he was able to speak, almost till the very end, I am told.) Anyway, I'm just sorry there is no cure for the kind of cancer he had. May he rest in peace.

"That's the only reason I decided to say something. I hope folks understand. This is not about me. It's about respecting Neil's memory and letting him rest in peace.

"Yes, it is true that Neil fought his disease bravely. This kind of cancer has taken a number of wonderful people from us. But he never gave up, and he did not want folks to know how sick he was.

"I don't know whether he had the energy to keep a journal. But I do know that claims he couldn't speak are not accurate. I assume if he wrote anything, it will come out eventually. I don't think this is the right time for me to ask, however.

Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1

Yes, John McCain had the same type of cancer, as did Ted Kennedy. This is supposed to be a relatively rare cancer, with an incidence rate of about 1 case per 30,000 people per year, but anecdotal info makes it seem like it's becoming more common than that.

Because glioblastoma (GBM) is in the brain, the effects on a person depend on where in the brain it is and where it spreads to. Most people who have GBM have surgery to remove as much of the tumor as possible, but it's not possible to remove 100% surgically because the margins of the tumor are diffuse and care must be taken to not remove normal brain tissue.

If by 'survival' you mean cure, the cure rate for GBM is much less than 10%, and not much above 0%. Sometimes you'll see stats like 5-year survival rate reported, and people may get the impression that surviving to 5 years is the same as cure, but for many types of cancer (like GBM) people can pass away from them long after 5 years, sometimes as late as 20 years or more. Some data here: https://virtualtrial...lioblastoma.pdf

My grandmother lived with a combination of lung and brain cancer for about twenty years before she passed away, even after being told she didn't have long to live. Just like how my grandma fought her cancer valiantly, I believe that Neil did the same and that's why he lasted almost four years.

Edited by fraroc

Dental X-Rays use a completely different radiation waveform than a cell phone signal which is merely a microwave not an "X ray" on the opposite side of the spectrum. Gamma Rays and X Rays are much more dangerous to human tissue & cells than a common low powered microwave from radio or cell transmitters. That's why the dentist puts a lead vest on you before taking photos of the inside of your skull
  • Like 1

Good points. I like Godsmack and don’t think Erna meant any harm. Hopefully he’ll apologize for spouting off something he evidently got off the rumor mill.

A member of another group I belong to (not Rush, it’s for nail polish fanatics, don’t ask!) suddenly disappeared from the boards where she had been one of the more active participants. It was odd that she vanished with no explanation, and one of the other members called her local police precinct for a wellness check. The cops found her semi-conscious and she’d been in a bad way for days. They got her to the hospital and she was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme. She never left the hospital. She got palliative care and radiation and lived about another month. Here was an advanced case but until she collapsed the symptoms were either not manifest or were too subtle for alarm until she crashed. The people from the board who did visit her reported that she was comfortable, surprisingly alert, and able to converse lucidly until about her last week.

Edited by Mara

I'm not going to waste my time reading any of this stuff. Godsmack sucks anyway. Could care less about the drama. The verbal vomit. This is about Neil.

All I know is I love Donna Halper and Gene Simmons!

Thank you Donna and Gene for believing in RUSH music and putting them on the Map Of Musical Masters For All Eternity!!

I LOVE YOU GEDDY! ALEX! NEIL!!!

• Like 3

Good points. I like Godsmack and don’t think Erna meant any harm. Hopefully he’ll apologize for spouting off something he evidently got off the rumor mill.

A member of another group I belong to (not Rush, it’s for nail polish fanatics, don’t ask!) suddenly disappeared from the boards where she had been one of the more active participants. It was odd that she vanished with no explanation, and one of the other members called her local police precinct for a wellness check. The cops found her semi-conscious and she’d been in a bad way for days. They got her to the hospital and she was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme. She never left the hospital. She got palliative care and radiation and lived about another month. Here was an advanced case but until she collapsed the symptoms were either not manifest or were too subtle for alarm until she crashed. The people from the board who did visit her reported that she was comfortable, surprisingly alert, and able to converse lucidly until about her last week.

My god. Sorry for your friend.

• Like 1

My mom died of colon cancer in December, and for the last few weeks of her life, he speech was definitely affected (getting to the point where you really couldn't understand a word she said), though I think in her case it was from the morphine that they had her on. I wouldn't be at all surprised that there came a time near the end of Neil's journey where he could no longer speak.
  • Like 1

My mom died of colon cancer in December, and for the last few weeks of her life, he speech was definitely affected (getting to the point where you really couldn't understand a word she said), though I think in her case it was from the morphine that they had her on. I wouldn't be at all surprised that there came a time near the end of Neil's journey where he could no longer speak.

Sorry to hear that. I f***ing hate cancer.

• Like 3

Sorry, but is this a subject we really want to be discussing? The OP was alerting us to a distasteful news story and that Donna Halper had the good grace to speak up against it. The thread has morphed into speculation about Neil's last moments on Earth, which seems as bad as the original story.

Just my two pennies worth.

Sorry to hear that. I f***ing hate cancer.

She was 91; if it hadn't been cancer, it would've been something else soon enough. Hospice was able to keep her comfortable for the entire time she was in their care. Better dying through chemistry.

• Like 5

Sorry, but is this a subject we really want to be discussing? The OP was alerting us to a distasteful news story and that Donna Halper had the good grace to speak up against it. The thread has morphed into speculation about Neil's last moments on Earth, which seems as bad as the original story.

I think members of this forum should be free to discuss this in any way they want to. It's valid to inquire about Peart's condition in his last days. I see nothing disrespectful about it.

• Like 2

I think members of this forum should be free to discuss this in any way they want to. It's valid to inquire about Peart's condition in his last days. I see nothing disrespectful about it.

I see nothing useful about it. Valid or invalid, call it what you will, it’s just idle gossip.