Power Windows is the Hemispheres of the 80s

Entre_Perpetuo

I think Peter Collins deserves a TON of credit for the album. Dude never heard Rush until they came knocking, and look at what he helped them create. Treeduck is right. At that point they were a different band with a modicum of success eager to pursue other directions. Hemispheres is a revered album in the pantheon of Rush, and yet, it never captivated me to the point where I listen to it intentionally. Certain tracks I have set in the rotation, but in all Power Windows is a much more satisfying album to engage as a whole.

As is Clockwork Angels.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how Rush fans could listen to what Neil is doing on High Water and not like it in some way? He's really getting down with drum groove on it.

Word. And the vocals and power chords are great as well.
  • Like 2

I'm not sure how Rush fans could listen to what Neil is doing on High Water and not like it in some way? He's really getting down with drum groove on it.

I especially like Neil's usage of the prototype 1" finger cymbals from Zildian on Territories, Why didn't they make that shit into a documentary? They money they left on the table.
  • Like 1

I especially like Neil's usage of the prototype 1" finger cymbals from Zildian on Territories, Why didn't they make that shit into a documentary? They money they left on the table.

Where in the song can I hear these? At the top?

Where in the song can I hear these? At the top?

Huh? Oh. I made that up. I just say stuff sometimes. Part of the quirky nature of Goatnut residents. We're natural storytellers
  • Like 2

I won’t hatefully disagree; it’s a strong album, great songwriting, great execution.

But Hold Your Fire is the Hemispheres of the synth era. ;)

That's the only other one I could agree with. If it weren't for Tai Shan and High Water, HYF might have PoW beat.

Lol, those are two of my favorites from HYF.

Said nobody ever lol.

Tai Shan is a real momentum killer. It's not as bad as a lot of fans make it out to be but those eight songs before just flow so well and take you on this great ride. Then Tai Shan comes on and just kills it. Just like Speed Of Love. Counterparts is going along tremendously until that song halts things for a few minutes. I do think because of the dislike many have for Tai Shan that High Water gets an unfair amount of hate because it has to try and save the album and end it on a good note. I feel the song does that. I'm not sure how Rush fans could listen to what Neil is doing on High Water and not like it in some way? He's really getting down with drum groove on it.

I agree on every point. High Water is a good track.

Listening to PoW right now. Always have loved this one. I'm on Middletown Dreams, and it's truly a perfect 80s Rush song. In fact every song on the album is. It's super consistent even for a Rush album. That consistency and hyper technical arranging and ultra precise playing (especially on Neil's part), it just strikes me as the Hems of the 80s for Rush.

That's just an opinion. Feel free to hatefully disagree, or applaud in agreement. Neil really outdid himself here though. I don't think that's debatable.

Okay :codger:

I hatefully disagree. :)

Power Windows is one of my least favorite Rush albums.

I've often wondered what forms our musical taste and why a song one person loves is horrid to the ears of another. But that is what makes life interesting.

I guess. :unsure:

Look here http://www.therushfo...an/page__st__20, three people think Tai Shan is better than Xanadu. :huh:

Two people are taking the piss and don’t actually think Tai Shan is better. The third probably misread the question or has some personal vendetta against Xanadu due to some past trauma associated with the tune :LOL:

Those folks never dined on honeydew nor drank the milk of paradise. What do they know??

I love Power Windows but I so wish GuP had the same level of production.

Interesting one. Power Windows was a huge step forward IMO; the word that always comes to mind is "architectural". It's like a three-dimensional structure. But at the same time the minimalist, simple production of GUP is part of its charm.

I love Power Windows but I so wish GuP had the same level of production.

Interesting one. Power Windows was a huge step forward IMO; the word that always comes to mind is "architectural". It's like a three-dimensional structure. But at the same time the minimalist, simple production of GUP is part of its charm.

I can't argue with that. I love both albums, but I feel like Geddy and NP got shorted on GuP. Geddy's playing (and tone) on GuP are so different, and muted almost, than his explosive performances on PW.

And Peart's drums are mixed so strangely on GuP. Toms and Cymbals all in the mid range - the snare sounds --just weird for a Rush record.

But Alex soars on GuP - sublime musicianship. I actually prefer his tone on GuP more than PW...Between the Wheels is incredible.

I won’t hatefully disagree; it’s a strong album, great songwriting, great execution.

That's the only other one I could agree with. If it weren't for Tai Shan and High Water, HYF might have PoW beat.

Said nobody ever lol.

Tai Shan is a real momentum killer. It's not as bad as a lot of fans make it out to be but those eight songs before just flow so well and take you on this great ride. Then Tai Shan comes on and just kills it. Just like Speed Of Love. Counterparts is going along tremendously until that song halts things for a few minutes. I do think because of the dislike many have for Tai Shan that High Water gets an unfair amount of hate because it has to try and save the album and end it on a good note. I feel the song does that. I'm not sure how Rush fans could listen to what Neil is doing on High Water and not like it in some way? He's really getting down with drum groove on it.

Same here. With the exception of Available Light, I like High Water more than any closer from every album that followed. And yes that includes The Garden which I like just fine.

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

Same here. With the exception of Available Light, I like High Water more than any closer from every album that followed. And yes that includes The Garden which I like just fine.

I wouldn't go that far! :-)

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

I liked it the first time I heard it. And it’s grown on me even more over the years. BUT to be honest, I think every album closer from Bones and onwards (with the exception of The Garden) is mediocre or worse. YBYL is one of their worst tunes ever imho

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

I liked it the first time I heard it. And it’s grown on me even more over the years. BUT to be honest, I think every album closer from Bones and onwards (with the exception of The Garden) is mediocre or worse. YBYL is one of their worst tunes ever imho

So interesting. I LOVE YBYL.

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

I agree with you there. YBYL is lane.

• Like 1

Other than being two great albums, I don’t see the connection. One (the brain/bum one) is a top 3 Rush album, and the other’s certainly top 10.

The 80s had Peart’s best lyrics though. And PoW is smack dab in the middle of all of that lyrical brilliance.

YES! I was thinking that the other day. We can find brilliance from Neil in just about any Rush song, but I really think his lyrics on Signals, P/G, PoW, and HYF were his very best. Just outstanding writing.

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

I found a lot of TRFers like it...and a lot dislike it.

Said nobody ever lol.

You are mostly correct

Said nobody ever lol.

You are mostly correct

Ming!

Long time no see. Hope the nut of Goat has been treating you well :blaze:

• Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

You are mostly correct

Ming!

Still flamin' I see. You remember Ming...that's funny!
  • Like 1

Said nobody ever lol.

You are mostly correct

Ming!

Still flamin' I see. You remember Ming...that's funny!

I never forget a ruthless tyrant who’s hellbent on universal domination!

• Like 1

I've always liked Power Windows. By October 1985 I'd got over my Rush-synth-era phobia, but it's nothing like Hemispheres, it's almost like two different bands. Everything is different, the song structures, the guitars, the drums, the bass, the synths, even the vocals are different even though it's obviously Geddy.

That's getting right to the heart of the matter now isn't it?

Right to the beautiful part.

• Like 4

Power Windows is probably Rush's best post-Moving Pictures album, which is saying a lot. I was ecstatic they played half of the album on the CA Tour (another great Post-MP album). :Neil: Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1