Neil Memorial event being planned in Toronto

blueschica

9 hours ago, blueschica said:

I am not going but I'm in a FB group where some people are. I'll try to repost some photos after the event!

Please please do.

This whole event got me thinking of making a vacation trip to Toronto when my budget allows. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laurabw said:

Bueller?

Rushisaband still has no info.  But I did find a ‘a night for Neil’ Facebook page.  There are a few videos on there. Not sure how to link.  I’ll update if I can figure it out.  No reports of Al or Ged 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, apetersvt said:

Rushisaband still has no info.  But I did find a ‘a night for Neil’ Facebook page.  There are a few videos on there. Not sure how to link.  I’ll update if I can figure it out.  No reports of Al or Ged 

I've seen a couple of videos as well, and a report from someone in another group that went that he and others were disappointed that Alex and Geddy didn't come. His complaint rubbed me the wrong way, just my opinion. It would have been cool, but the night was supposed to be all about Neil; it was never stated that Alex and Geddy would be there. They most likely realized that if they showed up, the night becomes about them instead of Neil. Ged and Alex owe people nothing after all these years:soapbox:

• Like 4

From the looks of what was on the Facebook page, it was pretty much just a bunch of cover bands.

I think the lack of involvement from Ged and Al is pretty understandable.  Neil didn't like being idolized and never would have participated in an event like that, and I think the guys know that.  It would have been awkward for them to be there.

I saw a bunch of posts and videos this afternoon.

so, I’m kind of torn on this whole thing about Geddy and Alex not being there. Even though now it’s a moot point as they say. I feel like there wouldn’t have been anything wrong with them coming out at the very beginning, saying a couple of words and welcoming everyone.  because after all, Rush was three guys and they are two of them. Or, maybe have had them at the end and said a few words and thanked everybody for being there. Because in that case everybody would have stayed for the whole thing. since they were all the band together, I don’t know that it would’ve been seen as being just about them if they had showed up. I never expected that they would play, I just thought they might say something. And if it had been publicized it would’ve sold out, and given that all of the money, or at least a lot of it, was going to charity, I don’t see how that would have been a bad thing. I mean, they knew him for decades and toured with him and sang his words. 

But no, they do not owe us anything, I agree. I just think it might’ve been nice if they had publicly remembered him with everyone that was there, even if only briefly. 

regardless, the last chapter in this sad saga is over.

• Like 3

I was there...here's a few words about the event, which I sent to friends of mine and will share with you:

A Night for Neil happened yesterday, and it was incredible! The event was organized by a non-profit organization called Overtime Angels. One of the members is the admin/owner of the website Rush is a Band. Neil's family was there - his mother, sisters and brother, but not his wife Carrie or his daughter Olivia. Geddy and Alex were not there either, and I don't really know why...

I arrived in St. Catharines mid afternoon and went to Lakeside Park, where the "Neil Peart Pavilion" is now located. In my first visit there they didn't have a sign that says "Neil Peart Pavilion", but now it's complete! I met the Brazilian band Fleesh taking pictures on the site, as well as Martin Vasco, a MEGA Rush fan who was actually friends with Neil. 

After a few pictures on Lakeside Park I went to the Meridian Hall, and while waiting outside, I saw two faces that were part of Rush's visual identity: the guy who posed for Hugh Syme when he did the "Starman" logo, and one of the movers who was on the Moving Pictures cover. Both were having the time of their lives with so much attention!

The show started with the Devah Quartet, a violin trio, who did an instrumental version of 2112, with guitarist David Barrett helping them out. Yes, they played it in full!!! Fleesh was next, and they did The Pass and The Garden.

Coming up next was Brandon Dyke, who did an acoustic medley with deep cuts, including Tai Shan. A few videos with statements of Neil's friends were played on the big screen - Doane Perry from Jethro Tull and Kenny Aronoff gave great speeches. Jacob Moon did his version of Subdivisions and another song I can't remember - Time Stand Still or Mission...but he was great as well.

The night closed with two cover bands - Permanent Waves, from Toronto, and Solar Federation, from Pennsylvania. Both were great, but Solar Federation was on a whole different level...they played Necromancer, and the crowd went nuts!!

I didn't take many pictures from the shows, but here are a few - one in Lakeside Park, one with the guys from the covers, and the last one, with Neil's BMW!

20221022-160015.jpg

20221022-165944.jpg

20221022-180943.jpg
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, Rod in Toronto said:

I was there...here's a few words about the event, which I sent to friends of mine and will share with you:

A Night for Neil happened yesterday, and it was incredible! The event was organized by a non-profit organization called Overtime Angels. One of the members is the admin/owner of the website Rush is a Band. Neil's family was there - his mother, sisters and brother, but not his wife Carrie or his daughter Olivia. Geddy and Alex were not there either, and I don't really know why...

I arrived in St. Catharines mid afternoon and went to Lakeside Park, where the "Neil Peart Pavilion" is now located. In my first visit there they didn't have a sign that says "Neil Peart Pavilion", but now it's complete! I met the Brazilian band Fleesh taking pictures on the site, as well as Martin Vasco, a MEGA Rush fan who was actually friends with Neil. 

After a few pictures on Lakeside Park I went to the Meridian Hall, and while waiting outside, I saw two faces that were part of Rush's visual identity: the guy who posed for Hugh Syme when he did the "Starman" logo, and one of the movers who was on the Moving Pictures cover. Both were having the time of their lives with so much attention!

The show started with the Devah Quartet, a violin trio, who did an instrumental version of 2112, with guitarist David Barrett helping them out. Yes, they played it in full!!! Fleesh was next, and they did The Pass and The Garden.

Coming up next was Brandon Dyke, who did an acoustic medley with deep cuts, including Tai Shan. A few videos with statements of Neil's friends were played on the big screen - Doane Perry from Jethro Tull and Kenny Aronoff gave great speeches. Jacob Moon did his version of Subdivisions and another song I can't remember - Time Stand Still or Mission...but he was great as well.

The night closed with two cover bands - Permanent Waves, from Toronto, and Solar Federation, from Pennsylvania. Both were great, but Solar Federation was on a whole different level...they played Necromancer, and the crowd went nuts!!

I didn't take many pictures from the shows, but here are a few - one in Lakeside Park, one with the guys from the covers, and the last one, with Neil's BMW!

20221022-160015.jpg

20221022-165944.jpg

20221022-180943.jpg

Thanks for the photos and reviews!  It sounds like it was a fun night.  I'm glad to hear that about Solar Federation- they play near us pretty often but I have never managed to make it out 

to see them.  I'll have to put it on my list after the holidays!  Love the pic of you with the cover guys!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Laurabw said:

I saw a bunch of posts and videos this afternoon.

so, I’m kind of torn on this whole thing about Geddy and Alex not being there. Even though now it’s a moot point as they say. I feel like there wouldn’t have been anything wrong with them coming out at the very beginning, saying a couple of words and welcoming everyone.  because after all, Rush was three guys and they are two of them. Or, maybe have had them at the end and said a few words and thanked everybody for being there. Because in that case everybody would have stayed for the whole thing. since they were all the band together, I don’t know that it would’ve been seen as being just about them if they had showed up. I never expected that they would play, I just thought they might say something. And if it had been publicized it would’ve sold out, and given that all of the money, or at least a lot of it, was going to charity, I don’t see how that would have been a bad thing. I mean, they knew him for decades and toured with him and sang his words. 

But no, they do not owe us anything, I agree. I just think it might’ve been nice if they had publicly remembered him with everyone that was there, even if only briefly. 

regardless, the last chapter in this sad saga is over.

Yes, a tribute would have been really nice. I was thinking more of people that expected them to play like they did at the Taylor Hawkins tribute; I thought that was expecting a little too much somehow.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Hey everyone.  It has been a while!  When the whole web site changed, I got locked out and kind of disappeared.  I just tried my old user name and password and it worked!  I was at the Night for Neil.  It was awesome.  There were a few things I would have done differently, but kudos to the organizers for finally pulling it off.  Just a note, the guitarist for Permanent Waves is in my band, so I had some inside knowledge of the behind the scenes happenings.  Geddy and Alex were there, but apparently there is some politics going on - I am not going to start rumors so enough said.  I thought the opening 2112 segment with the violins and electric cello was unreal.  Dave Barrett is a long time associate of the band and an amazing player.  I am biased but I thought Permanent Waves stole the show, only because they played some of the bigger hits.  The deep cuts are great for the fanatics (of which there were many), but the crowd reaction to Freewill and Spirit of Radio exceeded anything that Solar Federation got in response.  It was a nice mix of music and tributes.  of course they played the US army version of Time Stand Still - gets me every time.  It was nice that Neil's sister and brother came out at different points.  Really glad I kept my tickets for 2.5 years!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Syrinx said:

Hey everyone.  It has been a while!  When the whole web site changed, I got locked out and kind of disappeared.  I just tried my old user name and password and it worked!  I was at the Night for Neil.  It was awesome.  There were a few things I would have done differently, but kudos to the organizers for finally pulling it off.  Just a note, the guitarist for Permanent Waves is in my band, so I had some inside knowledge of the behind the scenes happenings.  Geddy and Alex were there, but apparently there is some politics going on - I am not going to start rumors so enough said.  I thought the opening 2112 segment with the violins and electric cello was unreal.  Dave Barrett is a long time associate of the band and an amazing player.  I am biased but I thought Permanent Waves stole the show, only because they played some of the bigger hits.  The deep cuts are great for the fanatics (of which there were many), but the crowd reaction to Freewill and Spirit of Radio exceeded anything that Solar Federation got in response.  It was a nice mix of music and tributes.  of course they played the US army version of Time Stand Still - gets me every time.  It was nice that Neil's sister and brother came out at different points.  Really glad I kept my tickets for 2.5 years!

Interesting information, and welcome back!  :wave:

I have watched this topic but had nothing to add, as I was unable to travel for any of the previously announced (proposed) dates.

But now it has happened. And it's done.

I wish I was there - absolutely.

I wonder why it was under-attended - of course. 

Syrinx - "I thought the opening 2112 segment with the violins and electric cello was unreal" - that must have sounded amazing!?

Rod in Toronto - "I saw two faces that were part of Rush's visual identity: the guy who posed for Hugh Syme when he did the "Starman" logo, and one of the movers who was on the Moving Pictures cover. Both were having the time of their lives with so much attention!"

I am trying to think of this in a positive way :rush:

If some moments and seeing people were helpful in celebrating our hero - isn't that what so many RUSH stories were about!

The whole process was challenging, of course because of the pandemic and all things "protocol" or "re-scheduled". But as the dedication of a public space for a musical hero continued, it felt awkward. Why? I don't know.

It just did. So many delays. 

I guess I need to say: No matter the end result of a dedication ceremony for what thousands, and thousands of fans wanted to see? There is now a place to visit.

And I will be there some day and feel that it is so very cool that the guy in my ear, all my life, can be appreciated by going there.

When I, or you, have time to get there.

Always. 

And isn't that what we wanted, all along?

On 1/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, Mara said:

How have I never heard of Rush Camp?

Neil should have his own postage stamp. I don't collect stamps, but I would buy a Neil Peart stamp.

And after all his park visits and detours, yes, he should have his own stamp.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:28 PM, Rod in Toronto said:

20221022-160015.jpg

20221022-165944.jpg

20221022-180943.jpg

Hey man, thanks so much for the kind words. It was so unbelievably amazing to be involved with this event, and it was great to meet Neil's family and so many Rush fans from around the world. It will be an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life. Glad you enjoyed our band! - Ffej, drummer for Solar Federation

• Like 2