So I want a muscle car....

Mara

Challenger Hellcat, Mustang, or Camaro? (Actually what I really want is the new Acura NSX, but it's way out of my price range).

I've always had sensible cars. Before I am too old to enjoy it I want a muscle car. My heart lies with the Hellcat, but I could possibly be swayed in the direction of the Mustang. The only thing that really appeals to me about the Camaro is that it would be fun to drive while playing The Dead Milkmen.

Of course there's the question of whether someone whose motto is "step on it, numbnuts, the caution light doesn't hold forever!" needs a car with that much power, but there's only one way to find out!

What say you, car aficionados?

• Like 1

I say that JohnRogers is gonna have a lot to say on this subject!

I like the Mustang, but I think the Dodge Challenger is a pretty compelling package. It looks great, several different V8's are offered (some cool colors too), and it seems to be the most "livable" current muscle car (spacious inside, no blind spots, large trunk, etc).

The purple is pretty bold

2019-Dodge-Challenger-RT-Scat-Pack-Widebody.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

• Like 3

No expert here but I would go with the Hellcat. From a practical point of view its much roomier and much cooler in my view. I am a bit bias because I have always said when I see one "when I grow up I'll have one of those" lol. Just my two cents..
  • Like 2

I say that JohnRogers is gonna have a lot to say on this subject!

I like the Mustang, but I think the Dodge Challenger is a pretty compelling package. It looks great, several different V8's are offered (some cool colors too), and it seems to be the most "livable" current muscle car (spacious inside, no blind spots, large trunk, etc).

The purple is pretty bold

2019-Dodge-Challenger-RT-Scat-Pack-Widebody.jpg?fit=around%7C875:492

Here's another vote for the Challenger. I feel that at least in terms of appearance, it is the best reissue.

The Camaro looks like it had a chopped top put on it. The body is right, but those windows are TOO small IMHO.

• Like 1

All of them are Trooper bait!

I like the looks of the Hellcat the best. Actually have a friend that has a pair of them from 2018. His and hers. One is lime green the other is red. Both of them have gotten tickets!

I like the looks of the Hellcat the best. Actually have a friend that has a pair of them from 2018. His and hers. One is lime green the other is red. Both of them have gotten tickets!

Looks are what drew me to the Challenger in the first place!

Rocket ship, lol, I know! I've had nothing but 4 cylinders all my driving life, so I know it's going to take some practice in the high school parking lot (not during school hours, naturally) to get used to a car that goes 0-60 when you breathe on the accelerator. I do have a heavy foot, though I have never had a speeding ticket. Actually I have had very few tickets at all.

One factor I have yet to consider is insurance - I have yet to look up rates for "fifty-one year old female, clean driving record, rocket-propelled land grenade".

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Go British....get a TVR Chimera...it'll put hairs on yer chest.

And holes in my bank account! British cars are, uh, not generally regarded as paragons of mechanical reliability. Every time I see someone in a Land Rover I think to myself, "well, there's someone with more money than brains."

• Like 1

And holes in my bank account! British cars are, uh, not generally regarded as paragons of mechanical reliability. Every time I see someone in a Land Rover I think to myself, "well, there's someone with more money than brains."

Interesting as over here American cars are regarded as a bit of a joke with regard to build quality and reliability.....

Interesting as over here American cars are regarded as a bit of a joke with regard to build quality and reliability.....

Interesting....American car manufacturers are mainly concerned with the North American market, which could explain less than stellar reviews from the overseas consumers. Possibly the same holds true for UK car companies - the citizenry gets the good stuff and everyone else is stuck with the afterthoughts!

Of course my favorite car is British....I love the Jaguar sport coupes. But I have known a few people who've owned them, and there was a lot of complaining about the amount of time the car spent in the mechanic's shop.

Are the Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro even available to UK buyers?

Not sure what price range you're in but. Mustang GT 500. 760hp. What about a vette?

Corvettes have just never turned my head; I don't know why. A previous employer had one and I got to drive it quite a bit. It was fun, and as a 20-something blonde I did get some looks! I think the new mid-engine ones have a bad case of fugly.

One thing I do like about the Challenger is that is has a pretty roomy trunk. I don't need much of a back seat since I have no kids, but trying to wrestle grocery bags or similar in and out of the back seat of a coupe would get old fast.

Looks are what drew me to the Challenger in the first place!

Rocket ship, lol, I know! I've had nothing but 4 cylinders all my driving life, so I know it's going to take some practice in the high school parking lot (not during school hours, naturally) to get used to a car that goes 0-60 when you breathe on the accelerator. I do have a heavy foot, though I have never had a speeding ticket. Actually I have had very few tickets at all.

One factor I have yet to consider is insurance - I have yet to look up rates for "fifty-one year old female, clean driving record, rocket-propelled land grenade".

The value of the car alone will probably mandate high Insurance costs. Let alone the performance potential.

I bet maintenance has the potential to take a few dollars as well.

Oh I’ll definitely be buying used. New car smell is nice and all, but it doesn’t last. Plus the Hellcat starts at around $72K. My budget is about $50K, possibly stretching to 60. I need to offload my house first though.
  • Like 1

I’ll remind that the non-hellcat V8 Challengers are still a blast. You can probably pick up a lightly used R/T, Scat Pack, or 392 for $35k. 450-500hp is still a rocketship by average standards Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

It's about, "look what I'm driving". Never mind it's 1 of the least reliable vehicles on the road.

Oh I’ll definitely be buying used. New car smell is nice and all, but it doesn’t last. Plus the Hellcat starts at around $72K. My budget is about $50K, possibly stretching to 60. I need to offload my house first though.

Good luck Mara. I will admit that a Hellcat fits you like a glove.

Thanks! Maybe I'll zip up to Summerville and give you a spin!

• Like 1

1579401283[/url'>' post='4720570']
1579394604' post='4720533']
1579392251[/url]' post='4720520']

Thanks! Maybe I'll zip up to Summerville and give you a spin!

Nothing would please me more! My phone number is the same!

Edited by Mr. JD

Not sure what price range you're in but. Mustang GT 500. 760hp. What about a vette?

Gave up on Vettes when Gen 6 came out in 2005. Haven't liked them since.