Rush Sales Up Over 2,000 Percent Following Death of Neil Peart

Rushman14

One might consider this good news but it still makes me sad.

In the wake of the death of drummer and lyricist Neil Peart, who passed away on Jan. 7 after a three-year battle with brain cancer, Rush’s music has seen a massive surge in streams and sales. According to Billboard, streams of the band’s songs rose 776 percent in the U.S. and sales have increased well over 2,000 percent.

While Peart passed away on Jan. 7, news of his death broke on Friday, Jan. 10. According to Nielsen Music/MRC Data, between Jan. 10–13 on-demand audio and video streams of Rush’s catalog increased to a combined 24.53 million, up over 776 percent -- compared to the previous three days – which garnered 2.8 million streams.

The power trio’s most-streamed song (between Jan. 10-13) was the 1981 Moving Pictures hit “Tom Sawyer,” with 2.83 million streams boosting some 305 percent compared to just 698,000 streams between Jan. 6-9.

Sales of Rush songs climbed over 2,300 percent to 19,000 from 1,000, while the group’s album sales leaped over 1,800 percent to more than 6,000 copies.

Billboard also reports that Peart’s death will have an impact on next week’s charts and will likely see their best-of collection The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974 – 1987 enter the Billboard 200 chart.

In other related news, Peart’s death sent fans scrambling to dig deeper into his lyrics. According to Billboard’s LyricFind U.S. and LyricFind Global charts (which ranks the most searched song lyrics), Rush dominates the top 25 with 23 songs in the global chart and 18 out of 25 spots on the U.S. chart. It’s no surprise the top search was for “Tom Sawyer,” but other songs on the list include “Limelight,” “The Trees,” “The Temples of Syrinx,” “The Garden,” “Losing It,” “Closer to the Heart,” and 1984’s “Afterimage,” which has the chill-inducing opening line “Suddenly, you were gone / From all the lives you left your mark upon.”

Read More: Rush Sales Up Over 2,000 Percent Following Death of Neil Peart | https://loudwire.com/rush-sales-up-over-2000-percent-death-neil-peart/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Like 6

Why am I always surprised when the popularity of Rush is evident? Sort of like being Canadian, watching a sit-com and some reference of Canada is made and I react "Woo hoo!" Of course I know how popular Rush is, and around the world. I remember thinking about how the R40 Tour didn't stretch across the oceans and how many disappointed fans there would be. (But respectfully, they seemed to understand). I also searched for lyrics lately. My vinyl records are older albums and easier to read, everything after is CD and the jackets are too small to read (yes, soon I will have my first pair of reading glasses). I own every studio and most other albums, I enjoy selecting different albums for different days and moods :) Of course sales increased, surely they do after rock stars pass away. But to see the numbers above, and the numbers previous - way to go fellow Rushians! - it still surprised me. The radio plays so little, all of it is with friends and personal listening. But isn't it always so great?!! Well, then, a tiny sliver of goodness might be the increased revenue those invested can receive. (My "Enter Key" does not like these forums, text is always a block of text). Sadly...commerce leans its weight on the scale of circumstance...but with our beloved Trio, only goodness can come of it. It's their way :) Edit: I see thiz above already suggested a small silver lining. Goodness, two small silver linings? I can retract mine, because none of this feels good, just sad. Edited by Bahamas
  • Like 1

Why am I always surprised when the popularity of Rush is evident? Sort of like being Canadian, watching a sit-com and some reference of Canada is made and I react "Woo hoo!" Of course I know how popular Rush is, and around the world. I remember thinking about how the R40 Tour didn't stretch across the oceans and how many disappointed fans there would be. (But respectfully, they seemed to understand). I also searched for lyrics lately. My vinyl records are older albums and easier to read, everything after is CD and the jackets are too small to read (yes, soon I will have my first pair of reading glasses). I own every studio and most other albums, I enjoy selecting different albums for different days and moods :) Of course sales increased, surely they do after rock stars pass away. But to see the numbers above, and the numbers previous - way to go fellow Rushians! - it still surprised me. The radio plays so little, all of it is with friends and personal listening. But isn't it always so great?!! Well, then, a tiny sliver of goodness might be the increased revenue those invested can receive. (My "Enter Key" does not like these forums, text is always a block of text). Sadly...commerce leans its weight on the scale of circumstance...but with our beloved Trio, only goodness can come of it. It's their way :) Edit: I see thiz above already suggested a small silver lining. Goodness, two small silver linings? I can retract mine, because none of this feels good, just sad.

I don't think the sales uptick is from fellow Rushians - haven't we already bought every album by now? :)

• Like 6

I imagine the Rush documentary is getting a decent uptick of views on Netflix.

love your picture of King's X, I wonder what the other power trio thinks of the death of Neil

Doug Pinnick posted RIP Neil Peart on his FB page the day it was announced.

• Like 2

Why am I always surprised when the popularity of Rush is evident? Sort of like being Canadian, watching a sit-com and some reference of Canada is made and I react "Woo hoo!" Of course I know how popular Rush is, and around the world. I remember thinking about how the R40 Tour didn't stretch across the oceans and how many disappointed fans there would be. (But respectfully, they seemed to understand). I also searched for lyrics lately. My vinyl records are older albums and easier to read, everything after is CD and the jackets are too small to read (yes, soon I will have my first pair of reading glasses). I own every studio and most other albums, I enjoy selecting different albums for different days and moods :) Of course sales increased, surely they do after rock stars pass away. But to see the numbers above, and the numbers previous - way to go fellow Rushians! - it still surprised me. The radio plays so little, all of it is with friends and personal listening. But isn't it always so great?!! Well, then, a tiny sliver of goodness might be the increased revenue those invested can receive. (My "Enter Key" does not like these forums, text is always a block of text). Sadly...commerce leans its weight on the scale of circumstance...but with our beloved Trio, only goodness can come of it. It's their way :) Edit: I see thiz above already suggested a small silver lining. Goodness, two small silver linings? I can retract mine, because none of this feels good, just sad.

I don't think the sales uptick is from fellow Rushians - haven't we already bought every album by now? :)

Some people will be buying the remasters ( I have all albums but not necessarily the remasters) and/or the versions mastered specifically for iTunes.

• Like 1

that's what I was thinking, I have everything worth gedding and I'm not shelling out for compilation "Best of" stuff and at this moment I have no appetite to by anything from Rush.com - seems a little off somehow. Nonetheless - good for anyone that was curious about Rush music and Neil's passing prompted them to check his work out. Likely I've done that with other artists although I can't recall just who atm.

I'm happy to hear more people may at least discover Rush through this tragedy. Some of my friends tried to gatekeep against the "fairweather fans" who are trying to seem with it by following a trend. But I dont care. Either it sticks or it doesn't. I only discovered the music of Dio through his death. As with Slayer through Jeff's death. Or Prince.

Seeing so many musicians I respect mourn for another inspired me to dig deeper. I'm glad the massive outpouring for Neil has likely done the same.

• Like 2

Sales of Rush songs climbed over 2,300 percent to 19,000 from 1,000, while the group’s album sales leaped over 1,800 percent to more than 6,000 copies.

Billboard also reports that Peart’s death will have an impact on next week’s charts and will likely see their best-of collection The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974 – 1987 enter the Billboard 200 chart.

Rush are in the Billboard top 50! As projected, The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974 – 1987 re-entered the Billboard 200 this week. At #45!

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

• Like 3

Rush are in the Billboard top 50! As projected, The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974 – 1987 re-entered the Billboard 200 this week. At #45!

https://www.billboar...s/billboard-200

Why that compilation? Because it's distilled 1974-1987 on one disc? Curious as to why that particular one.