Stay positive

Red3angel

Stay positive is all I would like to see all of the Rush fans do .ignore all the jerks trying to get attention and make money off of this. This music will live forever. It’s OK to mourn and feel sad but just think what this man did with these two other fine gentlemen. If there is intelligent life in the universe they will reach us but only because of rush
  • Like 7

Stay positive is all I would like to see all of the Rush fans do .ignore all the jerks trying to get attention and make money off of this. This music will live forever. It’s OK to mourn and feel sad but just think what this man did with these two other fine gentlemen. If there is intelligent life in the universe they will reach us but only because of rush

Your last statement made me chuckle.

But honestly, I agree, there’s no way that anyone wants to stay down, and just drowning in sadness, as sad as it all is. I am as grief-stricken as anyone else, but have to keep in mind that with all of us, who Neil kept at a distance and very real and rightful reasons for doing so- his body of work, in audio and in print, is what we’re left with. And all of that is to be treasured, for sure.

• Like 3

It's not as difficult to ignore as you would think.

• Like 4

XM Deep Tracks has been keeping me in a positive mood. Knowing the music is seeing a 700% up tick in sales is nice because there are new people hearing what we love. Some will cherish it and enjoy it like we do, that can only be good.
  • Like 4

Why on Earth would we need to "stay positive"?.....unless he was a member of your family then there is no need to be overly upset about this.

This is where I am with Neil's death. It's sad the way his life ended and I was sad for a couple days after it happened and that was it. I never got into this negative state of mind where I needed to be told to stay positive and things will get better. I take solace in the joy of the musical legacy Neil left behind.

• Like 2

Why on Earth would we need to "stay positive"?.....unless he was a member of your family then there is no need to be overly upset about this.

This is where I am with Neil's death. It's sad the way his life ended and I was sad for a couple days after it happened and that was it. I never got into this negative state of mind where I needed to be told to stay positive and things will get better. I take solace in the joy of the musical legacy Neil left behind.

It all depends on what kind of connection someone feels to Neil. I don't think it's odd to feel a strong connection despite not having had direct two-way communication with Neil. For some people (including me), it feels akin to losing a family member or close friend.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 4

I opened this thread thinking it was going to be one of those simpering "he's in a better place" platitudes too many people offer up (without having been asked) when someone dies. Thankfully it's not that!

I don't have any trouble ignoring the profiteering; I am rarely on eBay and then only to check saved searches.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

It all depends on what kind of connection someone feels to Neil. I don't think it's odd to feel a strong connection despite not having had direct two-way communication with Neil. For some people (including me), it feels akin to losing a family member or close friend.

I completely understand that. Neil as well as Geddy and Alex did become like "friends" to us through their music. But what has helped me with this is that Rush had been retired for a few years before Neil passed. So, to me it was like hearing about the passing of an old friend you weren't in contact with for some time. It's sad to hear that they're gone but the hurt is much less because I wasn't as connected to them in their final years. If Rush was still active this news would have hit me much harder than it did.

I completely understand that. Neil as well as Geddy and Alex did become like "friends" to us through their music. But what has helped me with this is that Rush had been retired for a few years before Neil passed. So, to me it was like hearing about the passing of an old friend you weren't in contact with for some time. It's sad to hear that they're gone but the hurt is much less because I wasn't as connected to them in their final years. If Rush was still active this news would have hit me much harder than it did.

I try to avoid dwelling too much on the negative, but, for many of us, I think our sadness is increased because of the tragedies Neil went through two decades ago, the relatively young age at which he passed without the opportunity to have a proper retirement, the nature of the illness he had, the wife and young daughter and bandmates he leaves behind, etc. Especially for those of us who retain an idealistic bent, there's a sense in which these things seem rather unjust, relative to what he contributed to the world through his art and the example of how he lived his life.

• Like 5

When anyone we have a longtime connection with dies, it’s often an uncomfortable reminder of our own mortality.

While none of us here actually knew Neil personally, there are so many who felt that connection through the music and Neil’s writing. For me it’s a reminder of youth that somehow seems not so distant; my first Rush show was p/g and it seems like yesterday. But in fact it was well over 30 years ago.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 8

When anyone we have a longtime connection with dies, it’s often an uncomfortable reminder of our own mortality.

While none of us here actually knew Neil personally, there are so many who felt that connection through the music and Neil’s writing. For me it’s a reminder of youth that somehow seems not so distant; my first Rush show was p/g and it seems like yesterday. But in fact it was well over 30 years ago.

That’s exactly what I said to my wife the other day. Being a fan for their entire career, it seemed like they were always in my life. The combination of them retiring, Neil passing, and my worsening MS, I’ve never felt more mortal.

• Like 3

For me, the mortality aspect isn’t a factor, since I’ve had plenty of reminders of that for years.

It's a terrible tragedy when someone passes on that has meant (and still means) so much to other's.

However what's more difficult is that I (like many other's) consider January one of the worst month's of the year in general. See here and here.

As I'm writing this post, today is also 'Blue Monday' (see here).

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Another positive is that Olivia, while being very young, was old enough to have memories of her father for the rest of her life. If this would've happened when she was 2 years old, she would'nt have been old enough to remember him. She'll live the rest of her life hearing about his legacy and who he was. Olivia will be old and gray and people will still be listening to Rush and new people will be discovering their music for the first time.
  • Like 3

The overwhelming human tragedy here is that a young daughter has lost her father, a wife has lost her husband, parents have lost their son and siblings have lost their brother. We grieve for our loss, but theirs is by far the greater.

Neil Peart. What comes to mind. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, humility, compassion — all things that make a damn fine human being. The talent was on loan from a higher power, but he had the spirit and capacity for that to be bestowed upon him. Thank you Neil.

Alex and Geddy, thank you for the opportunity you gave him to follow his passion. We are forever grateful.

• Like 5

The overwhelming human tragedy here is that a young daughter has lost her father, a wife has lost her husband, parents have lost their son and siblings have lost their brother. We grieve for our loss, but theirs is by far the greater.

Neil Peart. What comes to mind. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, humility, compassion — all things that make a damn fine human being. The talent was on loan from a higher power, but he had the spirit and capacity for that to be bestowed upon him. Thank you Neil.

Alex and Geddy, thank you for the opportunity you gave him to follow his passion. We are forever grateful.

Superbly said. Seconded.

Exactly. And it makes you confront the fact that people who have already suffered greatly and have contributed a ton to the world can just get dished another helping of adversity for no reason.

TBH, I wanted to go online to find one of those Tama banners from the MP days. But I knew that the already expansive and rare things would be priced out of my budget. So I didn't bother.

The music and my concert photos will have to do.

Stay strong folks. Remember, smile - because it happened. No one can take your memories away.

On a positive note, Neil lived a very full life that very few will ever replicate. Gone much too early but what a life with great success, great tragedy and great travels across all parts of the globe.
  • Like 2

On a positive note, Neil lived a very full life that very few will ever replicate. Gone much too early but what a life with great success, great tragedy and great travels across all parts of the globe.

It's a shame that so many people focus on just 3 of his 67 years.....3 years that happened 20 years ago.

• Like 1

It's a shame that so many people focus on just 3 of his 67 years.....3 years that happened 20 years ago.

Not sure what you mean? Are you referring to the tragedy part? if so, can't say I was "concentrating" on anything - just generalizing his great life overall.

Edited by Syrinx