Sully Erna interview on Neil

78jazz

Doane Perry, Jethro Tull drummer and close friend of Neil’s, wrote something yesterday that paints a more positive perspective on his friend’s final few years. I’d post a link if I could but I found it on Facebook.

I posted the link and text in the Tributes to Neil thread.

Nice one :cheers:

• Like 2

My google feed had a headline yesterday regarding Neil and all I saw was something about a wheelchair. I sensed it would not be something I wanted to read about, so didn't. I assume it was this interview and it seems from comments here, I made the right choice for me. My mother in law is in her final time with lung cancer, and it's going to be very painful for our family. Just my emotions this week with Neil's passing, whom I respected and who's art means a great deal to me, but is someone I never even met, tells me I am nowhere near prepared, but I also don't think anyone really can be.
  • Like 1

I'm wondering if Sally got confused with Neil was hurt when his foot was hurting due to riding his Motorcycle through the rain, where he had a hard time standing and playing this was before or around the Toronto's shows that maybe Sally was referring to (It can be found on the Time Stand Still DVD?) :finbar: :huh: Edited by BlairC45

Its been years since I've been on this forum so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

The life expectancy for Neil's form of brain cancer is usually a few months to a year. That he survived for 3.5 years is remarkable and very rare. Unfortunately, the trade off for living longer with the disease is having to endure a diminishing quality of life much longer too. It pains me to think what Neil & his family went through during his fight but there is comfort knowing that Neil maximized his life to the fullest.

I don't believe Erna meant any harm with his comments about Neil's condition and would take them back if he realized they were hurtful to others. He probably learned from Michael Mosbach that the R40 tour wouldn't have any European dates because Neil was battling some health issues. Not knowing how aggressive this type of cancer is, he likely assumed the "health issues" was some how related to the cancer. Not true, obviously.

Actually, for glioblastoma, the median survival is a little more than a year, and survival to 3.5 years is uncommon, but not rare. Some people have survived well over 10 years and appear to be cured, but that is indeed rare. I agree that living longer with a poor and diminishing quality of life isn't necessarily preferable.

He just saying what happened, from his point of view. I’d have an issue if he was lying, but he seems to be telling the truth, as awful as it is.

We have to consider the context of this interview. I don’t think he’s being disrespectful and it’s hard to see the line between what is heartfelt and what is publicity for a new album. These guys are musicians - they gotta promote.

Apparently there ws or is a photo floating around of Neil during his chemo. Apparently a private moment that leaked.

I haven't seen it, don't want to see it. But whoever leaked that, IMO is another c***.

• Like 1

Kevin J. Anderson

17 hrs ·

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.

Kevin Anderson's story posted on the tribute thread certainly suggests Neil was still talking and walking until quite a late stage in his illness.

• Like 4

Kevin J. Anderson

17 hrs ·

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.

Kevin Anderson's story posted on the tribute thread certainly suggests Neil was still talking and walking until quite a late stage in his illness.

Perhaps he caught Neil on a good day too. If he didn't have a treatment that day he could have easily had more energy than on day he did.

As for what Sully said, I don't believe he had any bad intent with what he said or that he was crossing a line by saying it. He probably figured since the man had died it was ok to let out some info he knew or heard about from others in the music world. Honestly, someone not being able to walk or talk during the final stages of cancer is not uncommon.

My google feed had a headline yesterday regarding Neil and all I saw was something about a wheelchair. I sensed it would not be something I wanted to read about, so didn't. I assume it was this interview and it seems from comments here, I made the right choice for me. My mother in law is in her final time with lung cancer, and it's going to be very painful for our family. Just my emotions this week with Neil's passing, whom I respected and who's art means a great deal to me, but is someone I never even met, tells me I am nowhere near prepared, but I also don't think anyone really can be.

Maybe you should read this, it’s not the grim image people would naturally associate

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/108923-doane-perry-neil-really-had-no-pain/#entry4719961

He just saying what happened, from his point of view. I’d have an issue if he was lying, but he seems to be telling the truth, as awful as it is.

We have to consider the context of this interview. I don’t think he’s being disrespectful and it’s hard to see the line between what is heartfelt and what is publicity for a new album. These guys are musicians - they gotta promote.

I am not going to read this, I already heard enough about it from some other folks. I think the guy is just classless and a jerk. Let him get his promos another way. Why can't they just leave it be? :rage:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I am not going to read this, I already heard enough about it from some other folks. I think the guy is just classless and a jerk. Let him get his promos another way. Why can't they just leave it be? :rage:

Exactly! He and b..mouth are getting, and rightly so, lambasted in the comment section of that article article

• Like 3

Of any of the active percussionists who have said things, I would believe Mike Portnoy before anyone else. https://www.loudersound.com/news/mike-portnoy-on-the-death-of-rushs-neil-peart-i-broke-down-crying

I'm assuming Donna Halper's tweet from this morning is referring to this:

https://twitter.com/...615659397029898

It might be a host of other things, but I imagine that's on the list. I amended my post to say if this guy is truly grieving like many others, he might not have been thinking clearly about what he was saying, even though he should have been aware he was being a) broadcast and b) recorded. I think it's the family's call to provide details. I'm sure Geddy and Alex will only say what Neil's family wants shared.

Edited by skyswing
  • Like 1

Exactly! He and b..mouth are getting, and rightly so, lambasted in the comment section of that article article

To be fair, most commentors on blabbermouth lambast every article posted.

I'm assuming Donna Halper's tweet from this morning is referring to this:

https://twitter.com/...615659397029898

It might be a host of other things, but I imagine that's on the list. I amended my post to say if this guy is truly grieving like many others, he might not have been thinking clearly about what he was saying, even though he should have been aware he was being a) broadcast and b) recorded. I think it's the family's call to provide details. I'm sure Geddy and Alex will only say what Neil's family wants shared.

she does respond in that tweet that the rumours of him not being able to talk are false

• Like 4

"B....mouth" would be...who?

Blabbermouth. The music news site that posted the story.

Blabbermouth. The music news site that posted the story.

Ah. For a moment I thought - surely not Bill Banasciewicz (or however the f**k he spells it)!!!

It's easy to see who Neil's real friends were. The people trying to show that they knew the most are just looking for attention.

I think Doane Perry would be the exception. He was most definitely a close friend of Neil's and I think he posted what he did to reassure the legions of fans that Neil didn't spend the last 3-1/2 years of his life in unimaginable physical pain. I appreciate Doane's insight for what it is, and I don't think he could be lumped in with the rest of the attention whores.

• Like 9