Sully Erna interview on Neil

78jazz

It seems odd to me that if he was in a wheelchair and unable to speak a year ago, unless he never left his house or went under the cover of darkness, someone would have seen him and took pictures. It's also odd that if he was that bad off a year ago, he would have lived another year.
  • Like 3

What a stupid asshole!!

Yeah...for me, this comes across as "look at me!"

Not cool.

That's exactly what I thought too! He should have had enough time to think about his statement beforehand.

• Like 4

I think Erna's full of shit on both claims, particularly the end of the tour one. I expect a retraction soon.

I agree.

What a punk.

Some people like to look like they know this or that or as if they have a keen intuition. More often than not, it’s just bs to try and make themselves look knowledgeable or hip. f**k ‘em

• Like 6

It's evident from these interviews in late 2015/early 2016 that Geddy was hopeful that, in given time, Neil might come around to possibly recording/performing again:

(32:00)

So Neil probably hadn't been diagnosed yet...

• Like 3

From the comments I've read elsewhere he's certainly managed to "sully" his reputation with this.

That's the problem when a massive story like this becomes public, there are always some people who can't resist saying "look what I knew".

• Like 2

Its been years since I've been on this forum so I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

The life expectancy for Neil's form of brain cancer is usually a few months to a year. That he survived for 3.5 years is remarkable and very rare. Unfortunately, the trade off for living longer with the disease is having to endure a diminishing quality of life much longer too. It pains me to think what Neil & his family went through during his fight but there is comfort knowing that Neil maximized his life to the fullest.

I don't believe Erna meant any harm with his comments about Neil's condition and would take them back if he realized they were hurtful to others. He probably learned from Michael Mosbach that the R40 tour wouldn't have any European dates because Neil was battling some health issues. Not knowing how aggressive this type of cancer is, he likely assumed the "health issues" was some how related to the cancer. Not true, obviously.

• Like 3

I could have lived out the rest of my days quite happily without having read that interview. Knowing what I know of glioblastoma, I am already quite aware of its effects on those stricken with it - it is a particularly cruel form of cancer. I've got an active imagination but so far had been successful in not allowing my mind to "go there" with regards to Neil.

I'm going to give Erna the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant no harm. However, it's not his first rodeo with the media and he should know to measure his words.

• Like 2

Doane Perry, Jethro Tull drummer and close friend of Neil’s, wrote something yesterday that paints a more positive perspective on his friend’s final few years. I’d post a link if I could but I found it on Facebook.

I posted the link and text in the Tributes to Neil thread.

• Like 4