"Riding The Golden Lion" by Peart ... Admin/Members question about distributing

dexter

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/peartridingthegoldenlion.htm

"I learned that I would be sharing a room for the trip with a young guy named xxxxx, a Bronx New Yorker of about my own age who lives in London now, working for NBC Sports. Having myself just spent the whole summer in London working on the album, plus having spent a lot of time there in the past, we had a bit in common already. North Americans in London share many frustrations."

I'm the guy who shared a room with Neil in 1985 and have a complete PDF file of the "Riding The Golden Lion". It is more of journal than a book. I've never shared it with anyone because I thought it as private. Now that he has passed and considering all the love expressed for him I was wondering if it is something people would like to read and even if it is appropriate to distribute.

When we first met in at the start of the trip I didn't know who RUSH was. When we introduced ourselves he said he was a drummer with a rock band called RUSH. I said I think I've heard of it. My brother owns a bar in the Bronx. Have you played there? He said no, places like Madison Square Garden. I said I'm sorry I don't know the band. I think he like that I didn't know him and we never talked about the band, music or celebrity again.

I can tell you that at the time he avoided being the center of attention. We would bike into closed Chinese Cities where people haven't seen westerners (no TV at the time). They would surround us and just watch. Neil would slip away to outside the crowd. Later in life he was hounded by rabid fans and he had to go into semi hiding when traveling etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here are the questions:

Administrator - If I sent you the PDF file would you post it to your site so people could download it?

Most importantly:

Administrators/Members - is it proper to distribute this to the public? Would you like to read it?

• Like 8

http://www.2112.net/...egoldenlion.htm

"I learned that I would be sharing a room for the trip with a young guy named xxxxx, a Bronx New Yorker of about my own age who lives in London now, working for NBC Sports. Having myself just spent the whole summer in London working on the album, plus having spent a lot of time there in the past, we had a bit in common already. North Americans in London share many frustrations."

I'm the guy who shared a room with Neil in 1985 and have a complete PDF file of the "Riding The Golden Lion". It is more of journal than a book. I've never shared it with anyone because I thought it as private. Now that he has passed and considering all the love expressed for him I was wondering if it is something people would like to read and even if it is appropriate to distribute.

When we first met in at the start of the trip I didn't know who RUSH was. When we introduced ourselves he said he was a drummer with a rock band called RUSH. I said I think I've heard of it. My brother owns a bar in the Bronx. Have you played there? He said no, places like Madison Square Garden. I said I'm sorry I don't know the band. I think he like that I didn't know him and we never talked about the band, music or celebrity again.

I can tell you that at the time he avoided being the center of attention. We would bike into closed Chinese Cities where people haven't seen westerners (no TV at the time). They would surround us and just watch. Neil would slip away to outside the crowd. Later in life he was hounded by rabid fans and he had to go into semi hiding when traveling etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here are the questions:

Administrator - If I sent you the PDF file would you post it to your site so people could download it?

Most importantly:

Administrators/Members - is it proper to distribute this to the public? Would you like to read it?

We admins are discussing this. I ask that you not give it to anyone in the meantime.

I don't know how you'd go about obtaining such, but my feeling is that approval should come from Neil's family. I know it wasn't published and therefore I am unsure as to how murky the copyright waters are, but it was Neil's intellectual property.

Good on you for doing the right thing by asking and for NOT attempting to turn a dirty profit from it.

• Like 3

I’m sure it’s a copyrighted work therefore any kind of distribution needs approval of some kind. Kudos to you for not just putting it up for grabs. People intended to have a copy probably already have it. Like 73, I wonder why Power Windows only posted 7 pages. I personally don’t think any of it should be posted.
  • Like 1

I don't know how you'd go about obtaining such, but my feeling is that approval should come from Neil's family. I know it wasn't published and therefore I am unsure as to how murky the copyright waters are, but it was Neil's intellectual property.

Good on you for doing the right thing by asking and for NOT attempting to turn a dirty profit from it.

agreed

Dexter, I have some questions.

Can I assume this is a copyrighted work?

Do you know how Power Windows got a copy of it, and why did they choose to transcribe only the first seven pages?

My knowledge of copyrights is that if a person writes anything they have an innate copyright.

I checked the PDF and there is no legal copyright noted e.g. "copyright 1985 Neil Pert"

I don't know anything about the other site.

• Like 1

How did you get it? Did he give it to everyone in the group? If it's a shared correspondence then it's yours do with as you want and I am sure he appreciates your restraint. You are also not publishing the material for profit. But, again it goes back to how you got it and if it's copyrighted, which I highly doubt. Does anyone know who to talk to at 2112.net about there excerpts?
  • Like 1

Upon further thought, as much as I would love to read the rest of it, there is a reason Neil never published it or included it in any of his books. So even if copyright law doesn't prohibit the recipients from distributing pdfs, at the very least I would be inclined to honor Neil's wishes unless correspondence from his family or the attorneys handling the estate indicate otherwise. Just my thoughts. Neil was so intensely private, yet he gave so much of himself in his music, books, and blog. I would ask myself, "what would Neil want me to do with this?".
  • Like 4

Upon further thought, as much as I would love to read the rest of it, there is a reason Neil never published it or included it in any of his books. So even if copyright law doesn't prohibit the recipients from distributing pdfs, at the very least I would be inclined to honor Neil's wishes unless correspondence from his family or the attorneys handling the estate indicate otherwise. Just my thoughts. Neil was so intensely private, yet he gave so much of himself in his music, books, and blog. I would ask myself, "what would Neil want me to do with this?".

Those are all good points. And that is why I have never given it out to anyone. There is nothing intimate or negative in the 38 pages. I'm sure his other books were more revealing.

Final line from the journal:

"Oh, what was my "Golden Buddha" Award? Well Patrick presented me with the "James Dean Rebel without a Cause" award, for "stoicism in the fields and at the top of Tai-shan". You figure it out."

----------------------------------------------------------

Then and now I think I captured something.

Edited by dexter
  • Like 2

I’m sure it’s a copyrighted work therefore any kind of distribution needs approval of some kind. Kudos to you for not just putting it up for grabs. People intended to have a copy probably already have it. Like 73, I wonder why Power Windows only posted 7 pages. I personally don’t think any of it should be posted.

Those are all good points. And that is why I have never given it out to anyone. There is nothing intimate or negative in the 38 pages. I'm sure his other books were more revealing.

Dexter,

The Rush Forum is inclined to agree with Mara and JD. It says right there on Power Windows: Privately Published. The fact that Neil has since passed away doesn't change the fact that it was never meant for public consumption -- whether it's copyrighted or not, paid for or given away from free. Neil wrote it for a select few people, and it should stay that way.

You said it yourself: "I've never shared it with anyone because I thought it as private." That sounds right, and that hasn't changed.

So, officially, please don't post or distribute the book on The Rush Forum, in part or in full, in any printed or digital form, either in the forums or through PM or email. And to the other members, please don't contact Dexter for a copy. The Rush Forum is treating this as a copyrighted work, and one that was intended to remain private. Power Windows has the first seven pages, we'll just have to make do with that. The rest of the book was not meant for our eyes, even if there's nothing particularly revealing in those pages. We appreciate that you asked permission first. That was the classy thing to do. :cheers:

• Like 10

I believe I read those passages before.

However:

It's a copyrighted work. As much as I'd like to read the whole thing, it's not really legal or ethical to distribute the entire work, as good as your intentions are. So do your late ex-roommate a solid and let his estate decide what to do with the work.

We had to study copyright quite a bit in library school and, just fyi, you pretty much have to consider that any unique work is under copyright unless a person can prove it is not. Fair use would apply, meaning if someone were teaching a class on Neil's writing or doing scholarly research on his writing or trips they could make a copy for themselves; but distributing on a website might be a different story. Our admins. are wise in their decision. :)

If you wanted to seek permission for doing something with it in the future, I'm not sure how one would contact Neil's estate. Do you do Instagram? It sounds dumb, but Neil's good friend and riding buddy, Michael Mosbach, has an account there where he replies to people from time to time. It is on Instagram @praetorian_animus Maybe you could post a comment or request to him there for him to contact you? I dunno. How wonderful for you to have had the friend, and the memories from those times.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

^^^ This

I’m sure there’s an intended reason it’s not widely available after 35 years.

• Like 1

We had to study copyright quite a bit in library school and, just fyi, you pretty much have to consider that any unique work is under copyright unless a person can prove it is not. Fair use would apply, meaning if someone were teaching a class on Neil's writing or doing scholarly research on his writing or trips they could make a copy for themselves; but distributing on a website might be a different story. The decision by the admins. sounds wise.

Blueschica is right; copyright is essentially the recognition that the work is the author's intellectual property, and it does not have to be asserted to be in force. Unless there are other factors -- like somebody paid you to write it (work product) -- it belongs to the author (and thus the author's estate) from the moment of "publication" (in this case, the MS distribution).

As interesting as I think it would be, I'll wait for his heirs to make it available, and I'll add an unnecessary and redundant "good call" to the admins.

• Like 2

^^^ This

I’m sure there’s an intended reason it’s not widely available after 35 years.

IIRC Neil said he didn't publish his earlier travelogues, instead sharing them with a few select people until he felt he had sufficiently honed his craft.

• Like 3

Dexter,

The Rush Forum is inclined to agree with Mara and JD. It says right there on Power Windows: Privately Published. The fact that Neil has since passed away doesn't change the fact that it was never meant for public consumption -- whether it's copyrighted or not, paid for or given away from free. Neil wrote it for a select few people, and it should stay that way.

You said it yourself: "I've never shared it with anyone because I thought it as private." That sounds right, and that hasn't changed.

So, officially, please don't post or distribute the book on The Rush Forum, in part or in full, in any printed or digital form, either in the forums or through PM or email. And to the other members, please don't contact Dexter for a copy. The Rush Forum is treating this as a copyrighted work, and one that was intended to remain private. Power Windows has the first seven pages, we'll just have to make do with that. The rest of the book was not meant for our eyes, even if there's nothing particularly revealing in those pages. We appreciate that you asked permission first. That was the classy thing to do. :cheers:

I'm with this guy!

I think is speaks well for the members here for the decision. I won't distribute it.

I was going to post the entry about walking up Tai-Shan since a song came from it but for some reason I can't copy from the file I have.

Take care.

• Like 3