Did You Prepare Yourself For The Possibility Of One Of Band Members Passing?

presto123

I have to admit that I'm still in kind of the denial phase about it. Like.... how is it that he's gone? Really? Can't be.

Even though I know that he is gone, and this it is real.

The mind is a funny thing that it allows those 2 perceptions to co-exist.

• Like 1

Come on now, this is getting a bit silly...you prepare yourself for the death of a close family member or a lifelong friend, even your dog, but not someone you don't even know......

I don't think it is necessarily out of bounds to love a band/artist so much that when they get up there in age you lament the fact that one day they will no longer be with us

I am a huge Paul McCartney fan, and am of the mindset where I know in my lifetime we will see the headline "Paul McCartney passed away" and that inspires me to take in every note and every new song on his new albums and concerts that much more - and appreciate them

• Like 3

Come on now, this is getting a bit silly...you prepare yourself for the death of a close family member or a lifelong friend, even your dog, but not someone you don't even know......

I completely agree.

I've found this news difficult to process, and I'm not even sure I can explain what I mean by that - something to do with what the band meant to me when I was younger, a sense of finality, an oddness that something that meant so much to me has been so irrevocably damaged and broken without anything actually changing in a practical sense. I'm not sure. Perhaps the best way I can put it is that it feels like a significant moment. The nature of something that's been part of me since I was 16 has changed forever. Whatever Rush is to me, it's different now.

But while I think it's really sad that Neil had to cope with this terminal illness so soon after his retirement, and that his loved ones have to do without him, I'm not one of them. I haven't been hurt or upset by this. I'm certainly not mourning.

No offence whatever to those of you who have taken it hard. But I don't get preparing for the death of someone you don't know, and haven't been in touch with in any sense for years.

By the way I do believe this is my landmark 400th post here. I believe I joined up in 2004, so it's taken a while.

That's a great song in your sig, by the way.

No, and not their death either. (why do so many humans have such a hard time even typing that word?)

"either"?

I should have put "death" in quotes, as I was pointing out that a lot of people have such a fear of death that they won't even type it.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

I don't think it is necessarily out of bounds to love a band/artist so much that when they get up there in age you lament the fact that one day they will no longer be with us

I am a huge Paul McCartney fan, and am of the mindset where I know in my lifetime we will see the headline "Paul McCartney passed away" and that inspires me to take in every note and every new song on his new albums and concerts that much more - and appreciate them

Sir Paul probably will be the hardest hit for me outside of Rush. Gilmour and Buffett will be close behind.

• Like 1

I completely agree.

I've found this news difficult to process, and I'm not even sure I can explain what I mean by that - something to do with what the band meant to me when I was younger, a sense of finality, an oddness that something that meant so much to me has been so irrevocably damaged and broken without anything actually changing in a practical sense. I'm not sure. Perhaps the best way I can put it is that it feels like a significant moment. The nature of something that's been part of me since I was 16 has changed forever. Whatever Rush is to me, it's different now.

But while I think it's really sad that Neil had to cope with this terminal illness so soon after his retirement, and that his loved ones have to do without him, I'm not one of them. I haven't been hurt or upset by this. I'm certainly not mourning.

No offence whatever to those of you who have taken it hard. But I don't get preparing for the death of someone you don't know, and haven't been in touch with in any sense for years.

By the way I do believe this is my landmark 400th post here. I believe I joined up in 2004, so it's taken a while.

That's a great song in your sig, by the way.

No, and not their death either. (why do so many humans have such a hard time even typing that word?)

"either"?

I should have put "death" in quotes, as I was pointing out that a lot of people have such a fear of death that they won't even type it.

"fear"?

I might have to take off work the day I read that headline. Macca / Beatles rule my musical sphere. It will be hard.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Sir Paul probably will be the hardest hit for me outside of Rush. Gilmour and Buffett will be close behind.

It's all going to be rough everyone. We all love music.

I cried on my way to Safeway when I found out Stevie Ray died.

Gary Moore too.

"Losing It" to Neil is my worst one when it comes to mentor, inspiration and instructor.

Going forward, I will actually get stronger.

"We are only immortal for a limited time."

I still have my awesome parents.

I am sooooooooo lucky!!!!!

"Roll The Bones!"

We all turn to dust one day....................

"As the tears stop to fall

The more I will listen to the call.

All who we love shall pass in some future time.

Yet I will be the one to find that final rhyme.

Mystic Rhythms will pulse into the night

Trying to find The Color Of Right.

It doesn't really matter when it comes to

Counting the Stars.

Finding out that the Universe keeps going on

Understanding that Neil was right about many things.

From The Necromancer To A Farewell To Kings.

To comprehending the Cold Fire Of Romance.

Just give me YYZ

And a dance with fate into the night.

I believe In A Ghost Of A Chance......

We will find someone to love and make it last.....

Take it slow and not too fast................................"

Earl

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne worked out and did the nutritional juicing a lot.

He passed on at age 96 in early 2011 of respiratory failure due to pneumonia.

Life doesn't have any guarantees for longevity.

Also, Bryan Adams is vegan. He attributes his health to his diet. However that doesn't guarantee a long life either.

Jim Fixx, author if The Complete Book of Running, died of a heart attack while jogging at 52 years old. The arteries around his heart were 2/3's blocked. Previous life style and a genetic predisposition led to the heart attack.

You just never know. I'm sure Neil had no idea about his glioblastoma until he felt tangible symptons, but when it's time, it's time. :|

You know eventually you get there, but no. And with Rush in a way even less so. Not that they don't have their vices and all (like me, they love their wine!!) and Neil was always putting himself out there on his bike....and the ravages of diseases are 100% indiscriminate, of course. No matter one's health, you can be stricken by SOMETHING. But what I mean is, the guys in Rush are NICE MEN. I admire them, their love for one another, the respect they have for their fans, friends, and families. They are not the typical "rock band" in most ways and for the better. You feel like you know these folks because they are genuine. We don't, in most cases, but you just feel closer knowing these blokes are real and not the usual rock star put on bullshit.

So, like with a friend, I wasn't ready and it wasn't something I thought I would hear anytime soon...and certainly hoped not.

Not to disparage anyone or to sound as if I lack empathy, but when Scott Weiland died almost no one was surprised, either that it happened at all or how it happened. The guy had his obvious demons and they came home to roost. Not knowing that Neil was sick and having the sense he was happily retired and committed to his family full time...this just hit us all like a collapsing building.

• Like 2

Neil was always in shape in the 80’s.

90’s fine.

But then you could see the physical change.

Neil just said that he “worries.”

Watching Time Stand Still

Seeing Neil gain weight in the 2000s

I mean let’s just be real.

He lost his daughter and his wife in the same year.

I also learned that he lost a good friend and a dog as well.

How does any human recover from that tragedy?

Neil did.

But did it add stress and trauma to his mortal body??

Earl

Last night, I was curious about this and found some articles below that relates.

Why Some People Gain Weight While Grieving

The words and phrases in red color from the above article point to other articles this references, which are informative to read as well.

Here's a couple of other articles from the Huffington Post below, which are written by the same author.

Why Stress Matters

Grief, Stress and Your Adrenals

Edited by RushFanForever