Did You Prepare Yourself For The Possibility Of One Of Band Members Passing?

presto123

I used to always envision it happening in my head every once in a while, and I'd always picture myself having like some mental breakdown when I found out because he's my favorite drummer of all time and it's hard to imagine life without someone like him. But the funny thing is that when the day actually did happen, my mom had told me about it and I was obviously shocked, but also didn't really have any emotion. It doesn't even feel like he's actually gone or anything.
  • Like 1

I posted in here a few years ago that I did worry a bit about what might happen to Neil. Between the motorcycling and smoking most of his life, I feared that while he was living his life, at a minimum, the smoking increased the risk of illness.

Yes. And ironically I assumed it would be Neil that went first - but I thought it was going to be in a motorbike accident.

But damn cancer - especially with all he had been through. While us fans are feeling bad, I can only imagine what his family and friends are feeling right now. They've been robbed of a husband, a father and a wonderful human being. Such a colossal loss for everyone.

That's what bothers me the most. Still have all of the music and can pull it off of the shelf whenever I want. Been that way since 2015 without regret. That's really all secondary to me. It's the impact on him and his friends and family over the last three and a half years that is really grinding me up. . For a guy that earned his retirement and left it all on the stage, this isn't the way anyone had hoped it would end. Reality can really suck and this is one of those times. Healing seems to have it's own schedule.

• Like 2

Yes, I know what you mean. In theory, it doesn’t affect our future, because we weren’t going to see him play again - though of course, we’ll never know for sure because it wasn’t that long a stretch of time between retirement and diagnosis. But anyway, it’s not like Geddy and Alex who are still out there doing stuff.

but the loss to his family and friends and the guys is sooooo sad. Andbhim just not BEING here anymore is sad.

Not really. I remember there was a rumor back in the 80's that he had some kind of cancer. I believed it for a while but eventually learned it was false. I never thought it would turn out to be some sort of weird prophecy.

And that rumor was that he had brain cancer. I remember that and so do other friends of mine.

Wow...I never knew that, I had never heard that before.

• Like 1

I posted in here a few years ago that I did worry a bit about what might happen to Neil. Between the motorcycling and smoking most of his life, I feared that while he was living his life, at a minimum, the smoking increased the risk of illness.

On the rare occasion when I contemplated the eventual passing of the Boys, I always thought to myself, "Neil will go first". The only reason was that he really liked his cigs and scotch. That's a rather lame reason, but I guess it's based on some truth..... :huh:

Yes. And ironically I assumed it would be Neil that went first - but I thought it was going to be in a motorbike accident.

But damn cancer - especially with all he had been through. While us fans are feeling bad, I can only imagine what his family and friends are feeling right now. They've been robbed of a husband, a father and a wonderful human being. Such a colossal loss for everyone.

That's what bothers me the most. Still have all of the music and can pull it off of the shelf whenever I want. Been that way since 2015 without regret. That's really all secondary to me. It's the impact on him and his friends and family over the last three and a half years that is really grinding me up. . For a guy that earned his retirement and left it all on the stage, this isn't the way anyone had hoped it would end. Reality can really suck and this is one of those times. Healing seems to have it's own schedule.

Definitely agree with all that.

Yes, I know what you mean. In theory, it doesn’t affect our future, because we weren’t going to see him play again - though of course, we’ll never know for sure because it wasn’t that long a stretch of time between retirement and diagnosis. But anyway, it’s not like Geddy and Alex who are still out there doing stuff.

but the loss to his family and friends and the guys is sooooo sad. Andbhim just not BEING here anymore is sad.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Not really. I remember there was a rumor back in the 80's that he had some kind of cancer. I believed it for a while but eventually learned it was false. I never thought it would turn out to be some sort of weird prophecy.

And that rumor was that he had brain cancer. I remember that and so do other friends of mine.

I heard that rumor before too when I was first getting into Rush. I wonder how that started and spread? This was long before Neil started wearing the bandana to keep sweat out of his eyes.

• Like 1

The Neil has cancer rumor was, I believe, post Signals. It coincided with the "farewell Tour" rumors along w Grace Under Pressure. About as accurate as the rumors on what In The Air Tonight was really about (another gem of an urban myth that I believe had Phil Collins replying "What the hell are you talking about?" when asked about it. Unless THAT was an urban legend too. Lies all LIES!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

I heard that rumor before too when I was first getting into Rush. I wonder how that started and spread? This was long before Neil started wearing the bandana to keep sweat out of his eyes.

No idea.. would love ot know.

I don't remember the Neil cancer thing being specifically about brain cancer(although I don't doubt it and 'll take your word for it)but I do remember it being cancer and around 86 maybe 87. My brother's best friend at the time was very big into Rush(and a big influence on me getting big into them)and he was the one who mentioned it. I have no idea where he heard it. Interesting considering this was before the internet so rumors obviously spread differently back then. I did see Rush for the first time with this guy(87 on HYF)and Neil played just fine so I think the rumor was gone by then. Still, it's weird to think someone was spreading this rumor only to have it come true 33 years later or so. Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 1

I remember that in the mid to late 80s, the rumor was that Geddy had throat cancer and that is why he wasn't singing so high anymore.

I think there was a rumor that Steve Perry(from Journey) had throat cancer too and that turned out to be false as well.

I remember that in the mid to late 80s, the rumor was that Geddy had throat cancer and that is why he wasn't singing so high anymore.

I think there was a rumor that Steve Perry(from Journey) had throat cancer too and that turned out to be false as well.

I never heard that rumor about Neil getting throat cancer, but as most of you have read, I was alway in fear of Neil getting cancer thanks to cigarettes.

The only rumor I recall in 1980 something was that Neil was going to leave RUSH and play drums for The Who.

The cancer rumours had been around for a long time. The one that always went around in my circles was around the time of Roll The Bones, when he began shaving his head and wearing the bandanas. There were people saying he was hiding brain cancer then. Obviously the irony isn't lost on me.

It's weird... I did have a gut feeling he might be first. But like everyone else... not nearly this soon. Not for maybe another 10 years. And I thought we would find out first. I should have known that Neil would keep it close to the vest; it was always his style.

I had something of a dress rehearsal the day Rutsey passed. I had one giant freak out because I was scrolling around online and saw something to the effect of "Rush something something drummer something dead"... It would be unkind to say relief was the right word because it's not fair to John, but of course that wasn't going to hit with the same amount of force, let's be honest. Regardless, that didn't prepare me remotely for what happened this week.

Come on now, this is getting a bit silly...you prepare yourself for the death of a close family member or a lifelong friend, even your dog, but not someone you don't even know......

I completely agree.

I've found this news difficult to process, and I'm not even sure I can explain what I mean by that - something to do with what the band meant to me when I was younger, a sense of finality, an oddness that something that meant so much to me has been so irrevocably damaged and broken without anything actually changing in a practical sense. I'm not sure. Perhaps the best way I can put it is that it feels like a significant moment. The nature of something that's been part of me since I was 16 has changed forever. Whatever Rush is to me, it's different now.

But while I think it's really sad that Neil had to cope with this terminal illness so soon after his retirement, and that his loved ones have to do without him, I'm not one of them. I haven't been hurt or upset by this. I'm certainly not mourning.

No offence whatever to those of you who have taken it hard. But I don't get preparing for the death of someone you don't know, and haven't been in touch with in any sense for years.

By the way I do believe this is my landmark 400th post here. I believe I joined up in 2004, so it's taken a while.

• Like 3

Come on now, this is getting a bit silly...you prepare yourself for the death of a close family member or a lifelong friend, even your dog, but not someone you don't even know......

I completely agree.

I've found this news difficult to process, and I'm not even sure I can explain what I mean by that - something to do with what the band meant to me when I was younger, a sense of finality, an oddness that something that meant so much to me has been so irrevocably damaged and broken without anything actually changing in a practical sense. I'm not sure. Perhaps the best way I can put it is that it feels like a significant moment. The nature of something that's been part of me since I was 16 has changed forever. Whatever Rush is to me, it's different now.

But while I think it's really sad that Neil had to cope with this terminal illness so soon after his retirement, and that his loved ones have to do without him, I'm not one of them. I haven't been hurt or upset by this. I'm certainly not mourning.

No offence whatever to those of you who have taken it hard. But I don't get preparing for the death of someone you don't know, and haven't been in touch with in any sense for years.

By the way I do believe this is my landmark 400th post here. I believe I joined up in 2004, so it's taken a while.

Aside from the fact that I didn't know anything about Neil other than what he wanted to be known, it's sad on multiple levels. Knowing that he had a relatively young family, I feel bad for them, but I think a lot of fans would admit that they are probably more sad for themselves. I see this incident as part of the "melting away" of my youth...something that's gone and can never be recaptured again.

I'm sure some fans feel closer connections to celebrities that they admire than I do. I'll just listen to Rush more than usual for a couple days and then get on with it.

• Like 1

I find myself having strange feelings of " ok I just heard that Neil is sick, now I'm ready to tune into his progress and wish him well" But then catching myself and realizing that this is over. Us mere mortals, not having known of this, are already at the end. It's a really strange way to have to process the sickness and death of someone you admire. A mourning in reverse if you will.

I completely agree.

Aside from the fact that I didn't know anything about Neil other than what he wanted to be known, it's sad on multiple levels. Knowing that he had a relatively young family, I feel bad for them, but I think a lot of fans would admit that they are probably more sad for themselves. I see this incident as part of the "melting away" of my youth...something that's gone and can never be recaptured again.

I'm sure some fans feel closer connections to celebrities that they admire than I do. I'll just listen to Rush more than usual for a couple days and then get on with it.

For me, it really is about something thats been with me since childhood being gone forever. Its almost like a yardstick. I didnt get into them until Power Windows/Hold Your Fire timeframe, so later than some but still over 30 years now. Where did 30 years go?

In my late 40s now with growing children (one being a daughter the same age as Neils...another thing that is killing me...imagining getting the news you have brain cancer and then trying to soak up all the little moments you can before its too late), and both my parents went in their 60s. Im way more healthy than they ever were, but there are no guarantees. Ive been thinking about whats to come for myself.

I suppose the short answer is "nope". I figured they would be around a lot longer, so hadn't even considered the possibility of one of them leaving us. They always seemed so youthful and goofy in photos and interviews. I shed tears on Friday a few times, mostly because I felt bad for him / his family and also because it meant Rush was dissolved forever and will never be again. It seems a little strange or irrational, but apparently they must mean that much to me.
  • Like 4

The Neil has cancer rumor was, I believe, post Signals. It coincided with the "farewell Tour" rumors along w Grace Under Pressure. About as accurate as the rumors on what In The Air Tonight was really about (another gem of an urban myth that I believe had Phil Collins replying "What the hell are you talking about?" when asked about it. Unless THAT was an urban legend too. Lies all LIES!!!!!!!!

That was slightly before my time, that I would have been aware of things like that. On the bus since 1980, when I was just a wee little one- but my first time seeing them live was on the Presto tour (about a month before my 17th birthday).