Did You Prepare Yourself For The Possibility Of One Of Band Members Passing?

presto123

I remember about 20 years ago when Princess Diana died here there was this (to me) hysterical outpourings of emotion which just made me think "wtf"?

I don't think you can compare Diana mania with the reaction of Rush fans on a Rush forum to a member of Rush dying.

If Elton John releases a tribute single I will stand corrected though.

True not on a level with a beloved Princess but Neil kinda broke the internet on his way out.

I'm thinking there will be tons if tribute material to Neil's legacy from the music community.

• Like 1

The only thing I was prepared for is that the passing of a band member was the only thing that would stop the rumors about their coming out of retirement. Did I expect one of them to die in their 60's...no.

The weird thing is, when I told the news to my son (19 years old), he asked how old Neil was. When I told him 67, he said "well, he was old after all". I said "that's only 12 years older than I am !!!" and I believe I threw in "you doofus" at the end of that..

I guess it's all about perspective. When you're 19, ten years pass in ten years, when you're 55, 10 years passes in about 3. It's all about that dog years shit.

• Like 2

What always drove me crazy even back in the 8th grade was when I would see cameo pictures of Neil in many rock magazines smoking a fuckking cigarette. Sorry, I just wrote this somewhere else.

Even as a kid, I just couldn't believe an incredible drummer smoked cigarettes!! I thought you needed you lungs to be healthy and pink to drum. Being a drummer required so much stamina and homeostasis.

I've seen photos and/or video where drummers are smoking at the drums. Ginger Baker and Bun E. Carlson of Cheap Trick. Also to add in Jeff Porcaro of Toto.

Just wondering. I know some of you had to have thought about it like I had over the last 5 years or so. It suddenly dawned on me that these guys wouldn't be around forever and how the world would feel different if something like this happened. I know it happens to all of us eventually, but I always wondered how I would feel being that they have always been part of my life from a young age and it hurts/feels like Twilight Zone just as much as I thought it would. We consider these guys family. That's one thing that makes the band and fan base so special.

Crazy the randomness of life as Neil wrote about so eloquently on Roll The Bones album. You just never know.

I don't think I did anything to "prepare" myself. Certainly I've known for a long time that this day would come. I've even wondered who would go first and always assumed it would be Neil, but not due to illness; I had always assumed he would die in a motorcycle accident. News of his passing was a shock and I was initially skeptical of the claims, but once the reports started flooding in, I knew it was for real.

I was talking to my sister about it via email and I told her I was far sadder when Stevie Ray Vaughan died, and I think that's because Stevie's career was still on-going. I was looking forward to hearing (and seeing, via his shows) more from him; not so with Neil. When he said he was done, I took him at his word.

I'm not sure where the thread is but somewhere around here there is a thread in the past year or so with a pic of Neil. I remember commenting on that thread that he looked ill. Very thin and frail and not in a way that someone just changed their diet and has lost some weight. I honestly hadn't thought about that thread until this past week. My point is that hearing of his passing didn't "shock" me. Deaths like these to be honest only serve to question my own mortality as I will be 60 later this year God willing...
  • Like 1

Come on now, this is getting a bit silly...you prepare yourself for the death of a close family member or a lifelong friend, even your dog, but not someone you don't even know......

Disagree. You are vastly underestimating the impact this band had on people's lives. The band actually saved so many people and inspired countless more. I've read the stories over the years. Exact reason I started this thread.

Well of course that's yours (and others) prerogative......I suppose it depends what personal trials and tragedies you have in your own life

I often wonder whether it's the fact I have Aspergers that makes these public showings of grief about distant figures alien to me.

Your Aspergers could well play a part, but I don't think that's the whole picture. It's like I said over in SOCN, I can't grieve a stranger like a long-acquainted friend.

• Like 1

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne worked out and did the nutritional juicing a lot.

He passed on at age 96 in early 2011 of respiratory failure due to pneumonia.

Life doesn't have any guarantees for longevity.

Also, Bryan Adams is vegan. He attributes his health to his diet. However that doesn't guarantee a long life either.

Edited by RushFanForever

Fitness guru Jack LaLanne worked out and did the nutritional juicing a lot.

He passed on at age 96 in early 2011 of respiratory failure due to pneumonia.

Life doesn't have any guarantees for longevity.

Also, Bryan Adams is vegan. He attributes his health to his diet. However that doesn't guarantee a long life either.

Yup. My mom lived until age 93 and for the past 40 years was pretty sedentary. She liked to eat and read.

Disclaimer (just my personal experience)- I lost a relative from cancer and he was 67 as well when he passed. Cancer really is the worst, no arguement. (This person smoked and drank heavily in youth so I am willing to say there might be a connection to those vices and a shorter lifespan.)

However it's not so simple- there is pediatric cancer, and people who have never been exposed to carcinogenic substances can get sick with cancer too. We're still learning about how to beat cancer.

There's a blurb on imdb dot com about Peart having a close shave accident in Pennsyvania on his motorcycle so for a long time I just assumed that would be what would get him, a motorcycle mishap. (Surgeons don't call motorcyclist "donorcyclists" for nothing.) Yes it's true life can be so random and surprising.

• Like 1

Well knowing the worlds death rate is 1 for 1. I knew they were mortal and getting on in years. I'm 55 (56 in Feb) and I surely feel the adverse affects of old age. The Boys are about 12 + years ahead of me and to top it off they are rock stars! So in reality I know it was only a matter of time but they still had a lot of time left barring a tragic accident. However the way this all happened with Niel was quite a shock! 1st the way I heard about it via a text from a friend (that I turned on to Rush) stating simply "Sorry for your loss" To which I replied "What Loss" then just one word.. "Rush" so I started searching the www. Aaaand there it was just as the radio started to play TSOR! Then to learn he and all who were close to him have known for sometime and suffering through it, just added another layer of sorrow to the mix. This whole weekend I was so distraught my wife actually asked me if she was going to have to watch me go through what I did this weekend 2 more times... My answer then was "if I don't depart 1st ;) But in reality I think Niels passing will be the worst for me. I guess in part because he was the 1st to go but also because the connection I had to all the lyrics, subject matter and feelings of his songs. Those words that have been a beacon of truth and understanding that (along with the music) helped shape my life and the way I view the world. I feel I have said and thought that line many times in the last 3 daze. But that is what I keep coming back to! Long Live :rush: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

I never prepared myself because I didn't have to. Not being glib but if you haven't had someone close to you die, you will - and you rarely get the chance to prepare for that but it's life changing when it happens and then you get on with it. I am sad about Neil passing, I welled up and was in a dark mood for 2 days.

But then I thought about how he lived his life and all the experiences he had along the way - a life well lived. Tragedies and sadness to be sure. Rarely can one escape those regardless of fame/money/position, but he got a lot out of those 67 years, and we as fans and admirers, benefited as well as supported his life and lifestyle. Both us and Neil got and gave.

• Like 2

No, I seriously expected that the band would record again. Then play a residency in Vegas for ten days. I never expected cancer would take one of them before enjoying their 70th birthday.

Nope.

I thought these all guys would be around in their 90's I suppose.

Pat

You know I love you.

I’m very serious now.

Your personal message to me made my cry tears of happiness and joy.

We love to fukkk around on here and we have for 13 plus years.

We have both been very entertaining for the public.

Regardless of people hating us for being over the top or many people getting us and loving us.

You have always been Batman

I’m Robin

I have always been you sidekick in internet fun.

I love you so much Pat.

I always knew in my heart that Neil was going to pass first and at a younger older age.

I’m sorry to be so honest but it was always a gut feeling.

Intuition.

Neil was always in shape in the 80’s.

90’s fine.

But then you could see the physical change.

Neil just said that he “worries.”

Watching Time Stand Still

Seeing Neil gain weight in the 2000s

I mean let’s just be real.

He lost his daughter and his wife in the same year.

I also learned that he lost a good friend and a dog as well.

How does any human recover from that tragedy?

Neil did.

But did it add stress and trauma to his mortal body??

Please don’t attack me for me thoughts.

I don’t know.

But I do know a great story about Neil.

I will share.

When Neil quit Rush to jump on his motorcycle and just ride for miles and miles he encountered a dilemma.

He was way up north riding as many as you know. Well on a dirt road Neil came across a grizzly bear.

Neil stopped on the road and gazed into the bear’s eyes.

At that moment in time the bear stood up on its back legs to attack Neil.

In an instant Neil stood up and got off his BMW motorcycle.

He raised his arms into the sky and screamed at the top of his lungs and ran at the bear!

The grizzly swiftly dropped down to all fours and ran away into the woods like a little pussy.

Neil is the Man.

You people don’t even get it.

I am well connected.

I have so many amazing stories about Neil.

Please respect me and my opinions even if I am wrong.

No one is perfect.

Neil will always be close to me.

Until the day I die.

I hope you are right about Geddy and Alex Pat.

I’m sure they will be fine.

It just breaks my heart that Neil had two chances in life.

Two daughters.

Never saw them graduate college.

Wedding.

Grandchildren.

An amazing lesson we should all learn through Neil’s moral compass.

His words right?

Precious cargo.

I’m all about family first.

Sorry to all the people on here I offended over the years.

Earl

:cheers: :clap: :d13:

Nope.

Pretty much the same, here. The only thought I had about any one of them dying was completely in the abstract, and still a fair number of years off in the distance.

I never even thought about it really. It was totally unexpected.

(I managed to mangle that sentence, "these all guys" :doh: )

It never occurred to me. They were too young and compared to so many of the other artists out there, (Keith Richards coughcough) they all seemed to be healthy and happy.

but, as others have said, cancer doesn’t care.

• Like 2

what helped is that we not heard too much from or about him for quite a long time, when freddie mercury died i was in a state of real grief the following day, only time i ever felt that way about the death of someone who wasnt physically in my life, with possible exception of robin williams, was pretty cut up about that but nothing like freddie

of course it's upsetting to hear about neil's death the guy was one of three only living heroes i had, i told him that on the roll the bones tour i sent a stamped-addressed envelope with a pen included to one of the arenas the band were playing at to Neil with some words asking for his autograph and i'll be damned he sent it. still one of the greatest days of my life receiving that in the post with a personal comment from him was mindblowing like Neil Peart of Rush had just made contact with me i was buzzin for a week and still am when i think about it but, all i feel is thanks and gratitude for everything he gave us. The band is finished, his death is done, apart from at least a couple major tragedies he had a truly fantastic life and career, i personally not heard anything about him for years like he was already gone, so when he finally went it was easier to absorb.

The one loss i really feel in relation to this issue is the loss of the band itself, christ i miss even the remotest possibility of getting a new rush album, the hope itself was inspiring but when the actual material released it was like pure adrenalin jacked up into my arteries, everything improved life got a million percent better for months and even years, work got better, play got better, it was like the most powerful drug on the planet and that i sincerely grieve for while just feeling thankful Neil existed

too early for this but hey, maybe this will eventually be the catalyst for Alex and Ged to do somethin, not that they have to but, if they really up for it maybe it'll cut them loose. if not i just wish em a long and happy life

• Like 2

I'm not sure where the thread is but somewhere around here there is a thread in the past year or so with a pic of Neil. I remember commenting on that thread that he looked ill. Very thin and frail and not in a way that someone just changed their diet and has lost some weight. I honestly hadn't thought about that thread until this past week. My point is that hearing of his passing didn't "shock" me. Deaths like these to be honest only serve to question my own mortality as I will be 60 later this year God willing...

In the thread Geddy: 'There Are Zero Plans To Tour Again' there is a link to a pic on Facebook of the three of them in October 2018:

Put the WHOLE quote out there:

"I would say there's no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That's possible. …"

So what the heck does that last part mean? If you see "three of us," that by definition is Rush, no?

Seems we only had to wait til Friday to find out...

https://m.facebook.c...&type=3

In the thread Geddy: 'There Are Zero Plans To Tour Again' there is a link to a pic on Facebook of the three of them in October 2018:

Put the WHOLE quote out there:

"I would say there's no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That's possible. …"

So what the heck does that last part mean? If you see "three of us," that by definition is Rush, no?

Seems we only had to wait til Friday to find out...

https://m.facebook.c...&type=3

That isn't the pic I was talking about but thanks...

Nope.

Pretty much the same, here. The only thought I had about any one of them dying was completely in the abstract, and still a fair number of years off in the distance.

I never even thought about it really. It was totally unexpected.

(I managed to mangle that sentence, "these all guys" :doh: )

Aw, shucks...you’d fit right in, in certain parts of this here ‘Murica.

:16ton:

• Like 1

Not really. I remember there was a rumor back in the 80's that he had some kind of cancer. I believed it for a while but eventually learned it was false. I never thought it would turn out to be some sort of weird prophecy.
  • Like 4

Yes. And ironically I assumed it would be Neil that went first - but I thought it was going to be in a motorbike accident.

But damn cancer - especially with all he had been through. While us fans are feeling bad, I can only imagine what his family and friends are feeling right now. They've been robbed of a husband, a father and a wonderful human being. Such a colossal loss for everyone.

• Like 3

Not really. I remember there was a rumor back in the 80's that he had some kind of cancer. I believed it for a while but eventually learned it was false. I never thought it would turn out to be some sort of weird prophecy.

And that rumor was that he had brain cancer. I remember that and so do other friends of mine.