Any Rush in particular you've listened to this weekend?

zappafrank

Someone posted it in another thread, but there was a post by someone close to Neil who said he loved Hold Your Fire and they would listen to it together on 10. That's the main album I've had on while driving all weekend. Mostly listened to Grace Under Pressure on Friday since I couldn't get Afterimage out of my head, and that album is great musically/lyrically.

I still have not listened to any Rush music since the news of Neil’s passing (and, with one exception where I listened to the Fly By Night album maybe a month ago, I really haven’t listened to Rush for the better part of a year or so).

But just a little bit ago, I put together a various playlist of Rush music- something I’ve never done before. And the aim of it is that it’s something by which to specifically remember Neil, and his incredible talents- rhythmically and lyrically. A lot of just completely outstanding Neil performances on record (and just a few live tracks), and a few songs where the words mean particularly a lot to me.

I am totally wiped out and am not going to post the list of all of the songs right now, but I will tomorrow. It is just about four hours long.

• Like 1

The time I learned of Neil's death I was already in a whirlwind, We all live very busy lives, and seldom enjoy carving time out mourn in the name of the deceased. Why? Cause it sucks, that's why...yet, when embraced, it can have a cleansing effect on a person. Puts thing in perspective. I just loathe the emotional drainage.

For no good reason, this world had to take two legends that day. My oldest son is 14 and working on his Eagle Scout project, very active in the region. His Troop lost a young man, only 12 years old...to a rapid onset of luekemia. I'm talking the kid found out he had the disease on Wednesday, died thursday night at St. Judes. It happened so quickly. Then my sister calls me up, later that evening to ask me how I'm doing in light of Neil's death.

She said it was the first time in our lives that she told me something about Rush I didn't already know. I needed that laugh at the time.

The first song I put on was Red Barchetta. My boys love Rush so we decided to listen to warm and comforting reminders at first. Then, believe it or not, Madrigal. My youngest then said he wanted to hear Neil play Clockwork Angels.live. Pretty cool. I then responded with Between Sun and Moon. The oldest child ruled out anything from SIgnals and Presto...so he went with Witch Hunt.

Then after that, we talked about really heavy stuff. They're friend was gone. I know the parents of this child. Where have I heard this before? Heartbreaking stuff all around. All things fell into proper persepective pretty quick because Neil shared his pain, and explained his complicated emotions about his most challenging/dreadful season in life. I was reminded of that through his book Ghost Rider.

Spirit of Radio...thumbs up. Mood lifter for sure.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

The time I learned of Neil's death I was already in a whirlwind, We all live very busy lives, and seldom enjoy carving time out mourn in the name of the deceased. Why? Cause it sucks, that's why...yet, when embraced, it can have a cleansing effect on a person. Puts thing in perspective. I just loathe the emotional drainage.

For no good reason, this world had to take two legends that day. My oldest son is 14 and working on his Eagle Scout project, very active in the region. His Troop lost a young man, only 12 years old...to a rapid onset of luekemia. I'm talking the kid found out he had the disease on Wednesday, died thursday night at St. Judes. It happened so quickly. Then my sister calls me up, later that evening to ask me how I'm doing in light of Neil's death.

She said it was the first time in our lives that she told me something about Rush I didn't already know. I needed that laugh at the time.

The first song I put on was Red Barchetta. My boys love Rush so we decided to listen to warm and comforting reminders at first. Then, believe it or not, Madrigal. My youngest then said he wanted to hear Neil play Clockwork Angels.live. Pretty cool. I then responded with Between Sun and Moon. The oldest child ruled out anything from SIgnals and Presto...so he went with Witch Hunt.

Then after that, we talked about really heavy stuff. They're friend was gone. I know the parents of this child. Where have I heard this before? Heartbreaking stuff all around. All things fell into proper persepective pretty quick because Neil shared his pain, and explained his complicated emotions about his most challenging/dreadful season in life. I was reminded of that through his book Ghost Rider.

Spirit of Radio...thumbs up. Mood lifter for sure.

Wow...that is a rollercoaster for sure, Duff. I’m so sorry to hear.

But so glad that you were/are there for your boys, and them for you, too.

• Like 1

I still have not listened to any Rush music since the news of Neil’s passing (and, with one exception where I listened to the Fly By Night album maybe a month ago, I really haven’t listened to Rush for the better part of a year or so).

But just a little bit ago, I put together a various playlist of Rush music- something I’ve never done before. And the aim of it is that it’s something by which to specifically remember Neil, and his incredible talents- rhythmically and lyrically. A lot of just completely outstanding Neil performances on record (and just a few live tracks), and a few songs where the words mean particularly a lot to me.

I am totally wiped out and am not going to post the list of all of the songs right now, but I will tomorrow. It is just about four hours long.

To wit:

Far Cry

Freewill

One Little Victory

Limelight

Witch Hunt

Afterimage

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Between the Wheels

Anthem

Cygnus X-1

Xanadu

YYZed (from Exit Stage Left)

A Farewell to Kings

Headlong Flight

Working Man/Finding My Way (from ATWAS)

What You’re Doing (from ATWAS)

The Weapon

Earthshine

Bastille Day (from Hammersmith Odeon, 20.02.1978)

The Analog Kid

Territories

Dreamline

Best I Can

Where’s My Thing?

Leave That Thing Alone

Double Agent

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (from ATWAS)

Beneath, Between, and Behind

Lock and Key

Turn the Page

Red Barchetta

The Spirit of Radio

Show Don’t Tell

Workin’ Them Angels

The Garden

• Like 3

I am still kinda binging on Permanent Waves. Last night I was giving my 25 year old son a ride to his plumbing school course (all company paid :yay: ) and Natural Science was up. I started telling the story of how that song was responsible for me wanting to dig into deep cuts on other albums thus starting me on my collecting rush albums quest. Also that PW was the 1st album I "had" to buy and how in 1980 was the 1st time I saw them play live. Aaaaand yep misty eyes were upon me again. Next up going to put Hold Your Fire in... That was the tour I took my wife of 31 years now to her 1st show...

Long Live :rush:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

Mostly been listening to the deep tracks tribute on SXM.

Me too. Maybe I'm not listening at the right times but I still haven't heard a single song off Counterparts, TFE or Snakes yet. They did play the title track and Headlong from CA though a few times and The Seeker from Feeback. Odd.

Also, can someone please tell David Fricke that his name is pronounced "PEER-T" not "PURT"? Isn't that basic Rush 101? :rage:

Edited by jnoble

I just finished listening to every song in order on my lunch hour today .. I was just listening while I drove .. I had a long road trip taking Entre Perpetuo back to school so that knocked out a lot of it, and it was fun listening with him. I'm circling back to Grace under pressure now .. i really like that one .. silly but for what ever reason I really feel like I miss Neil .. he was an amazing man for sure
  • Like 1

Okay, so I actually had a little reboot. My intention was to listen to Hold Your Fire, however when I opened the HYF CD case (Yes I still have outdated old tech clumsy, cluttery CD's but to this day that is what I have the majority of my collection on) in it's place was A Show Of Hands! I was like cool must be a sign lol, and in it went. I always love the Three Stooges intro! I mean what humility!!! Anyhoo was good up till Manhattan Project I could feel the welling... By Mission, yep you guessed it misty eyes again... Oh how I love this band!

Long Live :rush:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

As for me, I was at work last Friday when I got a text from my cousin (who took me to my first Rush concert when I was around 15 years old on the Power Windows Tour) informing me that Neil had died. I was shocked and at a complete loss for words. But I work at a hospital and was too busy for it to really sink in... it just lingered in the back of my mind until I got off work. I almost always have Rush playing in my car, so when I started it up it was on the Vapor Trails album, and the song playing was Earthshine. My first thoughts were about Neil riding and healing from his losses, and how Vapor Trails was the result of his return... and the bands return. And it made me sad thinking about how he was now leaving behind his new wife and daughter. A lot of thoughts flowed through my mind during my hour long drive home, and lots of emotions as well. And I don't mind admitting that my eyes teared up pretty often, from both sad and pleasant thoughts. One thing that I've noticed in all of my listening these past days... I find myself listening to almost EVERY song, even the ones that I didn't care for much, and that I used to just skip over. I've been going through the whole catalog just randomly, but listening intently to every song, soaking them in and paying closer attention to the lyrics than I ever did before. So in that way, even though he's gone, he's still giving me more and more... and I'm forever thankful.
  • Like 3

...the JR Flood demo.

I love hearing Neil at his earliest. Can definitely tell it's him...

5317822-a476643c5d2b8d2214374d1ebe425841.jpg

Anyone know if this exists in lossless quality or anywhere besides YouTube?

Yeah, that would be interesting.

I've now heard "Anthem" and "YYZ" on radio here in Melbourne, in addition to La Villa. So that's three songs, and that's only maybe in 30 minutes or so of driving.

Again I don't know much I can emphasise the relative rarity of that for the rest of you, but I've spent a great deal of time in this country visiting or living over the last 20 years and I never heard a single Rush song in public until last week.

• Like 1

I've been watching Neil's DVD Taking Center Stage. Even though it's kind of categorized as drum instruction, it's a really cool DVD for any major fan because it contains every song from the Time Machine Tour in full. The video is 100% Neil, and the sound is mixed so the focus is on the drums but you can hear the other instruments so you don't lose the context of the song.

Highly recommended for any Neil fan. There are two bonus songs from the Snakes and Arrows tour. The Trees and Natural Science, which is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQ5uYP1eWk

Product on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,345&sr=8-7

EDIT:

Here is The Spirit of Radio on Facebook:

http://www.facebook....TV_c&__tn__=K-R

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 2

I just decided on my first Rush video since Neil died; I didn’t feel like I could do it, I wasn’t ready yet, all week this past week...but I just put on the R40 DVD, and went straight to YYZed...toward the end of Alex’s solo, when they go crashing and rolling back into the main riff- the tears started flowing again. But not tears of sadness, these are triumphant tears...my god, they were SO good, SO incredible...it is just overwhelming me, all over again.

RUSH ON!

:rush:

• Like 1

I've been revisiting songs/albums that I haven't listened to in quite some time. The most notable recent example would be "Scars" off Presto -- forgot how hypnotic Neil is on this one. Also, his amazing fills at the end of "Lock and Key" from HYF.
  • Like 1

...the JR Flood demo.

I love hearing Neil at his earliest. Can definitely tell it's him...

5317822-a476643c5d2b8d2214374d1ebe425841.jpg

Anyone know if this exists in lossless quality or anywhere besides YouTube?

I want to buy it.....NOW. I hope it's made available soon!

• Like 1