Any Rush in particular you've listened to this weekend?

zappafrank

I imagine many people probably started a playlist or hit random shuffle etc. on their collections, but is there anything you've gone out of your way to listen to?

- Presto, since it's the 1st Rush album I ever bought, back when it came out.

- Exit... Stage Left, b/c there's an air of happiness and TOP O' THE WOOOOORLD to it.

- R40, since I wanted to encapsulate everything in one fell swoop.

- Test for Echo, b/c I think it gets lost in the shuffle of latter day releases, and I've always enjoyed it

• Like 2

The only thing I managed to listen to was The Weapon on the day his death was announced. I want to watch Rush In Rio, but my husband had a stroke and was in the hospital/rehab for two months and just got home a few days ago. He is on the computer all day and I have no other way to watch anything. By the time he goes to bed, I'm worn out from the day myself and am too tired to watch much.

Hopefully, the next few weeks/months, that will change.

If I survive that long. :(

• Like 1

I worked the entire weekend, so tonight is the first time I got to really dive into listening to Rush in detail. I first listened to "Working Man/Finding My Way" from All the World's a Stage. I needed to hear drumming. The rest of tonight it's been several hours of song to song, mood to mood. I've been in a time machine. I'm a 14 year old boy in awe or I'm a 52 year old man in admiration. Thank you, Neil Peart.
  • Like 1

My entire catalog on shuffle.

It has all been quite therapeutic. Smiles, laughter, chills, crying....all emotions coming out. It will be like this for a little while. And its all amazing as it always was and always will be.

XM/Sirus on channel 27 (deep tracks) has been playing Rush 24/7 and a damn good variety too.

• Like 1

I watched Exit...Stage Left...it was nice to hear Neil talking in the intro and between so many songs.

Yeah need to watch some live DVD’s and blue rays. This week we do it. It has been a long time.

• Like 1

SXM's Deep Tracks channel (#27) is playing all Rush ,both obscure cuts and the hits, for the next two days. Heard songs I never heard on radio before like Face Up, Rivendell, Tai Shan, Territories, Different Strings, The Twilight Zone. I have all these on CD obviously but hearing them off the radio not knowing what to expect next is fun
  • Like 3

Since Friday night, I've been through almost the entire Rush studio albums with Neil, Chronological order. Plus ATWAS, ESL, ASOH.

What I have left is:

SNA

Feedback

CA

CA Live

Different Stages

R30 Live

R40 Live

Skipping RIR, TMT Live, great packages, but kind of redundant.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

For a couple of years now, I've charted out the entire year by going through different bands/artists' discographies in order, one album per day filling up the whole year -- some I'm super familiar with, some I'm not. And I start every year on January 1 with Rush, my favorite band, listening to the debut album on Jan 1, Fly by Night on Jan 2, etc. all the way to Clockwork Angels on Jan. 20 before moving on to a different band.

So Friday would have been Grace Under Pressure, and I had just finished with it about half an hour before a friend texted me asking if I'd heard the news. Obviously, I was in shock the rest of the day, since they'd done a great job of keeping the cancer quiet. It didn't really feel real. Still doesn't. But I've broken out my whole collection since then -- the documentaries, the live DVDs, even Neil's drumming DVDs, which I still have even though I haven't touched my drums in 10 years.

Obviously, the news is awful and tragic, but it's been pretty cool to revisit that stuff I hadn't watched in a long time, and read all the tributes to him that have come out and read all the posts on here and see what an impact he had on people. Everyone processes this stuff differently so I totally understand how some people can't listen to Rush at all for a while after hearing the news, but not for me. It's all just a reminder of how incredible this music is and how much it's meant to me over the two decades I've been a fan.

Edited by thizzellewashington
  • Like 3

I began by listening to the catalog on shuffle, but after a while decided to focus on albums on which I skip many tracks. At the time I assumed it was age, because those albums are Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows. But I love Clockwork as much as any of my favorites. So that wasn't it.

I decided that those albums needed another real focused listen, and I discovered many more songs I like.

Then I went back to shuffle.

Focusing a bit more on drums and lyrics than usual, considering.

• Like 3

SXM's Deep Tracks channel (#27) is playing all Rush ,both obscure cuts and the hits, for the next two days. Heard songs I never heard on radio before like Face Up, Rivendell, Tai Shan, Territories, Different Strings, The Twilight Zone. I have all these on CD obviously but hearing them off the radio not knowing what to expect next is fun

Yep, listened all yesterday in the car. Tia Shan, seriously. Talk about a deep track. Oddly, all day, I never heard a song past Presto. There is a 2 hour special on that station at 7 eastern today.

I listened to a track off each album.

The freshness and freedom was back for Clockwork Angels! Headlong Flight had the exuberance of youth coupled with blow-your-socks-off technique.

• Like 3

The wife and I had plans to party Friday after a stressful work week, and even though the news hit us both pretty hard, we decided to continue on and celebrate Neil's life. We drank and played pool for hours while listening to a big Rush playlist on shuffle. I did start it off with Afterimage though.

The next day, while reading through some tributes to Neil, is when it really hit me.

• Like 2

This weekend only bits & pieces like catching a part of a song on the radio or on the PAS at the televised sporting events. I tried listening to Afterimage but it was too powerful emotionally for me. I did make it through most of Animate but once again too powerful. I feel today I am starting to move into the healing phase as I can read articles, hear his voice in interviews & parts of songs and not completely breakdown. Probably a good test for me will be to listen to Permanent Waves. That album has the most nostalgic feelings for me and if forced to choose it would be my #1. If I can make it through that I'll be ready... My only feeling when it comes to stuff like this is everyone handles things differently and none of them are wrong (unless it involves international hurtfullness towards others). I did see something on FB that brought a smile to my face. It went something like this.

"Just think the earth is over 4 billion years old and you were lucky enough to live when Rush was here... Probably a little paraphrasing but you get the gist.

Long Live :rush:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

I listened to Red Barchetta off MP. It's my favorite Rush song lyrically. "My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about... race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside." Magical. I think Limelight is Neil's "best" effort but Red Barchetta will always be my favorite. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

I listened to Red Barchetta off MP. It's my favorite Rush song lyrically. "My uncle owns a country place that no one knows about... race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside." Magical. I think Limelight is Neil's "best" effort but Red Barchetta will always be my favorite.

Its' such a great song that someone should write a novel based on it.

;)

• Like 1