Any word on funeral or memorial plans?

londonguy

I would assume Neil would've chose cremation over burial. It would be nice to see half of his ashes buried with his first family at Mount Pleasant in Toronto and the other half with his current family. There should be some kind of announcement soon of funeral plans.

They already had the funeral I believe. He died on January 7th but it wasn't announced publicly until the 10th. That left enough time between his death and the announcement for them to have a private ceremony without any fanfare.
  • Like 10

bowie didn't have a funeral either.

Perhaps when you see the end that obvious to friends and family, everyone has their time and final wishes conveyed. A funeral isn't necessary unless you have religious beliefs.

• Like 1

They already had the funeral I believe. He died on January 7th but it wasn't announced publicly until the 10th. That left enough time between his death and the announcement for them to have a private ceremony without any fanfare.

That was very smart and I don't blame them for doing everything the way they did. I'm sure that was per Neil's instructions.

Death and funerals are hard enough to cope with without well-meaning, and not so well-meaning, fans making a trying time harder.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 6

This is what funerals could turn into...

https://www.vanityfa...funeral-t-shirt

jesus how tasteless.

That's disgraceful and, you're right, utterly tasteless. No class. No dignity. Venal is what it is.

Do you guys know what anagram that completely defines irony?

FUNERAL

REAL FUN

I figured that out on my own but I'm sure many know it.

• Like 2

That was very smart and I don't blame them for doing everything the way they did. I'm sure that was per Neil's instructions.

Death and funerals are hard enough to cope with without well-meaning, and not so well-meaning, fans making a trying time harder.

Yep. Even among Rush fans, there are some weird ones.

• Like 2

Present company excluded of course, but I'd have said. "ESPECIALLY among Rush fans....."

Which is why they probably waited until after the funeral/memorial to make an announcement.

I'm speculating but feel confident in thinking that if there was a funeral or memorial it was very private, and for his innermost circle. I'm sure the delay in reporting was very purposeful. His spokesman is well regarded in managing PR. Also, Neil seems like the type who would have lived as much as he could when he could, including being with friends while here. Surely those he wanted to know knew. I'll miss him dearly. Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 1

For any of Neil's funeral, or memorial plans, so far, I haven't seen, and heard any.

Hard to say what's happening with funeral or memorial arrangements, it's possible it's already happened, and it's possible nothing has happened, seems to be no news either way, would he not want to be buried where his 1st wife and child are buried?

Hard to say what's happening with funeral or memorial arrangements, it's possible it's already happened, and it's possible nothing has happened, seems to be no news either way, would he not want to be buried where his 1st wife and child are buried?

I would think if he was buried he would want to be close to where his widow and young daughter could visit him.

Most people are buried with their first spouses etc even after they remarried, but that is a long distance for Carrie and Olivia to go to visit. Probably makes more sense in California since his parents are quite old and I don't think he has much family in the Toronto area.

No!!! :o Tell me it isn't so! :o :o

;)

• Like 1

Jesus- could you imagine if news of this leaked? If the media and Rush fans knew Neil was terminally ill? What a circus that would be.

Whatever it is they did, they did the right thing.

Can you imagine is right!

It's a miracle they were able to keep it under wraps.

• Like 2

jesus how tasteless.

That's disgraceful and, you're right, utterly tasteless. No class. No dignity. Venal is what it is.

Do you guys know what anagram that completely defines irony?

FUNERAL

REAL FUN

I figured that out on my own but I'm sure many know it.

When we had a career day when I was in high school, we were told to write a business model for one of the seminars we attended... my one friend and I went to a funeral director, and when we wrote up our business model the catch phrase was : And remember..... the first three letters in Funeral are FUN!! (and we had a blast with it!)

jesus how tasteless.

Did you read the article? Tom Petty's daughter Annakim is a strange girl, but I think it's wrong to call her venal when those t-shirts were gifts for the funeral attendees, not products for sale. Annakim has an Instagram on which she posts a lot of weird things, but it's not a commercial one on which she does business. Her posting about the funeral on Instagram for Tom's fans and giving out T-shirts to friends and family who came to the funeral was her way of grieving. It might not be the way you would do it, but "tasteless and venal" is really harsh!

• Like 1

There's been nothing reported about his funeral or memorial plans. So it must have been very private. I thought we would at least know if he was buried or cremated. Even the "find a grave" site says burial details unknown.

I would be surprised if we ever heard anything. Neil was a very private person in life and I'm sure wanted to remain so in passing. People are nuts- Jim Morrison's grave in Paris is regularly chipped, spray painted and vandalized. Ronnie Van Zant's grave was dug up with a front loader and the same was tried with Duane Allman's until the family fenced it off. It's sad but understandable, I think, that Neil's final resting place would be between him and his family.

That being said, I do think that it would bring consolation to some Rush fans to have somewhere to visit and pay respects. There is another thread on TRF somewhere about the city of St. Catherine's, Ont. working with Neil's family on some type of memorial. I hope that happens!

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

My feeling about this is a private ones, but will voice them here. I think seeing how our dear Neil was a very private man, he would've chosen to keep his funeral matters private for his parents, brother and two sisters, his wife and very close friends only. Imagine his will coming out!! The horror of it is sickening because I seen it with famous people fighting over how didn't get what or why they cut them out of the will. I sometimes think if they held it open, it would not be fun at all for Neil's family. Plus, I think Neil would've like us to remember him by listening to Rush, reading his book or re seeing Rush concerts on DVDs or on YT. or by helping folks with his name..I believed that if Geddy and Alex were to one day pass, it would be the same thing. Sorry if I ramble on here.
  • Like 1

My feeling about this is a private ones, but will voice them here. I think seeing how our dear Neil was a very private man, he would've chosen to keep his funeral matters private for his parents, brother and two sisters, his wife and very close friends only. Imagine his will coming out!! The horror of it is sickening because I seen it with famous people fighting over how didn't get what or why they cut them out of the will. I sometimes think if they held it open, it would not be fun at all for Neil's family. Plus, I think Neil would've like us to remember him by listening to Rush, reading his book or re seeing Rush concerts on DVDs or on YT. or by helping folks with his name..I believed that if Geddy and Alex were to one day pass, it would be the same thing. Sorry if I ramble on here.

Hazarding a guess that Neil was not the type who'd have expected or wanted anyone to make a big formal fuss over his earthly remains. The man was never one to stand on ceremony regarding anything; as humble as he was, it's not likely he'd have made an exception for his own passing.

I also doubt he's been buried anywhere that the general public could access easily - if he opted for burial at all. I think that would be a good thing; while Rush fans in general are decent, respectful people, I have also seen people act like complete tools at gravesites. For every 200 people who'd visit Neil's grave to quietly pay respects, there'd be one person who had to act like a dick by the headstone. Jon Benet Ramsey is buried within shouting distance of my house, and while I thought she got entirely too much attention I can't condone all the disrespectful selfies and such that happen on her gravesite.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1