Sirius XM

Laurabw

Oh well yes, semantics I guess. More like “I’ve never heard that played on the air before” kinda thing. Like “ I think I’m going bald.”

but you know how Sirius is, even their deep tracks are normally not that deep.

I haven't listened to it that much in the past several years since I don't have access to it. My mom has or had it in her car so I have heard bits and pieces here and there. Based on that though I do think it is pretty deep for the most part. I rarely hear anything on there that I have heard more than maybe once or twice on regular radio(in other words what you hear on regular rotation on classic radio I haven't heard on deep tracks). Maybe my experience is different than yours or maybe you know something I don't know. I just know they seem to go way deeper than the hits.

I listened while on a long road trip yesterday. First song I heard was Fountain of Lamneth - wow! Some others were Need Some Love, Before and After, Neurotica, and Middletown Dreams. I don't know if they're going for deep tracks or not, but it was neat to hear some lesser known stuff (I admit I completely forgot about those other tracks off the debut album).

I do hope that all us Rush nerds tuning in will make them consider adding a permanent channel .. *fingers crossed*

Caught the end of Jim Ladd's interview with Neil from 2015 on Deep Tracks. It was pretty heavy duty listening with Jim asking the usual questions to round out an interview ("Do you feel the clock is ticking?") announcing tour dates and throwing on the Garden and Time Stand Still for good measure.

David Fricke's tribute up next.

• Like 2

OK, I shouldn't complain, but these so-called "Deep Tracks" are yet to be that deep, and if this is Carol Miller who's DJing, she said "Purt." I mean, really?

Listening and enjoying anyway, but come on, give me some tracks that make me go "WOW!"

The David Fricke guy doing the 2 hour special right now says Purt. And he claims to have known Neil. And he is also playing Led Zep and Summertime Blues.

OK, I shouldn't complain, but these so-called "Deep Tracks" are yet to be that deep, and if this is Carol Miller who's DJing, she said "Purt." I mean, really?

Listening and enjoying anyway, but come on, give me some tracks that make me go "WOW!"

The David Fricke guy doing the 2 hour special right now says Purt. And he claims to have known Neil. And he is also playing Led Zep and Summertime Blues.

I find it annoying too, he did a piece on Rush during the Moving Pictures tour (mentioned in Wandering The Face Of The Earth) and is a talking head whenever Rush is brought up in Rolling Stone.

• Like 3

HI listened to Eddie Trunk's show today (Trunk Nation) and it was all about Neil. He has Taylor Hawkins, Mike Portnoy, Andy Curren and Nick (Boooje). They all told stories and paid tribute. Really cool

Wonder if we can get a link. I think this link is where Eddie talks to the fans on call ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWuGzK84oBQ&t=65s

Regarding the Sirius XM thing, it’s NORMALLY the “deep cuts” channel (27), but has temporarily become the Neil Peart tribute channel... which means they’re playing Rush but not necessarily Rush deep cuts.

Still, a good mix. Yes, I’ve heard Closer to the Heart, Limelight, and Subdivisions, but I’ve also heard Territories, Tears, Second Nature, Different Strings, Hand Over Fist, Here Again, and Kid Gloves. Seems there’s nothing they won’t play, and in the course of randomly playing the whole catalog some “hits” will also come up.

I agree the “tribute” show from David Fricke was lame. (He even played a Zeppelin tune, under the pretense that “Neil was influenced by Zeppelin.” Mmkay.) I heard half the show and turned it off; too many Rush hits, and the biographical talk about Neil was stuff everyone knows... painting Neil in broad strokes. I’ll give Fricke this much credit: for years, he was the one guy at Rolling Stone who’d show Rush some respect.

OH MY GOD! I Think I'm Going Bald is on XM! NOW I've heard everything!!!

Fortunately the satellites are pointed at The Earth, rather than deep space.

LOL

So funny. I must be old.

Been listening to my RUSH CDs all weekend long. Remember those aluminum discs that sit in something called a compact disc player? I am sure my Japanese SHM pressings sound better than XM. I will always deviate from the current norm. Yuck!!! Long live real stereos and audiophile nerds who love hearing Rush music the way it should!!!

Subdivisions with two subwoofers. Sweet.

I will stick with the Analog Kid and the Digital Man. You Download Dorks and Satellite Sissies can have it. JMO Just My Option. LOL

NEIL RULES!

Deep Tracks channel 27 XM/Sirus this morning on my drive:

Hemispheres

Best I Can

Heresy

Yesterday:

The Necromancer

Fountain of Lamneth

Lock and Key

The Enemy Within

I can go on and on.....they have going super deep. Playing everything in the vault guys and gals. It's been great.

Edited by Todem

My only issue with the tribute channel is them playing songs from the first album. If this was a permanent channel, sure. But as a limited time tribute channel celebrating Neil, songs he didn't play on should be excluded. Also I have not heard a song from an album later than Presto myself.
  • Like 1

My only issue with the tribute channel is them playing songs from the first album. If this was a permanent channel, sure. But as a limited time tribute channel celebrating Neil, songs he didn't play on should be excluded. Also I have not heard a song from an album later than Presto myself.

I heard Clockwork Angels a bit ago. But you're right - the playlist seems to focus on pre-1990 material.

I heard Clockwork Angels a bit ago. But you're right - the playlist seems to focus on pre-1990 material.

That's a shame. I mean you have such brilliant albums like "Counterparts", "Vapor Trails", "Snakes and Arrows", etc. SiriusXM could do a proper tribute to the band and could perhaps take this opportunity to introduce newbies to Rush's brilliant discography through this channel. I do hope this channel stays on forever and not just for a limited time. Given the magnitude of their influence, Rush definitely deserves it! :)

Edited by preetha_1987

I've only heard Heresy and Ghost Of A Chance so far for post 1990 material. Definitely needs more Counterparts tracks. Anyway it started Hemispheres for me again online since I was in the middle of it going from the vehicle to the house, no complaints.

Jim Ladd said the channel ends tomorrow. :(

I've only heard Heresy and Ghost Of A Chance so far for post 1990 material. Definitely needs more Counterparts tracks. Anyway it started Hemispheres for me again online since I was in the middle of it going from the vehicle to the house, no complaints.

Jim Ladd said the channel ends tomorrow. :(

They played Face Up a couple of hours ago

• Like 1

Petition signed. Don't know if there's any reasonable chance of them giving Rush a dedicated channel .. but that would be amazing if they did. The Beatles channel does a good job at playing studio cuts, live cuts, influences, solo material, etc. They also have a lot of fascinating hosts and interviews and special bits. Doing the same approach to a Rush channel would be great, I would never turn it off (to the chagrin of everyone else in the car)!

Don't recall what all I heard last night besides more debut album stuff (Before and After (again) and In the Mood). The only 90s material I've heard so far is Neurotica from RTB .. nothing close to their more modern releases yet.

• Like 1

Jim snuck in Headlong Flight before Tom Sawyer and New World Man was played to right the balance. It seems they play no more than 3 or 4 deep cuts in a row before going back to the radio hits.

As an aside I also have it on Stingray Classic Rock on my TV and about 1 in 5 songs now is Rush, currently playing The Analog Kid.

Edited by yyzjam