Glioblastoma tough to treat, doctors say from CBC article

RushFanForever

As another forum member (78jazz) noted, Neil Peart passed on from the same brain cancer that claimed Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip in Oct. 2017. Here's an article from CBC below that provides an explanation about 'glioblastoma'.

Glioblastoma, brain tumour that took Gord Downie's life, tough to treat, doctors say

The members of RUSH and The Tragically Hip toured together and Geddy, Alex, and Neil appreciated their music as noted

and the talents and humanity of vocalist Gord Downie here.

Also, I saw this article here that was initially shared by a music journalist. However the piece should be taken with 'a grain of salt' (or 'a pinch of salt').

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

My Sister-in-Law is currently dying from one of these....forgive me if I am not too concerned about Peart at the moment.

Ouch!

All the best there. I suspect having this type of brain tumor isn't fun.

• Like 1

The CBC article was insightful. I recall seeing the Tragically Hip film Long Time Running, where it spoke about the surgical options how it can effect personality and the ability to communicate. It's devastating to imagine what Neil and his family have been through.

I'm very saddened to hear of Neil's passing. My mother died from a glioblastoma (GBM) at age 67, the same age as Neil. It's a terrible form of cancer because the cure rate is close to zero, the typical survival after diagnosis is only one to a few years, and the tumor has various cognitive, emotional, an physical impacts due to being in the brain. Unfortunately, Neil's final weeks and months may not have been easy.

My Sister-in-Law is currently dying from one of these....forgive me if I am not too concerned about Peart at the moment.

no offense, but I don’t think anyone here is asking you to be concerned about Peart. I’m sorry about what you and your family are going through, but if you don’t particularly care much about any of this, just don’t post. Let those of us that do care and want to mourn, do so.

no offense, but I don’t think anyone here is asking you to be concerned about Peart. I’m sorry about what you and your family are going through, but if you don’t particularly care much about any of this, just don’t post. Let those of us that do care and want to mourn, do so.

I've got news for you sunbeam...this is a public board so I can post whatever I want subject to admins permission...you certainly don't get tell me so f**k right off, ok?

I've got news for you sunbeam...this is a public board so I can post whatever I want subject to admins permission...you certainly don't get tell me so f**k right off, ok?

Well Fridge, I have known you for years. We both joined in 2006. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I love that this is a public forum and we can post whatever we want within good reason. You know me Fridge.

But seriously, forget what strangers say. You are a good man. Take care of your sister in law and yourself. I wish you and your family the best.

FUKK CANCER!

You are strong dude.

RUSH ON!

Earl

• Like 4

How ironic the median age for getting this disease is 64.

IIRC, something was mentioned about Gord Downie being young to get it but the age Neil was at the time of death was more the median.

Still sucks, even if tide after tide will flow and recede...

RIP to 1/3 of arguably the first progressive metal band ever.

Fridge, that's the great thing about the ignore feature.

I could never be pusillanimous enough to use that feature.....it's equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears and going la la la...