Does the music sound different to you now?

zappafrank

It does... a little...

Like, even though I knew the touring entity of Rush was gone and had long since made my peace with that, I knew that Rush wasn't gone. So the music was that much more alive and vibrant.

But now, Rush *is* gone... and the music sounds like it's on that other side of experience now...

• Like 1

Honestly from the time I was 15 and first heard them until now, they always seemed larger than life. I never met any of them (depsite trying) and would have been terrified or otherwise immobile if I ever had. I still view them as something superhuman. Well, all too human now.

F u c k, I don't know what I feel at this point.

I hate this.

• Like 3

I got the news of Neil's passing while I was at work and I don't normally listen to the FM radio while I am at work ,the store has its Muzak station 80's hits that plays constantly (and I am sick of it) so I decided to tune into my local rock station and heard of Neil's passing, they played Spirit of radio, Tom sawyer, Subdivisions, Closer to the heart and that was their little tribute to Neil while informing that he had passed, they sounded bittersweet, I listened to Rush on my way home and was listening to Ghost rider the original 2002 release and it sounded different to me because Neil had died and is now a Ghost rider and nothing can stop him not age, not illness, and we can be grateful that he did come out of that hole in his life and gave us what he gave us.
  • Like 3

Yes, it does.

Clockwork Angels before had this trodding feel, but now it feels much wiser?

The rest of the songs feel more cemented in my personal, and hopefully global, history than ever.

There's been tons of band and personal acts... There's something uniquely special about Rush.

RIP Neil

Haven't listened yet. Later, when the family is in bed.

:(

Gonna take Lerxst's suggestion and watch "Dinner with RUSH" for laughs.

Oh, do. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I watched it and it helped a lot.

Neil would be the first one to tell you to do it too.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Haven't listened yet. Later, when the family is in bed.

:(

Gonna take Lerxst's suggestion and watch "Dinner with RUSH" for laughs.

Oh, do. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I watched it and it helped a lot.

Neil would be the first one to tell you to do it too.

That linethat falls dead flat with Ged and Alex - "I don't even buy green bananas - my late father in law used to say that all the time.

Honestly from the time I was 15 and first heard them until now, they always seemed larger than life. I never met any of them (depsite trying) and would have been terrified or otherwise immobile if I ever had. I still view them as something superhuman. Well, all too human now.

F u c k, I don't know what I feel at this point.

I hate this.

Great to see you posting. Hope you're well. Still in Thailand?

I don't hear anything different, but I did direct all my attention to what I listened to and I listened to albums I often don't.

IDK if it sounds different as of now, but listening to the songs again particularly anything off Vapor Trails (i.e. Ghost Rider and How It Is) definitely brought new context for me now in light of Neil’s passing.

I listened to Rush on my way home and was listening to Ghost rider the original 2002 release and it sounded different to me because Neil had died and is now a Ghost rider and nothing can stop him not age, not illness, and we can be grateful that he did come out of that hole in his life and gave us what he gave us.

I got chills reading this. I'm such a sap.

Somehow, yeah. It does. Somehow it feels easier, like Neil could play all of this in his sleep, and like he wrote the words to every song from a place of sincere wisdom and deep experience. Not that any of that ever wasn't true, but it all feels cemented, final now. There's no longer anything to prove, any question why, just the experience left to behold. It's all glowing faintly with some new meaning, and a knowing smile.
  • Like 2

Somehow, yeah. It does. Somehow it feels easier, like Neil could play all of this in his sleep, and like he wrote the words to every song from a place of sincere wisdom and deep experience. Not that any of that ever wasn't true, but it all feels cemented, final now. There's no longer anything to prove, any question why, just the experience left to behold. It's all glowing faintly with some new meaning, and a knowing smile.

This. There's a finality to the music now. As if there were any doubt..

Edited by Alchemical
  • Like 1

I listened to Rush on my way home and was listening to Ghost rider the original 2002 release and it sounded different to me because Neil had died and is now a Ghost rider and nothing can stop him not age, not illness, and we can be grateful that he did come out of that hole in his life and gave us what he gave us.

I'm totally with you.

This is the first tune I listened to after reading of his passing on CNN online this morning. I stayed away from all music at work today and waited until I was alone at home so that I could take in the lyrics uninterrupted.

I haven’t felt the urge to listen to Rush in a long time. Today I’m going to start with PeW where it all started, for me, 40 years ago.

good choice. I thought about that but settled on Fly by Night, an album I often listened to when my dad was going through the last stages of his long battle with Alzheimer's, if for no other reason than I didn't have the mental energy to change the CD in my car stereo.

that one hit harder than Neil's death, of course, but I'll be feeling this one for a while...I'm not even sure it's fully comprehensible yet.

• Like 1