Tributes to Neil...

My son, who was just a little boy when I helped start TRF, is now a senior in college, majoring in Music Theory and Composition. He's a drummer also, and grew up listening to Rush. He recorded a couple of covers in tribute to Neil. Here's one:

http://youtu.be/-Aoa7_710RI

OH MY GOD HE GREW UP!!!! :) :) :) How WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! (and talented!!)

• Like 3

This week's Eddie Trunk podcast that just came out today has interviews (which I guess were from his Sirius XM show originally) with Taylor Hawkins and Nick Raskulinecz about Neil, which were very good. And Trunk said next week's podcast is going to be his interviews with Mike Portnoy and Andy Curran. He's really blowing out the Neil tribute theme over multiple weeks on the podcast, which is great for those of us who don't have satellite radio and wouldn't have heard these otherwise. Very much worth checking out.
  • Like 2

1579824449[/url'>' post='4722070']
1579816723' post='4722045']

My own tribute/thoughts on Neil.

https://andthenthere...-the-professor/

Thank you for posting/sharing that.

Aw, thanks Blue!

(By the way- 10th row at MSG, for the R40 show? Wow!!)

lol, it was great....

and thanks, Blue.

Edited by Laurabw

So, I felt inspired to work up a tribute lyric to the tune of "Losing It" from Signals.

Losing Neil

the drummer sits upon his throne

surveys his massive kit

eclectic pieces so arranged

for function and for fit

forty years or more

he'd propel the score

always keen to hone his skills

refining each performance

with perfected grooves and fills

his sticks fallen to the floor

he will keep the beat no more

the writer sits with pen in hand

and captures on the page

the thoughts that will inspire on

recordings and on stage

in a tour bus or hotel room

or Quebec in winter deep

expressing what life meant to him

as memories to share and keep

his notebook closed the final time

he has crafted his final rhyme

through word and song he moved the world

encouraged us to dream,

question, lose our fears, and

experience to extreme

sad we could not say goodbye

better for having known him

for you the guide who helped us see

the bell tolls for thee

• Like 2

Three kudos: one for being the first I have read of late to get 'the professor' origin right; two for not linking to Amazon; and three for the peart-felt tribute itself. True story: back in '78 when I bought my first Rush, AtWaS, I actually thought it did rhyme with heart (only then to believe for years that how everybody else was pronouncing it had been correct).

• Like 4

Three kudos: one for being the first I have read of late to get 'the professor' origin right; two for not linking to Amazon; and three for the peart-felt tribute itself. True story: back in '78 when I bought my first Rush, AtWaS, I actually thought it did rhyme with heart (only then to believe for years that how everybody else was pronouncing it had been correct).

Thank you! To my chagrin, I didn't know the origin of The Professor till yesterday! I got it on his own website.

And yeah, I'm quite pleased with my closing lines, myself.

I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you liked it!!

• Like 3

I know I'm probably not the only night owl here but did anyone else catch Eric McCormick on Seth Meyers last night where he talked about being a big Rush fan and was sad that Neil passed away? He said he was sitting in his car getting emotional while listening to Rush when someone saw him and said "it's ok you'll get another tv show" or something like that. Lol.

Edit: Here I found it. Skip to 1:35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_t69_tEWo

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 4

Ex-LAMB OF GOD Drummer CHRIS ADLER Pays Tribute To NEIL PEART: 'He Defined And Continues To Define The Drummer's Role'

"I've often been asked if I consider myself to be on his level. It's the wrong question and any answer is irrelevant.

"Alone he defined and continues to define the drummer's role. His outreach, as described above, is second to none and not definable. In many ways, he challenged me and in many ways showed me how.

"I've never listened to RUSH all that often, but its inescapable in my line of work.

"I'll miss him.

"Thank you, Neil."

https://www.blabberm...-drummers-role/

• Like 2

So, I felt inspired to work up a tribute lyric to the tune of "Losing It" from Signals.

surveys his massive kit

for function and for fit

surveys his massive kit

a flash of light, so very bright

a red globule is all that remains

Sorry - can't help myself. Every time I see the words drum throne, I have a Spinal Tap moment. Forgive me. I know that the inappropriateness goes to 11 here.

• Like 1

surveys his massive kit

for function and for fit

surveys his massive kit

a flash of light, so very bright

a red globule is all that remains

Sorry - can't help myself. Every time I see the words drum throne, I have a Spinal Tap moment. Forgive me. I know that the inappropriateness goes to 11 here.

it's OK, Neil always mentioned Stumpy Joe Pepys as on of his early influences.

• Like 3

I’m a bit surprised and disappointed that Phil Collins has not said anything about Neil. I don’t think they’ve ever met but they were both drumming legends in the 80s (Phil is my second favourite drummer) and Neil wrote a very complimentary article about Phil once. It just seems odd to me. Maybe I’m still sensitive about Neil’s passing and expect too much.

I’m a bit surprised and disappointed that Phil Collins has not said anything about Neil. I don’t think they’ve ever met but they were both drumming legends in the 80s (Phil is my second favourite drummer) and Neil wrote a very complimentary article about Phil once. It just seems odd to me. Maybe I’m still sensitive about Neil’s passing and expect too much.

I’ve always got the impression that those early 70s prog bands didn’t like rush all that much. Maybe jealousy for their sustained success for decades? Phil Collins and Bruford come across as bitter old dudes.

• Like 2

I’ve always got the impression that those early 70s prog bands didn’t like rush all that much. Maybe jealousy for their sustained success for decades? Phil Collins and Bruford come across as bitter old dudes.

I'm surprised Phil didn't say anything either. I don't see how Phil could be jealous of RUSH. Phil had and still has a very incredible solo career.

Perhaps Neil and Phil never reached out to each other over the decades.

It is what it is. I love both.

Have you even heard the Brand X song called "Nuclear Burn?" It features some of the greatest drumming by Phil Collins EVER! It blows my mind. Check it out if you have the time.

Endeavour to cite when our Neil expressed his grief at a brilliant, newly fallen peer,

and maybe, decide that, like Neil, he doesn't weave what is private to the public sphere.

On the other hand, maybe Xanadoood is right. Forget freedom of expression and the freedom from the "Limelight". It's envy that consumes these spiteful old dudes. Probably because they knew that they and their bandmates bore provenance to our centre stage hero and were quite decisive in his bands chosen musical direction. "How dare he!" they stew in their bitter old brew. Too bad they don't have social media postings wherein we can view their lonely attitudes and then duly spit into their Facespaces!

• Like 1