Tributes to Neil...

"And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak.

This is crushing to read. Knowing that Neil was so active physically and intellectually, and losing that ability a year ago, is heartbreaking.

Yes. This is all so sad to take in.

Very sad and perhaps too soon but not surprising given the extreme degenerative nature of the disease. If it's true, I don't have a problem with Sully sharing it. Given the sudden announcement, we all have some curiosity about Neil's final years. Sully doesn't have anything to gain by disclosing this, so I'd give him a pass. Given the collective emotional state we're in, it's easy to have a quick temper so don't take it out on the messenger.
  • Like 2

"And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak.

This is crushing to read. Knowing that Neil was so active physically and intellectually, and losing that ability a year ago, is heartbreaking.

Very sad and perhaps too soon but not surprising given the extreme degenerative nature of the disease. If it's true, I don't have a problem with Sully sharing it. Given the sudden announcement, we all have some curiosity about Neil's final years. Sully doesn't have anything to gain by disclosing this, so I'd give him a pass. Given the collective emotional state we're in, it's easy to have a quick temper so don't take it out on the messenger.

Maybe he should have waited until a more appropriate time to reveal details. Seems too raw now to think of Neil that way. It's a tad insensitive.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

If what Sully is saying is true, it doesn't really surprise me and I can't really fault him for revealing it at this stage, though I personally would prefer not to have known it. Being located in the brain and highly invasive, glioblastoma can have an array of detrimental effects, including effects on speech, memory, thought, emotions, movement, etc. I'm not religious, but if I was, God rest his soul.
  • Like 1

In an interview with Mistress Carrie of the Boston radio station WAAF, Sully Erna of GODSMACK opened up about the recent passing of Neil Peart and the profound impact the legendary RUSH drummer had on his musical upbringing.

Sully said (hear audio below): "Growing up, I will say that [Neil] was probably the single most influential musician in my life. If it wasn't him and and John Bonham [LED ZEPPELIN] — and Shannon Larkin [GODSMACK], by the way — that's my 'big three' [of drum influences]… Honestly, [Peart's] technique, his hands, his amazing rhythms is really what kind of tuned me up to become the drummer I became. Between Bonham and Neil Peart, those were the guys."

Over the years, Erna got the "surreal" opportunity to meet Neil multiple times and become "friends" with him. "The song 'Serenity' [from GODSMACK's 2003 album 'Faceless'], most people might not even know, was about [Neil's] book 'Ghost Rider: [Travels On The Healing Road]' that came out in 2002 about his life," Sully said. "And that's when I first got to meet him. And since then, I became really good friends with his assistant and we've always kept in touch. I think we may have one of the last on-camera interviews with Neil, recently, when he agreed to do an interview for the director of this feature documentary we're doing on my life story. He sat down in his whole drumming warehouse place and talked about me and Shannon's playing and our drum solo and how impressed he was with the whole thing. And then soon after that, I heard he had gotten sick."

According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut.

"When I got the call, man, it was like a big part of my life ended there too, because he was a tremendous influence [to me]," Erna added. "I can't even articulate how much this guy meant to me and how big of an inspiration he was and an influence on me being a musician. He was one of the 'everything' people in my life."

I don't believe him. Some people have to make themselves the center of attention no matter what is going on. Erna sounds like he is having problems with substance abuse again.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 5

Maybe he should have waited until a more appropriate time to reveal details. Seems too raw now to think of Neil that way. It's a tad insensitive.

How awful. For anyone. Of course when ones draws a line between the last R40 show and dying of such a disease, the last chunk of that line is naturally going to be in such a state, for those of us that have dealt with such things. I guess its an image Id just as soon not have in my brain. :(

In an interview with Mistress Carrie of the Boston radio station WAAF, Sully Erna of GODSMACK opened up about the recent passing of Neil Peart and the profound impact the legendary RUSH drummer had on his musical upbringing.

Sully said (hear audio below): "Growing up, I will say that [Neil] was probably the single most influential musician in my life. If it wasn't him and and John Bonham [LED ZEPPELIN] — and Shannon Larkin [GODSMACK], by the way — that's my 'big three' [of drum influences]… Honestly, [Peart's] technique, his hands, his amazing rhythms is really what kind of tuned me up to become the drummer I became. Between Bonham and Neil Peart, those were the guys."

Over the years, Erna got the "surreal" opportunity to meet Neil multiple times and become "friends" with him. "The song 'Serenity' [from GODSMACK's 2003 album 'Faceless'], most people might not even know, was about [Neil's] book 'Ghost Rider: [Travels On The Healing Road]' that came out in 2002 about his life," Sully said. "And that's when I first got to meet him. And since then, I became really good friends with his assistant and we've always kept in touch. I think we may have one of the last on-camera interviews with Neil, recently, when he agreed to do an interview for the director of this feature documentary we're doing on my life story. He sat down in his whole drumming warehouse place and talked about me and Shannon's playing and our drum solo and how impressed he was with the whole thing. And then soon after that, I heard he had gotten sick."

According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut.

"When I got the call, man, it was like a big part of my life ended there too, because he was a tremendous influence [to me]," Erna added. "I can't even articulate how much this guy meant to me and how big of an inspiration he was and an influence on me being a musician. He was one of the 'everything' people in my life."

I don't believe him. Some people have to make themselves the center of attention no matter what is going on. Erna sounds like he is having problems with substance abuse again.

To be honest I'd never heard of him before this interview. I'd heard of his band of course but I've never heard a single song or even one note of music from them. Maybe this is something to do with why he said as much as he said.

• Like 1

If what Sully is saying is true, it doesn't really surprise me and I can't really fault him for revealing it at this stage, though I personally would prefer not to have known it. Being located in the brain and highly invasive, glioblastoma can have an array of detrimental effects, including effects on speech, memory, thought, emotions, movement, etc. I'm not religious, but if I was, God rest his soul.

Can you imagine people having to battle this with no insurance? I will never stop fighting those in America trying to kill pre-existing conditions protections. America is only major country in WORLD that doesn't guarantee their citizens healthcare. Neil has commented on this before he got sick.

• Like 4

Can you imagine people having to battle this with no insurance? I will never stop fighting those in America trying to kill pre-existing conditions protections. America is only major country in WORLD that doesn't guarantee their citizens healthcare. Neil has commented on this before he got sick.

Belongs in SOCN

• Like 3

Relates to Neil and his situation.He had views about healthcare and cancer patients. Remember you as a Trump apologist so of course you would object to it.

Nope. But even if I was, this debate doesn't belong here.

• Like 3

Carmine Appice paid tribute to Neil Peart at last night's (Wednesday, January 15) Metal Hall Of Fame event at the Marriott Delta Garden Grove in Anaheim, California. The legendary RUSH drummer died on January 7 in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was 67 years old.

After a tribute to Peart by Modern Drummer's Billy Amendola, Appice took the stage to say (see video below): "I met Neil a few times. I wasn't a close friend. But the times I did hang with him, he was really the nicest guy — one of the most polite, really genuine kind of people. And he was always nice to everyone that I've seen around him when I hung out with him… I was around 10 years before Neil, so I wasn't [sitting around and saying], 'I wanna learn these RUSH songs, practice RUSH songs.' But Neil told me that he listened to some of the stuff I did that was an influence on him. And that really hit home with me, because when I heard that 'Tom Sawyer' track, I said, 'Man, that is some great playing.' … So I really had a lot of respect for him just on that one track. And his history is ridiculous. So, God bless Neil. Rest in peace."

His brother Vinnie is another great drummer from DIO/Black Sabbath days. Waiting to see tributes coming from many more great drummers.

• Like 1

Another one from a friend and fellow drummer. Comforting to know that Neil wasn't in pain.

https://www.facebook...157330470528303

Neil Ellwood Peart - 9/12/52 - 1/7/20

I want to thank all the people who have so kindly written, texted, posted or called regarding Neil's passing. Like so many, this has completely undone me and I haven't quite known where to start. I am working on something more substantial to be posted in the future when things have settled a little for everyone.

During the last three and a half years, Neil faced this brutal, aggressive brain cancer bravely, philosophically and with his customary humor, sometimes light and occasionally dark - all very characteristic of him, even given the serious situation and the odds handed to him at the time of the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. But he fought it. By his own request for privacy, few people knew, but his understandable response to this news in no way excludes or diminishes ALL of those who also knew him, worked with him or loved and admired him from up close, or at a distance. His tenacious approach to life served him well during these last years and although he primarily kept his own counsel, he retained his dignity, compassion, understanding and his deeply inquisitive nature, which never deserted him. Remarkably, considering the severity of his condition (glioblastoma) and through the resulting aftermath, he really had no pain. This was always my first question when I saw him.

“Any pain?” I asked.

“No pain”, came the reply.

What a blessing that was. We were all grateful for that.

For every one of us who loved him, near and far, this is a loss that is difficult and impossible to summarize in a few short paragraphs. The outpouring of love, respect and appreciation from every imaginable quarter for this extraordinary, singular talent and beautiful man with a mind like no one I have ever met, is touching beyond words. To those that had to guard and hold on to this information closely for three and a half years, for obvious and protective reasons; his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, his loving family, band, colleagues and friends, they have my undying admiration. You know who you are.

Apart from his deeply gifted, genius talent and prolific output, which he brilliantly displayed through music, lyric and prose writing and that staggering storehouse of knowledge across an array of subjects in multiple fields, he remained a kind, gentle, considerate and modest soul and a consummate gentleman… as well as an extraordinary friend. If you were his friend, you knew it and he understood how to be the best friend that you could ever hope to have. I think I speak for all, known and unknown to him, to say he will be deeply missed, eternally loved, appreciated and remembered for his many invaluable contributions to music, art and the written word. That will be forever celebrated.

Despite what he knew and we knew which was inevitable, I believe there is some sense of relief that this long, difficult odyssey has finally ended.

Thank you my dear friend, for passing this way. We are all richer for your presence and light in our lives.

������������������

Doane Perry - January 16th, 2020

Edited by Claude_verret
  • Like 14

The call at 50:15 is pretty heartbreaking

.https://www.youtube....zK84oBQ&t=3241s

A burden heavier than a mountain on your shoulders. :o

Someone made a comment on that clip concerning the official announcement of Neil's death:

This might be controversial but I'm PISSED that Rolling Stone got to break the news. They're so lame and corporate and did not respect Rush back in the day when it was fashionable to dump on Rush.

I hadn't considered that but how true....Jan Wenner & Co. did not deserve to be the ones to share the devastating news.

• Like 3

Another one from a friend and fellow drummer. Comforting to know that Neil wasn't in pain.

https://www.facebook...157330470528303

Neil Ellwood Peart - 9/12/52 - 1/7/20

I want to thank all the people who have so kindly written, texted, posted or called regarding Neil's passing. Like so many, this has completely undone me and I haven't quite known where to start. I am working on something more substantial to be posted in the future when things have settled a little for everyone.

During the last three and a half years, Neil faced this brutal, aggressive brain cancer bravely, philosophically and with his customary humor, sometimes light and occasionally dark - all very characteristic of him, even given the serious situation and the odds handed to him at the time of the diagnosis and subsequent surgery. But he fought it. By his own request for privacy, few people knew, but his understandable response to this news in no way excludes or diminishes ALL of those who also knew him, worked with him or loved and admired him from up close, or at a distance. His tenacious approach to life served him well during these last years and although he primarily kept his own counsel, he retained his dignity, compassion, understanding and his deeply inquisitive nature, which never deserted him. Remarkably, considering the severity of his condition (glioblastoma) and through the resulting aftermath, he really had no pain. This was always my first question when I saw him.

“Any pain?” I asked.

“No pain”, came the reply.

What a blessing that was. We were all grateful for that.

For every one of us who loved him, near and far, this is a loss that is difficult and impossible to summarize in a few short paragraphs. The outpouring of love, respect and appreciation from every imaginable quarter for this extraordinary, singular talent and beautiful man with a mind like no one I have ever met, is touching beyond words. To those that had to guard and hold on to this information closely for three and a half years, for obvious and protective reasons; his wife Carrie, daughter Olivia, his loving family, band, colleagues and friends, they have my undying admiration. You know who you are.

Apart from his deeply gifted, genius talent and prolific output, which he brilliantly displayed through music, lyric and prose writing and that staggering storehouse of knowledge across an array of subjects in multiple fields, he remained a kind, gentle, considerate and modest soul and a consummate gentleman… as well as an extraordinary friend. If you were his friend, you knew it and he understood how to be the best friend that you could ever hope to have. I think I speak for all, known and unknown to him, to say he will be deeply missed, eternally loved, appreciated and remembered for his many invaluable contributions to music, art and the written word. That will be forever celebrated.

Despite what he knew and we knew which was inevitable, I believe there is some sense of relief that this long, difficult odyssey has finally ended.

Thank you my dear friend, for passing this way. We are all richer for your presence and light in our lives.

������������������

Doane Perry - January 16th, 2020

Wow. Best one I’ve read so far.

• Like 1

Someone made a comment on that clip concerning the official announcement of Neil's death:

This might be controversial but I'm PISSED that Rolling Stone got to break the news. They're so lame and corporate and did not respect Rush back in the day when it was fashionable to dump on Rush.

I hadn't considered that but how true....Jan Wenner & Co. did not deserve to be the ones to share the devastating news.

For what it's worth, Jann sold Rolling Stone a couple years ago and isn't really involved in their editorial direction anymore outside of being a figurehead. And since that sale happened, they've been a lot more generally positive toward Rush. A lot of people who work there (David Fricke, for example) like Rush but Wenner was the one who didn't like Rush and didn't want the magazine to cover them positively. The reporter who broke the news of Neil's death, Brian Hiatt, was the same guy who wrote the 2015 cover story and was in the Time Stand Still doc and is a longtime fan who clearly has a relationship with the band/Neil/their people.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, Jann sold Rolling Stone a couple years ago and isn't really involved in their editorial direction anymore outside of being a figurehead. And since that sale happened, they've been a lot more generally positive toward Rush. A lot of people who work there (David Fricke, for example) like Rush but Wenner was the one who didn't like Rush and didn't want the magazine to cover them positively. The reporter who broke the news of Neil's death, Brian Hiatt, was the same guy who wrote the 2015 cover story and was in the Time Stand Still doc and is a longtime fan who clearly has a relationship with the band/Neil/their people.

I did not know that; thanks for the info. Fair enough, then!