Tributes to Neil...

The call at 50:15 is pretty heartbreaking

.https://www.youtube....zK84oBQ&t=3241s

A burden heavier than a mountain on your shoulders. :o

• Like 1

I gotta love Vernon Reid, in & between lots of twittering about, amongst other things, paying respect to the living, Sinead O'Connor, and likewise recently passed, Buck Henry, and yet managing to maintain over several days the energy of a slighted Rush fan with a chip on his shoulder. Choice tweets including but not limited to:

Vernon Reid

· Jan 10

Neil Peart. (Stunned silence)

· Jan 11

Metal Allegiance Tom Sawyer https://youtu.be/sYQKznQJv6M Remember this

@AlexSkolnick?!

· Jan 11

Rush embodied Rock & Roll in a way that transcended whether you were a fan or not-they did exactly what they wanted to do-exactly the way they wanted to do it. NO COMPROMISE. Love them - or not. RESPECT is totally due. Neil Peart fused Heart.Mind.Body. To a seamless whole. R.I.P.

· Jan 11

Thank you. Oddly, It occurs to me that the ONLY other band to fully achieve what Rush did is it’s EXACT opposite-The Grateful Dead.

· Jan 11

This is a day of Glorry as well as sadness. Neil Peart did the best that ANY of us can expect to do in a single lifetime. His Life’s Work in Rush speaks powerfully for itself now, & will continue beyond in his influence on countless creative people for generations to come.

· Jan 12

Rush - Red Sector A (Live "Grace Under Pressure" Tour) https://youtu.be/B3ytkyn3vUU That Ultimate Mullet! The CRISP Sexy Beast white suit! The lnsouciant Backwards Baseball Cap! Rush was a Rock Mountain, but NOT a Fashion Monolith! Lyrics at Neil’s SciFi paranoid dystopian BEST.

· Jan 12

The career & achievements of the band Rush are the single greatest indictment of what the

@RecordingAcadMISS. I say that, @LivingColour having won 2, & having been an NARAS governor at one time myself.

· Jan 12

Rush changed with the times- they’d worked with synths SINCE 2112- it wasn’t ABOUT fan’s harrumphing about what they don’t like. They made GREAT music at EVERY stage - however “dated” the sounds are smugly judged later on.

· Jan 12

No This Year’s Model music critic will EVER admit it about Neil’s lyrics - they’re too tribally dug in about how they feel about Rush, or more importantly, their fans to EVER reassess The Work minus the Down Their Noses attitude.

· Jan 12

Time Stand Still is one of Rush’s greatest songs. Arguably Neil Peart’s most painfully honest lyrics. Definitely one of, if not his best.

Lest one forget the drummer who's surviving two-thirds of his trio, also too-early passed:

Carl Palmer Remembers His One Meeting With the Late Neil Peart

1/13/2020 by Gary Graff neil-peart-dec-1977-uu-billboard-1548.jpg

Fin Costello/Redferns

Neil Peart from Rush posed at his drum kit in the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio on Dec. 17, 1977.

Progressive rock was a major part of Rush's make-up -- including, of course, Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Drummers Palmer and Peart had only one short meet-up, but as the "elder statesman" Palmer tells Billboard below, he had a great admiration for the late Peart, finding him to be a kindred spirit.

I only met Neil once, in Montreal, at a Rush concert. It was a brief encounter, no more than that. We talked about snare drums. I remember he was a shy man, but a very nice guy.

He helped move the boundaries in progressive rock music. That is for sure. As far as his playing, I would not say he was the most original player but he was always searching. That's what made him interesting. He had very good ideas overall and I commend him on that. The music of Rush was so dynamic it would be hard not to play well in a band like that. Neil always played well, and that’s the most important thing. He looked like, and sounded like, he was trying all the time. And that's why he was a great drummer, because 95% of the time he pulled it off!

The lyrics he wrote for Rush are fantastic. He really moved people. He was very well read and understood what he was saying. His wording was impeccable, and his storylines were fantastic. His lyrics stand out on their own, in addition to his excellent musicianship.

neil-peart-rush-1980-u-billboard-1548.jpg

Read More

Kenny Aronoff Remembers His Friend Neil Peart: 'Everything Had a Purpose'

There is no doubt my playing was an influence on Neil. I believe Rush liked ELP a lot. We were both being trios, and I was using and recording with electronics before most people. The very first record with a drum solo played electronically was recorded by me on the Brain Salad Surgery album on a track called "Toccata." Neil carried the flag on from there, in terms of using electronics in his solos. In the end, we had a lot in common.

I wish I could have helped him when he was having problems with his posture when playing; This was the period when he was trying to "re-invent himself,” as he put it. For the record, Neil tried to contact me when he was involved with Cathy Rich and the Buddy Rich memorial albums and shows; Unfortunately, I was busy at the time and could not commit to the project.

I will miss him.

Carl Palmer is a killer, well respected player, and this was a nice note from him.

And Carl has incredible chops, no question. But his rock output is pretty damn pedestrian, especially with Asia. To say NP "wasn't the most original player" is just dumb too.

Peart was one of a handful of players from the 70s you could say had an original and definitive style. I'd say Palmer influenced the rudiment side of Peart's playing quote a bit, as well as bringing swing elements into rock and prog.

But NP was ABSOLUTELY an original player: Peart's solos were written and rehearsed. Improvisation was kept at a minimum, as much as possible - he really didn't improvise in his solos (substantially) until after he started working with Erskine.. Other players did this, but not to the great extent Peart did. Also - the way Peart incorporated samples into his playing was revolutionary, especially considering his solo from A Show of Hands.

And no one was playing double-bass quad fills in pop music in the early 80s - a la Tom Sawyer.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 3

That in Pennsylvania?

Outside of Philly to the west...

I just found out its on many roads - the large company that runs the digital billboards put it everywhere. Sigh.

Awesome.

I love these individual unannounced organic tributes springing up all over the place like little points of light. Says a lot more than anything the music industry or Hollywood would ever come up with.

I'd also go as far as to say that OUR little band has special friends quietly everywhere, and we had a special "relationship" with them. Some of this is unique. Between the fans, and the legions of musicians calling out Neil... its impressive. Neil would have hated it :)

Measure of all of the work that he did and the humanity that was behind it. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded being recognized for the work.but that river of praise overflowed its banks a long time ago.

Brad Page from the great I'm In Love With That Song just posted his breakdown of "Subdivisions" today. He has some wonderful things to say about Neil throughout the episode.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9sb3ZldGhhdHNvbmcucG9kYmVhbi5jb20vZmVlZC54bWw&episode=Y2IxM2M0MDYtMzc2NS0xMWVhLThmM2UtNDNjYzM0OGQ1MjQ3&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwj2hu6rqofnAhVsplkKHZrWCFUQieUEegQIARAE&ep=6

• Like 1

Does anyone know why the Twitter tribute page to Neil has nothing new since yesterday? They were coming in fast and furious through yesterday so I can’t imagine them abruptly stopping all together. Or an I doing something wrong? (Not a tweeter)

Not sure what page you mean, but this one has plenty still. I wanted to post the one from Bill Ward yesterday, but the byzantine nature of interfacing the forums sucks my energy already at an ebb.

In an interview with Mistress Carrie of the Boston radio station WAAF, Sully Erna of GODSMACK opened up about the recent passing of Neil Peart and the profound impact the legendary RUSH drummer had on his musical upbringing.

Sully said (hear audio below): "Growing up, I will say that [Neil] was probably the single most influential musician in my life. If it wasn't him and and John Bonham [LED ZEPPELIN] — and Shannon Larkin [GODSMACK], by the way — that's my 'big three' [of drum influences]… Honestly, [Peart's] technique, his hands, his amazing rhythms is really what kind of tuned me up to become the drummer I became. Between Bonham and Neil Peart, those were the guys."

Over the years, Erna got the "surreal" opportunity to meet Neil multiple times and become "friends" with him. "The song 'Serenity' [from GODSMACK's 2003 album 'Faceless'], most people might not even know, was about [Neil's] book 'Ghost Rider: [Travels On The Healing Road]' that came out in 2002 about his life," Sully said. "And that's when I first got to meet him. And since then, I became really good friends with his assistant and we've always kept in touch. I think we may have one of the last on-camera interviews with Neil, recently, when he agreed to do an interview for the director of this feature documentary we're doing on my life story. He sat down in his whole drumming warehouse place and talked about me and Shannon's playing and our drum solo and how impressed he was with the whole thing. And then soon after that, I heard he had gotten sick."

According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut.

"When I got the call, man, it was like a big part of my life ended there too, because he was a tremendous influence [to me]," Erna added. "I can't even articulate how much this guy meant to me and how big of an inspiration he was and an influence on me being a musician. He was one of the 'everything' people in my life."

In an interview with Mistress Carrie of the Boston radio station WAAF, Sully Erna of GODSMACK opened up about the recent passing of Neil Peart and the profound impact the legendary RUSH drummer had on his musical upbringing.

Sully said (hear audio below): "Growing up, I will say that [Neil] was probably the single most influential musician in my life. If it wasn't him and and John Bonham [LED ZEPPELIN] — and Shannon Larkin [GODSMACK], by the way — that's my 'big three' [of drum influences]… Honestly, [Peart's] technique, his hands, his amazing rhythms is really what kind of tuned me up to become the drummer I became. Between Bonham and Neil Peart, those were the guys."

Over the years, Erna got the "surreal" opportunity to meet Neil multiple times and become "friends" with him. "The song 'Serenity' [from GODSMACK's 2003 album 'Faceless'], most people might not even know, was about [Neil's] book 'Ghost Rider: [Travels On The Healing Road]' that came out in 2002 about his life," Sully said. "And that's when I first got to meet him. And since then, I became really good friends with his assistant and we've always kept in touch. I think we may have one of the last on-camera interviews with Neil, recently, when he agreed to do an interview for the director of this feature documentary we're doing on my life story. He sat down in his whole drumming warehouse place and talked about me and Shannon's playing and our drum solo and how impressed he was with the whole thing. And then soon after that, I heard he had gotten sick."

According to Erna, he knew about Peart's battle with brain cancer "for a while," but was "asked, out of respect for Neil and the privacy he liked to live in, to just not say anything. But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed. "And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak. And it was just becoming more and more sad to me. And then I got the call a few days ago [letting me know about his death]. And they weren't supposed to release [an official statement about it] till [Friday], they told me, so I just chose to honor that request and keep my mouth shut.

"When I got the call, man, it was like a big part of my life ended there too, because he was a tremendous influence [to me]," Erna added. "I can't even articulate how much this guy meant to me and how big of an inspiration he was and an influence on me being a musician. He was one of the 'everything' people in my life."

Wow that was the first reference to wheelchair and not speaking I have seen. More sad than ever!

Wow that was the first reference to wheelchair and not speaking I have seen. More sad than ever!

Yeah some people might think he should have kept his mouth shut about that bit, I guess it's out there now so it's too late. Maybe Neil's people are ok with that bit of information being known.

Yeah some people might think he should have kept his mouth shut about that bit, I guess it's out there now so it's too late. Maybe Neil's people are ok with that bit of information being known.

Yes, incredibly sad. :(

I am listening to a good live version of Natural Science from 1980 as I’m typing this...THIS is the way I choose to remember him- firing off tremendous fill after tremendous fill, and all kinds of contrapuntal rhythms going on...that’s our Neil.

• Like 3

"And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak.

This is crushing to read. Knowing that Neil was so active physically and intellectually, and losing that ability a year ago, is heartbreaking.

• Like 3

Former QUEENSRŸCHE singer Geoff Tate discussed Neil Peart's legacy during an appearance last night (Wednesday, January 15) at the Metal Hall Of Fame event at the Marriott Delta Garden Grove in Anaheim, California. The legendary RUSH drummer died on January 7 in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was 67 years old.

Asked by The Metal Voice to comment on Neil's passing, Geoff said (see video below): "Neil Peart changed drumming for many people and really exposed to drumming to people who hadn't thought about it before past keeping the beat. He was a musician's musician, an incredible lyricist and an all-around really nice guy. I had the good fortune and opportunity to hang out with him several times in my life and he was always a gentleman and treated everybody around him with respect and dignity. [He was] an exceptional man."

• Like 4

Carmine Appice paid tribute to Neil Peart at last night's (Wednesday, January 15) Metal Hall Of Fame event at the Marriott Delta Garden Grove in Anaheim, California. The legendary RUSH drummer died on January 7 in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was 67 years old.

After a tribute to Peart by Modern Drummer's Billy Amendola, Appice took the stage to say (see video below): "I met Neil a few times. I wasn't a close friend. But the times I did hang with him, he was really the nicest guy — one of the most polite, really genuine kind of people. And he was always nice to everyone that I've seen around him when I hung out with him… I was around 10 years before Neil, so I wasn't [sitting around and saying], 'I wanna learn these RUSH songs, practice RUSH songs.' But Neil told me that he listened to some of the stuff I did that was an influence on him. And that really hit home with me, because when I heard that 'Tom Sawyer' track, I said, 'Man, that is some great playing.' … So I really had a lot of respect for him just on that one track. And his history is ridiculous. So, God bless Neil. Rest in peace."

• Like 2

"And then I knew it, even up to a year ago or so, he was in a wheelchair and he couldn't speak.

This is crushing to read. Knowing that Neil was so active physically and intellectually, and losing that ability a year ago, is heartbreaking.

Same here. Breaks my heart.