Tributes to Neil...

That in Pennsylvania?

Outside of Philly to the west...

I really don't NEED to make a road trip for this.....I'll just keep repeating that.

We were just in the area over the weekend for a wedding- I missed this somehow! Now I'm 2 hrs. away. :(

I assume you didnt wear your Crosby stuff ;) I heard about this and couldnt believe it. This band, special, and the fans, special.

• Like 1

That in Pennsylvania?

I just found out its on many roads - the large company that runs the digital billboards put it everywhere. Sigh.

Awesome.

I love these individual unannounced organic tributes springing up all over the place like little points of light. Says a lot more than anything the music industry or Hollywood would ever come up with.

• Like 3

That in Pennsylvania?

I just found out its on many roads - the large company that runs the digital billboards put it everywhere. Sigh.

Awesome.

I love these individual unannounced organic tributes springing up all over the place like little points of light. Says a lot more than anything the music industry or Hollywood would ever come up with.

I'd also go as far as to say that OUR little band has special friends quietly everywhere, and we had a special "relationship" with them. Some of this is unique. Between the fans, and the legions of musicians calling out Neil... its impressive. Neil would have hated it :)

• Like 2

Seems Kevin J Anderson was also in the know, at least in the last few months:

Kevin J. Anderson

17 hrs ·

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.

Just when I thought I was done with tears.....damn. I can’t imagine how strong Neil was....

• Like 4

GREAT tribute page from Hudson Music. Very long with many, many people weighing in with personal accounts of Neil. Well done Hudson Music!

https://hudsonmusic.com/neil-peart/

If you have the time, the above is worth it. Via Joe Bergamini's contribution, I searched "Chris Stankee", who I was unfamiliar with, and found the following (brace yourself):

chrisstankee

In August of 2016, Bubba wrote to me from his place in Quebec where he spent every August. “So... We’re having a brain tumor. I’m fine. Don’t freak out. And don’t put it on Facebook!” To which I replied, “Good! Maybe it’ll dumb you down just enough that the rest of us will understand what the hell you’re talking about most of the time!” You see, if you made him laugh, which wasn’t easy to do because Lerxt and Craggie set the bar so high most of his life, you’d be rewarded with his bellowing laugh that betrayed his normally soft spoken and composed demeanor. I’ll never forget that laugh as long as I live. He said “we’re” having a tumor because he knows all to well the effects of cancer on loved ones. Hell, who doesn’t, right? He wanted it kept quiet because that was his way. Geddy and I spoke the other night about how hard that was for us to bottle that up the last 3.5 years. To those I was able to confide in, I thank you. To those who I had to deflect and change the subject when asked, I’m sorry. I know you understand. To have shared in his adventures is my life’s honor. I’m grateful for the friendships, now family formed in his circle. They know who they are. We share your grief and are comforted by your tributes. He would hate all the fuss, but would understand. We all knew him as a supreme musician, writer, adventurer etc. But also know he was this. A thoughtful father, reading to his daughter, her head on his shoulder, holding her hand. “Freeze this moment a little bit longer. Make each sensation a little bit stronger. Time Stand Still.” He loved that album. We listened to it often, on 10. I invite you to do the same. I’ll see you again friend and we shall revel!♥️ #neilpeart

• Like 4

Blown away by many of these tributes, Philip Wilding was full of lovely memories, Kevin J. Anderson really choked me up. I was amazed at Bret Stephens piece in NYT. Never thought I would ever have much to agree with him, Rush brings so many together.

I had to go in comments and look and of course comment (as I do every so often). But I was struck by this comment and I share it to show how Rush transcends nationality, they are loved around the world.

S. Armin

Tehran, Iran

4h ago

It feels really strange sitting here in Tehran and writing about Neil’s passing in the midst of all these turmoil around us. Growing up in Iran western music was banned, in all its shapes or forms. Listening to RUSH back then was an unforgettable experience; their “2112” album was as if it was written about us in that time. The power of rock music is universal and Neil understood it, he expressed himself courageously and honestly. Thank you for continues inspirations. RIP. S. Armin Tehran, Iran

All I can say is wow :clap:

• Like 5

Nothing from Stewart Copeland yet?

I am guessing that the closer to Neil they were, the more likely they'll be reticent to let fly on the likes of le Twit, and more likely to either issue radio silence, use their standard web pages to issue statements, and/or, as the case may be, grieve until such time as a grand fan-friendly tribute of sorts is arranged.

That said, on his Facebook there is this along with a nice psychedelic image.

Stewart Copeland

17 hrs · Miss you already Neptune. Ginger, Mitch and John have your chariot ready for your ride to Valhalla.

primusville

"Another genius has left the planet. Not enough can be said about the talent and influence of #NeilPeart. As a musician he was unparalleled, blasting open huge doors into the realms of new percussive stratospheres. As a lyricist he was like the Ray Bradbury of rock, penning rhymes that evoke imagery both cerebral and tactile. As a friend he was a pensive, sharp-witted intellect whom I looked up to and admired greatly. I was very fortunate to have played with him, laughed with him and rode with him at excessive speeds in one of his many exotic vehicles. I'm still trying to fathom how greatly he will be missed." - Les Claypool

And this is from Tool's website:

Sadly, very sadly, RUSH's great drummer, Neil Peart, has passed at 67. Members of Tool were big fans (along with all prog musicians around the world) and offer their heartfelt condolences.

Thank you.

I'm not into social media at all. No FB account. Definitely no Twitter.

And I am taking care of my husband, so I have not the time to go through these threads at the end of my taxing day looking for who said what, so I appreciate your answering me. :)

• Like 1

Words of Mondragon (Facebook)

Bravado

We swapped back at school

their music on tape

I knew these guys rule

my secret escape

A mystical space

that no-one would see

three heroes for life

and dreamers like me

They gave all their heart

for music played live

still had their own chart

and their turn to drive

Retiring from tour

was hard to believe

and decades for sure

they made them feel brief

The genius behind

the lyrics and drums

most brilliant mind

and wizard on toms

A music's white knight

of rare poetry

he just lost his fight

a brave man to be

Though he rode away

from his haunting ghost

and chose here to stay

when fate left him most

As hard as he fought

and stood all his fright

he finally got caught

went into the night

Words and melody

remain in the end

but it feels to me

like I've lost a friend

© TM 2020

In memory of the magnificent Neil Peart

Drummer and lyricist of Rush

• Like 1

Neil Peart statue pitched for Lakeside Park in St. Catharines

Kelly Edgar says he enthusiastically added his name to an online petition calling on the City of St. Catharines to honour Rush drummer Neil Peart.

The petition — launched on website change.org by St. Catharines resident Tony McLaughlin following reports of Peart's death last week — calls on the city to commemorate his ties to the community by erecting a plaque or statue of him at Lakeside Park — a place the celebrated lyricist immortalized in song.

As of Monday afternoon, the petition had garnered nearly 9,000 names.

"Neil spent a lot of his youth in Port Dalhousie as can be heard in the famous song he penned 'Lakeside Park,'" McLaughlin wrote in the petition, calling such an initiative "an amazing tribute."

https://www.stcathar...1qLoHU.facebook

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 7

GREAT tribute page from Hudson Music. Very long with many, many people weighing in with personal accounts of Neil. Well done Hudson Music!

Fantastic and humbling.

I love this line from Michael Hoff

"A quote I read just after his passing sums it up succinctly: “This man is your favorite drummer’s FAVORITE DRUMMER”. I can’t think of a better way to sum up his influence on so many…"

• Like 6

Steve Smith is an absolute monster drummer, and his tribute to Neil was beautiful.

I tried to argue with a Rush fan on Twitter a couple years ago that although Neil will always be my #1 drummer/fav drummer and is the best drummer when combining creativity, style, and chops, Steve Smith is a better "all around" drummer than Neil IMO. Steve can play so many styles flawlessly. Even Neil has said this. I tried to explain that music is subjective and that there really are no "bests", only favorites. They got pissed off and blocked me.

If I had to go by all out chops and ability to play all styles, the best living drummer right now is Vinny Colaiuta. I think maybe Neil would have agreed with this too although Neil was obviously inspired by Steve Smith and Smith's earlier teacher, Freddie Gruber.

The Prog Report podcast did a Neil tribute on Friday

https://progreport.c...-of-neil-peart/

The Rock & Metal Combat podcast did a Neil tribute plus a long Rush discography review on Saturday

https://wadzilla74.p...sh-discography/

The Hook Rocks podcast did a Neil tribute on Sunday.

https://www.stitcher...ocks/e/66527958

The Something For Nothing Fancast did a Neil tribute on Monday

https://somethingfor...-21-afterimage/

Chris Jericho just did a "Tribute To Neil" podcast which just dropped today!

https://omny.fm/shows/talk-is-jericho/a-farewell-to-the-king-reflections-of-neil-peart

Edited by jbroad
  • Like 2

Lest one forget the drummer who's surviving two-thirds of his trio, also too-early passed:

Carl Palmer Remembers His One Meeting With the Late Neil Peart

1/13/2020 by Gary Graff neil-peart-dec-1977-uu-billboard-1548.jpg

Fin Costello/Redferns

Neil Peart from Rush posed at his drum kit in the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio on Dec. 17, 1977.

Progressive rock was a major part of Rush's make-up -- including, of course, Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Drummers Palmer and Peart had only one short meet-up, but as the "elder statesman" Palmer tells Billboard below, he had a great admiration for the late Peart, finding him to be a kindred spirit.

I only met Neil once, in Montreal, at a Rush concert. It was a brief encounter, no more than that. We talked about snare drums. I remember he was a shy man, but a very nice guy.

He helped move the boundaries in progressive rock music. That is for sure. As far as his playing, I would not say he was the most original player but he was always searching. That's what made him interesting. He had very good ideas overall and I commend him on that. The music of Rush was so dynamic it would be hard not to play well in a band like that. Neil always played well, and that’s the most important thing. He looked like, and sounded like, he was trying all the time. And that's why he was a great drummer, because 95% of the time he pulled it off!

The lyrics he wrote for Rush are fantastic. He really moved people. He was very well read and understood what he was saying. His wording was impeccable, and his storylines were fantastic. His lyrics stand out on their own, in addition to his excellent musicianship.

neil-peart-rush-1980-u-billboard-1548.jpg

Read More

Kenny Aronoff Remembers His Friend Neil Peart: 'Everything Had a Purpose'

There is no doubt my playing was an influence on Neil. I believe Rush liked ELP a lot. We were both being trios, and I was using and recording with electronics before most people. The very first record with a drum solo played electronically was recorded by me on the Brain Salad Surgery album on a track called "Toccata." Neil carried the flag on from there, in terms of using electronics in his solos. In the end, we had a lot in common.

I wish I could have helped him when he was having problems with his posture when playing; This was the period when he was trying to "re-invent himself,” as he put it. For the record, Neil tried to contact me when he was involved with Cathy Rich and the Buddy Rich memorial albums and shows; Unfortunately, I was busy at the time and could not commit to the project.

I will miss him.

• Like 3