Tributes to Neil...

My friend, former Army bud, and former bandmate remembers Neil. Not a bad tribute to, his 2nd favorite drummer lol. The debates about Peart Vs. Bonham were legend.

How's the Goatnut populace taking the news?

Good to see you again. :hi:

In retrospect, obvious to see that in May of 2018 his sickness was eating away at him. How was this for a comment someone made of the photo: Bubba looks like he's dropped a lot of weight. Hopefully, no health issue there...

i saw that, it’s awful now, knowing what we know. But there was another photo of him in California in 2018 and he looked great, not as thin and old.

apparently it came about summer 2016, per the post that Chris Stankee from Sabian made, the one that’s hitting the Fb groups tonight.

• Like 1

Peter Erskine

@petererskine

Jan 11 Rest In Peace, Neil. You were as brilliant as you were humble, and truly one of the most remarkable men I've come to know. Keep swingin'.

Dave Weckl

@davewecklmusic

Jan 11 I’m so sad to hear about Neil Peart’s passing... my times spent with him, whether around drums or cars were always educational, inspiring and a whole lot of fun.... RIP Maestro - thank you for all your wonderful contributions to the drumming world... Dave Weckl

• Like 3

Nothing from Stewart Copeland yet?

I am guessing that the closer to Neil they were, the more likely they'll be reticent to let fly on the likes of le Twit, and more likely to either issue radio silence, use their standard web pages to issue statements, and/or, as the case may be, grieve until such time as a grand fan-friendly tribute of sorts is arranged.

That said, on his Facebook there is this along with a nice psychedelic image.

Stewart Copeland

17 hrs · Miss you already Neptune. Ginger, Mitch and John have your chariot ready for your ride to Valhalla.

primusville

"Another genius has left the planet. Not enough can be said about the talent and influence of #NeilPeart. As a musician he was unparalleled, blasting open huge doors into the realms of new percussive stratospheres. As a lyricist he was like the Ray Bradbury of rock, penning rhymes that evoke imagery both cerebral and tactile. As a friend he was a pensive, sharp-witted intellect whom I looked up to and admired greatly. I was very fortunate to have played with him, laughed with him and rode with him at excessive speeds in one of his many exotic vehicles. I'm still trying to fathom how greatly he will be missed." - Les Claypool

And this is from Tool's website:

Sadly, very sadly, RUSH's great drummer, Neil Peart, has passed at 67. Members of Tool were big fans (along with all prog musicians around the world) and offer their heartfelt condolences.

• Like 7

Jason Isbell

https://twitter.com/...745502265802752

Jason is one of my other favorite lyricists...right up there with Neil. His song Elephant, dealing with the process of watching a friend or loved one battle and ultimately succumb to cancer is f***ing gut wrenching and a song I haven't been able to listen to since losing a best friend to cancer a few months ago. Having the memory of his quick deterioration and passing so fresh in my mind...and now Neil...my heart absolutely breaks for his family, Geddy, Alex and everyone close to the Peart family.

F bomb early on in the song so NSFW w/o headphones.

She said, "Andy, you're better than your past"

Winked at me and drained her glass

Cross-legged on a barstool, like nobody sits anymore

She said, "Andy, you're taking me home"

But I knew she planned to sleep alone

I'd carry her to bed, sweep up the hair from her floor

If I'd f***ed her before she got sick

I'd never hear the end of it

She don't have the spirit for that now

We just drink our drinks and laugh out loud

And bitch about the weekend crowd

And try to ignore the elephant somehow

Somehow

She said, "Andy, you crack me up"

Seagram's in a coffee cup

Sharecropper eyes, and the hair almost all gone

When she was drunk, she made cancer jokes

Made up her own doctors' notes

Surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone

But I'd sing her classic country songs

And she'd get high and sing along

She don't have a voice to sing with now

We burn these joints in effigy

And cry about what we used to be

Try to ignore the elephant somehow

Somehow

I buried her a thousand times, given up my place in line

But I don't give a damn about that now

There's one thing that's real clear to me

No one dies with dignity

We just try to ignore the elephant somehow

Somehow

Somehow

Edited by Claude_verret
  • Like 1

Jason Isbell

https://twitter.com/...745502265802752

Jason is one of my other favorite lyricists...right up there with Neil. His song Elephant, dealing with the process of watching a friend or loved one battle and ultimately succumb to cancer is f***ing gut wrenching and a song I haven't been able to listen to since losing a best friend to cancer a few months ago. Having the memory of his quick deterioration and passing so fresh in my mind...and now Neil...my heart absolutely breaks for his family, Geddy, Alex and everyone close to the Peart family.

F bomb early on in the song so NSFW w/o headphones.

She said, "Andy, you're better than your past"

Winked at me and drained her glass

Cross-legged on a barstool, like nobody sits anymore

She said, "Andy, you're taking me home"

But I knew she planned to sleep alone

I'd carry her to bed, sweep up the hair from her floor

If I'd f***ed her before she got sick

I'd never hear the end of it

She don't have the spirit for that now

We just drink our drinks and laugh out loud

And bitch about the weekend crowd

And try to ignore the elephant somehow

Somehow

She said, "Andy, you crack me up"

Seagram's in a coffee cup

Sharecropper eyes, and the hair almost all gone

When she was drunk, she made cancer jokes

Made up her own doctors' notes

Surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone

But I'd sing her classic country songs

And she'd get high and sing along

She don't have a voice to sing with now

We burn these joints in effigy

And cry about what we used to be

Try to ignore the elephant somehow

Somehow

I buried her a thousand times, given up my place in line

But I don't give a damn about that now

There's one thing that's real clear to me

No one dies with dignity

Somehow

Somehow

Love Jason Isbell- but I have to say I’m surprised (but pleasantly) to see a tribute to Neil, from him- only because their musical orbits are so different.

All the same, it warms my heart.

My friend, former Army bud, and former bandmate remembers Neil. Not a bad tribute to, his 2nd favorite drummer lol. The debates about Peart Vs. Bonham were legend.

How's the Goatnut populace taking the news?

Good to see you again. :hi:

Well...I put on Red Barchetta immediately upon hearing the news, and embraced my two boys, 14 and 11.

I told them...never leave anything unsaid.

• Like 6

Seems Kevin J Anderson was also in the know, at least in the last few months:

Kevin J. Anderson

17 hrs ·

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.

• Like 14

Seems Kevin J Anderson was also in the know, at least in the last few months:

Kevin J. Anderson

17 hrs ·

At least I got to say goodbye. As it became clear that the time was getting close, I frantically looked for when I could schedule a trip to LA to see Neil, but if you’ve followed my posts, you know that this was one of my most crammed years for travel, as well as my two-week Residency at college. I also flew out to Arizona four times to see my dad as he was in the last stages of liver cancer. (He died July 27.)

I stared at the calendar and it just didn’t seem possible to add another trip, never home for more than one or two days at a time. Screw it. I contacted Neil, “Are you free for lunch Tuesday? I’ll come to LA.” He was. I bought a ticket, got on a plane in the morning, flew to LAX, caught an Uber and went to the Cave (Neil’s private sanctuary). He was glad to see me, we talked for an hour, and we discussed Clockwork Destiny, even though we both knew it would never be finished in time for him to read it.

We went out to a nice lunch and on the way back, he asked, “So what brings you to LA? Do you have a conference?” I was surprised. “No, I came to see you.” He was clearly dubious. “No, why are you really here?” “I came to see you. I fly back home this afternoon.” He paused for a long time, trying to get his head around the idea. Anybody who knew Neil will understand it. He just didn’t let himself believe that someone would do that.

Back at the Cave, we talked some more, but he was starting to lose energy and needed to rest, so I called an Uber to take me to the airport. Standing in the doorway he gave me a big hug—because he was about a foot taller than me—and I told him how much he meant to me, and he said he loved me. And that’s the last time I saw him, and now I can’t stop crying. I’m so glad I did it, and I couldn’t have written it better if I tried. At least I got to say goodbye, and I will treasure that always.

I thought i was done getting choked up. Goddamnit.

• Like 13

https://reason.com/2020/01/13/neil-peart-champion-of-individualism/

From reason.com, a (usually) libertarian publication.

Mike Portnoy, a longtime friend of Neil Peart's, says that he was aware for quite a while that the late RUSH drummer was battling brain cancer. "Yeah, I've known for about two years now and was held to secrecy," the former DREAM THEATER drummer said during an appearance earlier today (Monday, January 13) on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation". "It was something that he and everybody in his camp, obviously, went to great lengths to keep private and keep secret. And that was Neil — he was a very, very private guy.

"Even though I've known for this amount of time and I kind of have had time to psychologically prepare for [his passing] knowing that it was inevitably coming, it didn't make it any less shocking; it just took the wind out of me when I heard it on Friday. [For] the whole rest of the world that didn't know about this, this must [have come] completely out of nowhere — I can't imagine how shocking it must be."

Asked when the last contact was that he had with Peart, Mike said: "I saved all of the e-mails he sent me, and last night I went reading through a whole bunch of 'em and I broke down crying — it really hit me hard last night; I had a big, big cry reading some of these e-mails from him.

"You've read his books, you're read his tour programs, you've read his blogs on his web site, and that's the way he wrote even in his e-mails," he continued. "So whenever I would get an e-mail from him, it was very, very lengthy, very thorough, went into a lot of details of whatever he was going through.

"But in answer to your question, the last e-mail I got from him was a little over a year ago," he said. "He sent me a holiday e-mail with a photo of him in a Santa Claus hat, and some photos with his daughter, Olivia, who's been growing up. He would always send me photos of them dressed up for the holidays or reading books together and things like that.

"I feel so much gratitude and I was just so lucky and fortunate to have had that kind of relationship with him, because I know how few people did," Mike added. "So it's such an honor for me to have had that relationship with him the last 15 years or so.

"The last time I saw him was when I saw the farewell tour [in 2015] — I went and saw the show up in Boston, and I brought my son Max to see the show. And knowing that they were retiring, I knew it was possibly the last time we'd see him play — obviously, not thinking this was gonna happen. So that was the last time I saw him. And he was, as always, so generous and let Max come up and play his kit and gave Max some signed heads and sticks and opened up his dressing room to us. So that was the last time I physically saw him. And then there were two e-mails after that."

According to Portnoy, the last three days have been "surreal" as he has had to come to terms with the loss of his friend and and one of his biggest musical influences. " I've just been in a horrible fog for the last couple of days," he said. "I've been doing a lot of interviews for radio tributes like this and other things like that. So it's been nice to keep talking about Neil and remembering him and posting about him online. But it hurts, man. This one's a big one — for me, personally. I haven't felt like this since maybe John Lennon or John Bonham or Frank Zappa. It hits on that level as a fan, as it does for millions of RUSH fans around the world. But this has a whole new level for me as well, because I didn't know John Lennon or John Bonman or Frank Zappa, but Neil I did know and had a relationship with. So there's that whole level as well, which just makes it just horrible. It's just been a rough, rough weekend."

• Like 3

That in Pennsylvania?

Outside of Philly to the west...

I really don't NEED to make a road trip for this.....I'll just keep repeating that.

We were just in the area over the weekend for a wedding- I missed this somehow! Now I'm 2 hrs. away. :(