Tributes to Neil...

1578771791[/url]' post='4717170']

oh shit, I hadn’t cried today until I watched this one. That’s so f***ing beautiful. Good for him for such a class move and beautiful tribute

Yeah, that one hits hard... Extremely emotional listening to that.

Edited by Phantom
  • Like 1

In this way, drumming is just like life, if you look at it as metaphor for how you approach your life, your relationships, your commerce with the universe. Life is full of these moments. It’s an accumulation of moments, really. And one must deal with the spontaneity of life. As I said in the song ‘Time & Motion,’ we ‘spin a thread of precious contact’ with others on our journey, and these relationships add to the state of flux. It’s the journey that counts. And the journey never ends.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

oh shit, I hadn’t cried today until I watched this one. That’s so f***ing beautiful. Good for him for such a class move and beautiful tribute

Yeah, that one hits hard... Extremely emotional listening to that.

Ditto. Really got to me

Kenny Aronoff Remembers His Friend Neil Peart: 'Everything Had a Purpose'

1/11/2020 by Gary Graff

When Kenny Aronoff wanted a foreword for his 2016 memoir Sex, Drums, Rock 'n' Roll!: The Hardest Hitting Man in Show Business, he went right to his friend Neil Peart. "I wanted someone who understood me," Aronoff recalls to Billboard. "We had met and he had similar tastes in all kinds of things so I felt he'd be best for the job." The two had met when Peart asked Aronoff -- whose voluminous credits include John Mellencamp, Chickenfoot, Smashing Pumpkins and, most recently, John Fogerty, Joe Satriani and Jerry Lee Lewis -- to play on his two Burning for Buddy albums during the mid-'90s. They stayed in touch ever since, and in the wake of Peart's death he recalls their friendship and Peart's impact and influence.

With Neil, it didn't surprise me, but in this crazy day and age of Headline News and all kinds of world drama, Neil passing really affected drummers and the music industry and people in general. My brother's a psychoanalyst and he knew who Neil Peart and Rush were, and he felt bad. Neil dying triggered all kinds of stuff. With Rush there was no band that sounded like that. They owned their own island, so to speak. They were their own country, their own thing, so a lot of people knew who they were and they just tapped into people's hearts and minds and people loved that band. When you lose one-third of the band, it's huge.

What made Neil so special is he invented a style. Just like Jimi Hendrix did on guitar or Eddie Van Halen. Every so often somebody comes around and does something that nobody else did, and Neil did that; he created his own style of drumming that nobody had. Sure, you can say he was influenced by this or influenced by that, but ultimately he created a unique style and it was very technical and it worked perfect for the band. His style of drumming influenced the kind of music Rush did. He was so musical -- odd meters, drum fills that were very technical. But it was not showing off. Anything he did, it had a purpose in the song and related to the lyrics and the music. Nothing was by mistake. Everything had a purpose, every single drum fill.

I met him when I did the Burning for Buddy CDs in New York City. I was the last drummer to play on it. He was taller than I expected. He was skinny and looked great -- really thin, dapper, really cool. And I was blown away by his low voice: "Hi Kenny." It was just this low voice. He was very proper and very nice, warm. We got right down to business. And the next time I met him I was in Canada at Morin-Heights, recording, and he pops his head in ... We wound up doing some [recording] together and when we got done with that we drove one of his cool cars -- he had old cars that were immaculate -- with the top down, listening to jazz. We got to his beautiful house up on a ridge in the woods. There was a lake out there, and he pointed out to it and said, "I own that island, and my wife and daughter" -- who sadly passed away later -- "they go and camp out and we do Morse code back and forth." So we sat and we had some scotch and a couple tokes on a joint and we listened to both CDs of Burning for Buddy and laughed and commented on how all these great drummers played. And then he drove me back to where I was staying.

He was such a gentle, sweet man. Every time we'd talk it was always cool; it wasn't even about drumming so much. When he wrote the foreword for my autobiography, he wanted to see some chapters to get a feel for what the book is about, and that was a smart move because he got personally involved with the book so he could write a foreword that meant something and that he could relate to. And I saw the last time, I think, in L.A. when [Rush] played there on their final tour. He got me tickets to come see him play, and I saw him afterwards. He had a place there where he kept his drums and his car and an office where he'd write; he invited me to come see him, but of course me being so busy I never did.

I knew something was wrong with him a couple of years ago, but I was asked not to say anything, so I didn't. I reached out to him a couple of times last year, just to say, "Hey, how you doing?" Somebody close to the family was trying to put us together for a dinner, and the word that came back was he wasn't feeling up to it. He wasn't feeling good. I think he was pretty bummed out because he loved his family, and when he finally stopped playing with Rush and that chapter was over he was going to devote all his time to his family, and writing. And then this [brain cancer] showed up right when he was making the transition.

I can say I'm really happy for him that even though he's not physically with us, he's getting such a great, loving response to his contribution. If anybody believes in legacy or likes legacy, he certainly has created one.

• Like 9

Judas Priest

@judaspriest

Judas Priest send out love and condolences for Neil Peart, his family, band mates, friends and fans around the world -

Neil's legendary drum work and inimitable style will always resound in rock n roll

• Like 4

THIN LIZZY guitarist Scott Gorham has paid tribute to RUSH drummer Neil Peart, who died on Tuesday (January 7) in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer.

"I was shocked & saddened to hear that Neil Peart, percussionist and lyricist extraordinaire with Canadian band RUSH has passed away," Scott wrote on social media earlier today (Saturday, January 11). "In the 70's THIN LIZZY was privileged to tour with RUSH in the States and I recall how blown away we were when we saw the band perform for the first time, especially Neil's drumming. We had so much fun in that tour, plus we learned so much from all the guys in the band."

He continued: "RUSH were only a three piece band, so Neil became a major part of the RUSH sound and feel. Neil never demanded respect, it was freely given by all of us in the music community and the fans.

"Rest well Neil, you will continue to be an inspiration for many aspiring drummers, setting a standard many will be measured by. An exceptional and highly regarded individual, who also overcame great personal tragedy, will be greatly missed by his band mates Geddy and Alex, his family, friends and fans around the world."

• Like 5

WINGER and DIXIE DREGS drummer Rod Morgenstein has paid tribute to Neil Peart, who died on Tuesday (January 7) in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. The iconic RUSH drummer was 67 years old.

Earlier today (Saturday, January 11), Rod took to his social media to write: "Neil Peart was a Renaissance man. Most of us know him as the iconic drummer and lyricist of RUSH. But beyond his exceptional talents in the world of music, Neil's zest for life, thirst for knowledge, and quest for adventure led him down many paths.

"I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Neil in 1985, when the STEVE MORSE BAND toured with RUSH as their opening act on the band's 'Power Windows' Tour.

"Most touring musicians will attest to the absolute joy and excitement of bringing their music to audiences around the globe. Most of these same musicians will also agree on the physical and emotional toll that endless touring can take on a human being. That said, a typical show day often consists of travel, sound checks, meet and greets, interviews, the performance, followed by more meet and greets. Well, as if this is not enough, a typical show day for Neil Peart on RUSH's ‘85/'86 'Power Windows Tour' would usually begin in the wee hours of morning, as Neil would journey on his bicycle from the previous city (assuming said previous city was within 150 miles of the next gig). Neil would often be on his bike for hours, arriving in time for RUSH's sound check. Directly after sound check, he would have dinner, which was immediately followed by a one-hour conversational French language lesson with a local French-speaking tutor. Upon completing his French lesson, Neil would proceed to a private practice room and warm-up on a small drum kit prior to the band's two-hour concert.

"Neil Peart is the textbook definition of 'Carpe Diem'. He truly seized every moment of life to engage in something of importance, be it music, reading, writing, philosophizing, bicycling, motorcycling, trekking through foreign lands, climbing the highest peaks, and devoting himself to family. He is a truly inspiring human being, whose breath of humanity has touched millions around the world. I am forever grateful to have known this unique and special man.

"RIP Neil."

• Like 6